Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default I don't want to over eat!

My husband is taking me to our local steakhouse to celebrate our anniversary. I had initially planned on cutting my entree in half or thirds and eating only a portion, but then I put in what I planned on eating at fitday and WOW!!! The Calories even for the portion of what I planned on eating is almost 1000 calories. (that is just by going what I could find on fitday). My husband also told me that if I order just a salad he would be hurt because it is our anniversary and time to celebrate. It will be our first time alone in two months. I have been doing very well on my diet and I haven't cheated once. I also don't want to starve all day just so I can enjoy one meal Well, I guess I have the rest of my life to stick with my new diet and if I don't expect to have days that I will overeat I will feel horribly guilty when I do. I guess I can counteract my extra calories with exercise......I just had to get it off my chest. My husband is usually very supportive, but this he won't budge on.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel. I feel bad when my boyfriend saves up to take me out to eat and I order something small and tiny. (ie a salad and water) I figure that our bodies won't let us over eat if we listen to them.

I started eating slow. I mean really. I think about what is in my mouth and chewing and all. I can get full off half of what I would have eaten if I eat at my normal pace.

I just pack up what is left for a doggie bag later. (because most date nights end in movie night and stying up till the wee hours watching black and white movies) And I tell my boyfriend that it's just because my stomach has shrunk a bit from not overeating ( this is true).. so he dosn't feel so bad.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Yep, its definitely true that eating healthy is a way of life and there are going to be times when you eat a little more than you otherwise should.

Enjoy your night out - eat slowly, savour the steak and rememeber you don't need to eat everything in front of you. Just have it packed for later if you want too.

I was taken out to dinner by my aunt and uncle the other night to an Italian place. Gorgeous food, truly lovely - they had cabonara and lasagne, I had (roughly translated) rabbit stew with grilled polenta and veges. It was delicious but I didn't finish it - not even close and I dont feel guilty about either ordering it, eating it or leaving it!

Compensate the next couple days by eating lighter if you wish and yes, up the exercise as well if you want too but remember that life is meant to be enjoyed and the odd indulgence wont destroy all your effort.

Good luck and enjoy your anniversary!

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

thanks ladies, I think I will enjoy my night out without the kids!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #5  

I won't lie. I likely would at least eat a third to half if the plate was obviously too big, if it was a regular serving I would eat just enough till I was satified but not beyond that. Of course, we are talking about a very special day and we still gotta have some control. I agree u could just put some in a doggie bag but since he ain't a BF he knows what the heck u are going to do with it, most likely.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I don't think dieting means you need to completely stop enjoying food. I agree with your husband--It's your anniversary and it's an important occasion to celebrate. Ask the server to bring a to-go box at the same time he brings the entree, and load up the box before you even start eating. Then enjoy a happy, guilt-free night with your husband who seems like a very loving, supportive guy
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #7  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Having a treat meal every now and again is ok, as long as you don't "treat" yourself every day .
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

I am going to cut the entree in1/2. My husband agreed to that so I wont feel bad that I am hurting his feelings....HMMMM not I just have to talk him out of the Popcorn! I think my whole family is going to take a very long walk today, this AM maybe to the Y to swim for a few hours. . . YEAH!!!

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #9  
mostly harmless

My husband and I ate lunch today at a steak house. I ordered steamed veggies with the steak, drank water, and didn't feel guilty at all. I'd been needing a high protein meal, and this did nicely. I'll have to make up for it with something fairly low cal (maybe homemade chili) this evening to keep within my calorie budget-- but that's OK.

I used to be scared of eating out when I was just starting this weight loss effort, but now I don't mind. As long as I am mindful about what I eat, it works out.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

I didn't do to bad. When I logged in my calories I was within range. A worked out, and went for a long walk, pushing my son in his stroller. I also I ate my salad and veggies first, then I attacked my steak saving the potatoes for last. I was very suprised when I logged in my meal to see my calories overal weren't too bad. I also had a very light lunch because I knew I would be taking in the cals. We debated on desert but the place was so busy we thought we would give up our table.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I dunno...I know he wants you to enjoy yourself and celebrate, but maybe he needs to understand that celebration does not have to mean food. I would think spending a night out with your husband without the kids would be celebration enough without having to eat anything in particular. The focus should be on the two of you being together and having quality time, not on what you're eating.

Anyway, glad to hear you made good choices
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Way to go Jcatron. I was eager to see how your dinner turned out. Very smart of you to eat the healthy stuff first. Great idea. You gotta "splurge" once in a while, so you dont get resentful of the "diet" and feel deprived. Its a lifestyle and over the long haul a little sneak here and there is not the end of the world. Hope you all had a good night.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations, Jcatron, for getting through that situation! Good for you!

Sooner or later, we all have to figure out how to eat in restaurants. It can be done and done in a healthy way that doesn't blow the whole thing--and I don't mean, just order salad and water. Most restaurants I go to have choices that I can use to work around my plan--those that don't, I just don't go back to! Doggie bags for later are a good thing, but also I just don't take home any food I shouldn't be eating a lot of--like the pasta that I can't possibly finish. I know we're "never" supposed to "waste" food, but if it's "waste" versus "my waist," I make that choice.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote