Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Running and Calf/Shin Aches

I stretch before running. When I first start running the fronts of my calves (I suppose that would be the shin area) aches. After I warm up, they are fine. After I get more tired, they ache again. What do you suppose the deal is? They do not hurt at any other time. What are the proper stretches to do for this front calf/shin area...maybe I am not doing them right or not enough. Thanks for your input.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #2  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

It's called shin splints. Mine were doing the same thing and I talked to my trainer and orthopedist about it. They said that the only thing I can do is stretch ALOT. I started spending about 15 min just stretching. I encorporated some yoga moves into the stretching and that seemed to help. If you type in shin splints into a search engine it can give you a whole bunch of different stretches to do. If after a week of stretching a little extra it is still bothering you I would suggest seeing your doc because there may be an underlying problem causing the pain.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Here's something that might give you some more information:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #4  

you have to try and build up the mucles that support your shins, ankles and calves.
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote