General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Dieting moms

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207849,00.html

They also featured a similar show on NBC. They showed this mom who constantly would say out loud that "OMG, I'm gaining weight, I hate it, I look so ugly, I must not eat this, I cant fit in my jeans..............!!!!" She didnt even look overweight to me.. her daughter who was 13-14 started having this body dysmorphic diisprder (or ehatever they call it) and developed anorexia to the point that she was hospitalised. She hates her body even today and feels like she must end her life if she gained even a single lb. she is being treated currently.

So all moms (esp those who have adolescent daughters): dont be very obsessive with your weight infront of your kids. show them the importance of being healthy and more importantly "happy"! Just wanted to share.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #2  
Scottish Lass

S/C/G: 265/247/140

Height: 5'5'"

I agree and thanks for the info. Kid are bombarded with images from all different avenues and they all tell the girls that they have to be skinny and beautiful to be happy. I really stress the health issues at home. This evening my DH took the kids out for dinner and I chose to stay home rather than go with them and pig out which I knew I would. I told them that I had already prepared a healthy dinner and I would join them at home for a special movie night when they returned. Everybody was happy. If this were to happen all the time I'd be upset, but they're all skinny and 90% of the time they eat healthy too, so if they want fries with bleu cheese dressing they should be able to have it now and then. For the most part I think that if kids lead active lives, are involved in a sport after school and don't sit and munch out on chips in front of the tellyand eat healthy home cooked meals, chances are they will never have a weight problem.
Closed Thread