Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Default health question- possible TMI

Okay ladies, this is slightly OT but I know we have very knowledgable people in our ranks here, so I thought I'd throw it out there. here's the deal: my cycles have always been very regular. About a year ago they started getting longer (i.e. 35 days between periods, but beginning to get irregular) and sometimes, like this month, don't come at all. I'll get the hormonal PMS type symptoms, water weight, moodiness, all that, and expect it to come within three days and then it just doesn't. I'm 22 so it's definitely not menopause or age-related. I exercise a fair amount but not enough to stop my periods, and my weight hasn't caused my periods to stop before, but I'm guessing that's the most likely factor. Is this something to go to the doctor about? It doesn't seem terribly serious or anything, I'd just like to know wtf is going on.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #2  
Opulent

Please do go to your Doctor and get checked out. It's likely nothing to worry about but it's always best to check in with your doctor.

(Why would this be 'TMI'? We all menstruate or have in the past!).
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I've had this type of problem before. It happened right around the age you are. I also noticed that my cycles became more regular after I lost a bunch of weight. Usually its nothing to worry about but if it continues, maybe have it checked out. Sometimes hormone balances occur for whatever reason and that will throw your cycle into complete madness. I went to the doc about it because I was really worried that it could cause problems down the road with having children etc. My doc basically told me that your body can change at any time and hormone levels can fluctuate with age, weight, stress, etc. casuing a cycle to change. I'm still not regular but everything is still ok-- I just go with the flow--no pun intended!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

How much are you eating? The only time I ever skipped a period in my life was during a very unhealthy, restrictive period. I would definitely go see a doctor, if your period stops due to diet/exercise, it's not very good for your body/long term fertility.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #5  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

If you have had more than one missed period, I would get checked out. It could just be a normal stage for you but it could also be something that needs to be corrected. I have PCOS and how I got dx'd was when I skipped every other month for 6 months with longer cycles before that started.

If it has been going on for awhile, it is worth getting checked out.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #6  
Jennifer

Dana, when I was heavier, I had very irregular periods and some of the other signs of PCOS (e.g., breakouts on my chin). These symptoms all have cleared up since I've lost weight. I would definitely see a doctor just to make sure, but I doubt it's anything to worry about.

p.s. Not TMI, for sure!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for your responses! You are all very helpful..
haha, now that I think about it, it's not TMI, i went into way less detail than I thought I would. haha.

Gretchen, LOL go with the flow is right. Hey, I shouldnt be complaining about this
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

DEF go to the doctor just to be sure.........it could just be weight or it could be PCOS, just hormones or you might not be ovulating at all which can cause a whole mess of problems.......don't take your age for granted. I'm 28 and a year ago I started having problems with my periods......thought I was pregnant and all tests came back negative. Finally got my period and then I would spot for weeks on end. I ended up having an ultrasound done and found out that I have endometrial hyperplasia---my endometrium was abnormally thick (because I wasn't ovulating properly) and can be precancerous. SO, I had to have a biopsy done, thank goodness that came back fine!
Now after many months of horrible periods and taking birth control for 3 months, I've had my first normal cylce in a year.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I have never had a regular period.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #10  
No description available.

Could you be pregnant?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #11