Exercise! - What is the funniest thing you have seen while working out?

Lydia227
09-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Today is my "one year anniversary" of going to the gym six days a week. During that time I have learned a lot, gained a lot of strength and lost 50 lbs :carrot:

During those first few months I spent a lot of time feeling really insecure about being there and mostly avoided looking around at what was going on around me until one day....I couldn't believe who/what had just passed by my treadmill. It was a gentleman in his late 70s with these HUGE headphones on with an antenna sticking straight up about four inches off his head. If these weren't distracting enough, he was wearing Tony the Tiger pants. No, really, they had little pictures of Tony the Tiger from the cereal box all over these blue pants. Now, how many boxes of cereal did he have to eat and in which decade did he eat them in order to get these pants. Okay, maybe I was just a little jealous because if I had a pair of those I would wear them today now too.:devil: After seeing this, I realized I no longer needed to feel insecure about myself while working out there... He did me a great favor that day.

What are some of the funniest things you have seen while working out that made you feel a little better about yourself or just brighted your day?

tinabinab
09-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm still in that insecure place, so I don't look around much - I don't want to catch anyone being amused by ME. Especially when I am trying to do lunges and am struggling (mostly unsuccessfully) with every ounce of me to stay balanced.

I mostly wanted to say congrats on reaching this milestone and for the awesome weight loss!!

Lydia227
09-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi tinabinab,

Thanks for the congrats. I've been "gearing up" for this weightloss for a long time. I still can't believe I've gotton this far.

Please don't feel insecure at the gym. I think that this is the underlying point of my post. During the past year I have seen so many different things some amusing and some downright dangerous,(people falling off treadmills) that I now realize that we all have our less than graceful moments. ( I am now thinking of a very athletic looking young man who scooted all the way back on a bench to do cable triceps only to flip all the way off legs over head yikes!) Seeing these things have enabled me to take myself a little less seriously and take more chances in learning new things.

Good luck with those lunges. Those are VERY difficult. Trust me no one is looking at you thinking anything is amusing about that. A lot of people avoid squats and lunges because they are so difficult. For most people, watching someone put all their "heart" into increasing their strength and coordination in a new exercise is a very motivating. It's why I go, to learn from others.

Right now I am not allowed to do any lower body exercises, stress fracture... so do some lunges and throw in a few squats for me too!

Have a happy leg day!

Ilene
09-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi girls :wave: ... Great thread question ... The funniest thing I've encounter these days is an old man 80ish, who's shorts are wayyyyyyyyyy tooooooo shooooooort, I can't believe he wears those... but he's the sweetest man and has been going to the gym for eons and always has interesting stories to tell me.

Tina -- I've been going to a gym now for 21 years, regularly, through two pregnancies, the longest I have been away from the gym in those 21 years is 7 weeks post pregnancy...Even on some days I get some insecurities. Sillly, YES :yes:, but then I talk myself out of it by saying to myself that I have every right to being there, I want to look my best and be healthy .... So those insecurities are totally normal ... I also want to say that NO ONE cares about what you look like, I mean it, EVERYONE that I've ever talked to in a gym, big buff guys, hot looking young girls DO NOT look around at newbies and make comments, they are all lin their little world when working out and if they're not they should be concentrating on what they are doing because that's an accident waiting to happen....Actually everyone I know admires anyone starting a gym and admire them for sticking it out, because we all do have hectic schedules and finding time for the gym and working out is no easy task, it takes a LOT of planning.

AnneWonders
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Once when I was out running, I saw a woman walking a goat. I guess that is more strange than funny.

I pretty much hate the gym and go as little as possible--I'd much rather be on the road or in the pool. But when I am in the gym, I'm usually thinking the following things:

When is that guy gonna be done with the pull up machine?
OOOO, wipe your sweat off the bench please!
My arms are really shaping up/looking awful.
Please, please, please don't let me fall off this treadmill and make an @$$ of myself.
Wonder who in here knows how to work this machine. Wonder what it is for.
Hope Bob doesn't yak too long today, I stink. Gotta hit the shower.

I like seeing new folks out there--it makes me feel like something is going right with the world.

And finally, a few years ago, I slipped coming out of the shower in the locker room and fell. Feet and towel went flying, landed right on my butt. Boom! Just then another woman comes walking around the corner. The look on her face--omigawd here is a fat, naked, wet woman sprawled on the floor! I am quite sure she didn't expect to see me there. I was mortified at the time. Now I find it hilarious.

It's not so bad.

Anne

Ilene
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh Anne!! :eek: .... But I must admit that you musta looked funny, big or small, that musta been a sight!!

Once, I got off my treadmill and for some stooopid reason I stepped on the treadmill beside me, it was running....Boy, did I go flying, like this little guy :tread: !!! Another time I was doing a bench press, the usual weight I use, I got it off the hooks and then I got stuck... I gently dropped it down to my chest, rolled it to my hip bones, was able to sit up and put the bar on the floor in front of me... AND there were like 10 guys all around me, do you freakin' think ONE of them would have helped me? NOOOOO, they were all in their little world... SEE, exactly what I said, we're all in our own world in the gym :dizzy:

Meg
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Ilene and Lydia are SO right - no one is paying attention to anyone else and if they do notice you, it's only to think the better of you. My biggest weight loss cheerleaders were people who I met in my gym because they saw and appreciated how hard I was working to change myself. I'm so happy whenever I see an overweight woman join my gym because I know from personal experience how hard it was to walk through the doors the first time. Every bit of me was screaming 'run the other way!' But the gym changed my life (understatement of the year :lol:) and it can change theirs too, if they give it a chance. :)

Funny things I've seen:

* the woman with the plastic container of antibacterial wipes who compulsively wipes down every surface of every machine before she'll touch it. The ratio of time wiping to working out is about 10 to 1.

* the old guy who stands on the crosstrainer backwards or sideways.

* the woman reading a novel while using machines. Honey, if it's so easy that you can read in the middle of a set, you need to increase the weight!

* all the guys who load on enormous weights and do 3 reps with a 2 inch range of motion, accompanied by giving birth noises.

Yogini
09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
* all the guys who load on enormous weights and do 3 reps with a 2 inch range of motion, accompanied by giving birth noises.

:rofl: Funniest thing ever! :lol: We have those guys too. :dizzy:

carolr3639
09-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh, this was worth reading just to get a good laugh!!! Lydia, did you change your eating, too?

tinabinab
09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Hehe, thanks for the encouragement ladies! I've found that while I don't just love working out, it is starting to become part of my automatic routine. That is a positive for sure!

I go to the gym at my work and I guess the funniest thing I've seen is that one annoying, balding, middle-aged guy who likes to hover around and talk to the trainers (all girls). He just can't take a hint. :) I'd say his ratio to flirting and working out is about on par with Meg's antibacterial gal!

I'm actually off today to have my first interim fitness assessment. I was 44.2% body fat when I started and my first goal was to reduce that by 2%. I'll post on my progress when I get back. :) UPDATED: I just finished my assessment and it was down to 41.0%! Yay progress!

Meg
09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Way to go on the bodyfat, Tina! :high: Losing more than 3% is awesome!! (I'm embarrassed to say that I started at 57% myself :o )

I forgot about those social butterflies too - it cracks me up to see them chatting up one person after another, with no working out. I just keep my headphones on and am not very friendly. Is there anything more annoying that someone like that interrupting you in the middle of a set??? Grrr ...

Lydia227
09-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks ladies for sharing all of your funny experiences. I'm so glad that I am not the only one who "sees" these things. And Anne, I am going to be especially careful on that locker room floor. Yikes!!! And goat walking?! Yeah I don't think that's listed as an activity in Fitday. But hey, maybe the their dog was on vacation.

Tina you must be really proud of the results of your assessment! That is fantastic! Now, are you doing some squats and lunges for me too...? ;)

Carol, I did change my eating pattern during the past year. The first two to three months of my workouts I just focused upon the cardio and weight training. Then I got to a point where I was just wasn't making any more progress in increasing my strength. So I began to do some research and found the Body for Life eating program.

Basically I eat to fuel my workouts. This was a difficult decision for me because I had previously, (five years ago) followed Weight Watchers with some success. I think I lost about twenty pounds in one year. The difficulty I initially had in accepting the BFL program was that I couldn't exactly count points... This drove me crazy. I finally decided just to have an open mind about the BFL program and give it a real try. The majority of my weightloss has taken place from January through July.

I also use Fitday to track my intake and try to keep a 40% carb and 40% protein balance in my diet. This provided me with a "fix" for my Weight Watcher point counting addiction.

Overall I really do think that BFL is a great plan for me because it provided great structure and real balance to my meals. I just look in my fridge to find a protein and a carb and I am set. Am I ever hungry? OH YEAH!! But that usually is only for an hour before my next meal and then I'm set for a couple of hours again. I'm rambling now so I'll stop...:blah:

BlueToBlue
09-08-2006, 04:11 AM
all the guys who load on enormous weights and do 3 reps with a 2 inch range of motion, accompanied by giving birth noises.

