PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #1  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Default Canīt lose weight??

Hi everybody!

I have been semi- diagnosed with PCO about a year ago. I had to take a birth control pill and was set on different test in a hospital. The test result were to high insulin level, in someways. Somehow. The doc had no time to explain or even tell the results properly. It was just "lose weight and then you can come back". I went back to my Gyn, he received no results from the hospital but he was all about weight loss as well.
I was so ***** that I gained weight! (I am suffering from Binge Eating Disorder and that was a trigger).

I started a new, healthy lifestyle in April. Reasonable amount of food, balanced carb and proteine intake, cut down sugar and white flour, eat small meals but quite often.
And I started exercising (between 3- 5 x a week).
I lost weight in the first time (the extra- frustration- pounds are gone), but I havenīt lost a single pound in the last month. Or in the last six weeks. Nothing happens. Not loosing weight, not loosing inches. NOTHING.
I am quite frustrated.......

So my first plan was not see my Gyn until I lost a seriuos amount of weight....but now I am asking myself if I probably couldnīt lose weight because of the PCO- syndrom....

Anyone else expierenced such a situation????
Any help, suggestion or comment is highly appreciated

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #2  

Kate I have been eating well (high protein/low Gi/controlled carbs&calories and was loosing weight, albeit slowly for several months then stopped loosing despite increasing my excercise up dramatically (2 hrs per day, walking, running, strength training, kickboxing) to try and bust the plateau.

I have just started metformin to hopefully help (along with my diet and exercise). IR and PCOS can definitely make loosing weight difficult, have a look at some of the threads here about IR and using Met and maybe go back to your Dr with the information.
move2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I am on Byetta and it is a God send. It is nice to have the appetite of a "normal" person. Without it, i am starving all the time. Plus it REALLY helps with the weight loss.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #4  
On my way...

Thanks for the answers!

I was at my Gyn yesterday. The PCO diagnosis is confirmed now and my Gyn said that he would be very sure that I am insulin resistant as well. And maybe a little problem with my Thyriod....So I have another doc- date tomorrow where I hopefully will be send to an expert to get a few test done.

I have heard a lot about Metformin....But my Gyn said that he wouldnīt prescribe it because he is not the right doctor for that. And the insurance just pays for Metformin if you are already Diabetic....

So I have to wait what the other doctors are going to find out.....

Kate
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 403/366/200

Height: 6'0 FEET

i too am going through the same thing unable to lose weight, i tried the south beach diet and i gained weight. i been exercising 3-4 times a week and cut out sweets and fried foods and breads except whole grain wheat and pasta. i eat more fruits and veggies but instead of losing i am steady gaining.
STACEY99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 403/366/200

Height: 6'0 FEET

why would your gyn say that my gp said he couldn't prescribe it so he sent me to a gyn and they had no problem giving it to me, considering i have pcos i guess every doctor is different but my gyn sees a lot of women with pcos, so he started me out with 1000mgs until i go see him next month then he may up the dose, hope everything goes ok for you
STACEY99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #7  

Kate - any physician that is licensed can prescribe metformin, but maybe he feels that this is not his area of expertise? Also - did the insurance company say why they wouldn't cover it for any dx other than diabetes?
cu32489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #8  
On my way...

Here I go again.....

The last weeks were..... I had a test taken and the Doc said that it would be IMPOSSIBLE that I would have a problem with insulin resitance. I should eat less cal- or accept being overweight. After a while I figured out that he did the WRONG TEST. And forgot to test my insulin at all.
So I was at a diabetic expert this morning. The Doc there was very nice, she knew a lot about PCO. So, it turned out that I am insulin resistant and I got Metformin.

My Gyn didnīt wanted to prescribe Metformin because he didnīt want to mess up something, so he wanted that I am diagnosed by a Doc specialized for Diabetis first. Or something like that.....

Ok, now I am here with my Metformin.....I am really wondering because I have to take a very small dosage at the beginning. 250mg the first week, if my stomach is ok 500mg the next three weeks. Then I have to see my Doc again.
But I really hope it turns out the way it should be....

Kate
Old 09-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #9  

I'm glad you found someone with good knowledge of PCOS! Good luck with the Metformin. I've been on it a few years and I didn't really have any problems with it in the beginning. I just made sure to take it with food and tried eating a lighter diet for awhile until I adjusted to it.
Mikkie is offline   Reply With Quote