Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #1  
**Nadine Marie**

S/C/G: 173/*ticker*/135

Height: 5'6"

Default average mile run time

What or where can i find the average times for a female to run a mile? Im 19, 5'6", 160lbs if any of that information is needed.. thanks for the help
cherrykissez011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #2  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

I don't know if there is any data like that. Everyone runs a little differently

I think anywhere from 9-12 minutes per mile is pretty normal, depending on your fitness level and how much you run at one time.

When I first started running, i was lucky to break 34 minutes (over an 11-minute mile) on a 3-mile run, but now I can run 3 miles in less than 27 minutes (9-minute mile).

I have always strived for goals, such as: I want to run 5 miles in less than 45 minutes (9-minute miles) or 'this is my speed run this week and I want to complete my 4-mile run in 34 minutes (8:30 minute mile)

Go at your own pace and push yourself to what you are comfortable with.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #3  
**Nadine Marie**

i remember in high school and middle school they always told us averages, and if we didnt do our mile in that time we had to do it over again. and i cant find those averages anywhere, maybe they made them up lol
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Try this calculator:
http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm
It allows you to see an equivalent time for someone of a different gender and/or age, as well as give you a percent that compares your time to the best time for your age/gender. The higher the number the better your result relative to other people like you.

Or this one will take your mile (or other race time) and give you an estimated vo2 max. If you go to the explanation, there is a chart which tells you how your number compares to other people your age and gender.
http://www.runningforfitness.org/cal...bmit=Calculate

Last edited by Only Me; 08-28-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #5  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Thanks Only Me - your stuff is a little more technical than mine

LOL - when i was in high school playing volleyball, our holy grail was the elusive 8-minute mile (of course, that was just one mile)
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I'm willing to bet that most people who are out of school can't run a mile. Wasn't so very long ago, I couldn't even walk one.

The Presidential Fitness Challenge has some data for school aged girls and boys. Girls aged 17+ have a median mile time of 10m22s, and 85%ile of 8m15s. Link with full data is here:

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/e...standards.aspx

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #7  
**Nadine Marie**

thanks for the help!!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #8