Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/138/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Milk ~ SOY VS. SKIM

hey guys, just have a quick question.
what is better diet wise, soy milk or skim milk? my kids drink vanilla soy instead of regular chocolate milk. i only use skim, but was wondering if soy would be better on my diet. any ideas or advice???
thanks!
gabrielbeth
gabrielbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #2  
<333

S/C/G: 283/251/180

Height: 5' 4

Hello! I really love milk, and I always use skim. Personally, I think its more filling in a way, if that makes sense.

I have a lactose intolerent friend, and they bring soy milk to school EVERYDAY! One day, she offered me a sip. I tried it. It was Okay, but I didnt care for it.

(Im kinda picky anyway, So It might just be me.)

<33
Stephanieee<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I think it depends on the soy and depends on the cow's milk (different soy milks are enriched differently and cow's have different living/breeding conditions).

Soy probably has many more nutrients per serving than cow's, although it is probably enriched so they're not all naturally occuring. On the other hand, if you buy your milk at a grocery store the cows it came from probably produce milk on a mass-basis, which means they may be mistreated, fed goodness knows what, maybe given hormones to help speed the process? I read something once about consuming animal products - that animals who live on farms for the production of eggs, milk, meat, etc. tend to be very stressed out (understandably, given their conditions) and that stress remains in their bodies, and becomes part of what we consume. I guess you could also look at it in terms of their energy and us consuming it, depending on what your spiritual beliefs are. I can't really explain this at the moment because I have to run, but I hope that makes sense or at least somehow answers your question

There's also almond, rice, and goat milk that I know of... I'm not sure how they compare nutritionally. Great question though, I'm interested to hear in what people have to say.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I drink skim and/or light soy milk thats generally enriched with added vitamins and minerals

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #5  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

I have fewer sinus problems and ear infections when I drink soy.

It also comes in other flavors than vanilla: chocolate, carob, latte, etc.

the fermented soy does nice things for your skin, too. I get the Silk Live! smoothies -- they're full of pretty good stuff (they use some sugar instead of that artificial stuff) and my digestion stays happy and my stretch marks are shrinking up, too.

Mass-produced milk - hm. I only use it for cooking and then I tend to buy Horizon simply because it tastes better.

Goat milk is pretty good and they also make "milks" from oats (can't get my mind around that one), rice -- several other things.

Just my .02 worth.
waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #6  

I drink Westsoy original because is doesn't have calcium and I have high blood calcium so must stay away from it. It has 9gm protein and 4 gm fiber which really helps because I have a tendency to get constipated. I used to drink lots of milk and the soy helps to take its place.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #7  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

I was just reading on the "whole foods" thread that there is some bad press out there about soy, thought you guys might want to check that out.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...68#post1381468
skim milk is blue ewww!

Last edited by mel67; 08-23-2006 at 02:20 PM.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #8  
Viva la vida loca!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67 View Post
skim milk is blue ewww!
My mom grew up on a farm in Tennessee and she said they called the skim milk "Blue John."

I have no idea why, and she didn't seem to know, either. Just a funny bit of trivia...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #9  
Viva la vida loca!

Mel, your crochet work is lovely. The tension is so even!

The flag and the blue shrug are my faves...

Claire