Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/234/195

Height: 5'6"

Default Managing Pain

My lower back and right knee are causing me significant pain. Apparently, they "play off of one another". I was diagnosed with arthritus and the x-rays show I have little cartiledge left. I've had several "sucrotes" treatments, a realitively new injection, with no progress. Yesterday the doctor gave me another cortizone shot and ordered PT. So, I'm feeling pretty upset. I'm 37 feeling like I'm 77. I feel like I did this to myself too and that's what really stinks. My doctor is really in support of my weight loss, so is my general doctor and my acupuncturist. I haven't been able to get pregnant after 2 years of trying. I feel really sad that I've caused so much damage to my body. I've been carrying around so much excess weight my body is protesting. Thanks for letting me share here.
Laura Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My husband and I are in the same boat (Though I think we've gone further down that river).

I just turned 40 this year and feel 80. About 18 months ago, I weighed 394 lbs. I've had to go on disability because of the combined effects of my health problems - fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, arthritis, high blood pressure, insulin resistance/pre-diabetis, high cholesterol, chronic sinusitis/bronchitis, allergies, and possibly asthma.

Since losing only about 45 lbs, already the sleep apnea is gone, and I have more stamina, but I have a long way to go.

My husband weighs about 15 lbs more than I do (though he's 6'2 or 6'3"). He's had knee problems and his furst knee surgery when he was 15, and now is having spinal disk problems. While the joint and spine degeneration is actually an inherited condition, and not caused by his weight, the weight has hastened the damage. He has always been very strong and has worked in very physical jobs, but finally the pain has gotten too much, and now he can't do much because of the pain, so he's having a hard time even maintaining his weight, let alone losing.

We're struggling to lose the weight, and eat healthier, and it's hard not to become discouraged. You've got to look at each small step and how far you've come rather than how far you still have to go.

You're not alone, and you can do it. Don't beat yourself over the past. It's done and over with and doesn't exist anymore. You only have control over today. It seems trivial, but it really helps looking at it this way.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Do you stretch on a regular basis? I found that stretching really helps. Also, for knee pain, try ice and ibuprofen. For exercise, you might want to try deep water aerobics, which puts no stress on the joints at all. Shallow water aerobics has some impact, but it's not too bad either. Also, are you weight training at all? I found that strengthening the muscles around my knee has taken a lot of pressure off the knee joint. Physical therapy should help, too.

Good luck! Losing even 10% of your weight will make a big difference. Just be sure not to comfort yourself with food, okay?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Laura: I'm so sorry about all your pain. It's real hard to concentrate on dieting when you mind is also coping with pain. I have alot of knee problems too and I'm hoping the weight loss will help eventually. I did get some relief on my back. Shelia hit the nail on the head. Stretching really helps. My doctor had me lay across the bed on my stomach. I skoot off the bed leaving my stomach and legs on the bed with my head down and hands dragging on the floor. My doctor said that my excess weight was causing my disks to rub together and I needed to stretch them apart. See if this removes the pain or pressure. Until your stomach and back muscles can be built back up again, this can be temporary relief. Let me know if it works for you. You could also do this hanging from the monkey bars, but I wouldn't recommend it.LOL
Norma
harkeyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/234/195

Colleen, Sheila and Norma,
Thanks so much for your responses. All great suggestions that I will try. Yesterday I just felt so sad and so far away from any sort of goal. Today I'm feeling more hopeful and I'm ready to go out walking with my dog. I don't strech and I think that will be very helpful. Also, my gym does have a large pool that I can use. I think my biggest challenge is staying in the moment, not beating myself up. I didn't put all this weight on because I consciously wanted to harm myself. I'm fighting genetics and old behaviors. Have a great day everyone.
Laura Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 AM   #6  
One pound at a time...

Laura, I hear/feel your pain. Almost a year and a half ago, I was 50 lbs heavier and HATED to get up in the morning as I had knee and foot pain. My body was rebelling at the weight. The weight has slowly come off, and it has been recently that I noticed that the pain is completely gone. It will happen for you as well, you just have to take it a day at a time and do what excercise makes you feel comfortable.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #7  

I too feel your pain. What are sucrotes injections? I couldn't find it on the net (I work for a back pain team in a health insurance office)

On the back of what the others have said, can you afford a personal trainer, even for just one or two sessions? There are so many things you can do, like core stability training, that can help with back pain.

I was 262lbs when I started, and I'm now 196 or so, and I feel like a new woman! It's taken 18 months to get this far, but I'm so pleased with my progress and the difference losing weight has made to me.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #8  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree View Post

I too feel your pain. What are sucrotes injections? I couldn't find it on the net (I work for a back pain team in a health insurance office)
I'm thinking it's Supartz? That's what I got injected into both my knees and it didn't do a darn thing for me either.

When I found out how bad my knees are, I beat myself up for doing it to myself too. But ... then I reminded myself that I did lose the weight - even if I can't undo the damage - and I'm doing everything that I can NOW to be healthy and fit. When I get my knees replaced, I know I'll recover faster due to weighing less and having ridiculously strong leg muscles (yay squats and lunges!! )

Today is all we have. Yesterday is gone and no one knows what tomorrow will bring. We each have the power to make today the best day possible. All we need to focus on is one day - today.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote