South Beach Diet - Chili - Help!!!!!

View Full Version : Chili - Help!!!!!

RMT
09-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Ok - here I go again today - my husband threw me off my menu idea for today and I am at work. Looked over the Chili ideas but it seems as if somthing is missing - I usually use "pre-packaged" (sorry Ruth) spices and the starter chili then go from there - THAT IS A BIG NO NO. So this is what I have come up with:

Can of Chopped Tomatoes (use juice)
Kidney Beans (do I use the juice or toss)
Pinto Beans (do I use the juice or toss)
Black beans (do I use the juice or toss)

Green Pepper
Red Pepper
1 lb of lean ground beef

Oregano
Garlic
Cumin
Pepper
Chili Powder

Any other thoughts ideas??? Can we use tomoatoe paste in Phase 2???? So confused if I cant research ideas before the day I need to make somthing new.

Hope you all are having a good day :carrot:

Ruthxxx
09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Dump the beans into a strainer and rinse them with cold water. Tomato paste is fine if it has no added sugar. Check the ingredients.
This is basically the same as our chili recipes in the Recipe Section. Are you using meat in the recipe? Lean ground turkey or beef works well although I've also made it with soy crumbles.

RMT
09-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks Ruth - I checked all of the ones in the Phase 1 menu section - and just took a few items from each persons ideas (that I knew my husband would eat) - but I thought that it might not be very thick - that is why I wasn't sure about the paste - if I can't find any w/o sugar - how do you make it thicker? Also will use lean ground beef about 1 lb (I am on Phase 2 now).

Thanks again - any word on Harry?

Schatzi
09-06-2006, 03:13 PM
tomato paste is fine as Ruth says.. also Ragu NS and Prego Traditional are Low sugar sauces to add . I've used tofu in place of meat and DH is none the wiser!

gma22
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
The soy crumbles really work well as long as you simmer it for awhile so they can absorb the taste of the chili. The best vegetarian chili I ever had was this goofy little restaurant in Indiana called Cornucopia and I NEVER knew it was tofu crumbles until after the resaurant went out of business. I think their recipe is still on the web somewhere.

RMT
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Well I made the Chili and it was soooooo good :carrot: My husband said it was the best he ever had.

I let it simmer for about 2 hours - yummy and the best part is that I have enough for lunch for the next few days!!!!!! I even added a bit of ff cheddar cheese on top!!!!!

I also made the double chocolate pie from Phase 2 desserts and it was AWESOME!!!!!! My husband loved it too - and there is enough for dessert for the next few days - our neighbor does sb too she is coming over to watch Big Brother All Stars tomorrow - she will love it too - can't wait to share this site and the receipes with her (she was visiting texas and new mexico for the last month).

Well I am getting ready to shut down for the night (4 am comes way to quick :dizzy: ).

Wishing all you chicks a GREAT evening and talk to you tomorrow. Again thanks for all of your help and ideas - you truly are a great support system.

Night - Rosalind

beachgal
09-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Glad that everything worked out, Rosalind. Good for you on planning ahead! :goodvibes: The chili sounds awesome...I'm craving some now! :T

BTW, thickeners you can use in Phase 1 are arrowroot and pureed beans, but you can also use a tiny bit of cornstarch and/or WW flour for thickening in Phase 2.