100 lb. Club - September NSVs (non-scale victory)

Sheila53
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Got any? Post 'em here!! Let's celebrate all those little things other than the scale that make this journey worthwhile.

My DH keeps hugging me and telling me how skinny I am, and how he can feel all my muscles. It's pretty gratifying. :)

tolose85
09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Ok-- here's one for me.. Someone at work today actually told me that I look thin?!? (Thin as in comparison to the Pillsbury Dough boy? :lol: ) I did have on a pair of pants that I bought exactly 1 year ago today that fit very snug and today, I put 'em on zipped 'em up and had room to spare! Yay! Small progress but huge motivation!

Laura Philly
09-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Our doorman said "Laura, you're shrinking". I wanted to kiss him, but don't think my hubby, or his wife would be comfie with that!

lilybelle
09-05-2006, 07:06 PM
My DH hugged me and patted my booty yesterday and said "I have such a skinny little wife". This made me feel great.

Lifeguard
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I went to my in-laws & when I walked in my father in law just gushed about how good I looked. I don't think it was altogether a weight thing - I've recently started wearing make-up - lol. It's an attempt to feel better about myself.

zandersnannyk
09-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Congrats to you all for the NSV's! I love reading these, it really does inspire me. I am going to have something to post soon, I just know it!

Heather
09-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Our school year is starting and I am seeing some colleagues for the first time in months and the compliments are coming fast and furious! I am sometimes embarrassed by all the attention, but then, I'm kind of angling for them too!

Heather
09-06-2006, 08:01 PM
So, 2 NSVs today:

We had a reception for new freshmen and I decided to just go ahead and introduce myself to them and chat. I do not find it easy to be outgoing in those situations, but I figured “it’s a whole new world” and just did it! I think losing weight may make social functioning a little bit easier! One less hurdle: the voice in my head telling me how fat I am!

I went back to the store I had shopped at over the weekend to buy some shirts I had put on hold. I tried them on, but they seemed a little big and are turtlenecks, so I can’t wear them yet (too hot). I almost didn’t get them because I figured they would be too big in a couple months, but then I thought, why not try one size smaller?

THEY FIT! Size MEDIUM. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that on a label before!!!!! Of course then I immediately tried on other types of shirt in medium – no dice. But STILL!!! :carrot:

Also, I wouldn't call this is a victory, but I have started to notice that a lot of my colleagues are overweight or obese. I just used to be the largest one, so never thought of anyone else as fat, but they are! I am no longer the fattest one around, not by a long shot!

famograham
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
WooOOOo HooOOOoo HEATHER!!!!

How awesome on all of the above! :)

I'm so proud and happy for you!!;)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:hug:
Linda

luflic
09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
:dance: :dance: Oh Heather one of my goals is to not always be the fattest in the room! I am so happy for you! Glad you tried on the Medium. Man it has to be HS since I wore a medium shirt Whhoooo

I am back on program after a slip up! So for me this is good.

Heather
09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your nice words, Linda and luflic! It may be the ONLY medium I can fit in for now -- I think in general the store runs big and none of the others fit... BUT, I will totally take it, and hope it's not my last medium!!!

Misti in Seattle
09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
I just used to be the largest one, so never thought of anyone else as fat, but they are! I am no longer the fattest one around, not by a long shot!

Exactly! I have been noticing this same thing. It seemed that everywhere I go I was always the fattest person there. And lately I am noticing that that is not the case! Of course I am still fat... but I no longer feel so fat that it is so blatantly obvious that I am the biggest one there!

I had an NSV today too. My boss asked me to walk down to the new Whole Foods Market with her at lunch. We walked down and looked all around the huge deli area and she bought her lunch to take back to the office. But the more I looked around NONE of that stuff looked all that appealing... it was a very nice, big deli... but it all seemed way too heavy and fat for me for lunch. I honestly DID NOT WANT IT!! I went back and ate the two boiled eggs I had brought with me, WASA bread and some grapes. And I was content!! WOW!

Heather
09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Misti -- WTG on not WANTING the food!

At the student reception yesterday they had these cookies I used to LOVE! I guessed I might not like them as well as I used to, but I wanted one anyway. But I didn't eat any. Resisted the siren call for over an hour! :carrot:

Glory87
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
I had an NSV today too. My boss asked me to walk down to the new Whole Foods Market with her at lunch.

Are you actually in Redmond? I know there is a brand new Whole Foods that just opened. We so should meet for lunch/coffee one day.

luflic
09-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Great for you ladies! So that Siren shriek can be ignored! Wow one day I will learn. Baby steps, baby steps.

Misti in Seattle
09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Are you actually in Redmond? I know there is a brand new Whole Foods that just opened. We so should meet for lunch/coffee one day.

Wow, I WORK in the Redmond Business Center... walking distance from that new Whole Foods! Yes let's do meet for lunch!! (I live in Northcreek actually... Bothell)

In fact today I walked to the new Chipotle and got lunch. I get only the "good" stuff on it and eat half per day. Have you been there yet?

Misti in Seattle
09-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh and I have another NSV... LOL I just recently realized that I can scratch my back... anywhere... without using a hairbrush! :)

BreakingFree
09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Misti -- WTG on not WANTING the food!

At the student reception yesterday they had these cookies I used to LOVE! I guessed I might not like them as well as I used to, but I wanted one anyway. But I didn't eat any. Resisted the siren call for over an hour! :carrot:

Whoa -

I call that a major coup! I have a REALLY hard time resisting free cookies, esp. if chocolate is at all involved. WTG :carrot:.

pgray1229
09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I resisted candy last night! This is a huge NSV, because I love it so!

Heather
09-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I've had a lot of practice avoiding these kinds of foods lately. Yesterday and today there are cookies and other baked goodies floating around the office. I did have one yesterday (it was VERY good), but today am just pretending not to see them!

Get n healthy
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I have resisted dounts, brownies, donuts again, and a brownie put in my face and offered...geeze. I really thought about the brownie today since it is weigh-in day and i could get away with a little splurge but it just didnt have the hold on me it used to.

Then i noticed today, i can sit with my legs crossed under my desk (lady like), i dont know how else to describe it. But it has been almost a year since i could do that. What a difference 20 pounds can make.

Then my boss bragged to my husband, "whatever stacy is doing, it is working. i can tell she has lost quite a bit". I really cant tell it to look at me. I mean at my weight, 20 pounds really shouldnt be that noticable so i dont know if it is just the way i am carrying myself or what, but the fact that i can cross my legs, says its working.

Then lastly, i had my splurge lunch and we went for chinese (i have been craving chinese forever). Where as i used to could clean my plate and then nibble at my daughters. I now only ate half my chicken and half the rice. I was tickled and VERY full. I was just in awe at how much i used to could eat. Today after eating just half of it, i was almost sick feeling.

beautifulone
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Great stuff everyone! :D

I'm my 6th week in . I can't explain right now, what this means to me but it's special :goodvibes I feel like I'm glowing a little inside.

PollyRB
09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
WTG everyone!

I have a few NSV's this week since it was my first one back at the dorm and I really, really thought I wasn't gonna stick to my plan here.. but I did! :)

My first victory was when I finally saw my friends after 2 months apart and they were all looking at me and said "you look different". I think my weight loss isn't that noticeable yet so they couldn't put their finger on it, but they definitely noticed some changes! ;)

The second was when I decided I wasn't gonna use the elevator at all. Last year I tried but I was breathless when I got to my room (3rd floor). This year, however, I can even climb the stairs at a faster pace and I don't get half as tired :carrot:

And the last and (for me) most important one, I've been sticking to my eating plan. If there's hamburger with fries for dinner I leave the bread and fries in the plate and eat just the meat and vegetables.. it was hard at first, but now I've gotten used to it! Oooh, and yesterday we went to a Turkish restaurant to celebrate my friend's birthday and I had a veggie kebab instead of a beef one.. yay me!:D

Misti in Seattle
09-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Fantastic job, everyone!!!!! :cheers:

Heather
09-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Polly -- It's hard enough to do this, harder I think when you have less control over your food (as you do), but keep at it and after a while, people WILL notice your loss. I started higher than you, but it was discouraging that almost no one noticed after 50 pounds... now people are falling over themselves to notice!!!

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
On Friday I had a nerve study done on my spine and both legs. The technician said it was really easy to find my nerves and place all the blasted needles because "you're so thin". It hurt like crazy. I'm a wimp. Guess it would have been lots worse if she'd of had to dig around with those needles when I was heavier.
Misti, I noticed the same thing about being able to wash and scratch my back .

Heather
09-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Lily -- I hope they have some answers for you on the nerve study!

famograham
09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Me too, that sounds awful!

:hug: :hug:
Linda

lilybelle
09-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks ladies, they did say that the left foot is basically "dead". That it could take up to a year for the nerves to heal and me to be able to use the foot normally. This happened just about 5 days after finally reaching maintenance. I am so frustrated with not being able to exercise like I normally do. I am now going to get an exercise bike and "strap my foot to the pedal" like the PT suggested. Maybe this will help me not feel so lazy and in such fear of gaining weight. The good news is that with the Luna Boot, I am able to get around my house. I'm not sure if I could have even gotten around had I still been carrying all the extra weight. I am very happy that although this has happened that I am keeping my weight at maintenance level with very careful eating.

lilybelle
09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
TMI, I know, but I'm able to now give myself a "bikini shave" without having my big tummy in the way.

Misti in Seattle
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
LOL well when standing I noticed in church the other day that if I lean forward just a tiny bit I can see my FEET!!! I can actually see over my boobs with just a bit of effort :)

lilybelle
09-12-2006, 03:33 PM
WTG Misti on seeing them feet. It was great for me when I realized I could tie my shoes without such effort due to the big tummy in my way.
Nsv today, I went to the store and didn't buy any sugar-free candy, which I love.

Heather
09-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Lily -- WOW -- up to a year to heal???? Criminey! I guess the upside is that they think it will heal??

I have an NSV: for the first time since college (I think) I am fitting into Queen size panty hose! And I WAS in Just My Size 4x's last year!

sept15lija
09-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, I just got back from camping up north, and there's this 25.4 km (15.8 mile) bike trail there that's really beautiful...it winds along lakes and rivers among the fall colours. DH and I tried it two years ago, and there was no way I could do it. I got so winded so quickly, we had to turn back after maybe 4 km. This year, I surprised myself - I did the whole thing!! I was hurting at the end, I'll tell you, but I was so happy with myself. DH kept telling me how awesome I was and how I really surprised him! :carrot:

lilybelle
09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
My NSV is that I exercised using my exercise ball. I have decided that even though my ankle is totally screwed up that I am going to do what ever I can possibly do to exercise and not use it as an excuse to gain this weight back. No more pity party for me.

luflic
09-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Good for you Lily are you in pain at all?
Wow Heather remarkable! Way to go!
I am going up north this week end to see the fall colors and my nsv is that I have planned ahead and bought all legal snacks to take. Now if only I stick to just them.

lilybelle
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
luflic, Thanks and no I'm not in any pain. The left leg is totally numb from the knee down.
My NSV, last night I took dinner to my DH at work. His old boss was there (that had changed shifts about 6 months ago). He told me, "my gosh, you are so skinny now that I didn't recognize you. You look great.". This just made my day. Compliments always feel so good.

BreakingFree
09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Lily -

I'm so sorry about your injury - I've been following your story on the Living Maintenance Board. I am amazed that even with that you are still exercising! I'm afraid if I were in your shoes, I'd probably being getting in a lot of "couch time." Terrible, huh? Guess I don't yet have a maintainers mentality!

My NSV is that I bought a size 16W dress to wear to a wedding this weekend. It's been years since I could wear a 16! BTW, how much difference is there b/t a 16W and a 16 Misses?

lilybelle
09-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks Mary, I got bored with "couch time" and am trying to exercise however I can. My "maintenance attitude" comes from fear of gaining. I can't afford to have to buy new clothes again. There's nothing worse for me than waking up and finding my jeans are too tight after all I have been through to lose this weight. I will keep it off no matter what obstacles I face.

sept15lija
09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I have another small one! My mom gave me a ring two weeks ago - and when I tried to put it on my right ring finger there was no way it was going on. I've been wearing it on my pinkie. So today, for fun, I tried to put it on my ring finger again. Voila! It went on! YAY! :)

lilybelle - WTG on using your exercise ball! I have one downstairs - those things are challenging!

luflic - I wish I could say I stayed with all legal snacks while I was camping. Didn't happen and I even gained a couple of pounds - even with all the exercise! Oh well the 2 pounds are gone now...just gotta keep going.

Yogini
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
lilybele, I hope you are on the mend! :hug:

Sept15, that is so great that you can wear that ring on your ring finger :D

Wyllenn, way to go! Fitting into 'regular' store hose (or any other clothes) is a feat (treat) ;)

Breakingfree, I'm not sure how much difference there is but that's fantastic!

Misti, seeing your feet must feel great! LOVE your new avatar!

luflic, good or you, you are back on track!

Here's my NSV: My daughter got a frozen yogurt and it was bigger than she wanted and so I told her 'Throw it out! Don't worry about wasting it! Only eat until you are satisfied and next time know to get a smaller one.' and handed her a dollar to cover some of her 'waste' (she spent her own money on it), so neither one of us ate what we didn't need!

Also, the makeup artist from the infomercial shoot yesterday said I looked 20 years old! :D

pgray1229
09-18-2006, 11:37 PM
First of all, congrats to everyone with great NSVs!!!

This happened Saturday, so forgive me. :D

My DH is on Atkins, I made this ham and cauliflower casserole. I usually make my dinner after I make DH's. His dinner looked so good. I had some on a spoon, ready to go into my mouth. I knew that DH wouldn't eat the rest, so I threw it down the garbage disposal!

I'm so proud of myself! :carrot:

zoritsa
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
My 13 year old son's Tae kwon do instructor made me feel sooo young today :goodvibes He asked me if I was dropping off my son or brother.....brother,lol.

DollyR
09-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Here is one for me. I went to the gym today and the towel almost fit around my waist. LOL I could wear it like a little sarong with a slight opening. I felt really good about that! Last year they would leave about 1/4 of an opening and I could not tie it. It was weird I know but it was something for me!

Sheila53
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Not weird at all, Darlene. I remember how good it felt the first time I put the towel all the way around me. It's a great feeling!

Love reading these NSVs! Congratulations to everyone who's posted!

Misti in Seattle
09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, here is one I have been looking forward to... as of this morning....

I weigh exactly what my driver's license says I do!!!

:dance:

lilybelle
09-22-2006, 04:47 AM
WTG on that Driver's License NSV, Misti. Mine now says I weigh 15 lb. more than I do. I think I need to get a replacement one. LOL, besides the picture is terrible with my eyes squinted almost closed. My whole family gets a great laugh out of it though.

Sandi
09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Awesome NSV's you guys!! Keep it up!!

Heather
09-22-2006, 11:45 PM
I changed at the locker room of my new gym today. In front of other people. I haven't been to a locker room since... college maybe.

Oh,and we joined a spiffy new gym. Which I am excited about. I can't believe I'm excited about joining a gym!!

TamiL
09-23-2006, 12:50 AM
LOL, my drivers license says I weigh 120, that wasn't even true when I got it at 16 some 26 years ago!! My picture is of a short 200 some pound woman with the weight of a teenager. Its a darn good thing the BMV doesnt have scales!

Congratulations!!!

lilybelle
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
My jeans are loose today and they felt tight last week. Yeah.

Sheila53
09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I did it! I ran a 5K today! This wasn't my first 5K (my third this year), but it was the first one where I've run the entire way without walking even a little bit. I have no idea what the time was because my eye was on the Finish line, not on the clock, but my goal was to run the entire distance so time wasn't important. I'm just so psyched! I told my sister, who came from out of town to watch (and now we're going for a 4-hour kayak trip--first lower body exercise, then upper body exercise, I guess :) ), that I was striking a blow for formerly morbidly obese grandmothers everywhere. Even a year ago, I wouldn't have thought I could do this. You really can do anything you put your mind to! :D

YP1
09-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I have one for you, I have now achieved both my goals. The scale one was to run 100lb, and the non-scale one was to run a marathon. Goal 1 done, and goal 2 done! I don't post here as often as I used to, but I just wanted to pop back in and tell you. It's surprising what you're capable of that you just don't realise. I'm not saying that everyone on here can run a marathon, but maybe there's something you've always dreamed of doing but assumed you'd never be able to do. Believe me, nothing is impossible, and if I can do this, you all can do anything you want to do, if you want to do it enough.

LisaMarie71
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
What amazing NSVs on this thread! Helen, it's so inspiring to know that you lost 100 pounds and ran a marathon! Wow! I hope that this time next year I'll be able to post that I ran a 5k -- that's my goal!

I had a little NSV yesterday. A friend and I went clothes shopping, and we're both overweight and broke so it's no real joy. I tried on pants in both size 22 and 20, because that's what I normally wear (and it takes a million pounds for me to lose a size because I'm tall and carry my weight reasonably well for how much there is of it). The 22 pants were way too big, and the 20 had some room. I was going to just buy the 20s because I didn't think the 18s would work, but I tried them on for the heck of it. I ended up buying two pairs of 18s! They fit just right. I know size 18 isn't great, but I actually went down a size or two, so I'm excited! Soon I'll be able to shop in my own closet for clothes I'd grown out of! :lol:

Heather
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Sheila, that's awesome! You should be really PROUD!

Helen, you didn't give all the details -- you didn't just run a marathan, there were a LOT of adverse conditions!

Lisa --Don't say size 18 isn't great -- IT IS! You've lost sizes and don't need to apologize! WooHoo!

DNR
09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I have had a couple of realizations lately - one is that when I get to goal, I'm going to have to get my wedding ring resized. It's spinning on my finger now and actually fits my 3rd finger. I may have to move it or I might lose it. If I put lotion on my hands, it will slide right off without any effort at all. I had a ring fall off yesterday when I was wiping my hands after washing them.

Also, it has been so long since I've felt bones that when I get situated to go to sleep at night, my knees knock together and it actually annoys me - I'm so used to fat there padding it and I don't have much there anymore.

I never thought I'd have these problems!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

DNR

luflic
09-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Shiela you are motivating this morbidly obese grandma! Congrats to All of you!! I hang my head I have nothing to contribute this time.

Heather
09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
DNR -- I had an odd nsv last winter when my wedding ring fell off! I thought I'd lost it, but it was in a shopping bag! Don't lose yours!

Misti in Seattle
09-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Sheila, that is fabulous! Congratulations!!! I am proud of you!!!

I had a nice NSV yesterday. The front desk receptionist called me over and said the woman who delivers our US mail had commented to her about me and how much she sees me out there walking when she is driving in and out in the mail truck. I don't know this woman... but she was nice enough to comment to the receptionist about how hard she has seen me working, how much weight I have lost and how great I look! It was a big encouragement, especially yesterday when for some strange reason I had GAINED five pounds suddenly! Yikes! :)

lilybelle
09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
My NSV, we probably have all heard the comment many times in our lives that "you have such a pretty face, if you'd just lose some weight". Yesterday, I took a long look in the mirror and for the first time I thought , "they are right, I do have a nice face". It took losing weight to ever see this for myself. I always thought I was ugly and felt so ugly, but now I am starting to see myself as more attractive and feel a lot better about my own appearance. After 2 1/2 months of maintenance I am starting to accept my body.

Heather
09-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Lily -- That's one of the best NSVs I've heard lately!

When I saw myself in gym clothes and thought I belonged in them I started to realize all the ways being fat my whole adult life has affected me, all the things I wouldn't let myself do or feel about myself.

That's an awesome victory you had today!

lilybelle
09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
wyllen, thanks so much. It just feels so good to see that we are starting to feel better about ourselves. Sometimes I think we were so hard on ourselves and others made us feel terrible about ourselves too. It's nice to know that we can improve our self-image. I know that I'll never be a super-model, but I can at least appreciate myself and be happy with what I see in the mirror everyday.

I think your NSV on the gym clothes was excellent. It feels so great to see those changes and think "heck, I look pretty darn good".

After all, doing this for ourselves and feeling good with ourselves is what this is all about.

adell
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I've recentley returned to being a stay at home mom (after 2ish years of working and schooling) and my daughter just started kindergarten. Before she started my daughter and I agreed that we wanted to walk to school together and back every day!

So far, we've managed to meet that goal and I found we have the loveliest talks together on our walks! I also added a goal for myself to keep walking after I drop her off. My goal is to walk for 2 & 1/2 hours while she's a kindergarten and pick her up after my walk. So far I've managed about an hour long walk a day!(sometimes if my hubby is home from work I get him to come with me and he's admitted that he loves it =) I am very proud of myself! I can feel my legs tingling after each walk and it feels great!

Misti in Seattle
09-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Well I kind of had a similar experience today. I needed to get a new passport and went to have the photo taken. Even though I went from work -- so makeup was pretty worn off... and my hair badly needs trimmed and colored... I decided getting it done quickly was more important than glamour. But when I saw the picture and my OLD passport picture... which was taken in 1985... I realized I am prettier NOW than I was then even though I am 21 years older! That was a nice feeling! :)

lilybelle
09-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Misti, that made me smile. Congrat's on realizing that you are pretty. Doesn't it feel so good to feel better about yourself. I have actually contemplated posting my old High School senior picture, for almost 30 yrs. difference, there isn't that much change now that the weight is off.

jmacway
10-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Several month ago I set a goal for myself to lose weight, get healthier and to climb the rock wall on a cruise I was going on in September. I did go on that cruise and had a wonderful time, put on a few pounds though. I did not make it all the way up the rock wall but I am really proud of myself for giving it a go. I was scared and full of nervous chatter. It was much harder than I thought. I got about 5 feet up the wall.

Misti in Seattle
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Wow Joyce that is super! Congratulations on your big effort and making it partway up that wall!

Sheila53
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Joyce, that's wonderful! :bravo: