Exercise! - Cool Runners--September!

View Full Version : Cool Runners--September!

midwife
09-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi all! September is here, which means that my half marathon is NEXT month!! Ack!! My long run last week was 7.5 miles, so this week I am aiming for 8.5 miles. In addition I am running 3 miles 2-3 times a week and keeping up with kick cardio...mostly!

This week I am going to try to find a way to carry water with me. How do you all do it?

softballmom
09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I love new months!

I am near the end of my C25K program, running 2-3 miles (3-4x week). I should be graduating next week with a 5K race run on the 9th. I've done 5Ks before, but only walked. I am very excited that quite possibly I might be able to run the complete 3.1 miles. This week I've been going further and pushing at the 3 mile mark, but walking a minute midway. It will have actually taken me 14 weeks to complete this 9 week program due to repeating weeks until I was confident of my physical level, but that's okay. I think I'm better for the long run (no pun intended).

My goal after next week is to work on endurance and adding mileage by 10%, then begin to add some speed work in. I currently run an average of 12 minute miles, so much improvement can be made. I've read recently that if one allows running to be part of their lifestyle through the 6 month mark, usually the activity is incorporated into their lifes. So that is my ultimate goal for the next 3 months - no burn out or injuries :crossed:

May I "graduate" over to this forum?

AnneWonders
09-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Softballmom, I don't think there is any need to 'graduate' here. Anyone who is running, trying to run, or even thinking about it is welcome here as far as I'm concerned. Congrats on getting to the end of the C25K program and good luck on your race next week.

Midwife, good luck on your half. I carry water in a camelback waist pack. It is about the right size for a 10 mile run for me. It can also hold keys, a gel or two and an ID. I just make sure to sinch it really tight so it doesn't bounce.

I squeeze in two miles on the treadmill yesterday. Man, I hate treadmills, but I really needed to get even a short run in, and it was over 100F yesterday afternoon. I'm always terrified it is going to throw me in the wall. Today I got in 20 miles on the bike with DH. Hilly course--I needed that for training for my tri, and even though I'm still hacking and snorting up goobers from my recent cold, I did very well.

Sunday morning I'm scheduled to do about 3 miles run/walk with the baby jogger. Then I'm on the bike or in the pool until next Friday.

Happy running everybody. Happy Labor Day and happy September.

Anne

midwife
09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Anne. I will try a camelback and see how that goes. I guess I am afraid it will weigh me down or something (why did I not have that same concern regarding the ginormous breakfast burrito I inhaled this am??).

I have the same fears about treadmills. I worry I will tire and slow down and fly off.

I agree, Softballmom, no graduation necessary. I run 12 min/miles myself and I post without even thinking twice!!

Ilene
09-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Gang :wave: a new month :dance: love those new beginning... I didn't run today but I did yesterday and it was good... I am a super slloooowwww runner too but I still run...

softballmom -- Everyone is welcomed here!!

Only Me
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
softballmom, Welcome! And I agree with the others that there's no need to graduate to this thread. I've been running for just over 2 years now (I started with the c25k program in July 2004) and it's definitely part of my lifestyle now. I get quite antsy and crabby when I can't get out for a run often enough.

midwife, after trying a bottle holder waist pack that made me nauseous and a backpack camelback type pack which was too hot, I decided that I prefered just carrying a 500ml waterbottle in my hands.

I got in a 30 minute run yesterday. I'd planned to run longer, but my darn sore toenail was changing the way I landed my foot. I figured another 30 minutes running was not worth the chance of injuring myself and be stuck not running for days or weeks, so I cut the run short. I have to admit that my legs were still a bit tired too. Tomorrow I'm hoping for about 60-70 minutes slow and easy, although I'm considering wearing my sandals to avoid the toenail problem. I wish it would just fall off--it would hurt less than having a constantly refilling blister underneath.

AnneWonders
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Just to be clear, I use the camelback waistpack for running, not the backpack type that is probably more familiar.

Only Me, I think there is some old rule about taking one easy running day for every mile you race, so after a marathon you'd need something like a month to recover fully. I got pregnant pretty much instantly after my marathon, so I have no idea how well it works! :)

Anne

Only Me
09-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Anne, I know it's supposed to take a few weeks to recover fully from a marathon, and I'm trying to force myself to take it easy. After going from 60km+ weeks all summer, to 15-22km this week, depending on whether I run 5-12km tomorrow (I'll decide based on how I feel the first 2-3km), I'm going a bit stir crazy. My mind wants me running 60km+ again even if my body doesn't. Honestly, I think the taper and the recovery are by far the worst parts of training for a marathon. I don't think I'm going to try the get pregnant method of recovery--I'm happy enough with the kids I've already got. ;)

YP1
09-03-2006, 08:18 AM
I went out for 17 miles this morning. It was meant to be 20, but my legs just ran out of energy after about 15. I've been a bit disrupted for the past 10 days so I was just glad to get running again and do something of a decent length, even if I wish I could have kept going for the extra 3 miles.

I'm heading into the taper now - only 3 weeks to go!

AnneWonders
09-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Good luck with your taper Helen! Don't go stir crazy.

I got in two miles this morning with the baby jogger and DD. Just over 30 minutes. It was actually faster than one of my solo runs a couple weeks ago. Was glad to be out as I was felling lousy yesterday--migraine.

Anne

Lucky13
09-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I ran over 30 miles last week - woohoo! finally! I've come so close the past few weeks :)

My long run was an 11-miler (completed in about 1 hr 50 minutes) - i was very tired afterwards...but one thing i've noticed is my back hasn't been killing me after long runs anymore...even when i ran my half marathon back in february, my back hurt for about 3 days afterwards...now - i think i'm much stronger...maybe not faster or lighter, but stronger...

I only got in an easy 3 miles last night...will run either tonight or tomorrow depending on what kind of 'chores' i need to do around the house today after work

2frustrated
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
20 minutes HIIT/hills with a 40 second sprint finish! Was trying for a whole minute but my pins had other ideas! :lol:

Only Me
09-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I ran an easy 5k this morning. My legs feel much happier to be moving than last week! Tomorrow is my first mile repeats in months.

Emily, great job on the 30 mile week! I'm looking forward to getting back up to that level myself.

Ilene
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Did some HIIT too this morning ...

Later going to join my running group today is our first day of the season :dance: can't wait to see them!!

YP1
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Easy 5 miles this morning. The same tomorrow and thursday probably. I'm finding all the data from the HRM really interesting, although I really need to work out what to do with it to train better. It's interesting tracking how my pace and heart rate change over the course of my run though.

AnneWonders
09-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Seems like I've got some plantar faciitis going on now. Ice, tennis ball massage to the arch (hurts so good), lots of calf stretching, and ibuprofin. Anybody have any other good tips? This week is more cycling for me, but I am supposed to run again on Friday. Hoping it is better by then.

Anne

Ilene
09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
My GF has PF and she got orthotics and it solved the problem. I have Morton's Neuroma and orthotics work great for me...

Lucky13
09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
ouch Anne - I don't know what PF is so i'm afraid i'm no help there...

I got in 6 miles last night and it was extremely difficult...definitely taking today off to revitalize my muscles...

i'm so bummed! i just found out that NBC's the Biggest Loser is on Wednesday nights this year! i play co-ed softball wednesday nights...no tivo...not sure if i can get our vcr to record something on a timer... :(

OH! and the Fox show Justice is also on Wednesdays! What's a girl to do? i think i have some experimenting with my vcr tonight!

redsoxgirl
09-06-2006, 08:36 PM
For PF try taking a cold 12 ounce can of soda and rolling your foot on it, it works well to stretch it out.

When I had it I went to the running store and got fitted for new running shoes, it's been fine since and I definitely run more now.

YP1
09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
I've done my 3 x 5 mile midweek runs now, just 12 miles on Saturday and that's this week done, then two more even lighter weeks to go...

2frustrated
09-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Just did some hills at lunch - not bad, stalled early because I was so hungry :mad:

Lovestorun
09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Hey Yall! got in 3.5 miles today. Yesterday I only managed 2.0 miles due to
my ipod acting up and the rain.:(

Take it easy- happy runs to all...:D

Lucky13
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
managed a very slooooowwww run/walk last night just to keep my legs energized a bit - 3 miles...was kind of nice actually :)

gosh - i am so PMS'y today it's not even funny...all food looks great to me...

AnneWonders
09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I got in 4 miles this morning. For the first time all summer it was less than 70F and it felt great. It also rained on me! I almost never get to run in the rain--our winter rains are very cold, and our summer rains are typically great scary thunderstorms, but we're having some nice gentle rains the last couple days. I think this might be the remnants of the hurricanes that pounded Mexico. Anyway, I had a great run, my pace was good, and I was right on my run plan with one scheduled walk break.

Tomorrow is a bike, scouting out the race course for my tri Oct 1, and then Sunday is a jogging stroller run and a swim in the afternoon. I'm so glad the weekend starts in a few hours. I need the break.

Anne

Ilene
09-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Ran 5k yesterday with my running group, we had a great time, there are a LOT of newbies so it's fun! Today I ran 2miles on the treadmill doing some speed intervals, I really need to get faster...

Lovestorun
09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone- did 3.5 miles today felt great. Well this weekend I hope to get in a long run (for me thats 8-10 miles). Looking forward to a nice even pace. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay safe.

Stacey:cool:

YP1
09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I was naughty today, I ran on my rest day, and I'm meant to be tapering. There's a huge concert (90,000 people) in my local park and they advised against driving in the area, so I decided to run/walk home from work instead. Actually the traffic wasn't so bad and I could have got back without the exercise, but it's a beautiful evening so I thought I might as well.

I will skip one of my weekend runs as penance though, this really isn't the time to be doing extra workouts! Actually, the mileage works out about right anyway, so it's not too naughty of me, although at the weekend I'd have run properly - today I had to run/walk because I was carrying my work stuff and I also had to dodge pedestrians most of the way back.

Only Me
09-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Helen, I'm sure an extra run at this stage in your taper won't hurt things too much. Just don't do it again, young lady. ;)

Stacey, I'm hoping to get in an 8-10 mile long run too. I think it's a great distance--long enough to feel like I'm doing something, but short enough that it doesn't take all morning and I'm not wiped out afterwards.

Ilene, your running groups sounds like a lot of fun and great motivation to get out there!

Anne, you're happy for temps to get under 70 degrees, and I went running on Thursday afternoon when it was about 70 and I found it uncomfortably hot again. We've had a cool late summer this year and I was used to running in the 50s/60s.

I managed to run something resembling a 30 minute tempo run for the first time in months. It felt tough, but great when I was finished. The rain actually held off and was only slightly misty. It was 11C/53F and that was plenty warm for me by the time I stopped. Tomorrow will either be a long run of 14-16km or a 5k race depending on whether dh wants to race or not tomorrow morning.

Ilene
09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I ran 5k in the mist this morning too and loved it, it was about the same temp as you OnlyMe... Love that kind of weather... I also ran in 70F this week and found it hot... Funny what hot and cool is to different folks depending on where we live...

midwife
09-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I ran for an hour Friday night. I was planning 1.5 hrs but it began to sprinkle and then POURED. I don't mind running in a light rain, but by the time I got to my car my shoes were filled with water.

Today my running plans were slightly disrupted by the fact that I was accompanied by small children. So I ran backwards for 30 minutes. Probably not a lot of mileage, but I kept moving, they kept up and I really felt some interesting muscles.

Only Me
09-10-2006, 03:11 PM
I managed my first post-marathon 16km run this afternoon. Funny that after running 42.2k, 16k can seem pretty tough again. It didn't help that I got a bit lost running in an area that I'd only gone before during a race. Without the other runners and helpful course markers, I got a bit mixed up and hit a couple of dead ends. But I made it home anyway.

AnneWonders
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Two miles this morning with the jogging stroller. Completely uneventful for once!

Anne

Lucky13
09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
ran 4.4 miles outside with DH on Saturday - very nice weather and a very nice slow pace. Then I finished off the work out with a 1.5 mile 'sprint' on the treadmill in the house.

Ran 12 miles yesterday in just under 118 minutes...that was pretty tough...still working my way up to the elusive >13.1 miles!

em

softballmom
09-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Ran my first 5K Saturday in just under 34 minutes. Planning on another mid-October, then a 10K first of November.

YP1
09-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Well done on the 5k!

I'm having a good rest at the moment, I seem to have hurt my foot - no idea how, and certainly not from overuse as I didn't run that much last week in comparison with previous weeks - but I'm desperately trying to avoid making it worse before the marathon. I can run on it (painfully) as it is, and would still do the marathon on it, but I'm not going to do anything that will make it any worse. If it's the same as I had before (same foot, and it feels the same, but not as painful as last time), it went down in about a week or so, so it should all be fine for the big day.

Ilene
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
:cp: Softballmom, that's excellent time!!

Helen, darnit girl take care of that foot :hug:

Today no run, just a leg workout... tomorrow :yes:

Lucky13
09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Did a nice and slow 3-miler last night to work out my soreness...will hopefully do either 6 tonight or tomorrow morning...

softballmom
09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Ran 3 miles last night. Will have an easy run tomorrow (2miler), and then try to exceed 3 miles Saturday for a "long" run. I want to see how far I can go if I push; that way I can better estimate a plan for the upcoming weeks to train for the 10K in November. I would like to be able to run 5miles by the end of October, so even if I have to walk one mile - that will be okay.

Sweater Girl
09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi Ladies,

I have been back to running for almost 2 weeks now. I cannot believe that my daughter is 2 months old now. She had her shots today (yes mom and baby were traumatized... I have never seen her cry so much) and is now snoozing.

Anyway I am sooo much slower than I was before and I wasn't exactly a speed demon before. Then again I am into HR training so this is what I have to do. I also was a small size 8 almost into size 6s last fall when I got pg and was doing my half marathon and now I am a size 13-14, so I am definitely feeling the added weight. I am back at WW and am exercising so with patience I am hoping most of it will be off by the summer.

Here's a pic of my DD that I took today!

Have a good day ladies!

Ali

Ilene
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
OMG, she's sooooo cute, you just want to eat her up!!!!

You'll get back into the swing of things in no time Ali!!

YP1
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
4 miles yesterday, 5 today. 4 again tomorrow I think, then rest on Friday.

I'm getting really excited now, and I keep on trying to resist starting to pack over a week in advance! I'm a bit gutted that it looks like I'll be travelling over there on my own instead of having company, but I've met a couple of people on the internet who are also running it (and some are on my flight), so hopefully I'll be able to hook up with some of them.

AnneWonders
09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Ali, she's gorgeous! And it sounds like you are right back on track. It is so hard to get back into shape with a baby, but I'm finding it happens, if slowly, if you stick with it. Enjoy that beautiful baby and congrats on getting started running again!

Helen, I'm starting to get excited for you! Keep breathing deeply and stick to your plan.

Anne

Lucky13
09-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Ali - she is so precious!!! very cute smile on that one

You'll be back to it in no time! Just keep with it!

AnneWonders
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Had a disappointing run today. Goal was 4 miles with one walk break, but that didn't happen. I ran the first 1.5, then ran/walked about another 0.75 then basically called it a morning and walked home. I really wasn't that tired physically, but I just couldn't get my head around it--that probably makes no sense to you all, but that was the deal. 3 miles total. I'm about to take the dogs for their loop which is just short of a mile making my run/walk total almost 4.

I've had a lot of stress this week, and running usually cleans all that out of my head. Today when I was out I kept thinking about work. A waste of a good run. Here's hoping you all do better.

Anne

Ilene
09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Anne -- Disappointing runs are a real bummer, especially if you really really wanted a good run :tantrum: ... Tomorrow will be better I'm sure...

Today I ran some intervals for 20 mins on the treadmill ... This afternoon I run with the gals, eventhough it's raining I must go and anyways it's a really nice warm rain for this time of year. I'll wear my running jacket with just a jog bra underneath...That's the plan anyways...

softballmom
09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Ali, your dd is precious; they do seem to grow up too quickly.

Anne, I had a bad run last night too! I was going for an easy 2.5miler "fun" run, and what I got was a learning experience.

After my run, my body felt well - no aches or pains; my head was cooperating, so what's the problem? Well, this morning I started looking at my nutrition intake comparing it with Tuesday which was a great run. Well, the cals were basically the same going in, but the percentages were drastically different. Tuesday's run was 14%F/78%C/12%P, while yesterday's was 41%F/30%C/30%P - thanks to a ceasar salad I had for lunch, splurging on reg Ceasar dressing as a treat. So, lesson learned is that I must get my carb intake up above 50%, which is my norm. I guess next time I don't, I'll have to have a backup plan such as an energy type bar etc to help fill in the gap.

Dreamer85
09-16-2006, 12:36 AM
I can't wait to be able to keep up with some of you ladies... :)

Soon, hopefully.

YP1
09-16-2006, 04:37 AM
A fairly fast 3 miles this morning, I definitely seem to have more energy in my legs as I was really having to try to hold myself back a bit at times. I've run the route faster, but not recently as I've been slowing down during the marathon training. 8 miles tomorrow, and then just a week of nearly no running to go.

AnneWonders
09-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Helen,

One week to go! :dance:

Anne

Only Me
09-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Ali, Congratulations on your darling little one and on getting back into running so quickly! Remember, it took you 9 months to gain the pregnancy weight, so you get at least that long to lose it again.

Helen, good luck on staying sane for the next week. You've done the training and you'll be fine next weekend.

I watched my dh run a race this morning. He ran 45:13 for 10k. Not bad for a guy who runs maybe 2x per week when the weather's ok. I wish I was that fast! Then I went out for 8k myself this afternoon. Tomorrow should be an 18k long run.

YP1
09-17-2006, 05:40 AM
8 miles this morning, it felt GOOD! It's a lovely sunny day out there, but not too warm - lovely running weather. I ran it fairly comfortably at pretty close to marathon pace (unintentionally fast, to be honest), and am starting to feel a bit more confident again, which can only be a good thing.

This time next week I'll be running! I really can't believe I'm going to do it. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I do it, the fact that I've got myself from being over 100lb overweight to running a marathon still blows me away when I think about it.

AnneWonders
09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Today I did my anniversary race! It was the first race I ever signed up for back in 2003, when I did the 5K. I've done it every year except last year, when I was about 9 months pregnant. Today I did the 5K with DD in the jogging stroller. My time was 37min20sec, which works out to about 12min/miles--not my best time ever by a long shot, but not too bad pushing that thing! I also ran the whole distance except for about a 200 yd stretch which went through a bunch of gravel and through a couple little washes which was just too hard to run the stroller through. Considering it has been rough lately doing my 4 mile runs with 1 walk break, I'm pretty ecstatic!

DD was an official participant, and she got her first race number and finisher's medal. She loved the medal--so much fun to chew! I'm so happy that I'm able to do this for her as well as for me. It is so important to have a healthy lifestyle and it makes me feel really good that she'll grow up thinking this is normal.

You are going to have an awesome marathon, Helen. Just keep sticking to your plan, try not to do anything silly, and don't eat any suspicious food. I'm looking forward to reading your race report next week. You are on such an amazing journey--you should be proud of yourself, and I know you'll do a great run.

Anne

Ilene
09-17-2006, 11:38 PM
No run for me today I went for a bike ride 30K...

Helen -- I am so excited for you, I can't wait for pics and descriptions ....

softballmom
09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Got in a 3.5miler on Saturday morning. Very good run, which by the end I felt I could do more.. amazing. I'm ramping up my miles by 10% the next weeks to train for a 10k in November.

Helen, you inspire me. Maybe soon I'll be training for longer races. Please let us know how it goes.

Lucky13
09-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Lots of house stuff going on this past weekend so I only managed to run on Saturday - 11 miles...not too bad but my energy was pretty blah too...

Ran 3.25 this morning and again, energy level blah...morning runs on an empty stomach are not really my strong suit I think...wish I had enough time to eat before and then run but I'm already getting up at 4:45 in order to do what I'm doing...

Oh well...I leave for a business trip tomorrow so I will either run 4 more tonight or do another run tomorrow morning...the place I'm staying has a fantastic fitness center so I look forward to taking advantage of that!

Take care,

emily

softballmom
09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Did 3.25miler last night in beautiful weather! Ran into a wall during my final mile and had to take a quick walk break so that I could finish the planned run.

Do you guys use energy bars or protein shakes to help get some carbs into your system, especially before a longer run? I can't find any bars where I like their nutrition labels. To me the saturated fats seem to run too high (over 2g).

YP1
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I've never used protein shakes, but do occasionally have an energy bar. To be honest, if it's purely for a running energy boost I don't bother too much about the label - the point is that it has some substance to it to give me energy.

4 days to go! I've done my last proper run, I've got 2 days of rest and one day with a 2 mile gentle jog to go before race day. I'm starting to get scared, but trying to persuade myself I'll enjoy it really.

Oh well, at least there's the free beer and money at the end to get me through the last bit!

(well, the money isn't actually free, but you get your deposit returned when you give your chip back. The beer on the other hand is apparently provided by the sponsors, it being Germany :dizzy: )

softballmom
09-21-2006, 08:24 AM
There's a dream: Visit Germany and run a marathon for free beer. That is mojo all in itself :lol:.

Best to you Helen - please share your accomplishment next week afterwards!
Enjoy your rest days.

Only Me
09-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Good luck Helen! You've done the training and you'll do fine. Beer is an interesting post race food. Considering that I felt drunk for a good half hour or so after I finished the marathon, and that was with drinking water, sipping coffee and eating a granola bar and banana. I guess beer would help you forget your sore legs and feet though! Make sure to get some gatorade or similar drink in you too since you'll already be dehydrated and low on electrolytes.

Anne, great job on your anniversary race! And I agree that it's good for kids to grow up thinking being active is just a normal part of life.

softballmom, I don't eat anything for at least an hour before running or I feel sick. For two of my 32km runs and during the marathon I did use gels about every hour. They're pure sugar with some flavouring and are about 100 calories each. Another alternative is drinking gatorade or some other sports drink on longer runs.

I managed a somewhat difficult 19km Sunday, then 10km Tuesday. Wednesday dh got back from work much later than I expected, so no running. This afternoon I got out in the sunshine (and wind) for 11.6km. I want to run another 10k tomorrow and then take Saturday off since we've planned to go to a race on Sunday and my legs definitely feel fresher after a day off.

Ilene
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Good Luck Helen :cheer:

YP1
09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm not actually sure I'll feel like the beer, but I might just try it to see... I've got a sachet of a recovery drink I'm going to make up and put in my bag when I get over there, and I'll have more sensible food in my bag to soak up some of the beer. I've also got some gels for the way round, but I'm still undecided about sports drink. They're using some bizarre German brand you can't get in this country (Basica Sport) and I really don't want to have a bad reaction to it. But the weather forecast is hot so I'm going to try to get hold of some on Saturday, at least see what it tastes like and hopefully it won't cause a nasty reaction on Sunday.

I've just packed, race gear is in my hand luggage, but not my trainers yet because I'm doing one more short run before I leave. Must make sure I don't forget them...

softballmom
09-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Anne, missed your post on your anniversary race. I love the concept of going back next year and doing my first run race again; I hadn't thought about it until your post. Your DD is a very lucky little girl to have an active mom like yourself to teach her to live healthy from birth on up.

Last night's run was a planned easy run (for me) at 2.5miles. The first mile, once again, gave me problems until I started relaxing into it. I'm so pumped when I start, then my body starts yelling at me when I do. It takes about .5-1mile to get all the cobwebs out of my system. I still only run every other day, I wonder if that's why? I'm keeping my pace during the first mile, so I know it's not that.

vouge09
09-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi there I am a new runner sort of well trying to catch into the running spirit. I am walking and jogging combination at the moment about a mile everyother day. I am really out of shape and I do want to be a runner so I am doing heavy cardio aerobics inside and every other day walk/run with dog ( Which i hate ,hes such a pain in the buttox, he never listens and always runs the leash in front of me) or with my mom whos trying to walk more to ease stress, so I am hoping for a welcome here and mabey some stories and tips from pepole who have lost a bunch of weight and was at my running starting point previously.

Ilene
09-22-2006, 06:38 PM
:wel3fc: Vouge :wave: .... The only thing I can tell you is to start gradually as to not get hurt and it seems you are doing just that, so keep on running...

vouge09
09-22-2006, 07:06 PM
:-)

YP1
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Hello, I did it!!! Not as fast as I'd have liked (or am capable of) for a mixture of reasons - heat, my cold/cough and crippling stomach pain, but I made it round in 4:51:26. The full report is on my blog (http://berlinmarathon2006.blogspot.com/)...

Sheila53
09-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Congratulations, Helen!! What an accomplishment!! :bravo:

Edited: Just read your blog. You had rather a rough time so it's doubly an accomplishment to even finish, AND to be thinking about your next race. I'm so proud of you!

iowasteph2
09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
First, Congratulations, Helen!! It's wonderful!! I read your blog, and I'm inspired! You certainly had your obstacles, but you didn't give up!

As for me, I haven't been around for a while. I was running (and posting here) fairly regularly throughout the summer. Then, I became pregnant, and I was just too plain tired to run! I was exhausted. Unfortunately, I experienced a miscarriage during my 8th week of pregnancy. I waited a couple of weeks to heal (physically and emotionally), and now I'm back training. I ran 2 miles today, and it was pretty much torture. I'm going to try to keep at it though. We're hoping for another pregnancy soon, but I want to also get back into shape. It's amazing how long it takes to become a "runner," yet how quickly the endurance fades. I look forward to your inspiration!

softballmom
09-24-2006, 05:13 PM
WTG, Helen. Just finishing your first marathon, IMO, is a great accomplishment! I'll read your blog later to see how it went for you.

iowasteph, glad to have you back, but so sorry about your loss.

I did my planned 3.75miles yesterday. I surprised myself since I went in with a headache and overall "not feeling well". I even did it in my pace for the entire run. A runner I see all the time at the park ended up running my pace for the middle, and that helped a lot to have someone to run behind that was basically going my speed. Too bad his 5 miles were over before my final laps, but he encouraged me on to finish the final mile. And, of course, DH was encouraging me from the sideline. He's doing the C25K, so his run ended a lot sooner than my 45minutes.

AnneWonders
09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
:balloons:

Congrats Helen! I think you should get double stars after reading your race report, and you should be really proud of yourself for sticking it out.

iowasteph, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Welcome back to running--it is very hard to start over again, but you'll get there.

I ran 3 yesterday and it went pretty well. All the grandparents are here for the big birthday, so I have lots of help. I needed that run, because I way way overdid it on birthday cake and ice cream, but DD turns 1 only once, and it was an occasion and not a habit.

Anne

Lucky13
09-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Congrats Helen!! Sounds like you had quite the experience!! Don't worry too much about the 'gory' details - you had to keep it real, right?? And I love the idea of 'treating' yourself to your little candies at each mile - I may steal that idea!

You are definitely an inspiration for my training - that's for sure!

I am definitely signing up for the Dallas Marathon this December. Funny though - my reasons are more that I feel like this is my 'last chance' for a long time to train for one. DH and I plan on starting a family next year and this is the last one available around here in cooler months (ok -that's a lie - there is one next February in a neighboring town that I will sign up for if for some reason I am unable to get to this one but I don't want to use that as an excuse for not training for December).

So, hopefully by next December I'll be preggers so that puts me out to 2008 if i'm up to it!

Anyhoo - training has been going ok. I was on travel 80% of last week and I ran over 30 miles last week!!! I didn't have any 'long runs' but I ran 6 days to stay in shape! I'm pretty happy about that but I feel like I've gained weight! Hopefully in a couple of days my weight will have settled a bit and I'll feel a little more normal...after all - I still have a bridesmaid dress to fit into later this year!!

Once again Helen - way to go!!!!!

YP1
09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone, I seem to have recovered pretty much OK now. My legs feel surprisingly good (so much so that I am itching to get out for a run tomorrow!) so I know that I had more endurance in my legs than I got the chance to use yesterday, and I've got my appetite back - I thought that yesterday I'd be eating and drinking anything that moved, and was surprised to find that even drinking water was a struggle, and I only managed to summon up the desire to eat something at about 10pm - and then left half of it! I spent a few hours wandering round Berlin this morning doing some sightseeing (proudly wearing my finishers t-shirt!) before my flight home.

Still, I'm already plotting my next race(s) - I've got the Amsterdam half coming up, a 10 in November and then a very popular local half in January (it filled up within 3 days of entries opening so it must be good - I've never run it before so it will be a new experience). And I'm sure I will do another marathon, but I've not decided when yet. I'll get my London application in, but realistically I won't get a place (but I want to apply to start building up my number of rejections so I can get a guaranteed place eventually), and I'm not going to think about the next marathon properly just yet... honest!

midwife
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Helen!!! Congrats! What a gritty story! I have a question for you that I will PM if that is ok.

Iowasteph, I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you....It is very hard.

Happy birthday to your little one, Anne. I remember when she was born...

YP1
09-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I've just done a 2 mile recovery run and I feel human again now! My legs seem to have tightened up a bit overnight, but a bit of a run and a stretch seems to have sorted them out, hopefully for the rest of the day.

I'm trying to take it gently, but not lose too much endurance because I've got a half in less than 3 weeks. I'm not going to race it as such, but I want to make sure I get to the start line in a fit state to get round, even if I don't do a PB.

softballmom
09-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh wow, Helen. I just got the opportunity to read your blog, tearing up as I read it. What an inspiration you are to me. Thanks for sharing, even the graphics - it brought it fully into picture :lol:

Keep running, I'm looking up to you..

Ilene
09-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Helen -- Congrats :balloons: I am so proud of you!!

I have just been running 5k 3-4 times/week and I'm very happy with that at the moment...

YP1
09-27-2006, 02:13 AM
3.7 miles this morning. I'm keeping the pace relatively easy (not least because i've still got this cold) but it feels good to be doing something, even if it's not huge mileage compared to what I was doing before the taper.

softballmom
09-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Helen, When you were training how many days a week did you run and how did you work the mileage per day? I understand training for a marathon would be a lot more drastic to get the mileage in required, but I'm just curious. Now that the marathon is over what will be a normal run week for you?

Got my planned 3.5miles in last night. A very good start and beautiful finish. My pace was just a little slower for my first mile, but I was able to finish my other two and half miles at just under my 12min/mile pace.

YP1
09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
I was mainly doing 5 days a week, 2 short runs (3 - 5 miles), 2 medium runs (5 - 8 miles) and one long run (8 - 20 miles). The mileage built up from around 25 up to 43 at the peak of the training.

Now what I'm aiming to do (roughly) over winter is to do about 20 - 25 miles per week, with 2 shorter easy recovery runs, 1 longish weekend run (up to about 10 miles) and 1 quality session switching between hills and speedwork midweek. I'm not planning to do exactly the same every week, but working on that rough pattern. I've got a half marathon in January so I might switch to a proper training plan for that in mid November and ramp up the mileage a bit, but until then I'm just going to take it a bit easier without losing too much endurance. I don't want to go back to the situation where building up to 10 miles seems hard, but I don't want to regularly run too much further than that while my legs recover.

softballmom
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks Helen - very good information. I've been increasing my weekly miles by just under 10% by adding an extra lap (1/4mile) each week to my Tuesday and Saturday runs (more energy those days, go figure), but I'm wondering if I could actually push a little harder, maybe adding 1/2m to each Saturday run.

I have a 10k planned for Nov 11, and I can do just under 4miles now and my plan is to be able to do at least 5miles by Oct end. But I wonder if I can ramp my training up and try for at least 6miles before the run. I just want the experience, realizing that I will probably not be able to run the entire 6.2miles, but one day will.

Ilene
10-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Cool Runners is now closed for September, cya in October :wave: