Simply Filling/Core - Core Support board for Week of September 3-9, 2006

Katpo
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
New week, new board!

ontarget
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
thank you for the new pages, kathy.

:welcome: paula. it's good to have you here.

rhonda, how about sharing your recipe for pork ribs? i'd love to have it. now if it's a family secret recipe, remember--i'm family. (hint hint) curtis and i watched "america eats" on tv the other night and it was all about ribs. i've been starving for some since. i have a gf in south carolina. i need to find out if everything's all right at her place. is your rain over yet?

kewl!!!!!!!!!!!! kathy. i love the hat.

everyone have a great sunday evening. i'll be back later.

Tejas
09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Here is the recipe:

Beef Short Ribs Braised in Port

3 T Peanut Oil
5-6 pounds beef short ribs
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cups beef broth or stock
2 cups Texas Port
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
2 T cold, unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces

I do not add the butter. Red wine, with less sugar than port, would work as well, I'm sure. I trim the ribs mercilessly trying to get rid of almost all fat. I marinate the ribs over night in the wine, broth and onions.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large deep-sided skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Cut the ribs into manageable sections. Brown the ribs on all sides in the hot oil. Transfer to a roasting pan.

Add the onions and carrots to the skillet and saute them in the same oil for about 5 minutes.

Pour the vegetables over the ribs in the roasting pan and add the beef stock/broth and port. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook the ribs for 2 1/2hours or until the meat is tender.

Using tongs, transfer the ribs to a platter. Strain the remaining liquid into a saucepan, reserving the vegetables. Put the vegetables on the ribs on the platter.

Boil the liquid until it is reduced by half. At this point, I strain the liquid and pour it into one of those fat separating cups with the spout at the bottom. I do not use the fat. Taste the remaining liquid, adjust the salt and pepper and pour over the ribs and vegetables.

(If you use the butter, whisk in into the liquid before pouring over the ribs and vegetables. Better, yet, don't use it!)

ontarget
09-03-2006, 10:42 PM
rhonda, thank you for posting the bbq recipe. i'm going to get the ingredients and make some this week.

our company just left. i stayed out of the homemade cookies but did have some mashed potatoes. now curtis and i are going to sit in the hot tub. life is good.

Froufy
09-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Here you are! I thought I had lost you!

Welcome Paula :wel3fc: Sounds like you know your way around Core and we look forward to your good advice!

Vickie - glad you like Wicked - would love to see it! (dd keeps walking around the house singing a song from it - duet by good witch/bad witch? - says she wants to do this as duet/musical theatre piece for competitive dance!).

Kathy - sounds like you did some great preparations for the party (can I borrow that super duper cleaning machine? sure could use it!:o ). Hope the party was fun! Love the hat too!

Melissa - hope you had a fun time with your family!

Rhonda - sounds like Toronto got some bad leftovers from Ernesto!! We have had a gray, drizzly, rainy day - but nothing major (yet?). Enjoy the ribs!

oh man! i want to go to bubba gump's. i haven't eaten at one of them in over 3 years now. i'm wayyyyyy overdue.
are you taking a puter with you? you know i'll be living through your posts about the cruise. Sandra - I have never actually eaten at Bubba Gumps (none in Canada) so I am really looking forward to it! So what should I be ordering???

As for computer - not bringing one along - but there is a lovely internet room on the ship and I shall be purchasing a 'package' and will try to check in when I can! (here's where I'll be: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/243616798/1243623324038879289dxHgGv)

In fact - have a look at some of the other hot spots on the ship http://travel.webshots.com/album/243616798akEIzD (click on 'view as slideshow' on the right) - I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!:dance: (and more good pics here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552697116bAjvxb)

...and I am almost packed - well sorta. Got so nervous about it and hauled up the suitcases (my bedroom looks like a luggage store) - not sure which pieces to bring! Biggest is too big - medium one sure looks like it shrunk??? I have most of my clothes in there now (according to the Official Froufie Packing List) - but still have laundry to do and so more clothes to go in! The smallest piece right now is being used for sundry items (snorkel, mask, beach bag, shoes, toiletries, hairdryer/brusher and other odds and ends)...might have to use a rolling duffle if I run out of room! Still need to do socks, undies, bras, bathing suits, and right on top - outfit for boarding the ship!

Yes I will need to iron my clothes when I get there (there are laundry rooms on the ship complete with washers/dryers and ironing board/irons) and have my trust bottle of downy wrinkle release (purchased on another trip as they don't sell this in Canada!!!!:mad: ). I know I will get more frustrated as things don't fit - and I believe I have given up on the black sequin blazer - it will take up too much room, very heavy and frankly I will only wear it once so this is not practical. Hope it all works!

Bedtime!

Frouf

ontarget
09-04-2006, 05:53 AM
i have been awake over 2 hours and finally decided to get up. i know i'm going to be a zombie before long if i don't get some sleep. oh, well.

frouf, girl, i am already getting ready to go with you on this trip. i can see my luggage all over the bedroom here--and what a sight! i have my packing list and am checking off things as i pack. i don't have any evening wear yet, but i'm going to the mall tomorrow.

well, a girl can dream, can't she? i am very excited for you, frouf. sure am envious, too. i'm glad you'll have puter access so i can be on this journey with you. thank you for the sites. it's good to see where you're going. you're going to have a blast.

as to bubba gumps? i'd say eat whatever you want. i don't know about in florida but in hawaii they have "lava flows." be sure to have one of those if you get a chance. it's a pina colada with a strawberry swirl. out of this world!

Katpo
09-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Good morning, all. I hope everyone else slept pretty well last night. Sandra, I'm sorry you didn't -- what's up, girl? That's not like you! Hopefully you're sleeping now.

Frouf, this week is either going to fly by, I'll bet! It'll be sailing time before you know it! Sounds like you're going to have a super time! Oh and I wear a size medium t-shirt, thankyouverymuchforasking!

:rofl:

Well, we woke up to the bad news about Steve Irwin being killed by a stingray. Of all the close calls he's had, I guess his luck ran out. I feel just horrible for his wife and kids though. Our Bindy is named after his DD Bindi Sue.

My out-of-control eating is catching up with me so tomorrow is a definite "crawl back on the wagon" day. I'm near 145 which is only one or two up, but I think it's real weight and not water now, so I will need to jump on it. Two pounds is the most I will allow myself to regain. Today is the 3-year anniversary of when I started losing. Actually it's when I was released by the doctor, so it was a good time to resume exercising and watching the intake. Thank goodness I remembered the lesson I learned so that I could apply it this year when the same thing happened; otherwise I might have found myself back to 177 after being laid up!

So anyway, I need to make my menus and get all the food lined up so I'll know what to take to work for lunches.

I'll check back in a while.

septembersgoal
09-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Morning gals! Ok, it's kind of late, but I slept in and then had to take care of some pc stuff. I hope that all of you are doing well today! I'm just giddy not to be at work. :D
We're going for lunch at the IL's and they're having pizza and salad. Oh well, at least it will be thin crust veggie. That's about as good as a girl can get. It's the brownies that I'm sure will follow that will cause more trouble.

Kathy, I love the hat. Too cute! I hope that you have fun today. Oh and I hadn't heard about Steve Irwin. That's very sad...although it seems fortunate that he hadn't been hurt badly before now. His poor family.

Sandra, you doing alright? Kathy's right, it's not like you to be up in the middle of the night. I hope that you are feeling okay.

:welcome3: Paula!

Frouf, I'm excited for you too. I hope that the clothes-trying-on goes well...I usually end up getting really mad and depressed. So stay positive! You're going on an awesome vacation! :twirly:

I better get some stuff done before we go to lunch. Have a great day everyone!

Vickie
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm supremely busy today but wanted to stop in an say Hey! Happy Labor Day. Jim and I are staying home and I'm roasting a chicken but I've much to do around the house and I've got to stop sitting online so much at least for the next week or so. I'm not sure what kind of a loss I'll have tomorrow but honestly it was a hard week and I didn't spend my points very wisely. I'm hard Core yet again starting today.

Be Well!

Katpo
09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Yep ... busy day here too. I have to get my cleaning and laundry done today because the next three, I'll be working 6 a.m. til 6 p.m. When I get home, I'm going to be too tired to do much else. Fortunately when we were at Costco the other day, we bought lots of frozen fish varieties and we also have lots of lettuce, tomatoes, and other salad vegetables. Dinners should be reasonably easy.

Froufy
09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Good afternoon chickies!

Still in my jammies and oh so tired! Went to bed way too late (like 1:30 am) and did not sleep well either - and was up at around 7 am!!! yes consumed with packing and travelling details - need to shut the brain off or something?

Weighed luggage (middle piece) and so far around 30 lbs so I'm okay for now - altho still have a load of laundry to do and add undies/socks, bathing suits. My smaller piece will hold shoes, makeup toiletries etc -and I have been tossing things on top of it - but now I think it will be 'challenging' to get everything to fit - shall work on that a bit today to calm myself.

oh ya and since everything is packed I have nothing to wear to work this week ha ha ha (digging to the bottom of the undie drawer as all the 'good' ones are packed:D ).

Had a nice early breakfast w/ds but hungry again now - and I think this is the first day this weekend I shall have 3 regular meals.

Melissa - enjoy your lunch out - beware of the brownies!

Sandra - you and I are BOTH scheduled for a nap later today - and I'll hear nothing more about that young lady!!

Vickie - I love the smell of roasting chicken - enjoy your day!

Kathy - I just read about Steve Irwin on the cruise critic board! How awful! I didn't think stingrays were that dangerous!

Good luck with your meal planning and long work days!

I almost want to go to work and get stuff done so I'm not frantic this week (okay I said ALMOST - LOL)....need to pay bills and get paperwork done! ...sigh......only 5 more sleeps!

Froufie

P.S. Did I mention tropical depression #6 forming in the Atlantic heading for the eastern caribbean???

ontarget
09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
:yawn: i just got up--again. i feel better but now have a headache. i don't know what was up with not sleeping last night. i was up till almost 6 surfing around archery and weightloss sites. i'm guessing i've lost just enough insulation that i'm getting cold. we're going to put the heated mattress cover on the bed today. maybe that will help.

kathy, happy anniversary. don't you feel better now than you did 3 years ago? i saw that about steve irwin when i was up earlier. he led an adventurous life up until the end. i didn't know that's where you got bindy's name.

melissa, enjoy your day at the il's. well, i guess you're already there, aren't you? it's good to see you giddy again.

vickie, i hope you can get in here some during the week. we'll miss you if you don't. i'm sending you :;) :;) :;) for tomorrow's wi.

i'm sure we're all doing some self-dusting today or tomorrow at the latest. that's just life.

Tejas
09-04-2006, 01:00 PM
:balloons: Welcome, Paula. I'm relatively new myself and it's quite a group here..you'll get lots of support.

Frouf, thanks for all those pictures. I think I'm going to like the cruise life myself...can hardly wiat until November. I'm laughing out loud at your stories about packing.

I met a friend for breakfast and did very well..eggs and whole grain toast. I think it's got to be zero point soup and fruit for the rest of the week though!!...I did well at the social events this week, but I'm aiming for another 1.8pound loss by Thursday's WI.

Have a good day all.

ontarget
09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
rhonda, thanks for the reminder about 0 pt soup. i'm going to plop the lo veggies into a sauce pan and that's what i'm having for dinner.

your bfast sounds good. i had a banana. i'm in a rut with them or so it seems. i may have something else tomorrow just to shock my tummy.

Katpo
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
I should also go make some zero point soup! I have vegetables that can be added to vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. I still save all the bits and pieces of LO vegetables from dinner and add them to a big ziploc freezer bag a little at a time. When it's full, I have veggies for soup! And our good soup weather is quickly approaching!

Yes, Sandra, I feel much better than I did 3 years ago at this time. I'm nearly down 40 pounds and from a very tight 12 to a comfortable 8. It's amazing how your body can transform. I also feel and look 10 years younger, which is good when you're staring down the barrel of 5-0. :lol: It's not actually old, just the oldest I've ever been before. (DUH!)

Still nothing going on here, and it's still sprinkling a bit. I'm doing laundry and watching judge shows. Maybe in a while I'll get up and go have some fun ... like Target or something? ... but meanwhile, nah.

blessedwithsarah
09-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes everyone! I'm glad I came out from hiding - of course my eating this weekend has been off -- pizza anyone?? And Lazana Saturday night. Oh well, today is a new day. I am going to do my weigh ins on Thursdays -- I lost my weight doing WW at work. I think the new session starts in a couple of weeks. I know I'll have to pay for this one, but not again! The started offering 6 weeks instead of the 12.

I made a big batch of chicken, quinioa and lentil stew - I added extra veggies. I ended up with 8 lunch servings. I only work 3 days this week, so I now have 5 in the freezer. My big no no is snacking at night. Bought some great english tea yesterday from a british import shop in Plymouth MA. Delish!

Weather in New Englad is wonderful today - sunny and about 70. Yesterday we were washed out by left over Ernesto. Its going to rain alot on Wednesday. Oh well.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Paula

blessedwithsarah
09-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Kathy, congrats on maintaining your loss for 3 years!!! Keep up the great work. Its funny how everyone's body is different - I went from 16/18 to 12. I love being 12 - of course I wouldn't mind getting into more 10s.

Paula

Katpo
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Okay, now I'm REALLY going to get out of here. I just made Judd's lunch (a little late, but he wasn't hungry after eating *10* donuts this morning) and now he's satisfied for a while. I can escape the house ... need to go to Garden Ridge and get another rug runner like the one we got yesterday. We love the colors, and so now we're going to get another so that we have all rug (and not carpet) from the back of the entry, thru the family room and into the breakfast room out the back door. It's about 20 feet of carpet and it's where the dogs make a trail. Hard to describe but I'm going to drag Sandra over here later this fall so that she can back me up on my assertion that these freakin' dogs are ruining my house! :lol:

The rain is still going and I am still doing my big happy dance. We've gone from 100 degrees to about 85 ... and cracks in the ground are filling up so hopefully my water bill will go down quite a bit!

septembersgoal
09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Busy, busy today! :)

OK Rhonda and Sandra, remind me how to do 0 point soup. Sounds like I need some of that in my life.
I just realized that it's September and my birthday is the 28. It was almost 2 years ago (on my bday) that I joined WW online and found you all. Insane? Yes. My goal was to reach 145 (or close to it) by my last birthday and here I am another year down the road and almost at the same place where I started. Boy, that will motivate a gal. So bring on the directions for 0 point soup. I'll go look and see if we have it here somewhere too. I've got to do something different. My goal is to exercise every day between now and my birthday. That's 26 days now. I mowed for about 30 minutes today and so today's good (for those of you who don't know I have a manual mower, so it's serious exercise). The challenge will be Tuesdays when I have class. Well see! Thanks for listening to me ramble. I know it's the same thing over and over and eventually I will just have to do something about it.

Frouf, I hope that you got some stuff done today to alleviate some of your worries. I'm so excited to hear the details of your trip. And I don't blame you for not going to work today. You've got plenty on your plate!

Sandra, you know I've heard that skinny chicks get cold? ;) You're still inspiring me podner.

Rhonda, thanks for the reminder about the soup. It's cooler here now and I think I could handle some good soup.

Vickie, I hope that your day is going well! Glad you got your labels too.

Paula, congrats on your fabulous loss, I just noticed. Sounds like you're a great planner!

Well gals I'm off to get something done. We just got home (of course we were there longer than expected) and I need to plan suppers for the rest of the week. Thursday is my practice show here at the house and then Friday is the real thing--nervous!! I'm nervous about knowing the recipe well enough to do it and talk at the same time. :crossed:

Katpo
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
So Melissa, here's my zero point soup recipe: green beans, onion, celery, corn, chicken or vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, and cut up chicken.

The other version, which is Core but not quite 0 points, is the black bean, corn, Ro-Tel and chicken. Another really good one for cooler weather, plus it makes a lot and freezes well.

Tejas
09-04-2006, 06:35 PM
There is a recipe on 3fc recipe board...called Garden Vegetable Soup.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post it here.

I made up a soup tonight just to get rid of the left overs:

Tomato soup
Chopped turkey breast
Chopped smoked ham slices
White kidney beans
Raw spinach

Season to taste...I chose southwestern spices, but anything should do. It was very tasty.

septembersgoal
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks gals! :D

Katpo
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
I just got home from the post office and grocery store (again!) -- got some envelopes, stamps and writing paper to send to Shaun. I was going to send it at the automated postal center, but their labels are so freakin' big that they'll cover up the address. I'll just have to take it to the post office tomorrow and have them put the smaller label on it.

I also bought a rotisserie chicken and took it off the bone into a quart storage bag; then got more broccoli, onion, orange bell peppers ... cut them up into storage bags. Now when I cook dinner this week (at 8:00p.m., no less!) I can just grab the vegetables and throw them in the steamer, then get the fish out of the freezer and we should be eating within 30 minutes of my arrival home. It is going to be a hard, hard week ... but has to be done. I have to work a minimum of 50 hours for the next six weeks. It's gonna be a tough time.

ontarget
09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
hi, paula. you are certainly one dedicated core folk. congratulations.

melissa, i won't post the 0 soup recipe. kathy and rhonda already have. just remember if you're core-ing, you can put anything in it that's core. you can use sf/ff refried beans as a base, too. well, podna, remember what dr. phil asks--where do you want to be this time next year? i'm filing that with other words of wisdom i've attached to my behind. they help keep me pointed in the right direction. sort of like jet propulsion.

i'm getting the heated mattress cover out now. also, i bought some tylenol pm. i'll sleep like a baby tonight for sure.

ontarget
09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
and i just looked at your tracker. did i ever tell you congratulations for losing those 14 lbs? well, congratulations, podna!!!

ontarget
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
kathy, you're kidding. that beautiful photo of you could not be someone anywhere near 50. you look like a young chick.

Katpo
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Sandra, are you trying to tell me that 50 isn't a young chick?

I do think I have a Peter Pan complex, though. I have somehow convinced myself that I'm 30 years old. That's going to be increasingly tough to pull off though, seeing that Shaun is nearly 29.

:rofl:

ontarget
09-05-2006, 01:34 AM
kathy, 50 is a very very young chick. and the older i get the younger it gets. :rofl:

Vickie
09-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Good Morning Chicks! It POURED here last night and it's still raining now. I'm up and about to go get ready to weigh in. It won't be good but I'm going any way. I got all messed up this week using too many WPA's complicated by the fact that I couldn't get on the treadmill until yesterday because of my ankle. I'm looking at today as a new start....again. I will get some form of exercise very day beginning tomorrow.

I either have a lousy chest and head cold brewing or I have the worst allergies ever. Either way...I just wanted to stay in bed. Sigh.

I have a million errands to run after my meeting and I have NO idea what's for dinner. Not a good way to start a new week.

Hope you are all well and on program.

Froufy
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Poor Vickie - sorry you are under the weather - hope it's not a cold (my allergies have been really bad this season too!). Here's to a good WI and fresh start!

Great soup reminder - yes almost time for Froufie's Famous soup - have to start getting those ingredients together - I really enjoyed being able to freeze some and bring it to work for lunches - esp when the cold weather gets here! UGH!

I am at work - but have slight back pain today? (pulled something?) so I am a bit hunched over - did not sleep well - neither did dh who was wandering around at 3:30 am!! Gloomy out now but at least rain has stopped and sun trying hard to peek thru.

Forgot my runners at home so not sure about the gym after work (esp given the back pain?) - still consumed w/packing and travelling and going over details in my head - this is not RELAXING!! Now I have become an amateur meteorologist as well as I watch tropical depression 6 on weather tracking sites to see if it shall become a hurricane and affect our itinerary - I am a gal of many skills it seems? ha ha :D:D

And an interesting article on portion sizes: http://www.cbc.ca/story/health/national/2006/09/01/portion-sizes.html

Later,

Froufie

Katpo
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
One more time on the VistaPrint ...

http://www.savings-center.com/

Try this one. Put VistaPrint in the search box, then you'll see a page with all of their deals. Choose one and click on the "use coupon" link.

blessedwithsarah
09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Well today is the day - no more messing around. I am OP and going to stick to it - no more back sliding! I didn't see a menu post for today - I'll go start one.

I have at least a quiet hour - my dd is now napping. Tuesdays are my day home with her, I work the other 4 days of the week. Its a nice schedule. We had preschool orientation this morning, she starts tomorrow. I know she will be fine - she didn't want to go when we left, but was very upset she had to leave. She needs the structure and interactions with other 3 year olds. Since she was born, she has spent 2 days a week with my mom and 2 days with my MIL. Its been great, but time for school. As soon as she wakes up she'll have lunch and we are off the farmers market.

As far as soup ideas -- anyone ever make butternut squash soup? I have a couple receipes I'll post later this week. I have them on my pc at work, not home. Very good soup for the winter.

Take care all.

Paula

ontarget
09-05-2006, 02:45 PM
hi there, chickies. we practiced archery this am at the center and have now just finished lunch. i never got my pot of 0 pt soup on the stove yesterday, but it's simmering now. i'll prob have it for dinner if i don't think of something else.

vickie, i hope wi went well for you. i also hope you're feeling better. i guess the changes in weather maybe made you sick. we saw a man with a special gas mask on earlier. he was putting some mesh wire around a tree. the smoke is horribly worse. he's smart to wear that mask.

kathy, how's your day going? is it cooler?

frouf, i really don't use a recipe for my soup. i just clean out the fridge. (now that doesn't sound good, does it?)

paula, i haven't made squash soup. will you post the recipe over on the recipe board? thanks.

melissa, the packet came today. i'm going to look it over in a few minutes and get started.

Tejas
09-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone:

I'm busy this week and next with an intensive course we teach and it's going to be tough with the eating. But, I did OK today. I found Minestrone soup in the cafeteria and had it with a piece of whole wheat toast. I took apples and yogurt with me and did all right.

The evening meeting was tougher but I took the bread off of the sandwiches, ate lots of salad with only a little oil and only 1/2 piece of carrot cake :rolleyes: !!

Katpo
09-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey, folks. I'm finally home from work. Tonight Judd made salmon burgers on the grill and we had broccoli and corn on the cob with it. They were very good.

Morning weight was 144.4 and right now (well, before dinner, that is) it was 144.8 so I'd say it was a good day. I had plenty to eat today and lots of water, so I'm hoping it's a little lower tomorrow. Tomorrow night we're having the tortilla crusted tilapia, wild rice, and salad. We just decided while sitting here eating tonight's dinner.

And the new season of House! We're watching it now. After that I might go to bed because I have to be at work at 6, plus stop at the store for a banana tomorrow morning.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

septembersgoal
09-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow, we've not been very busy today, huh? Is that a bad sign?
I sure miss chatting with you all during my day. It's so uplifting to come chat when things are stressful at work.
I've been working on pampered chef stuff tonight. I'm getting kind of nervous. Thursday night is my "practice" show and then Friday is the real thing. I'm just :crossed: that all goes well. It's a lot to think about at one time, but I'm thinking it's going to be fun. That's what matters. Plus the food tastes really good. ;) Tomorrow night I'll have to go to the grocery for the two shows plus work late. Yippee. Oh well, that's what I got myself into!
I'm going to go spend some time with DH. We've been to class tonight and I haven't really gotten to talk with him much.
I'll talk to you all tomorrow! I hope it's a great day for all.

ontarget
09-06-2006, 01:48 AM
melissa, the show will be a hit. you're going to have fun and make some $$$.

rhonda, you made some good healthy choices. i remember from years past how it was always difficult to stay op first day of school. "you done good."

kathy, sounds like you're doing well, too. tilapia sounds delicious. i have some in the freezer that we may have tomorrow, too. we can pretend we're eating together. (i guess that's pretty silly, isn't it?) :lol:

Tejas
09-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Good Morning everyone.

I've got a big lecture to give this morning..and, I don't care how many times you give a lecture to essentially the same kind of students about essentially the same topic..there are always pre-performance jitters. Some people can't eat before they perform but that has NEVER been my problem!

I bet Sandra's insomnia is just her wanting to be back in the classroom :lol:

It's a morning to have oatmeal and pack my lunch.
I hope everyone has a good OP day! No bites of carrot cake for me today or I won't meet the challenge!

Vickie
09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I've been up since 5:00. I didn't sleep much last night. I was disturbing Jim so I finally just got up. What I thought was allergies turned into a full blown head and chest cold. I've got every symptom under the sun and I'm feeling pretty miserable.

I stayed the same at WW yesterday. I wasn't surprised with only 20 minutes of exercise. I had used all of my WPA's before Wicked and then went over. I'm lucky that I didn't gain. I guess I did better with my portion sizes. I'm shootin for a better week for next Monday.

Sorry I'm not being a very good friend right now. I can't think too clearly and I'm too miserable to try very hard. I hope you are all well and staying on program.

Katpo
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Poor Vickie! I hope you feel better. The one thing I've learned over the last five months of not being able to do any exercise is that I MUST eat less to create that calorie deficit. I hope you can figure out your portion issue soon so that you don't start going backward.

Meanwhile though, taking care of the cold is the most important thing.

I'm only working 11 today instead of 12, and only got about 5 hours of sleep, so I'm a bit out of sorts myself. The scale was down .2 this morning though, and I was glad about that. Still ...

Okay, better get back to work. Everybody have a good day! Rhonda, your lecture will be fine! I'm sure you know the subject inside out! And yes, Sandra, we will eat our tilapia together. It's not silly at all!!

:hug: for you all!

blessedwithsarah
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Morning everyone. Dropped dd off at preschool today - when I asked for a hug, she hugged the teacher. I don't think she is going to miss me - way to many new toys. As I write this I think they are doing circle time...I'm happy for her, but sad for me! She'll be at my mom's by 12:15 and I know I'll be calling right then....

Did OK food wise yesterday. I made pumpkin pudding - which I haven't done in quite sometime. Night time snacking did get to me. I had my tea, then some pudding. I was very satisfied. But then I remembered that bag of chips that are opened in the pantry. Had a few of those. Finally stopped myself. I don't think I had too many,but I know I'm my own worse enemy. New day today.

I brought the chicken, quiuno and lentil stew for lunch - I haven't had it yet, I hope its good. I'll let you know, if it is I'll post the recipe. Then tonight I have to make a birthday cake - dh's bday is tomorrow, he wants chocolate cake with choc frosting. With just us and a 3 year old in the house, this is going to be hanging around a while. I am NOT going to have any - not big on sweets so it will be easy to pass on it.

Well, got to get ready for a meeting this morning. Have a good day everyone.

Froufy
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Just passing the time of day waiting for my vacation to begin (3 more sleeps!). Work is a bummer - I have a desk full of @#$@#$@4 paperwork and I shall try at least to organize it before I go? ha ha ha

Paula - I'm sure your dd had a fabulous time and it's better that they want to go then cling to you crying! Let us know how your lunch was! Good luck w/the cake!

Rhonda - a bit of nerves, in my opinion, is a good thing. It shows that you still care and want to do a good job! I'm sure it went well!

Kathy - hope the 11 hour day goes as fast as possible for you!!!...and my (nasty) scale was up this morning - trying to drink more water today!

Poor Vickie - hope you can take some meds, and go lie down and feel better soon!

Melissa - good luck w/your practice and 'show' - I know you'll do a great job and become a pro at it very soon! What are you preparing?

I brought all my gym stuff today (even the runners) but so tired due to a late bedtime - I really need more sleep - not sleeping well these days?

Got all my cruise docs last night and brought them to work - Andrea is right now LAMINATING our cruise luggage tags (she is a laminating freak! ha ha ha) as we have heard how they are torn or fall off before you get to port and we want to put them on our luggage when we leave home (so the laminating and attaching w/cable ties shall do the trick!). Already filled out my BAHAMAS immigration card (our first stop is Nassau!)and getting all my other docs in order.

And the best news is it sure looks like Tropical Storm Florence has taken a turn north - away from the Bahamas and the eastern caribbean (good for us - bad for Bermuda!) - so hopefully no itinerary changes or bad weather!

Laundry and toiletry packing on the agenda tonight!

Frouf

ontarget
09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
howdy, chickies. it's a smoke-filled valley here in missoula. i just thought the smoke was thick earlier. oh, well, thank goodness for a/c and air purifiers.

rhonda, you're funny, girl. but you could be partially right. i do miss the excitement of school beginning and meeting the new students/staff. i just don't miss it enough to want to jump back in the middle of things. i had some chocolate cake today. it wasn't my fault. :lol: i went to 2 grocery stores looking for the weight watcher's chocolate cake but didn't find any. so i bought me 1 slice of the real deal. i bought curtis 1 slice, too. i know it would have been cheaper to just make a cake here at home, but this way we had great portion control. now i need to do some w a and work really really hard. (0 pt soup w/o crackers tonight)

vickie, that's good that you turtled. i hope you're feeling better. we're all sort of woozy here from the smoke, so i'm not thinking too clearly either.

kathy, i was going to have the tilapia tonight. the chocolate cake ended that. so i'll be late for dinner so you and judd go ahead and start without me. i'm not making curtis eat 0 pt soup. he'll have something more decadent.

paula, i'm glad i had my chocolate cake before i read about dh's bday cake you're going to make. i'm too full right now to want any more. congratulations for nipping that eating spree in the bud.

frouf, i was wondering about hurricanes. i'm glad you'll have smooth sailing.
curtis is very particular about having our luggage identified. that's a good habit.

Tejas
09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi All:

The lecture went just fine. Doyle went with me which was fun. He said I did well. Yes, I do care, a lot. I'm three years from retirement but still passionate about this aspect of my work.

I've done very well with my intake these past two days but it's hard to get the exercise in. I can't get to my aerobics or Pilates classes so I have to use the exercise DVD's and walk. As good as the DVD's are, I believe I push myself harder with the teacher "live" in front of me.

I hope everyone has a good evening. I was going to ask how close you are to those fires in Montana, Sandra. Hope you're OK.

Vickie
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey Chicks! I just stopped in to say hello. I haven't been this sick in a long, long, time. I have every symptom on the Nyquil bottle! I'm actually going to take some Nyquil tonight even though I take blood pressure medicine. I have GOT to get some sleep. I see my Internist for a wellness visit tomorrow so I'll check with him to see if it's ok for me to take Nyquil. I have to get some relief.

My eating was great and completely on program until dinner time. I didn't feel like cooking so Jim ordered a pizza. It was ultra thin crust and veggie. I only had a couple of pieces so I should be ok. My portions are great and I've had a lot of water today.

I hope you're all well. I'll come back when I feel more up to it.

Katpo
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Night, Vickie. I hope you get sleep and feel better tomorrow.

I lived thru my 11 hours at work today and tomorrow is another 12 -- and then Friday, the normal off day, will be 8. That'll finish out this week with 48 hours in spite of being off Monday for the holiday. I'll also work Saturday to get ahead for next week. We have a ton of work piled up because one update just got sold off and so we're free to do the next block of work. I've been working 50-52 per week but got a little messed up with Labor Day ... hopefully I'll get back on track soon. I have a lot of work that will be tested in early January and unless I want to work thru our Christmas shutdown, I'll have to get cracking on it now.

We had the BEST dinner tonight. Judd came home early and made dinner -- that tortilla crusted tilapia just absolutely ROCKS! I was sitting there the whole time marveling at how good "home cooked" food could be. He also made brown rice and broccoli, and green tea. It was just an amazing dinner! Then he sent me off to bed because he knows I have to be at work by 6 in the morning. I'm watching a few reruns of "Raymond" before turning out the lights. Hopefully I'll be able to turn off the lights by 9 or 9:30.

I had to buy a new coffeepot this afternoon because the other one broke right before Shaun left. I thought I could do without it, but nah. I'll make my morning coffee and take it in my mug with skim milk and SF vanilla syrup. That way I'll have something to drink on the way to work in addition to my Diet A&W. So far I haven't stopped for a morning Coke since last Thursday. :D

Okay, off to get my clothes ready for tomorrow, make my lunch list (how hard is it to write "yogurt" and "tuna" on a scrap of paper?? :lol: ) and then get ready for bed. Happy evening to all!

ontarget
09-07-2006, 01:16 AM
just got home from watching "phantom of the opera" with a gf. we kept the kleenex between us and had fun crying. it was a good evening.

rhonda, i'm glad doyle went with you. it's good he got to see you in your element. i know he enjoyed it and is very very proud of you. the smoke is not only coming from fires in the mountains here but also from oregon/washington and probably california and other states. according to the local paper, it's to be with us till at least friday. we have a slight chance of rain saturday that could clean the air. my gf's house is not air conditioned so we both breathed a lot of smoke tonight. while coming home i saw the full moon but it was shielded by smoke.

i got to w a 30 min early and jogged till class started, so i got 90 min exercise today. that should help take care of that delicious cake i celebrated wednesday with.

vickie, i'm sorry you're sick. i'm glad you go to the doctor tomorrow. i had a piece of chocolate cake/icing today, so i had to put the skids on afterward. guess life is still getting in our way some.

kathy, that tilapia is awesome, isn't it? if i can remember it's in the freezer tomorrow, we'll eat ours. tell judd he gets an attaboy for making such a fabulous meal.

night night, chickies. i'll see you tomorrow.

Katpo
09-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Good morning! Just a quick fly-by ... it's going to be a killer day and I kept waking up last night for some reason.

Oh well ... life goes on, doesn't it? No need to make a big drama out of everything! :lol:

Vickie
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm still sick and don't feel like good company. Life does go on, but I'm so happy that I'm retired and don't have to do anything that I don't want to do. I took Nyquil for the first time last night and managed to sleep. The cold is definitely going into my chest, though. Jim is the good patient in our house...not me. I'm into drama! :D

I'm off to eat some breakfast and get ready. I hope you all have a great day.

blessedwithsarah
09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Morning all -- dd did wonderful in preschool yesterday. When DH picked her up the teacher said Sarah was VERY excited to be there. I'm sure she was just full of energy as usual. I swear, unless she is sleeping, she is in some sort of motion. After dinner last night we made DHs chocolate cake. I ended up doing two rounds, frosted one and froze the other. I'm not eating it and the less in the house the better. DD did the sprinkles - there is one mound and not much elsewhere. She was happy to do it.

The stew for lunch yesterday was good - the quinioa (I know I'm spelling this differently everytime!) is a different texture, but good. I think next time I make it I'll do more lentils and less of the quinioa. I posted that recipe along with a curry butternut squash soup.

My weight was up a bit this morining - not good, its going the wrong way. But, tom is next week and that may be the culprit. I WILL NOT get discouraged and cheat!

Kathy - do you work 4 12 hour days? or 5? I'm exhausted working 8 1/2 4 days a week and taking care of my house, dd and dh. You seem to be "super Kathy"!

Vickie - I hope you are feeling better. My allergies have been bad so far and I ususally don't get that bothered in the fall. Hope the dr can give you some relief.

Frouf - where are you cruising to? Can I come to? Sun, ocean, cocktails -- nice!

Have a good day today!

Paula

Katpo
09-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I usually work 10 a day but this week have been working 11 and 12. We're supposed to have every other Friday off but I usually work that plus most Saturdays. We have a lot of work to do and a short delivery schedule due to some overlapping contracts. We had to hold up on one while the other was being finished, and then hurry up and do the next one. That's the life of military contracts though.

As for the kids though, I only have one at home now. My DH doesn't do anything around the house except put out the trash and keep the yardwork done, but last night he cooked dinner because he knew I was tired. My major housework is sweeping up after three inside dogs who shed so much I can't believe they aren't bald! :lol:

I guess you get used to it, because I've done this most of my adult life. Imagine how tough it was with 3 small kids, a DH (err ... now EX-DH!) who worked nights and slept all day, animals, a big house to clean, a big yard and large inground diving pool (hard to keep sparkling here in hot Texas), and working two jobs. That's what I *used* to have ... so this seems so much easier now. Frouf's the same way though; she was having her youngest DS, working, finishing up her master's, and all sorts of other crazy stuff going on ... so no matter what comes along now, it's not as bad as it was in the past.

And since I've never been high-maintenance or spoiled, thank goodness, doing all the work sorta comes natural to me. I'm not super, just used to it. :lol:

I'm so glad your DD did well in preschool yesterday! I can just imagine your relief to hear a good report. And happy birthday to your DH! It's my little brother's birthday today too! He's 44 ... hardly seems possible!

Katpo
09-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Vickie, you poor dear! :hug: I just can't imagine how miserable you must be! I do know that Jim is taking extra special care of you though, so just try to get a lot of rest. Do you go to the doctor today?

I hope this passes quickly and you get better soon. And you're ALWAYS good company, don't think you aren't! I just know you probably don't feel like sitting at the computer. :(

Mattandgabbysmom
09-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Good morning ladies, sorry I haven't been on in a while, just been very busy. Ds started 1st grade yesterday and he loves it. My cousin, her fiance and two boys are coming tonight for the weekend so I have alot to do again. Wanted to pop in and say hello, I will try to catch up in a bit.

blessedwithsarah
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I guess we are all crazy, busy in our own ways. Maybe we can all be "super women"!!

I'm lucky too I guess, DH does help out at home. Of course I need to ask him first or be ready to crack for him to do it. But he does help -- our deal is I take care of the inside of the house and he does the outside. Good deal especially with the New England winters. Best gift I got him was his snow blower - its his toy.

Well, I'm off for a walk at lunch. Then meetings all afternoon.

ontarget
09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
hi there, chickies. i've been surfing looking for cheap seats out of here for the weekend. they don't exist. we'd have to drive to spokane to get good airline tickets. guess we'll stay put. i am planning to do an extra 60 min today at w a. that water feels wonderful.

kathy, we had the tortilla-crusted tilapia for lunch along with wild rice and mixed veggies. i thought of you and judd. that is a good meal, isn't it?

vickie, i'm glad you slept last night. are you feeling better now?

paula, you get an atta girl for making less cake. sounds like dd is a little doll.

well, i'm going to do more surfing. (actually, this is fun. we're not going anywhere, but i love to look.)

Vickie
09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Chicks! I'm actually feeling worse but I'm so glad I was going to the Internist anyway on some other issues. He gave me 10 days of antibiotics and prescription cough medicine. Evidently I have a sinus/ear infection and significant upper chest congestion. I've already taken the antibiotic and am going to take the cough medicine now.

I cooked a Core meal but I'm not sure that I even want it even though I am hungry. I rarely lose my appetite even when I'm sick.

I'll be back tomorrow. You are all in my thoughts!

Tejas
09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Dagnabit! I was up .6 tonight at WW wi. Well, I'm just going to decide that's OK for a week in which I had to eat out from home more often than I normally do and could not go to any exercise classes.

But, I've got to try to meet those one week and two week challenges.

Think I'll have a glass of red wine :lol: !

My goodness, but everyone is very busy...such good stories about life, food, children, work....

ontarget
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
i'm home fro 80 min of w a. i was going to try for 120 but did 80 instead.

vickie, i'm glad you went to the doctor. i hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

rhonda, .6 is not bad considering all the out of routine eating you had to do this week. i used to gain much much more first week back to school. red wine sounds good to me.

Froufy
09-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Everyone!

Niki - nice to see you drop by - have a fabulous time w/your cousin! and family.

Rhonda - not to fret about a measly few ounces - it will all come off next week!

Vickie - you poor darling! I am so glad you had that appt and now have meds to make you feel all better! Please rest and take care of yourself!

Kathy - glad that Judd cooked dinner for you - and it does sound delish! Good for you for avoiding that morning Coke! You are doing great!

Yes we are all super women in our own special way! Never a dull moment at our place as most of the ladies can attest to!

Paula - I am cruising the eastern caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) and luckily for us Tropical Storm Florence (did I mention I am now an amateur meteriologist? :D) seems to be turning north back to the atlantic rather than west into the eastern caribbean. Seems that we might have some rainy weather tho - but who really cares?

I am too tired to be excited for my trip - late night and not great sleep yet again - this is beginning to wear me down - and today I had a bit of a tickle in my throat - which is the first sign of a rundown Froufie - took some anti bacterial lozenges which seemed to help and about to go to bed and hopefully SLEEP the whole night thru.

And there was a bit of a packing 'meltdown' here tonight - but it has been resolved and I am feeling calmer now. Initial plan was to bring medium piece and smallest piece (of 3 piece set - I know if I pack biggest piece it will DEFINITELY be over the 50 lb limit). So medium piece has been packed for a few days (ya I know my clothes will look like **** - I'll be the wrinkled one :p ) and most clothes seem to fit (just a few more needed to go in).

Then started filling the smallest with the heavier stuff, eg. sandals, shoes, snorkel, mask, beach bag, lotions, potions, toiletries etc - and lo and behold before I was done it WOULD NOT CLOSE (and if it did let's just say it would get pretty messy in there).

So I lay on my bed - had a bit of a meltdown and time out - also realizing that even if everything did fit - there was not a space/spot to actually bring anything back!

Down to the basement I went to haul out the medium bag from another set - and repacked into that one (even offloaded some clothes from original bag). Now it looks great! Still have to pack last minute stuff: hairbrushes, makeup, etc - but all should fit w/enuf room for some souvenirs. Also packed the compression bags for way home (ever notice how everything seems to expand away from home?) so that should also help.

Still need to organize travel purse and carryon - and gather papers/maps together, and I"m ready to go - an awful lot of work don't you think??;) Boy I could sure use a vacation right about now???

Working to get everything organized and accounted for at work tomorow - then I need to seriously get into vacation mode! Wish me luck!

Froufie

septembersgoal
09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
:wave: Hi friends!

Vickie
09-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I got 6 hours of bad sleep but it's better than nothing. I still feel about the same.

LaZBoy is coming to bring my new furniture today. My fingers are crossed. I'm in no mood for it to be a problem today. Jim is taking me out for dinner tonight. I'm not sure what I'll have but there will be plenty of good Core choices.

I'm going to try to catch up with you all but I know it won't be easy.

Vickie
09-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Frouf, I just LOVE reading about your daily adventures! Despite my grumpiness....I was laughing out load at your packing trials and tribulations. Thanks for that! I'm glad that you solved your packing dilemma. I really hope that today goes smoothly for you and that you get off on your trip without a hitch. I hope you make all your connections in Chicago. But....if you don't....call me! You really need to get away and relax. I did look at the pictures of your ship and it is truly amazing. It ALMOST made me be brave enough to take a cruise. I'll have to just find a 2 day one sometime. I'm glad that the tropical storm is heading away from where you'll be. I want you to have a safe and fun trip.

Paula you sound just like my Niece. She had a hard time letting her oldest DD go to preschool but was very happy that she did. They all need to learn how to socialize. I like butternut squash but have never eaten it in soup. Maybe I'll get brave this year and try your recipe. I cook a lot but am not very creative so recipes are a must for me! I never made pumpkin pudding either, but I'm very fond of the crustless pumpkin pie. It's time to make one I think. I'm very excited to have another cook on our board.

Hey Niki! We miss you. Come back when you can!

Sandra, I hope your air is better by now. It's sad that you are living with those conditions. You are doing so great on your exercise. I am SO very proud of you. Good luck at your weigh in today! ;) ;) ;)

Rhonda, I think you've done amazingly well given your situation. Try not to let that small gain slow you down. Just get right back on the wagon and keep on going!

Poor Kathy! You work way more than I did when I was still on the job. I'd have to find a new one with less hours. Life is WAY too short. Your meals sound wonderful and perfect for your current work situation. Have you heard from Shaun yet?

Melissa, how did the practice go? Good Luck tonight. I know you will be outstanding! I wish I could be there to cheer you on.

Ok...I'm taking my sick little self off of this computer. I'm going to start a menu thread and have breakfast. The Terminix guy is coming this morning and after that the delivery guys. I need to shower and be dressed to deal with the furniture. Then I'll be ready for dinner when it's time too! ;)

Katpo
09-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Goooooood morning, all! I'm excited about work today because I'm only going to be here for 8 hours!!! Yeehaw! After this week, that'll seem like a half day!

Vickie, I wish you felt better but am so glad the new furniture is coming today. I too hope that there aren't problems with it because if there are, woe to the delivery people! They might feel the wrath! :lol: Enjoy your dinner out tonight. As for the job, I guess I enjoy nerdy engineering stuff enough that it doesn't really bother me. It's fun for the most part and the way I look at it is, everybody has to be somewhere and I might as well be here! The housework is always waiting, and there's lots of people to talk to. Since we're in a secret area and nobody else can come in, we have lots of fun in here. Of course, most of that fun includes lots of food too. :(

Frouf, I was also laughing at your packing trials! You are going to have a blast whether you're doing it in wrinkled clothes or not! I can't wait for you to get back and tell us all about it. I can already picture the looooong Froufy post with details!

Melissa, I was wondering how the practice run went too! What did you make? Do they still make that chicken broccoli ring? That was always my absolute FAVORITE!

Hello to everybody else! :wave: I need to do some work now but I'll be back in a bit!

blessedwithsarah
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
It was a great night for me -- Jim and Sarah had pizza for dinner, i had a spinach salad. They had the chocolate cake, I had some grapes. I really did not feel deprived -- OK, I did lick the knife!:D Thankfully the scale is back down this morning.

Vickie, I'm glad to hear the dr gave you some meds. Hopefully today you will feel better. As for the pumpkin pudding - very easy, I make buttescotch ff/sf pudding shorting the milk by 1/4 cup (1 3/4 instead of 3) and add in pumpkin pie spice into the mix. Once the pudding is made I mix in a can of pumpkin. Ends up very thick and good. If you like the crustless pumpkin pie, this has the same flavor without having to cook.

Frouf, good luck packing. At least you are just packing for yourself. Imagine if you had other to pack for as well. I did hear that Florence is heading to Bermuda. My sister and BIL are cruising out of Boston to Bermuda in 2 weeks. I think they should be ok by then. We should be getting its left over rain by mid/late next week.

This weekend is going to be busy. Our Labor day cookout was a wash out last weekend so we are having it Sunday. The moon walk is being delivered tomorrow. I'll be making core potatoe salad and cole slaw and getting chicken burgers for me. My neice is also doing core and is bringing diet coke cupcakes with ff coolwhip for frosting. I need to plan a bit more to make sure I don't go too far off program. But I know I'll burn alot of calories in the moon walk. We rented one last year as well -- boy, it works out your legs!

Hope everyone has a great OP day!
Paula

PTAPrez238
09-08-2006, 10:59 AM
hey everyone,

I've missed you. Computer at home crashed. Not able to get on at work this week. Getting back computer tonight. Misssssssssssssssssssssss you all. I'll stop by later.
Stacey

Froufy
09-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Stacey - come back when you can!!!

Kathy - a SHORT 8 hour day! (and I can barely get thru 7.5 ha ha ha).

Vickie (and chickie) glad you enjoyed my PACKING trials and tribulations - honestly I was a wreck - literally had to lie down on the made - made dh get off his computer to 'help' me (he was of little help by the way- kept telling me to UNPACK STUFF - did I really need everything? what was he thinking - yes I need 3 makeup bags and 2 toiletry bags and 15 pairs of underwear - jeez!:dizzy: ). I do feel much better now that I have this problem solved - but wait til I try to lug these 2 babies thru the airport - you won't see me smiling then!

Eating too much of course - as we were out for lunch yesterday and today one of my work colleagues is leaving for new job - so some 'indian' food at lunch and some cake just now (lemon coconut - how caribbean!).

Melissa - how did the practice go? Any leftovers?:D

Vickie - hope you are feeling better and that the furniture is perfect! By the way: The Terminix guy is coming this morning what or who is this? (all I could think of is some relation to the Terminator? ha ha).

I am trying desperately to clear off my desk and stay calm and avoid any last minute crises! Already put on my 'out of office' message on voice mail and email to give people the hint!

Later,

Froufie

Katpo
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Terminex is an exterminator, so yes -- sorta like the Terminator! For buggies!

I just finished gagging my way thru another cleanout of the breakroom fridge and predict that I'll have a nice 20-25 pound weight loss, seeing that I don't think I can ever eat again. You would NOT believe some of the unidentifiable crap I found in there but I will spare you the details. If I were to describe some of it, we'd ALL be puking!

See? This would be all of us!

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

ontarget
09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
hi there. it's been a whirlwind today. i went to wi and was up .8. that didn't upset me. what did was curtis found some tiny feathers near our hummingbird feeder that's in the front yard. i am soooo upset over this. the travel trailer is parked too close. the tire on the rear is a great perch for predators. so? i took the feeder into the house. the hummingbirds still have the one out back and it's in a cat-free place.

i went to w a this afternoon. i had a great time there. it helped lift my spirits. the smoke is still thick. we've decided (again) to stay home. we're hoping the air clears after a cool front comes through this weekend.

frouf, have a good time on your trip. i'm thinking you and your gf may be another lucy/ethel pair. i'm waiting on the adventures to be posted.

i hope all of you have a good evening. i'll be back tomorrow. i have a headache now and need to go.

Tejas
09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi All:

Well, cuzzin Sandra we can commiserate on those gained ounces!! How about a family challenge...we try to drop the extras by Monday!

I've been good all day but for some reason just want to EAT. I guess I better get out the carrots. :hungry:

So, Froufy heads out tomorrow :wave: and we're all envious. Have a great time and we're waiting for the emails from sea!

Rhonda

ontarget
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
okay, cuz. you're on. i need something to get me motivated this weekend. i've been doing the same as you. been hungry--so far i'm op. monday am we should have those extra ounces off. they are just "ounces", aren't they? :lol:

ontarget
09-08-2006, 08:32 PM
i took this photo from our back deck. the mountains in the background are almost hidden by smoke. there are actually several peaks.
http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL982/5031459/10306167/185609710.jpg

there are a lot of folks complaining of sore throats. my eyes are burning. curtis and i are staying inside most of the time. the local news is downplaying smoke conditions because there's a college football game in town tomorrow. $$$$$ would be lost if folks didn't come to watch.

we are hoping the air will clear soon.

septembersgoal
09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
:wave: Hi friends!!
I'm absolutely exhausted but wanted to come say hi. I'll catch up tomorrow.

Frouf, have a wonderful trip!!! :beach:

Katpo
09-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Good morning! Judd just left to go to his bike rally but it's raining a little. He's going anyway.

Melissa, come back when you can so we can get the report!

I have nothing but laundry on the schedule today, plus helping Judd get his things packed for tomorrow. He'll be back either Thursday or Friday, depending on how things progress.

Okay, I'll come back in a while to see if anyone shows up!

Vickie
09-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Good Morning Chicks! My Sister called last night and asked if they could come over to go out to lunch with us at a restaurant near our house. Of course, my house is filthy so I have to run around and clean it up so it looks remotely presentable. You cannot have your big Sister see your house filthy. She says not to bother but she has no idea how bad it is!

I'll come back later this afternoon and catch up. Be well!

Tejas
09-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Good Morning All:

It is a cloudy and wet day here in Toronto. At least I don't have to worry about watering the garden.

I am planning a very quiet weekend and am headed for the sports club because I was told that they have a new machine, like an elliptical but doesn't hurt your knees. I love to walk but am having trouble with my knees on the pavement and the treadmill.

I was thinking that I might get some of those foam pads that are used to cushion a floor for children, put them on the floor and use my WATP tapes. I've got to take care of my knees....I obviously need to move to Montana and join Sandra in the w a classes.

I'm super motivated this weekend for the Monday one-pound challenge. But, I've noticed that my scales just don't like to go down!

Katpo
09-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Rhonda, have you ever taken glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM? I've recently restarted it and can tell a big difference. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or on another forum, but when I broke my foot the first time, it messed up the opposite knee because of the kind of cast I was in for a long time. My cartilage was eventually gone and I had that bone-on-bone crunch everytime it moved. I had x-rays in November that showed no cartilage, and then when they were repeated a few months later, the doctor said it looked normal and the cartilage had been regenerated. I figured I was okay, so I stopped taking it but should have continued. Now I'm taking it hoping that it will help to heal this newest break.

Just a thought!

Katpo
09-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Judd and his friend just called -- the bike ride thing is over and they're on their way to pick me up. They wanted to go downtown (Sundance Square) for a while.

BBL!

septembersgoal
09-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Have fun Kathy!

I'm sorry I'm so behind girls. Here's a little bit of what's been going on with me:
Thursday night I had the "practice" show which ended up counting as a real show for me since I sold enough. My mom and grandmother helped out with that. :) Last night I had my first "offical" cooking show and it was great!!! So far we have about $500 in sales and she is still collecting orders. I made about $100 last night so far. :cp: I still need another show for September in order to have a chance to reach my September goal. But the good news is that I had 3 people book a show for October, so I'm up to 5 shows for next month!! Yeah! So things are going well.
You asked what we ate--last night we had a dessert show (which I managed to stay out of mind you!) and I made a Chocolate Pecan Lattice Tart and Banana Split Brownies. :T Yes, they are very good! Right now I'm watching a training video and fixing up my receipts and orders. I'm really happy about how things are going.

I do hate that I've been missing out on you all though. I've been so busy. But I know that I will figure out how to schedule myself very soon and things will settle down a little bit.

I hope that you all are having a great weekend!!

Vickie, I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling well. I hope that you are enjoying your lunch with your sis.

Sandra, :bravo: on your attitude podner. That smoke is really crazy. I probably just missed it, but what is causing it?

Hey, where's Saundra? Saundra, come back!

Is Frouf already off on her trip? She's going to have a wonderful time.

Kathy, I'm glad you're having some fun today after working so hard this week.

Well I better get back to work. I'll bbl to catch up some more.

Tejas
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Kathy...yes, I take glucosamine with chondroitin but not with the MSM. It helps.

Melissa....sounds like you're doing well. Congratulations.

I did 20 minutes on the elliptical-like trainer, 20 minutes on the :ebike: and 45 minutes on WATP 3 mile express. Now, that seems to only be 4 points according to WW...and they count their own tape as 5 points at the most intense level. Oh well, I moved and that's what matters.

We had a light breakfast and are having nice, lean steak for dinner tonight. I made low-fat brownies for Doyle last night and have been very good at NOT eating them myself :smug:

Rhonda

ontarget
09-09-2006, 04:53 PM
hi there, chickies. we've been gone most of the day flinging arrows and eating italian food. i ate too much but am staying in control and not throwing in the towel. i'm straining to lose that 1 lb by monday, too. rhonda, thank you for the challenge. it's helping keep me in check.

melissa, the smoke is coming from all over the wnw but mainly from oregon, washington and around here. missoula valley is a bowl and catches smoke and holds it from all directions. we're expecting rain tonight so we're hoping for some relief.

rhonda, i wish you were in missoula, too. we'd have a blast at w a. i hope you can find the exercise that's right for you and don't have to work through pain.

kathy, have fun at sundance square. are you going to razzoo's?

vickie, enjoy your company. are you feeling better today? i'm guessing you are if you're having company and are cleaning house.

got to go. i'll be back later.

Vickie
09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey Chicks! Sister/BIL are gone and Jim is running some errands so I decided to pop in. My stomach is hurting and I'm pretty sure it's from my antibiotic. I'm going to hang in there though and keep taking it so that my chest gets better. I'm seeing some improvement but just want to lay down on the couch.

Melissa, how exciting that your parties went so well. I'm certain you are going to be very successful at your new business. Maybe you'll be able to quit your day job!

Paula, my Niece used to do Core with me too. She's off the wagon right now but plans to get back on soon. I hope you have a great Labor Day party tomorrow.

Stacey, I hope you get back soon!

Frouf, by now you've left Chicago and are well on your way to Miami. I hope you are having a ball!

Kath, I LOL at your refrigerator story. We solved that problem at our work by making a list of everyone who used the refrigerator. It got cleaned once a month by the next person on the list. We'd leave a voice mail message and tell everyone to go in and get rid of their stuff or it would be thrown out. It's not fair to have one person do it all.

Sandra, I'm proud of you that you aren't letting one bad meal throw you off program. You'll recover. The view that you have is stunning. I'd like to see another picture of that same view when the smoke clears.

Rhonda, that new machine sounds cool! I'm glad you found something you enjoyed. I'm certain that exercise is what will make the difference for us all.

Well, I won't be eating what I planned for dinner because we had kind of a big lunch. We'll have lunch stuff when Jim comes home and then maybe popcorn later. I'm still craving it but haven't had any yet.

I'll be back in the morning. Have a great Saturday evening.

Katpo
09-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Sandra, we DID go to Razzoos! I had boiled shrimp (labor intensive as I had to peel them myself) and a small side salad. After that, we went over to Flying Saucer because of course Judd and his friend are trying to reach that 200 beer mark. So far Jon's had 52 and Judd's had 75. They have a ways to go and it's a bit harder since the Flying Saucer in Arlington closed.

Now we're back home and trying to decide between the herb-crusted cod or more tortilla tilapia. I'm letting Judd decide because he's going to cook it. We aren't hungry right now; it'll be a little later. I figure we'll try the cod and I'll probably go make some broccoli and/or whole wheat pasta in a bit.

It should be a very quiet night, and I'm glad.

Vickie
09-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I could have eaten tilapia last night but I was afraid to try it. It was broiled but I didn't know if had a strong fishy taste and a lot of bones. That would turn me off. I'm a new fish eater.

Katpo
09-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh no, no bones at all. You should check at Sam's to see if they have this box of the tortilla-crusted tilapia. It is awesome, and I'm sure the points would be minimal because it's just the crust.

Tilapia is mild, like orange roughy, and there are no bones. I've never ever EVER found a bone in anything except catfish, and that was usually cleaned at home. We were raised eating fried catfish and learned to watch for bones, and also my parents made us eat a piece of bread for every piece of fish we ate. Why? Who knows!

Vickie
09-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I've never had orange roughy either. I can't cook the fish at home or my husband will move out. My only hope is to eat it out at a restaurant. Do you think tilapia could be broiled dry?

aghiowa
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I think tilapia would be fine broiled dry. When I had it, I noticed it was more "meat-like" than some fish...it seemed to be denser than say, pollock. I liked it, but I think I prefer orange roughy. Mmm. :)

I am firmly back on Core... I've realized the only way this is going to work is if I do it all the way. Nothing non-Core will cross my lips unless I'm willing to pay points for it. That's how I lost the 50 pounds, and that's how I'm going to relose these 10.

Dd #2 (the one that just started kindergarten) just lost her first tooth about 1/2 hour ago. She was eating an apple, and pop, out it fell. She was so proud and happy. :D

I'm heating up LO meatloaf and green beans for supper here - boy, what a chore. :lol: I had it already prepared last night, and then on the spur of the moment we decided to go to the circus, so didn't have time to wait for it to finish baking.

Later,
Angela

Tejas
09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Bread and fish...hmmm, a take off on the loaves and the fishes??

No, it used to be believed that if you ate bread it would protect your gut from any bones that you may have accidentally swallowed!

Just waiting for the steaks to get done on the bar-b-que..:T

Back later...

ontarget
09-09-2006, 06:55 PM
kathy, i had a feeling you'd gone to razzoo's. makes me hungry just thinking about it. albertson's had their tilapia on sale today buy 1 get 1 free. i got baja crusted. also, coconut shrimp. got that, too.

vickie, i'm hungry for popcorn, too. i had some yesterday and don't want to eat it any more till next week. anyone want to make a bet on that?

hi, angela. i guess the tooth fairy is revving up to visit tonight.

rhonda, enjoy your steak. (that makes me hungry, too.)

Katpo
09-09-2006, 07:48 PM
That coworker who had the baby in July ... the one that I did the secret fairy stuff for :lol: ... gave me a $40 gift card to Razzoos last week as a thank-you. Since we were going anyway, I decided to take it. It covered lunch for three people with the tip; can't beat that! Then since we had "bought" lunch, Jon bought everything else so our day was pretty much free.

I have just made whole wheat spaghetti with mushrooms, broccoli, and tomatoes, and am going to cook the fish in a minute. I have decided to try the cod. If it's half as good as that tilapia, I'll be happy.

septembersgoal
09-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Kathy, that was so nice of her to give you that gift certificate. Of course what you did was really special! Glad you had a nice (free) lunch.

Thanks Vickie. You sound like you're feeling better, even though your stomach was hurting. I hope that you are resting and feeling even better now.

Angela, glad to see that you are back on the core wagon. It inspires the rest of us slackers (um, I mean me). :)

Tejas, how were your steaks? Sounded yummy.

Sandra, did you get your rain? :rain: We got a major downpour here today.

I'll tell you what gals this Pampered Chef thing makes me want to lose weight again. Isn't that funny? They seem unrelated, maybe it's just being in front of people or whatever. But it is motivating. I'll take it where I can get it I suppose. ;)
Tomorrow is going to be a wild day for us. Starting tomorrow Aaron will be leading worship for two services instead of just one. It's a long story, but he's not excited about it (and not getting a raise mind you). Ah, joys of church work. Too bad everything is so institutionalized. Sorry.
I think I'll shop online for awhile. I need to find DH something to give me for my birthday. :D

Katpo
09-09-2006, 09:56 PM
You GO, girl! I can't believe it's almost your birthday again! Seems like it was just last month! This year has flown by ... that's for sure!

Whatever the motivation is, then I say go for it! I've been motivated in the past by the weirdest things but don't even question it -- just act quickly before the whim passes (which for me, could be any minute).

Judd saw a pizza commercial and decided he wanted that. I had already made the spaghetti, so I just put it in the refrigerator and will have it one night next week. Since I'll be on my own, I can do pretty much whatever I want. I bought a lot of Lean Cuisines so that I could have that with a salad for dinner.

I'm getting tired for some reason; shouldn't have gotten up at 6 on a Saturday morning when I didn't need to. Tomorrow will be another early morning because I have to finish the laundry so that Judd can get his clothes ready. I think he's leaving around noon.

Melissa, I wish Aaron had a better situation. I'll be sure to keep him in my prayers ... surely something will give soon. I remember how excited he was to get that job. Hopefully it can be salvaged.

Night, all. Have a good evening and get some rest!

septembersgoal
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey Kathy! Yes, this year has flown by...and I'm still nowhere near my goal! :mad: Oh well, no reason to pout, it's my own fault! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the prayers. It's not like it's a terrible situation, just not exactly what we thought it was going to be. But that's the way it goes, huh?
I haven't found anything for my birthday yet. Nothing really appeals to me except expensive jewelry. :lol: Hmmm...

septembersgoal
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I just found out that Hospice here in town is hiring a Bereavement Counselor (the only position I'm remotely qualified for)! It's the first time I've seen this open since we came back to KY!! :crossed:

Froufy
09-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Here I am - successfully arrived in Miami - it is so hot and steamy here I am absolutely melting - and lo and behold I now have curls in my hair!

Our flights were as uneventful as we had hoped!

Vicke - we loved Chicago airport - esp those automatic plastic toilet seat cover things - wow - how impressive - I just wanted to keep watching that happen! We had just enuf time to make our 35 min connection - bathroom break - picked up sandwich at some restaurant in food court - and then to the gate where they were already boarding. Nice movie and drinks (your diet pepsi sure taste different than ours!)....and water and coffee.

I am of course eating too much. We were just over at Bayside Marketplace - a very amazing place - saw all these outstanding yachts tied up and lots of people and shopping and daiquiri bars and restaurants.

Had dinner at Bubba Gumps (mahi mahi) and my tummy hurts cuz I ate too much and even had a blue hawaii drink so I am even drunk now.

We are in the (free internet) business center at the hotel - before heading off to bed!

Can't wait to board the ship tomorrow.

Hope you are all fine and well and behaving yourselves while I'm gone!

Later chickies!:D :D

Froufie

Katpo
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Sa-WEET! I was hoping you could check in before boarding the ship! Have a SUPER time!! We are totally jealous and miserable in our respective homes, living boring lives and wishing we were you!! :lol:

p.a.
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey gang,
we got back from our vacation of visiting our dd's and then right back to work. Its been pretty hectic around here lately. I did manage to maintain while I was away..guess thats good. It sure has been cool here ..frost at nights already!
Vickie I hope your feeling better soon
Frouf I know your gone but I hope you have a great trip...I heard two planes clipped wings (on the ground I believe yesterday) one of the planes was headed for chicago...wonder what the odds are it was Froufs plane?? I sure hope not..
Melissa,,,keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Hi to all the new members!! great to see you here
I better go let my pup in,,hes barking.
Will check in again tomorrow..

coming back to edit...HI FROUF.........glad it was uneventful plane trip..enjoy those blue drinks!!

Vickie
09-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I woke up this morning to a very dreary rainy day. I'm very happy that I don't have anywhere to go and nothing I must do but watch TV, read and cook dinner. Life is good. I'm still not seeing a lot of improvement but I'm not getting any worse so that's great in itself. I certainly don't feel up to exercising. I'm not sure what the scale will do tomorrow but I hope it will go down a smidgeon. Still no exercise for me this week which I know is the only thing that will make me lose since I am NOT willing to eat like a bird. Period.

Jim and I watched a lot of 24 last night. We are currently viewing season four. We saw season five last year, so after this we'll be caught up. It takes a little drama out of it that we know some people are in season five...meaning we know they survive but it's still good. I wasn't sure I could watch them since I'm such a scaredy cat about terrorist stuff. This year's stuff about the nuclear plants has me a bit disturbed. Especially since I think there is one not too far from us here. I keep telling myself it's just a movie.

Now I'm going to post a menu thread and see what you are all up to.

Vickie
09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Angela, 5 year old Great Niece has her adult teeth growing in behind her baby teeth! Dentist gave her 3 weeks to wiggle them and try to get them to fall out or he's going to pull them. My Niece keeps giving her apples to eat and she bites on the side. Stubborn little girl. I'm so glad you're back on Core. It works and we know you are good about getting your exercise. You'll have those pesky pounds off in no time. Is your meat loaf recipe posted? I need to make one and freeze it for lunches. Another thing Jim won't eat.

Rhonda, I'm still waiting for MY steak! Medium rare please.

Kathy, your pasta sounded good from last night. Did you put your healthy oil in there too? I've been thinking about Shaun. I asked in one of my recent posts if you had heard from him. I guess you didn't see it. Is he well? He's sure been seeing lots of rain!

Melissa, I'm sorry for Aaron. It sounds like they are taking advantage. What is wrong with people? The job at the Hospice sounds like an answer to a prayer. I hope your resume is all ready. Didn't you also know someone who works there so that you could get a bit of an inside track?

Frouf, it was SO good to hear from you! O'Hare is amazingly clean and nice which I think is surprising given its size. I, too, love those rotating toilet seat liners. Imagine how disgusted I am when I got to other airports! I've travelled a lot for work and have never seen another nicer airport. Not that I'm prejudiced! It truly sounds like you relaxed quickly and are well on your way to having a marvelous vacation. Enjoy yourself because it will pass quickly.

Patti, HUGE congratulations for keeping the weight off on vacation. So you and I have the hang of maintenance...now we just need to lose some more! It seems like we are all either crazy busy or sick. Not good.

Ok Chicks! I'm off to give us a menu thread since we didn't have one yesterday at all.