Are these the same guys who hold themselves up with their arms on the elliptical and then move their legs as fast as they can? They sort of look like a cartoon runner but I guess they are getting a good arm workout, holding up their body weight for that long...

- Barbara

Misti in Seattle
09-08-2006, 07:22 AM
LOL I love it about the men making all the grunting noises... we have those guys too LOL. But what irks me are when they walk away from the standing weight machine and LEAVE those weights on the bars so the rest of us can't do the machines unless we can find some nice guy to take them OFF for us.

I have to say though my funniest gym story would have to be told on myself. Several years ago I was at a new gym and tried the machine where you climb with your knees on the little platform and grab onto the bars with your arms. I had NO idea you had to lower yourself by lowering the weight with your ARMS, and I have very weak arms. So the machine pulled me up in the air and there I was... stuck. I could NOT get back down. A nice guy saw my predicament and came over and rescues me. Turned out he went to my church (it was a very large church so we didn't know each other) and we ended up becoming friends.

I too don't worry too much about what people think or get embarrassed much (or at least let it show). Guess I have learned to laugh at myself and when I feel FAT I just think "Well at least I am doing this." Actually I think the majority of people are glad to see people trying to get in shape, even if we obviously aren't, instead of out there somewhere digging into chips and Coke. :)

Sassy_Chick
09-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Well I just recently joined the Y in my area. Its the largest in the country. (US) I was a bit intimidated the first time I walked through those doors, but as I started to see, there is people of every shape, age and form there!!! And like everybody here has said, most could care less about what your doing because they are so into whatever they are doing! lol.

My funniest moment was myself as well. I wanted to use the stair step machine, the old type you know where you actually go up and down? Well I got on and I could not for the life of me figure out how the heck to make it go. lollllllll. :rofl:

chick_in_the_hat
09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
And goat walking?! Yeah I don't think that's listed as an activity in Fitday. But hey, maybe the their dog was on vacation.

No....but you can come pretty close with Farming, chasing cattle, nonstrenuous

The Dog was on vacation.....that's hilarious! :lol3:

My funny moment is more of an EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW moment.....the woman who must be in her 60's who wears thong underwear under her leotard while doing yoga poses....that's just WRONG on soooo many levels...well at least she's wearing the leotard I guess...

I'm with Meg - when I'm working out I have my headphones on...I'm not at the gym to socialize...

Misti in Seattle
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
When I was at a gym a few years ago a woman and her adult son came in to look it over. The woman was very "snazzily" dressed and dolled up, but not in that great a shape. She looked at all the people working out and said to her son... "Ewwwwwwwwwww look at how much they are all SWEATING!!" Her son looked at her and said... "Mom... that's what WE should be doing!" :dance:

Those of us who heard it had a good laugh out of it. :rofl:

FreeSpirit
09-14-2006, 12:49 PM
I think the funniest thing I've ever seen, is me and my personal trainer working out the muscle at the front of the leg. We worked it.. then we walked around the machine a couple of times on our tippie toes, then we walked on our heels like penguins. I was laughing the whole time because of how silly it looked.

shananigans
09-14-2006, 03:49 PM
What an awesome thread! Thanks everyone for sharing the funny stories.

* the woman reading a novel while using machines. Honey, if it's so easy that you can read in the middle of a set, you need to increase the weight!

Our gym has plenty of these as well. Although I’ve never exactly thought of the noises as “giving birth noises”. :lol: Good one.

We also have a woman who wears all one color outfits with matching headbands, think 1980’s aerobics gear, full make-up and hair. She makes frequent trip to the bathroom to touch up with the tools and products she keeps in her sparkly fanny pack that she wears all the time.

Sakai
09-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Gah! I have those grunting he-man guys at my gym too!
I remember when I first started going there with my Aunt 3 years ago. There was this man who would always try to work with more than he could lift. He would be doing leg lifts with like 170 pounds or some crazy number.. all I know was that he was using all the weight that the machines offered. @_@... my Aunt and I would just shoot looks at each other. And I remember when he was bench pressing with so much weight I thought the bar was going to snap. And he was having a hard time just lifting it off the supports and he did this with NO spotter *gasp* My Aunt and I had bets going on when he would finally hurt himself.

I do admit that I've done some funny things myself. A few weeks ago I started listening to books on Audio because I was just SO bored with music. Anyways. I had grabbed one that turned out to be one of the most funnest stories I've ever heard. People would look at me as I burst into laughter at nothing at all (I had the tiny earbud things that I hide under my hair). It got to the point that I was laughing so hard I had to stop whatever it was I was doing ( I think I was on the bike)

I don't even want to guess what they were all thinking :D

Ilene
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I laugh out loud too when I am running and watching the TV, especially Ellen Degeneris, she's such a hoot that woman... I love when I run and I'm watching her time flies by...

Mel
09-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Most of the funniest things or calamities at the gym that I've seen feature me. Maybe that just proves that most of us are really just paying attention to ourselves.

I'm usually careful to NOT wear my trainer shirt when I'm trying something for the first time, but last week I was trying a new (and very difficult) balance exercise involving a stability ball under my toes, one arm on a flat bench and attempting to do a dumbbell row with the other arm. I fell off the ball every time I tried to move. Most gym members know me, but an older woman I'd never seen before came over and said "sweetie, you're just not very good at that. Would you like me to hold the ball?" :lol:

I have

been stuck under a too heavy bench press bar with no spotter :doh: (aka wearing the iron necklace)

fallen off a treadmill and cracked two ribs

stood up and smacked my head on a squat bar

worn my shorts inside out for an entire day (and no one told me!)

done platform squats with a bar that was too heavy and ended up just sitting there unable to move

tripped over every piece of equipment in the gym more than once

chased men into the men's locker room for leaving 12 one hundred pound plates on the leg press

I'm sure I've done a few other laughables, but having smacked my head so many times, I can't remember them!

Mel

Meg
09-14-2006, 09:24 PM
:rofl:

You reminded me of the dumbest thing I ever did - walked into the round end of an Olympic bar on a squat rack. I had a perfectly circular bruise in the center of my forehead for more than a week. :o

Lydia227
09-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Chick in Hat: Ummm. Thong, leotard, yoga. It all sounds too complicated for me. Something bad is bound to happen there. Make sure you are not anywhere near her for the next class.

Shan: We have a few women who choose to wear makeup during their workouts too. I sweat so hard within the first fifteen minutes that I could not stand the thought of anything on my face except a towel.

Sakai: "People would look at me as I burst into laughter at nothing at all"
This is one of my fears as well. I listen to music and I really have to restrain myself from singing along with it. One day, I just know, I'm going to forget where I am and just really embarress myself. I did catch one young woman singing along to her ipod while she was running on the treadmill. She just looked so happy to be in her own little world singing her tunes without a care in the world...

Mel: Hopefully all of those bad things didn't happen to you on the same day. But, if you have a tendency to wear your gym shorts inside out...well, I just don't know what to tell you. And NOBODY told you?! Awwww. That's just not RIGHT. Where's the LOVE?! That's just too funny.:lol3:

Okay, it is time for me to 'fess up with my own embarressing tale. I decided to bring a little reading material along with me for the treadmill. I knew that I could not hold the book open to read it and still walk so I used two giant paper file clamps to hold the book open. I clamped them into place at home while the book was closed. When I got to the gym I hopped on the treadmill, programmed the machine, began walking and then proceeded to open the book. Yep, you guessed it. The darn clamps both sprang off my book in two different directions and I screamed "LOOK OUT!" They flew off so fast they scared me. :yikes: Fortunately, no one was injured. But man, they really travelled far. There is a lot of tension in those springs! :yes:

rebeleagle1965
09-14-2006, 11:15 PM
My gym has quite a few of the "workout Barbies" in regular attendance, too, and my story is about one of them.
I almost always see her when I go to the gym, and she's in good shape, 40ish-but she is always there sporting full-face makeup, lots of jewelry, and an entire can of aquanet-never a hair out of place. You can't help but notice....skimpy outfits and REALLY huge implants on a very small frame. I am always there in some ratty old shorts, sweating profusely, with chunks of hair falling away from the lopsided braid I did in my car in the parking lot:D , so I guess I just don't understand why people go through all that trouble to primp for the gym when you're gonna need a shower afterwards, anyway.
I recently decided to start venturing outside the circuit training, and went in another room of the gym to use the tricep machine, where they also have free weights. She was in there lifting a barbell from the floor, to over her head a few reps, and back to the floor (I have no idea what that's called). She was starting a new set and had just picked it up off the floor, when I guess in the strain she farted.....it was funny enough that this happened to someone who appears to be so "about appearances", but the best part was that she didn't even flinch-never batted an eye, or looked around to see if someone noticed-nothing! I had to leave the room to keep from laughing out loud, and now I'm terrified to make eye contact with her for fear I'll get the giggles like some juvenile idiot.

YP1
09-15-2006, 01:48 AM
I used to work with a "workout barbie". I never actually saw her at the gym (different gym), but I saw the pre-gym ritual. She'd get through a whole day at work with no makeup and normal hair. Then at 5pm she'd get her hair straighteners out and do her hair. Then she'd put make up on. Then she'd go to the gym.

I asked her once why she made such an effort (it wasn't as though she'd tarted herself up for work and then just went on to the gym afterwards, it was specifically done for the gym).

Her explanation? "I do my hair and makeup before I leave (I think she usually went on elsewhere after the gym) and I want to arrive looking as good as I leave so people don't realise I don't always look like this":dizzy: :lol:

Having said that, she did have a track record of picking up blokes (including trainers) at the gym. None of them seemed to be worth it though.

LynneA
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM
There's this middle aged guy who goes to my gym. Every day he wears the same outfit of blue jeans and walking boots, which looks uncomfortable enough but lately he's taken to drinking a large 32oz coffee whilst on the machines. It's kinda funny watching him on the ab machine whilst trying to balance his coffee in one hand.

Another funny sight was a group we cruelly called "the meatheads". They were 4 massively muscled guys and 1 skinny fake tanned blonde (girlfriend to one of the meatheads), who used to take up the entire free weights room and make very loud grunting/birthing noises whilst encouraging each other with cries of "come on baby you can do it". By the way, it was the guys calling each other baby, the girl used to just stand there looking bored. It was all I could do to stay focused on the treadmill. Comedy gold. Thankfully, they must have found another gym because I haven't seen them for months.

We've also got various elderly folks with fondness for massive headgear/antennae. Oh and Meg, that lady with the book seems to go to my gym too :lol:.

Kelendria_Starr
09-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Walked into the men's room my first time at the gym...seen things that scarred me for life :o

WhitWhit
09-17-2006, 09:49 PM
At the gym I used to frequent, there was a man about 45-50, very slim, and with an Elvis type hairsprayed slicked hairstyle. Of course he never did any cardio, always did weights in a wife beater and slim cut black jogging pants.

Sakai
09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
gah! yesterday I saw this lady at the gym that I've never seen before. She was in 80's style work out clothes.. Baggy shirt and tights. @_@ and she had like 10 pounds of gold around her neck. why the heck was she wearing all that to the gym??

almostheaven
09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I haven't really seen anything funny until just this week. Both embarrassing in any event. A gal at Curves starts working the machine that works you glutes. She kicks her leg back and....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip. There go those pants.

And today, I went to a local aerobics class for the first time. The gal beside me does this stretch at the end of the workout and...well...let's just say I'm glad the door was open.

Ray Kelly
09-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Lol, funny thread!

I've been around gyms for a while and have seen many of the things posted. Actually, I think I've seen the Aussie cousin of the old guy with the headphones!

One of the funniest times though was when an old homeless lady came in and started clearing out the gym, telling all the members that she now owned the gym and it would be demolished within a few hours so everyone had to go!

Ray

vouge09
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Whhhaaaattt!!!!!! ^^^^ Hahhaha

I used to laugh so hard at the football players in my gym class cause when they lift .. ( No offense to any men here but you all do it ) They make these cocky expressions and grins and when they bench they grunt and yell , all this going on when I used to just go in there for some hand weights and the stairmaster.

Ray Kelly
09-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Some of the funniest things you'll see in the gym will be done by the hard core bodybuilding guys that take themselves far too seriously!

Ray

vouge09
09-23-2006, 08:20 AM
yeah Ive seen them growling at each other when they bench next to each other ha.

Optical Goddess
09-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm by no means a gym veteran, but one of the first things I noticed:
'
1. Work out Barbie, complete with accessories and huge "mall bangs", she'd wear shirts that said "100 % perfection" or "Princess". She'd move so slowly and delicately as to not break a sweat. I never had the nerve to ask her what was the purpose of all that...should have.

2. Men in sweat pants or any kind of pants where it's obvious they have no underwear. A different kind of "Battle of the bulge".

3. Very obese women in very little clothing. I give them mad props for going and working out because it _can_ be very intimidating, but you can get just as good a work out with out clothes so tight that you can easily see cellulite through them.

4. Yeah....those he-men. There's a commercial for diapers where they show this cute little boy. There's a voice over of a "meat head", "Dude. I gotta work out...hit the gym..I'm so stoked', or something like that. I wonder when these guys watch tv if they realize they DO act like that. In the movie 50 First Dates, Drew Barrymore's brother is the personification of all that.

5. Women, generally "Work out Barbie" ( if mattell sells that in the future, whoever coined that phrase should make a profit) with fake nails three feet long trying to lift..or do anything...like button a shirt?

6. Me. Trying to act like I know what I"m doing as to not attract attention, using a machine totally wrong . I figured it was awkward because I just wasn't fit...never mind the whole mideval torture device appearance. Fortunately someone helped me on that one

7. When people are watching the tv, and using the head phones. You can tell what they are watching by when they laugh ( if it's funny ). When CNN or some such was on, a man next to me began giving no one in particular his editorial on Iraq/ Iran/ Bush/ Walmart/ kittens, whatever.

8. I worked at a dr's office and would see patients. They would want to talk to me, about thier glasses. I probably came across as rude when I said somthing brief, put my headphones back on, and went back to my work out.

I'm not there to look good. Not there to make friends. I'm there to work my *** off...

vouge09
09-23-2006, 03:13 PM
haha I arm wrestled my 215 lb brother and beat him today but my grunts and yells as I was wresting him was quite a sight

almostheaven
09-23-2006, 10:18 PM
3. Very obese women in very little clothing. I give them mad props for going and working out because it _can_ be very intimidating, but you can get just as good a work out with out clothes so tight that you can easily see cellulite through them.
Maybe they're preparing for the eventual weightloss and don't wanna buy clothes twice? :D

chrissym
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Oh maaaaaaaan!!!! I just peed.

THIS THREAD IS SO FUNNY. Sorry for the capitals. I am sending a few of these to pals.

I run regularly and was browsing for a place to put my hat. I just had to register and join here just so I could leave this comment.

You gals are my inspiration. :rofl: :lol3:

mandalinn82
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Was in locker room - woman walks in, puts down her stuff, changes to gym wear, weighs herself on the doctor scale, goes into the bathroom, does her business, washes her hands, and walks out the door....all while talking CONTINUOUSLY on her cellphone.

luflic
09-25-2006, 07:35 PM
These are great gym stories. Makes me sad I work out at home I have no funny stories accept at me.. Am glad I don't have to share sweat with others for that I am thankful.

Lydia227
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh maaaaaaaan!!!! I just peed.

THIS THREAD IS SO FUNNY. Sorry for the capitals. I am sending a few of these to pals.

I run regularly and was browsing for a place to put my hat. I just had to register and join here just so I could leave this comment.

You gals are my inspiration. :rofl: :lol3:

Tell me you didn't really, you know... :o
Oh, and welcome aboard. :welcome2:

Misti in Seattle
09-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh I love this thread. Humor helps!! GREAT idea for starting it!!! :)

Ray Kelly
09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
mandalinn82's post reminded me of another one. I was working in a gym once and I got a complaint about one of our female members stretching naked in the changes room (yes, even hamstring stretches and splits!). The complaints didn't stop their either, apparently she quite often ate fruit (peaches in this instance) whilst doing a number 2, and left the stone/seeds in the cubicle!

The funny thing about it was she was a local doctor!

Ray

Hale_Mary
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
My old gym was rather nice. It consisted mostly of serious lifters or regular people. So I haven't experienced some of the horror stories I've heard from other people.

But the funniest or weirdest thing I've seen at the gym was a guy who was working out on the machines. He was swinging the weights around as fast as he could, it looked very silly to see him using his entire body for a specific machine.

Another weird thing I saw was a woman who sat down in the middle of the gym floor to do stretches. This wouldn't have been a big deal, but there were several places she could have done this that were out of the way. ****, there was a small room specifically for stretching. But she thought the middle of the room, where people were trying to walk, was a good place to lie down.

That was as bad as it got as far I as I could tell. I had some pet peeves with one or two people, though. This gym is rather small and many times I would be the first one in the weight room. So I would turn on the radio to station I enjoyed and start working out. But this petite blonde woman would come in moments later and change the station without even asking. I wouldn't have mind if she had asked, but everytime she changed it to some crappy easy listening station. How am I supposed to squat to that!?

Another guy also turned the radio off so he could talk on his cell phone. GRR!

So, I might miss access to certain equipment, but it's nice to work out at home and not be pestered by other people. :)

lady hawke
09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
omg this was years ago but when I read the thread title it all came rushing back to me.
My girlfriend and I decided to try an aerobic exercise class (weighed alot less back then ;) ). My friend has a very large chest - and in the middle of class her bra broke and one boob went flying around before she noticed. Of course we left class right away and driving home we were very quiet in the car - then she says go ahead. if it were you I'd laugh and I started to laugh - I was laughing so hard I had to pull over because I was crying. Then she started to laugh and we laughed and laughed for days over it. Thank you for bringing that memeory to surface - I think I'll give her a call. :)

Ilene
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
mandalinn82's post reminded me of another one. I was working in a gym once and I got a complaint about one of our female members stretching naked in the changes room (yes, even hamstring stretches and splits!). The complaints didn't stop their either, apparently she quite often ate fruit (peaches in this instance) whilst doing a number 2, and left the stone/seeds in the cubicle!

The funny thing about it was she was a local doctor!

Ray:rofl: :lol3: OH MY GAWD!!! :o

WaterRat
09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I think there's a tribe of Workout Barbies out there somewhere. :lol:

At one gym I went to there were 2 guys, one obviously coaching the other in lifting- except they'd do like 4 reps and stand around posing for 5 minutes, then do another exercise once or twice, then flirt with some girls....

The best I think was the guy who'd come in nearly every day, change into shorts and his regular t-shirt, with black socks and street shoes :eek: and then get on an exercise bike and pedal very slowly and watch an hour of the evening news - never broke a sweat once in the 2+ years I watched him. Didn't lose any weight either!

I don't know how people read on cardio machines and still move fast enough to do any good. I love listening to music, and sometimes an audiobook, but that's too much to concentrate on at times (depends on the story).

bellakat
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I used to work at a gym and i feel down the stairs (concrete) once and landed on my butt and hit my back against them. it was peak time and there were ppl all over the stair well (its not a very big stairwell).

working at the gym ive seem some odd sights...
- the guy who after he had a shower walked out with no shoes and just his towel around his waist (peak time and with not a care in the world)
- women who wear skirts to the gym, sorry for all of you who do it but it still puzzles me
- this one barbie who walks on the tredmill on the highest setting with her fake boobs bouncing up and down (with the full face of make-up and straight hair
- the young school girls who walk around the gym floor following their boyfriends (or the guys they want to be their boyfriends) and then come down to reception and giggle and laugh about their great workouts exept they might have lifted a weight once and tried to use the tredmill but started running for 5 mins, then they started to sweat so they hopped off
- women who wear their long hair out to do cardio....i would be soooo hot (temperature wise) if i did that
- people who would have a large juice after their workouts (and before sometimes) then would complain that they werent getting the results they wanted and would want to quit the gym

they are not really funny but more pet peeves

anyway my 2 cents

Kat

ILoveKittyCats
09-28-2006, 03:48 AM
HAHAHA So funny!!! I have not stories, but excuses i have used to slack off in the past on trainers and physiotherapists...(I was on a 6 hour a day program so I needed a break every once and a while) maybe on a bad day you can use them ;)

Physio/trainer:"C'mon pick up the pace girl!!! What's the problem?"

Me:

"I can't move! I lost too much blood shaving my legs this morning...."

"I have swass!!! (sweaty bum) or swack (sweaty back) and I feel gross....don't come any closer, I forgot to shower or wear deoderant."

"I can't do anything involving any type of bending, my pants are too big and that wierd guy over there keeps staring at my bum crack."

There are a many more but I forget them, I was in training/physio for a loooong time so I have too many stories to remember them all. If I think of more I'll add them.

ILoveKittyCats
09-28-2006, 04:30 AM
OH OH I remembered a funny story!!!!

Well I got some free personal trainer sessions when I signed up for my gym and I took advantage of them, anyway, I was working in a core strength room just me and the trainer and the guy lets out a silent but deadly. It was so bad it filled the room within seconds and I was having a hard time breathing and the breathing thing was only made worse by me pretending I didn't notice anything.

I remember praying no one else would walk into the room and think I did it....I mean I own up to my flatulence and sometimes even the flatulence of others if I'm feeling silly, but I was not about to take the fall for that one...

no one came into the room by the way *phew*

I think it was the protein shakes that did it to him.....

jcatron243
09-28-2006, 12:55 PM
My BIL is one of those guys who lets out a big grunt/yell, he is a powerlifter (he's won several trophies, too bad he was the only one in his weight class :) anyway I asked him about it he said it gives him the edge to get the weights up.

I am afraid of most gyms because my first experience at a gym:
My sister and I went with my BIL to his gym (the only one in town) to work out on the treadmills everyone in there men and women all had the same amount of huge mucsles (all powerlifters) and looked at puny sister and I like we were in the wrong place.

I want to join a gym now, there are more gyms in the area, plus a curves.

mandalinn82
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
There is this one guy who always gets on the elliptical and hides a trashy celebrity magazine (I think its an InTouch) behind a copy of Business Week.

WaterRat
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh, we have a woman - well, really a 20ish girl - who works out hard, lifts heavy, is really in good shape, but it's obvious she's trained with/by guys: she grunts/yells as loud or louder than they do! :lol: You can hear her all over the gym - a large downstairs and two loft-type areas upstairs!

Meg
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
There is this one guy who always gets on the elliptical and hides a trashy celebrity magazine (I think its an InTouch) behind a copy of Business Week.

That is hysterical! :rofl:

Pat, we have a screamer too. It can sound a bit ... ummm ... racy sometimes! :lol:

bellakat
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
i just thought another one involving me...

my trainer usually gets me to do "wierd" stuff on stability balls, rollers etc that involves concentration (which i dont have a lot of sometimes) and balance (reasonably okay). Anyway i am often toppiling over when i have to put one leg on ball and do a lunge or something.

One time i was doing dips on the stability ball (v.hard) and i lost a little bit of concentration and fell on my butt and we were near a wall so when i lost contact with the ball it went flying into the wall then came back and hit me in the head!!:dizzy:

Another time we were doing push-ups on an ab roller (a bit like a SB but smaller and like longer and skinnier and i slipped on one side and the roller came up and hit me in the face then i fell onto it head first....:dizzy: it was peak time and we were in an area that the PT's train their clients and because i worked there at the time everyone knew who i was so everybody started laughing at me....i couldnt do anything but laugh as well!!

Needless to say my training sessions are more laughing sessions sometimes!!!!:dizzy:

ms.cate
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I saw a woman KNITTING on the treadmill once. It was the strangest sight!

mom2cole
09-28-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't go to the gym, but I do exercise at home, but here is my story. I work at a large retailer and this lady always comes in the store in her work out attire and she is always looking and buying my cellulite cream that you rub on your butt, thighs, tummy ect..... It is too funny, guess the gym isn't working for her so she thinks an $11 bottle of cream is going to make her skinny. We also had this lady in her 60's who was not in shape at all but who liked to where those shiny stretch pants with a thong/swimsuit type thing over them and her boobs were alway hanging out. So you got a eyefull when she was facing you and also got another eyefull when she turned around to bend over her cart full of stuff. You couldn't look at here without wanting to crack up, she also wore headbands.
We also had a lady who is about 85 who would wear full leather outfits, pant and all!!! (not gym related but funny)

Ilene
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
bellakat -- Laughing is a great exercise!!

I thought of one this morning, I was telling my hubby about her. This hippyish looking lady has looong gray hair tied in a bun, very loose cotton pants and top, nothing really wrong with that I guess, but the clincher is that she wears no bra!! Ewww....

mandalinn82
09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
We have a woman who sings along with her CD player - but only half-sings every 3rd-4th word, really breathily.

chrissym
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
hahahahahahaaha

once again, you made me pee. Actuallyu my eyes are watering. Too funy!!

I check in at this page every few days. You are right, laughter is great exercise.

freiamaya
10-01-2006, 12:20 AM
I was at a YMCA once, when a lady who was reading the posted announcements in front of the changeroom doors actually got so engrossed that she whipped off her swimsuit and began wringing it out. I have never seen a lifeguard move so fast to cover her up with a towel...

lizziness
10-02-2006, 01:09 AM
most of the things i see at the gym just mistify and disgust me...

naked woman clipping her toenails in the locker room.
the naked bending stretching can see that she's wearing a tampon lady...
the guy in the pool area in the thread bare speedo that gets in the spa, facing the jets, and then bites his finger and quivers... i am serious, this guy is a regular.
the lady who goes naked into the bathroom, pees with the door open, doesn't flush or wash her hands and then gets her suit on and heads to the pool.
Where do these freaks come from!?
Once there was a pretty large gal with a ton of prison tats and one of those spandex sports bra and shorts combos that were so popular in the late 80's...that was a sight to behold...

The only thing that annoys me more than any of these, is the teen and early 20's kids that come in with their girlfriend/boyfriend and play in the pool and make out. It is a pool for exercising. not for fun, and certainly not for foreplay. UGH!

Lydia227
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
LIZZINESS: EWWWWWWW! To all of it. I'm sure there are some really disgusting things that I just haven't seen yet but still... That's just not right....

MomToKaylaAndTwins
10-02-2006, 02:02 PM
My B/F has been going to his gym for about 10 years now. There is a guy who works out, takes a shower, puts his socks/shoes on, and then stands in front of the mirror buck naked and combs his hair. Why he needs to put his socks/shoes on first is beyond me.
My Fav thing at the gym is the older lady who wears a purple leotard over black tights and a fanny pack with her black scrunched socks. Totally 80's, I love it.

Sheila53
10-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Hhmm, Lizziness, I live in Oregon, too. I'm hoping we don't live in the same town! :) I don't think I'd ever go back to my gym if I saw what you've seen. *Shudder*