Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #1  
I'm a loser!

S/C/G: 260/240/160

Height: 5'6

Question How much is good?

How many times a week are you supposed to work out in order to lose weight? I start school this fall, and I have a Cardio Gym membership, but theres also many "extra/group" classes that are offered, and I'd like to try those too. Currently, there is a "Hip Hop" class, that is a dance class, but also exercise class that is offered Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and there is also an Aqua Fit class that is offered Tuesday evenings, and I'd LOVE to try both of them, but I don't know what would be best and how often you should work out. I'm new to the whole exercise thing, the most exercise I've ever done is 2 laps around the gym in school haha, so I'm really new. I'm going to keep reading on here and reading up on exercising and how much you should do it, but I kinda want to know how I should work it with those programs?...The 2 Hip Hop classes are different because each instructor has a different "dance" routine, so it's a different dance, so what would be best and how often should I work out at the gym on the other days? Is it too much to do the Aqua Fit class on Tuesdays and then go to the Hip Hop class after that? (Oh yeah each class is 1 hour long, so it would be a total of 2 hours of exercise with the aqua fit and hip hop class) Thanks guys.
Pinkwhispers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

The simple answer is 'more than before'.
If you're very new to extra activity, you might want to start off just going past what's comfortable and moving on from there every week or so.
It can be very discouraging to wear yourself out the first couple of times you go. So try to take 'baby steps'.
Let's see what the others say.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 7''

Hi - I find I only stick with an exercise routine that I like.....so my advice is to try all the classes and stick with the ones you like best!
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

If you are very new to exercise then 2 hours in one day could be a bit much to start with, but you can always go along and see what you think. Finn is right, find what you enjoy and stick with that, and if you find it too difficult to start with there is no shame in taking a break during the class. I've done it myself in the past, and no-one seemed to look down on me.

Try to increase your general fitness in the next few weeks before you start by walking or dancing to music etc and you will find that you enjoy it even more.

Another thing, from what I've heard, if you are doing 2 hours of cardio exercise with little or no break in between you will find that your body starts to burn muscle to get energy, so try to take some light snacks or energy drink to eat/drink between classes so that your body has the energy it needs to keep going. If this is wrong I'm sure others will correct me.

Good luck on your new exercise regime - I hope you enjoy it!
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote