Support Groups - Being Accountable: Weekly Challenge #6

Jane
08-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Are we ready for this week's challenge? :carrot:

Challenge starts each Monday and ends on Sunday. And ANYONE is welcome to join.

Each week you choose something health-relatedthat you really have a hard time doing, and you do it for the week. Say for instance, you really want to cut down on sugar and you know you can do that for at least a few days a week. You can choose how many days such as 3 or 4, up to all 7 ....(but no less than 3, please) and then commit yourself to it.

AND....it doesn't have to be all in a row, either! You may decide to not eat sugar for 4 days. So on Monday you have no sugar, but on Tuesday you can have some, on Wednesday none, then Thurdsday...(you get the idea) Just try to complete the amount of days you committed yourself to.

You may choose limiting calories, getting in more exercise, drinking more water, eating less processed foods, taking a vitamin, journaling, counting carbs... whatever your need is - go for it! The choices are limitless!

So what do you think? Think we can commit to doing this? Let's give it a try! :yes:

Jane
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm in for 7 days of being OP with food. I'll save flex points for Sunday, as usual. Today's choices are already journaled, and I'm good to go! :cp:

How about you? What's your challenge for the week?

Marti
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Exercise. And lots of it. James bought me my own yoga book so I can tote that around.:D

WI was the same. Didn't lose a thing. But I didn't gain either so that's a plus.

Will report later how day one went!

suetalks
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I am going to continue with the food challenge. I will eat 5 times a day, small portions. That worked when I did it, then I tried going back to 3 meals and didn't lose. That's right...I lost nothing last week, and I so wanted to get under 170...boohoo. The bright side is I didn't gain!
I am forgoing ice cream this week too...along with a few other things I thought were harmless. Better label reading here from now on!

I plan to continue walking and getting in WATP when I can.

Jane- congrats on the loss!

suetalks
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Marti- we bumped posts..

Our new club is "At least we didn't gain" club! :)

Good luck this week.

FrouFrou
08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
My challenge this week will be working on the food, watching my portions and eating right. But instead of 7 days and I will be aiming for 5. We'll see what happens. Will still be getting my exercise in so...here's to a new week!

Obsidianbbw
08-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Ok, I think I can manage this.....My goal this week will be working out for at least 30 min a day. I worked out this morning alreay so day one down.

suetalks
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Good OP day and I did manage WATP this evening. It rained so I couldn't walk or ride the bike. Day 1 down....

harkeyvalley
08-29-2006, 12:16 AM
My challenge is to exercise 30 minutes each day for 5 days. I did 30 minutes today to Richard Simmons Toning to Broadway Hits. I was like a bowl of jello afterwards. 1 down 4 to go.

LIL'JJ
08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
This is going to be my first weekly challenge with y'all so I am excited.:carrot: This week my challenge is to stay COMPLETELY off caffeine :( I hate doing it but it makes me less anxious. Also I am going to work out 30 minutes a day.

suetalks
08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Welcome Lil'JJ ..Good challenge, caffeine used to be a tough one for me. Best of luck to you and Norma..way to go!

I didn't snack last night..yay! Off to a good start today! BBL

FrouFrou
08-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Welcome JJ and Obsidianbbw!

WTG Norma and Sue!:carrot: :carrot:

Today is day 2 of staying OP so far. I say so far because the day isn't over but I don't see a problem. I have my menu planned, even a snack so I don't stray. Oh, yesterday I did GREAT! Hoping to see a change on the scale this WI. :crossed:

Got in a good work out...walked 2 miles and went to IF...feeling pretty good!

Onward ladies...and keep up the good work!

Jane
08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the new challengers. :wave:

Good job, Cristina and Sue! :cp:

I messed up by doing some emotional eating. See the chit chat thread for details. But I didn't totally blow it out of the water, so there's hope yet.

See you tomorrow. :hug:

Yogini
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I'll take on the challenge!

I will finish eating before dark.

I will drink 64 ounces of water a day and will stick to a whole foods diet.

Exercise starts in full force on September 1 (when my gym membership begins!).

Best of luck to everyone ;)

suetalks
08-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I had a good day foodwise. Rode the bike on two short trips. My legs felt like jello the second time, but I will work up to a longer ride.

Yogina...glad to have you aboard. Obsidianbbw- Nice to have you here...sorry I missed you earlier.

Cristina..Good job!

Jane...You've done so well...just get back on track ASAP. :)

Jane
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Welcome Yogini! How's it going so far?

Sue - I did get back on track yesterday - no waiting for a new day. I had a light supper, and only an apple for a snack last night. I also did the treadmill, and actually, it felt good to kind of work off some of the stress I've been feeling.

Marti
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I've been doing yoga! So I"m pretty please w/myself there. It's been helping my sciatica and the pulled muscle in my back. I'm just an old wreck here this week!!

But so far, it's been 2 days of yoga.

Keep up the good work gals!!

Obsidianbbw
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Well I didn't work out yesterday and I realize I don't really want to work out everyday....so I am aiming for 4 days a week. Mon and wed are done.

Hope everyone else is having a good week.

FrouFrou
08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing GREAT! WTG ladies!:carrot: :carrot:

SUE...good for getting the bike rides and for eating OP!

JANE...WTG on getting back on track!

WELCOME YOGINI!

MARTI...WTG on getting the yoga done!

OBSIDIANBBW...4 days of exercise a week is a good start so WTG on 2 days down!

Today is day 3 of eating right. I'm not following an actual program so I can't say OP. So far so good though...yesterday I did good so that is 2 days of eating right down. Exercise is going strong and I am feeling great. My arms hurt because of the arthritis but it also feels good to work out so it's all worth it. No pain, no gain right? I went to IF and walked 1.5 miles.

Keep up the good work ladies!

suetalks
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Cristina- I am just saying OP if I stick to my plan and eat right. So, another day of being OP...and it is easier again. Seems like about every fourth day or so it is difficult, but if I get passed that it is okay. Those days that get me are the ones where I don't feel satisfied all day..ugh!

Way to go everyone...you are all doing super.

Not only did I ride the bike this morning and do WATP for a mile I also walked 2+ miles tonight. Watch out...exercise overload here. :)

I have been able to keep calories below 1400 every day with a couple days being as low as 1200. I like to keep under a bit, just in case I mis-calculated or the portion was a tad oversized.

Now, with that said...I better see the scales move on Mon. I need them to move by Fri. for Suzanne's weigh-in...egad!

Jane
08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
You guys are all doing so well, and I'm very proud of you. :cp:

Me, however...... I am hanging on by a thread. I just want to eat, without having to measure anything, or count anything, or think about it. Hopefully the feeling will pass before I mess up. :dizzy:

suetalks
08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Another good day for me. I ate as I should and walked 2+ miles. DH's birthday and I didn't eat cake!
I forgot to weigh this morning so will hop on the scales first thing in the a.m. for Suzanne.

harkeyvalley
08-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Jane: Don't worry about measuring. You probably know about how much a cup is anyway. Your second nature should be kicking in by now. I have faith in you. Drink that water that I dislike so much. If I can, you can!

Sue: Way to Go! No cake! You must have nerves of steel! Sounds like a NSV to me.

Cristina: Good job on the eating right and exercise. Sorry about the pain. Moist heat is good for that.

Marti: Congrats on the Yoga. Can you do the twisted pretzel?LOL
Just kidding!

Ob: Sounds like you have a plan. Consistency is what counts!

Howdy Yogini: good luck on your challenges.

Speaking of challenges. When does this one end? I pledged 5 days of exercise. I'm down 3 with 2 to go. Do I have time if I do them Fri & Sat?

Norma

Marti
08-31-2006, 11:31 PM
I gazelled it this morning. I felt better afterwards too. So that makes 3 days of exercise. I need to move so much more though. When does the motivation really kick in??? :dizzy:

Keep up the great work gals!

Jane
09-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Sue - yay for you, passing on the cake. :cp: A double yay if it was homebaked.

Norma - one thing I like a lot is water. I never have trouble getting it in, but it took me awhile to get to this point. Yep, a lot of this is all second nature by now, but what I meant was, I wish I just didn't have to worry about it at all. But I'm resigned to the fact that it's for life. We start fresh each Monday morning with the challenge. I think Marti will get us started on Sunday night.

Marti - just keep on until it's part of your daily life, I guess. You're doing great.

Well, I DID hang on to that thread, and pulled myself back up with it. :carrot: Although I usually weigh in on Saturdays, I weighed today for Suzanne's challenge, and am happy to say I'm down 1 more pound. That's an even 6 pounds for August, and an even 10 pounds since July 24th, when I began.

Cristi, Obsidian, Yogini, LILJJ, how's it going for you?

suetalks
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Hooray for Jane- I also weighed and was down a pound this week. So after the 6 pounds early in the month I recorded 7. Darn that week of not losing! I know 1 pound a week is better than none, so I will just try to stay steady as I go.
And yes, the cake was homebaked.

Started off good today and hope to finish with a walk and bike ride down!

Obsidianbbw
09-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I only post on days I work out. Kinda as a reward.I did the 2 mile WATP (an older one with the dreaded grapevine) The modifcation of only going every other day works alot better. Usually by day 5 I am dreading getting up in the morning and talking to the walking lady (working out to WATP DVD) so right now I am on track for my goal. I'll do a mile tomorrow and I'll probably try it with weights

Also what does

OP and IF stand for?

Congratulations Sue and Jane

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

Marti
09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Morning gals!

On the gazelle this morning! So I'm at my day 4. Nice.

Obsid--OP stands for On Program and IF stands for It Figures, a gym that Cristina goes to. Welcome to our challenge group, so happy to have you join us! I'm w/ya on the video's and having to listen to the person yap. Denise Austin is one I just can't listen to. I mute her and put on music!

Sue--I think 7lbs is fantastic. I recorded a loss of 4lbs. for August, but for the life of me....the last 2wks I haven't been able to budge the scale! I was aiming for at least 1lb a week!! So just think....I'm sitting here jealous! :D

Jane--Wow! 10lbs is fantastic! Ok...I'm jealous of you too!! Maybe I need to tweek my menu more.

Norma--Have to laugh about the pretzel! I can barely lift my leg up to do a standing pose!! (gotta work on my balance)

Cristi--You're having a great week!! Eating great and working out! Does the exercise help the arthritis at all??

Yogi--I haven't had a chance to say welcome. Welcome!! Your challenge is a toughy for me. W/the summer hours, it stays light out for a long time, so it wouldn't be so bad, but come winter......I don't even get off work until it's dark! Good luck and glad to have you join us.

LiLJJ--Another hello and welcome!!How are you doing w/the caffeine?? That would be such a hard one, I need it (ok....don't NEED it ) I WANT it every morning. So I end up w/a headache if I don't have any!! Hope you're not sufferring and are having great luck!

I hope I'm not missing anyone here. Good luck gals and keep up the good work. It's very inspiring!!:hug:

suetalks
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Marti- As one who has gotten off caffeine..years ago...I can tell you that if you get through those headaches for the second or third day then you are finished with that aspect. Of course, there are other downsides to getting off caffeine, such as the coffee tasting different. But, that too shall pass.
:) ( I guess you aren't trying to get off it..Lil'JJ is....but this is my 2 cents anyway)

FrouFrou
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello ladies...

Sorry for not doing individuals but I do want to say WTG to ALL you ladies! Everyone is doing an awesome job and WTG on the big losses for everyone! :carrot: :bravo: :carrot:

Marti...the exercises do help my arm while I am doing it but when I go to bed, the pain is always there. It really hurts if I move my arm the wrong way or over extend it. But the stretching exercises really do help and it does feel good.

I was doing great until Friday :( And I also forgot to WI on Thursday. I've had a few busy days and Friday was the busiest. Went to the show but because of running around I did not have time to eat lunch which I know is bad. Ended up getting a hot dog at the show and popcorn, yes with the dreaded butter. It gets worse...had to take DS to the er and just to stay awake I had a ding dong. I can't even remember how many days I said I was aiming for eating OP but I think I made it. :dunno: M-Thurs was OP, Fri-nope, Sat-so-so and will do better tomorrow. Will do this again next week.

suetalks
09-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I missed walking today, but got plenty of exercise anyway with loading and un-loading lumber. Two pick-up truck loads. I am lucky I can move tonight.
Food has been a little off today, but nothing major...I skipped breakfast so felt like I didn't do so well at lunch, but dinner was pizza and I had 1, yes, one slice and didn't even feel hungry afterward. okay..I will spill the beans about lunch..I had a grilled chicken breast sandwich, but it had mozzarella cheese on it and the bun was grilled. AND I had a cup of brocolli soup...but it had cheese in it. (a cup, not a bowl) Hopefully the calories I was over on lunch were what I missed at breakfast. :) Truthfully, I felt so full from lunch that I didn't eat anything else all day except the pizza. Tomorrow is not going to be easy..family party!

Next week I will do the food thing once again...gonna do it until I get it right.

Obsidianbbw
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I did the 1 mile walk with weights and broke a nice sweat. So that completes my very first challenge. WOO Hoo. was nice being able to post that.

Challenge for this week
4 days of excercise
veggies or fruit at least once a day.

Marti
09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
This week has been a good one for my exercise. So another week down! :carrot:

Great job to all and lets do this again next week. I'll post a new thread later on tonight.

Have a great day!

Jane
09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Congrats to those of you who are doing so well. :cp:

I overate at the dinner for friends last night. Not nearly as bad as I have done in the past, though. Not even close! Maybe I'm changing my overall habits and finally letting go of the "all or nothing" mentality once and for all.

I'll be ready to go again on the new challenge. :yes:

Obsidianbbw
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Well day one of excercise challenge is complete. Working on the veggies for tonight.