Carb Counters - Chick Chat Sept/5 - Sept/10

View Full Version : Chick Chat Sept/5 - Sept/10

RobinW
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Dd started a new school today, she wasnt sweating it at all...but ole mom is. I'll be happy when she gets home!!

Day 3 for me today. :whoo:

lilybelle
09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi, I made it through the holiday with eating on-program. This was good after my lousy week last week. I didn't get to go fishing because it was raining.
Is anyone else a fan of playing Texas hold-em poker. I may enter a women's circuit event in Tunica, Mississippi for Oct. 1st. Just try my luck. First prize is $600,000 , I play on-line poker a lot and do pretty decent. Helps with my boredom. I am a lot better at it than my DH.
My DH leaves Sept. 16 th for his annual gulf coast deep sea fishing trip. He goes with 16 other men, most of them all family and friends and they have a blast. Has anyone else ever eaten shark? I tried some last year and it was very good.
My DD is home from school sick today. I hope she feels better soon. It seems every year when school starts, she gets sick right off the bat.

RobinW
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
MsChris.....WTG on the inches lost!! :cb: :cb: :dance:

RobinW
09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
mornin' :coffee:

lady_adnerb
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
School started and I'm trying to get into a routine. It'll be a week or so before I finally get into one. :lol: Eating is going well so far. :)

lilybelle
09-06-2006, 01:34 PM
WTG Brenda on the eating well. I am doing OK with mine too.
I went to physical therapy today for my foot and the PT lady said that after the nerve study this Friday that I will most likely be sent to a neurosurgeon. Whatever it takes, I want my mobility back.

RobinW
09-06-2006, 02:26 PM
1/2 way into day 4....Im doing alright. The withdrawals this time are a bit more intense! Ive stocked up on very filling foods, and it seems to be doing the trick.

I have noticed tho....even without the large amounts of water, Im still p'ing lots :dunno: I did this on purpose, I needed to see if the water and this woe was causing my heartburn to be so bad. I decided, last night, nope, its got nothing to do with the water. I dont know what it is, but Im eating too many tums lately. Im going to have to check out the pharmacy and see what they have.

Routine certainly helps me Brenda, good going on staying op!!

Have a great day ladies

lilybelle
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Good morning everyone. Great day today. The weather is getting so much nicer. I like the fall time. I'm thinking of planting hedges but don't know what types and want to find some that will survive the upcoming winter.
Robin, when I have heartburn the OTC pepcid ac work well for me. I have noticed a significant decrease in heartburn with this woe. However, I can't drink water soon after waking up, I have to wait til I've had some food to tolerate water. Good luck with this.

RobinW
09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Evening :wave:

Lilly, thats what I bought last night. They had a small package, I figured Id try the 8pack before buying and spending lots on something that might not work that great. But so far so good! I took one before I went to bed, and only needed one extra tums........and I havent had any yet today. Life is good!!

Im really struggling today. I know its because TOM is coming, because Im craving large amounts of red meat!!! and SUGAR of course :rolleyes: Dh wasnt home most of the day, so that made it alot harder. He is a great supporter!

Im struggling, and trying....I need to remember, just for today....and the day will be done.

Where is everyone today??

MsChris
09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Ok - I have got to find Maggie - because I am experiencing the same issue she is and I am hoping she found a solution. I am eating on plan - not one cheat, exercising twice a day. I got on the scale this morning and I am up just over a pound. TOM is not due for another 12 days. I keep thinking to myself, "it is muscle from all the added exercise". I took advice I have given prior and I checked my measurements again.

My waist is still down from 41 to 39, and thighs are down from 24 to 22. Chest, Hips, Wrist, and Arm are the same. The fact my waist and thighs are down convinced me to go ahead and exercise again (once instead of twice today), but OMG, it is so depressing to see the scale going the wrong way!! I don't want to back down my exercise, but the scale is more encouraging than measurements.

I need motivation.

RobinW
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
did you just start adding the 2nd workout? if so, thats why. Give your body time to adjust, working out more, tells your body to hang on to water. Be patient....in a couple days Im sure you will see quite a drop.

lilybelle
09-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Robin, I'm glad the pepcid is helping. It helps me.
Ms. Chris, I agree with Robin. Your muscles are probably retaining some extra fluid and you should see a nice drop soon. Losing weight is never linear, mine bounced all over the place but in the long run, it worked great.

lady_adnerb
09-08-2006, 07:21 AM
I've GOT to get it into my head that there's NO excuse for not eating OP!! Today I'm going to try and work some exercise in AND my water. It's back to being OP because quite frankly I wish I'd learn that eating junk just makes me feel like icky. UGH. Hopefully I can drink enough water today to make all the bloated feeling go away!!

RobinW
09-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Im having trouble getting my water in too....certain parts :rolleyes: are so bloated. I dont want to drink it :(

The withdrawals are alot worse this time, holysmokes! :eek: Im finally starting to see some improvement on a few things today tho. So thats good.

I didnt get any exercise in yesterday, but I will today....I promised to deliver some samples to a customer, and I'll have to walk, cuz dh is out most of the day. Should be a very nice walk :D

Have a great day ladies

needtolose4me2
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
MsChris - Sorry, I've been MIA. Not very happy with myself lately and I tend to withdraw a bit.
No, i haven't found a solution! In fact yesterday I was so mad I had a croissant! TOday I am in a better frame of mind and am back on track. I have gone from 151 2 weeks ago to 154/155 yesterday.
I don't exercise all that much. I run on the treadmill everyother day for an hour. and I haven't been cheating except for yesterday.
only thing i can figure is that I was away for a month and didn't exercise. Maybe my body is doing what lillybelle and Robin said. To think i was approaching my final 10 and now I'm just about looking at 15 to go again. AHHH!! but I know that cheating will only make it worse so I'm going to hang in there. It HAS to move DOWN sooner or later. I guess my goal date of (?! will have to be moved to DECEMBER 1 at this rate! But I am so determined to get to my goal. Hang in there with me. THis too shall pass!
Maggie

lilybelle
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Hang in there Maggie, you will get to goal. I had the same trouble with those last 10 or 15 lbs. It took me forever.
I had my nerve study this morning. Yes, it was horrible. They did both legs and my spine. Lots of shocks and lots of needles. They told me I would be in a lot of pain tonite,, I came home and took a pain pill and now I'm sick at my stomach. So, I'll see everyone later, I'm going back to bed.

mealybug
09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
hi everyone,
Im on day 2 on my second try at induction. So far so good.. no weight loss yet.. which I know maybe it is too soon but the first time I tried it I had lost 4 pounds very quickly and then regained it when I went offplan. I dont know why this time it seems to be more stubborn going away maybe becasue I am eating more approved foods to keep from craving carbs so my total food intake is pretty high. I'm also very headachy which I dont know if it is due to carb withdrawal or if Im having a bad reaction to Atkins Advantage shakes.. I hate that sucralose is in every low carb food!! Id much prefer if they just didnt add sugar and let it be!

needtolose4me2
09-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks Lilybelle, I remember how long it took you. I don't wnat to give up either. Ihope youwill be feeling better soon! Take care of yourself!

Mealybug - Congrats on 2 days in. A word of advice - forget the shakes, they aren't any good especially on induction and forget the scale. Weighing once a week is plenty. I've done that too where one day I'm down and the next I'm up and then I get discouraged. Just concentrate on the food list, suffer through the headaches and stuff and you'll be feeling better in no time! Honest!
maggie

RobinW
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Good Morning :coffee:

Mealybug :welcome3:

Lilly~ Im so sorry all this has happened, healing vibes :goodvibes: coming your way, I hope your feeling better very very soon!!

Im doing good, all puffy tho this morning :( I am suppose to weigh in on Sunday, but tom is due, and I think making an early appearance so I am going to stay off of it until its all over with. Should make for a nice drop by then eh?!!!!

Have a great day ladies.

lady_adnerb
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Took my measurements and weighed in today. Disappointed with myself (of course). So now it's time to get to the weight/size I want to be. And to be HAPPY with myself. ONWARD!!!

lilybelle
09-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone. I wasn't in pain last night like they said I would be, so it was a good night. I found a used exercise bike that I can get next weekend from a neighbor lady. I plan to strap my bad foot on it and get my butt in gear. I am so terribly bored with just sitting around. My food intake has been alright and my weight is still in my maintenance range, so I'm happy.

vouge09
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Thats great !!! Hope you girls dont mind if I jouin in! Welcome Mealybug i too am on day three of induction for the 2nd time. Dont get discourgae. You are probabbly tired cause your body isnt used to no carbs , but after looking at your weight stats I have to say you shouldnt be on a diet necesarly. Your weight is kinda one of my goals!!! but your welcome to lose a few inches on the hips!

My advice...look for some great recipies like low carb cheesecakes and deserts and eat them alot but count your carbs cause if you do that I guareentee you wont feel like your dieting and the weight will melt of of us!!!

RobinW
09-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Good Morning

Vogue :wave:

Had a pretty good day yesterday. Tomorrow will be quite a test. I have a seminar from 10-2 and lunch is being served. But I havent a clue what is on the menu. I really hope they dont just plunk a plate down infront of me! Im a little bit worried about this.

Dh and I have been busy with sign stuff, and its been keeping us fairly busy. Its been nice! Except for the learning part! :lol3:

Anyway, have a great sunday ladies!

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone. Good Sunday morning. The weather here is very nice. Hope everyone has a great day.

mealybug
09-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone for advice. This diet is a very differnt experience for me so it is great to have this community to get personal advice from when things seems too strange.
Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. I'm spending mine relaxing a bit with the hubby and also packing as we are soon moving to Oregon.
The headaches got much worse yesterday and I had it from about midafternoon and all last night. This morning it was gone though. My theory is that my carb withdrawal is being made worse by my love for hot pepper. I dont know if anyone else is addicted to pepper, if so let me know if you had a similar experience. But I think that since pepper is a stimulant, it might have the same sort of action as caffeine..increasing insulin production.. and since there is barely any carbs to work on it gave me a terrible headache? Has anyone who is having caffeine on the induction phase had this experience??
As for me wanting to lose a few pounds.. I definitely do... Im just not hapy at my weight.. I do have quite of a lot of extra flab around my tummy and I am not consisstent with excercise. But the main reason I decided to do Atkins is that I found that I am insulin sensitive... all four of my grandparents on both sides suffered from sever diabetes and my mom initially got diabetes while she was pregnant with me. Since then I have seen how terrible that disease is... she has even had chroninc kidney failure becasue of it as well as a disease of her retina so she is going blind as well...
I want to get on teh right nutritional track from now before it is too late.

mealybug
09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Lilybelle,
I wanted to also say congrats on ur amazing determination and strength in acheiving ur goals!!!
I was wondering whether all of the loss was due to being on teh Atkins diet and also whether you kept a check on your blood work like cholesterol and lipid levels and if that also decreased on the diet. It would be interesting to hear from people on this forum whether that is really true about cholesterol and other factors for heart diease actually going down despite tha higher fat content of teh diet...
I cant afford to have blood tests done as I dont have insurance to go to doctors... so that is one part that scares me a little.. whether it could adversely affect my health
thanks

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 02:07 PM
mealybug, thanks. I had initial blood work for cholesterol and trigycerides done but will be having them taken again in December. With the particular liver diseases that I have, astronomically high cholesterol levels (sometimes over 1000) are the norm. Mine was 500 when it was last tested. I am very curious to see if it has came down. My doctor said it would most likely still be very high due to the liver. My blood pressure, heart rate and liver enzymes have improved dramatically and my medications have been decreased. My edema is tons better and my diuretic is also decreased. Yes, all of my weight loss is due to being on Atkins. Even though I have been very sick my weight was steadily increasing before going on Atkins. I am much healthier now. I am also on Glucophage for Insulin Resistance and PCOS. My blood sugars are completely normal now, they were as high as 500's before and I was on Diabeta at that time. I understand your concern about diabetes. I know that my eyesight has gotten much worse over the last few years and I need to see an opthmologist. I have medical insurance and dental but not vision insurance.

vouge09
09-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Anyone who loses so much weight is such an inspirtation to me that I cant even descirbe the hope I get from before and after photos.

mealybug - I have a caffine addiction, I drink 2-6 cups of coffee a day , luckly coffee is only like 1 carb if you drink it black so I dont have these headaches , but this is day 3 for me on the diet and though I feel sleepy , I have done this before and I know it will pass.

Today is football day and my brothers and dad are so pumped its keeping me awake!

GOOO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOOT WHOOT CHICAGO!!!!!

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 02:29 PM
vouge, I am also a coffee addict, I drink 4 or 5 cups easily each day. Funny thing is that before starting Atkins, I didn't even own a coffee pot. I just wanted it one cold winter morning and sent my DH to get us the supplies, now we both drink it all the time.

mealybug
09-10-2006, 06:25 PM
hmm?? I thought that you're not supposed to have caffeine because it causes ur body to produce insulin just like sugars?? I'm not sure now but I thought I had read that in Atkin's book. That is why I switched to decaf with heavy cream and no sugar. maybe no caffeine is just for induction phase?
Well today I had no headaches and felt a lot better... I bought those ketostiks and it does have a smudge of purplish color! I will weigh tonite just to give myself a boost: I've been dropping a lot of water so Im pretty sure some weight might have come off.

vouge09
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
That is great mealy bug . you know I havent weighed myself in at least a month . I truthfully have no idea how much I weigh. Well i know I am at least 180-190 but yea I feel like even though its been three days on induction my self esteme is up so much , I look at my stomach in the mirror and feel good and call me crazy but I think It already began to work . I need to get a scale so i can do weigh in's too. I used to have one and it told me I weight 215 lbs, but I know I KNOW I did not weight that much and i asked everyone ...do I look like I weigh 215 lbs...it was pretty funny!

Anyone know where I can get a trusty scale like a walmart for how much?

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I probably shouldn't have the coffee, but I have been having it for about a year. I haven't noticed it hurting my weight. My blood sugars are good now. It would be hard for me to give up. I might try decaf sometime, I have never tried it.
Good luck with the ketostix, I haven't ever tried them.

vouge09
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
whats a ketostix?

lilybelle
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
vouge, I know what you mean about the self esteem. Mine got better that soon also. Just knowing that I had gotten started and doing something to improve my health.

vouge09
09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Its like , I see brownies and cokie dough ice cream , and I think about it , but I just cant bring myself to eat it. I used to give in lately the past month or so but now I am just like no thanks and its over wiht , its not like no thanks then I think about it and mabey sneak it later.

Thats where I am at mentaly. I am so Hakuna Matata at the moment , its so nice feeling. I am so at peace. Yes i am dieting but I just feel so good.

Now I cant say that I am being real healthy right now cause I dont feel real healthy. I eat nothing but meat , meat, eggs , and meat . I am so going veggiatirains atkins lifestyle when I am done.

I feel bad about the meat I am eating , but this is a lifestyle that works for me , in a year or two when I reach my goal weight I am going to keep up the low carb atkins lifestyle but going vegitarian.

I know that sounds hypocritical but Im serious. eating so much meat has made me not enjoy it like i used too, plus this isnt the healthiest diet right now. I am losing weight , but full of fats . But I do watch my calories and never go over 1200 daily!

mealybug
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Well a ketostix is those urine analysis strips used by diabetes to see if their bodies are using carbohydrates.. but Atkins reccommended that dieters can use it in the diet to see if they are in ketosis and to what degree. It is nice to see the stick turn purple. I think it would be especially helpful when Im on the later stages of the diet and trying to find my optimum level of carb intake.. I will be able to see exactly when my body stops burning fat and goes back to just using carbs.

Also, interesting that you feel that way about going vegetarian, vouge! I feel teh same way:carrot: ... yummy dancing carrotz...
Actually I initially tried to do teh induction phase as a vegetarian (with eggs as my main food) but it was pretty much impossible for me.. but definitely once I get into the lifetime maintainence stage I will be going back to veggie.. By then it will be doable just with eating whole greain foods and legumes instead of regular white bread etc...
oh..gota go.. hubby is calling me to get ready for aikido