Support Groups - Being Accountable: Weekly Challenge 5.

Marti
08-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Weekly Challenge: #5

Are we ready for this week's challenge???:carrot:

Challenge starts each Monday and ends on Sunday. And ANYONE is welcome to join!!:D

Each week you choose something that you really have a hard time doing, and you do it for the week. Say for instance, you really want to cut down on sugar:cookie: and you know you can do that for at least a few days a week. You can choose how many days such as 3 or 4, up to all 7 ....(but no less than 3 please) and then commit yourself to it.

AND....it doesn't have to be all in a row either! You may decide to not eat sugar for 4 days. So on Monday you have no sugar, but on Tuesday you can have some, on Wednesday none, then Thurdsday...(you get the idea) As long as you complete the amount of days you committed yourself to.

You may choose limiting calories, getting in more exercise:wl: , drinking more water :coffee:, eating less processed foods:jeno: , taking a vitamin, journaling:write: , counting carbs... whatever your need is - go for it! The choices are limitless!

So what do you think? Think we can commit to doing this? Let's give it a try! :yes:

suetalks
08-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Another week down and I did okay all week. I walked again last night, 2 miles, so my walking was good for the week...and that wasn't even my challenge. I know I will walk at least 3-4 days and drink my water every day, those aren't hard. Food is what I am trying to control and I will continue with calorie counting and writing it down. But then I need to exercise more, so I will challenge myself to do either WATP or ride my bike at least 3 days this week.
Come join in and tell us your challenge for yourself.

mkat321
08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Jumping in with both feet as it were. :)

One thing I hate to do that I can commit to doing for a week? Breakfast. I don't normally get up for the day til 11 a.m. {I get up to get my oldest ready and off to school at seven but when I/Dh get back from dropping her off I usually go back to bed} so I don't even think about breakfast, let alone consume it. Except on weekends, when DH makes pancakes and eggs for everyone. So for this week I'm going to commit to eating breakfast every day.

Jane
08-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Sue - you did very well last week, and I have no doubt you'll do well this week, too.

mcat - welcome to a fellow Hoosier. :) So glad you're in the challenge with us, and I want to invite you to the Weight Loss and Chit Chat thread, too. Once you get used to breakfast, you might wonder how you ever did w/o it.

My challenge for the week will be food. Staying OP for all 7 days. I'm restarting WW, since I think I did better with that than just calorie counting. I lost 1/2 pound last week, but overate somewhat on both Thurday and Friday, so I'm just glad I lost anything. One good thing about WW is that I can bank some points for when I need them most.

Who else is with us this week??

FrouFrou
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm back and ready for a new challenge since I didn't do it last week. Mine this week will be exercise again. I skipped it last week. Got in a few walks but not enough to really say I did it. So...3 days at It Figures and 2 walking days is my challenge for the week. And I am off to a good start with getting It Figures in today...felt good.

Jane
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Yay, Cristina, glad to see you here. :cp: Now go drag Julie in here too, lol.

Well, ladies, guess what? Neal came home with a treadmill today. :carrot: All that yammering paid off, lol. It's an Image 19.0 and has lots of bells and whistles on it that I'll probably never use, but I love it! He set it up in the bedroom, and it looks tacky, but oh well! I haven't got on it yet, but will in a little while.

ifonly
08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
No vending machine junk all week. I'm going to stick to the healthy snacks, especially since I have some stowed in my desk already.

suetalks
08-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Day1- I got extra exercise by walking twice for 4+ miles total. Then I also did 2 ten minute sets of WATP moves.
For some reason today I couldn't get enough to eat. It was a real challenge to find things to nibble on that I could have. I am going to go back to eating often/small meals. That seemed to keep me satisfied and I lost more weight that week. (Of course, I realize when you start a program you lose more right at first) I will see how this week goes and go from there.

Good luck on your challenges ladies. I know you all can do it!

Marti
08-22-2006, 01:32 AM
My challenge for today is JOURNAL everything!! How much I eat, what exercise I do, and how I feel about what I'm doing at the end of the day.

Give myself some kind of reflection on what my feelings are.

Now, I'm not an everyday journal writer...but I'll try. But I'm going to make this a 5 dayer challenge.:)

Sue-- Walking feels good when doing it. I've been wanting to walk bright and early in the morning but I just been doing my WATP and Gazelle. I would Love to just grab my MP3 and get some fresh air. Maybe sometime this week??

Mkat--Breakfast is a GREAT challenge. I did that for a 21day challenge way back when and I couldn't do it!! But now...it's getting easier. I figure the more I eat in the morning, the less I eat at night!

Jane--I'm SO JEALOUS!! I want a treadmill. But I don't think James thinks we'll use it much. I think I'd use it more than the gazelle. Plus, we don't have a lot of room. So I guess I just stay green w/envy here!

Cristina--Glad to see you back! Great idea for the challenge. Exercise is something I'm lacking. REALLY need to get on the ball......hmmm....maybe I should grab my exercise ball!! :D

Ifonly--Another challenge I've done! That's a hard one too! I have finally stopped bringing in any kind of money to work. No use wasting it on candy or chips!

I think we're going to do a great job this week gals!! Good luck and hugs to all!!:hug:

ifonly
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Marti - It gets worse... we've got free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, popcorn and marshmallows. Yes, marshmallows. Big fluffy marshmallows. And, I swear my company is trying to fatten us up. On the first day, the manager said "you will gain weight here" and then took me into breakroom where they had a spread for some upcoming meeting. There's free lunch on Fridays, usually mex, chinese, jason's deli, cuban, etc. Last Friday I had a plate of chips with fattening nacho cheese sauce. Plus, there's the monthly birthday celebration with the big cake and ice cream cups. And, the donuts, omg the DONUTS. I'm so sick of the smell and appearance of donuts around the office.
Some of the vending machine choices are better than simply walking into the breakroom, I swear. I can get a bagel w/cr cheese, peanuts, crackers, bottled water. But, then we have a little cafe and convenience store in the neighboring office building. A little walk across the driveway, I can get fresh fruit, salads, just ok cereal, etc. The cafe hot plates are horrible choices, though. Lasagna, chicken fingers (that's everyone loves), cheesy burgers, etc.

Jane
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Wow, we're doing great, ladies! :carrot:

Marti - do you mean you're going to journal your food, or feeling? Either way, it's all good. Come on over, and I'll share my treadmill w/you. :)

Ifonly - yikes, your workplace is a landmine! It's good that you have salads, etc. so close across the driveway. Maybe you should be the one to ask for healthy foods at the job and promote health in general. Would they kick you out, lol?

Sue - just a thought, but make sure you're getting enough protein throughout the day. I have to have some at every meal, and save my cereal for before bed.

Cristi - how're you doing so far?

I stayed OP with the food, and got on the treadmill, too. I love that thing! Most of the news ones have a built in fan, and that's one feature that I like a lot. Plus, this one is much quieter than my old one.

suetalks
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
OMG ifonly..no wonder it is hard to stay on program. I would gain weight just looking at all they bring on Fridays. I hope you will make the walk to where the healthy food is...plus you are getting extra steps walking there.

Got up and walked 2+ miles this morning and am feeling great. DH wants mac and cheese for dinner so I have to decide on something safe for me. His plan to do this with me has fallen to the wayside you see. But I am finding it easier to cook what he wants and still do my thing.

BBL...

Marti
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Ifonly--Wow....do we work at the same place?? :lol:Ok...so we don't have marshmallows. But our company supplies food for every darn occasion I swear. And I know that I've gained weight while working there!:D Good luck to you!

Jane--Both. I want to journal my food/menu, my workout, and how I feel about how I did that day. Did this before. And it's always interesting to read it later on in life.
Just tell Neal that I want a treadmill too!:)

Sue--My alarm went off and I hit the snooze....then I just got up thinking " I NEED to do some form of exercise before work" Would like to walk but I think I'm going to gazelle it this morning.

Ok....I'll bbl to report my day.

FrouFrou
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
MARTI...you sounded like me this morning. I set the alarm for 7 to be out of here by 7:30 to go for my walk and I rolled over, turned it off and rolled back over. I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I finally did though. Good for you for journalling. It really does help. I journal only once in a while but I printed off the monthly calendars on AOL and I write down my exercise, how much water I drink and whether or not I took my vitamins, and my WI on Monday. It really helps to see what I am doing.

JANE...what a nice surprise form Neal! :carrot: And WTG on getting a walk in! I'm not a big fan of the treadmill because I so enjoy being outside more. But it does come in handy when the weather is too bad to get out, or I am too lazy to get dresses and get out. I can do it in my pj's, lol. But I am jealous...I didn't get one with a fan...have a floor fan sitting in front of me when I get on it. If I get too hot on that I tend to stop...that's another reason I go to the park, lol.

IFOnly...geez louise...I too would have a hard time at work with all that food! With so many companies and people being health conscious I am surprised. I agree with Jane, maybe you should bring up the health factor. Good challenge though...and you CAN do it!

SUE...good for you and all the exercise/walking! :carrot: You are doing great!

Okay, so yesterday got in my It Figures and a mile walk to boot. And today I dragged my sorry butt out of bed and went to the park for a 2.5 mile walk. It was still actually pretty cool when I left at 9 which was good. So, so far, so good. I almost went to It Figures too and thought that is pushing it. I get in moods where I can't get enough exercise and then moods where I don't want to do any...seems there's never a middle for me. Got to try and stick with what I'm doing and not going overboard. Not sure if too much is ever too much though.

Keep up the good work ladies!

ifonly
08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Jane - It was quite a feat to get bottled water in this place, but I finally did. I can't get them to stock fruit, but I tried. They said it isn't eaten fast enough. They tossed the ice cream machine. Usually they have bagels, peanuts, and some basic crackers though. They also have some light chips and such, but I don't really eat diet-y stuff.

Sue - Not much of a walk, it's just across the parking lot driveway. :) But I suppose every little bit is a good bit. We were out of breakfast this morning, so I walked across and grabbed a bagel, banana, some juice, and a big salad for lunch.

Marti - Yes, I think I've put on about 25 lbs in 2 years here.

To really illustrate my point, my cube-neighbor brought these football shaped donuts into work today to celebrate our recent work: http://www.krispykreme.com/
And, it's 2:30 in the afternoon, I haven't had any, and they're still over there. All day long, the team's been talking about them. Argh. I can smell and practically taste them. Super-Argh.

FrouFrou
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Oh my gosh, IfOnly...those are the cutest donuts! And, Krispy Kreme would be my downfall! I am so glad that the one we have is not close to where I live and when I am close to that part of town I will sometimes go but I only get one or two...I never buy a dozen because I am afraid i would eat at least half of them! That is no lie. I did it once and felt so sick afterward. I don't know what it is about those donuts...sending you some :dust: so you stay away.

ifonly
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
He's lying to me now, because I won't stop ragging on him. Keeps telling me they're gone. I know they're not. I can still smell them, Ha.

harkeyvalley
08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Hello All: Sorry I missed you guys yesterday. My house needed a thorough cleaning after watching 3 grandkids all summer. You can't imagine where I found things stuffed!
Jane: Tell me how the new treadmill goes. I checked with Consumer Reports and only the high dollar ones are worth the money due to break downs (according to them). I live on a Walmart budget.
Marti: I've never journaled. Where do you start? Do you keep it on paper or online? Suggestions please.
Cristina: Have you gotten to email your son yet? Where's he at?
My son was in Jalahabad.
mkat: I'm with you on the breakfast. I'm not an early riser since I'm such a nite owl. I have to learn how to start eating breakfast regularly.
Sue: You are such a motivator. Great job on all the walking.
ifonly: You sure do have a great challenge with food at work. I wish you well. Vending machines are evil!
I'm a failure at these challenges. I've a challenge on another thread of drinking more water and I'm doing pretty good on that though. I thought that journal idea of Marti was a good one. I will try journaling this week. I hate having my picture taken but I should include one in my journal so when I get this weight off I'll have proof of my victory.
Norma

mkat321
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I love krispy kreme. It's such a trigger for me that I was thankful when they closed the one closest to me... and that one was an hour away. There's only one other actual KK in our general area, and it's two hours away, with traffic almost three. And since I only buy them when the 'hot fresh' light is on, and won't buy them at the grocery store or other outside supplier, I haven't had one in almost two years!

As for me, I'm doing alright. Having major AF related chocolate and meat cravings. So I had a kit kat mini and am making a sausage pizza for dinner. And I actually ate something for 'breakfast' Not much, but it was a start..

suetalks
08-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Another day down and the challenge is going good. I walked this morning and this evening both! Food was not a problem as we had a meatless dinner. I tasted the mac and cheese, but actually ate a (big) salad, brocolli and a piece of bread. I had meat for lunch. We are fasting now due to going for blood tests and our yearly physicals in the morning. Of course, when you HAVE to fast you feel like you are going to starve to death....why is it worse than normal? :)

Good luck and great job to all!

Marti
08-23-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm doing good this week so far. Right now I'm feeling full.....we had a late dinner and finished about an hour ago!! That's too late. We'll have to figure something better next time.

Cristi--Fantastic on getting out of bed and out for a walk!! I'm the same way....either really into working out or not. No happy medium for me either!

Ifonly--Tomorrow we're having a potluck at work to celebrate anniversaries and birthdays. It's about time they start combining them instead of having seperate occassions!! Those donuts look yummy!!

Norma--I just bought a cheap spiral notebook and started journaling in that. What ever works. Just jot it down. It's always nice to look back a year from the time you started and see how far you come.....or in my case...how far I've let myself go.

Sue--James & I have meatless meals every now and then. We really try to cut down on how much meat we eat. No particular reason, just have been.

I got on my gazelle this morning and was 10mins in when I realized that I had said I would come into work an hour early to keep up w/things. Boy did I hop of that and booked it to get ready!! I burned calories just from the stress!

Ok....off I go.

FrouFrou
08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Day 3 done!

I went and did my work out at It Figures. Didn't get a walk in like I wanted but that is always a bonus for me on the IF days. And who knows, there is still time.

NORMA...haven't heard from son yet and have no clue if he is still in Kuwait or in Iraq now. Glad you are doing a water challenge...for the longest time I had a hard time with the water because I just don't like it. But I get my four bottles in most days. There have been some days I only get 2 but most days I get 4-6. I aim for 4 so...good luck with the challenge.

MARTI...hope you made it to work in time. At least you got a little bit of exercise.

SUE...we have meatless meals also. DH will eat whatever I fix but the kids are picky. But, there's a lot of days no one is home, or it is just me and DD or me and DH and that is when I will eat a bowl of cereal, oatmeal or have a sandwich of some sort. You are doing great with your walking and eating, keep up the good work.

MKAT...WTG on having breakfast! :carrot: You know they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. ;) I try to remember that but there are days I skip it.

Ifonly...hope today is a better day at work foodwise.

Keep up the good work ladies!

ifonly
08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Cristina - It was much better. No yummy munchies around and I stayed away from breakroom. I had a salad, banana, and pack of oatmeal today. Not too bad, but I'm hungry right now and I've run out of snacks in my desk drawer. Luckily, it's time for me to go home... :)

Jane
08-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Way to go, ladies! :cp:

I'm still OP and feeling good about that. :yes: I didn't get on the treadmill today, though, because I was at Walmart twice and walked the whole store both times. Long story...

I'm headed to the chit chat thread. See you there. :)

suetalks
08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
I took a day off...no exercise except normal day to day...and I cleaned the whole house AGAIN. I just needed to re-charge my batteries and my will power.
Tomorrow is business as usual.

harkeyvalley
08-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I guys. I'm doing good on the water, I made me a homemade journal and filled up my first page. (Thanks Marti). I found 3 Richard Simmons tapes of "Sweating to the Oldies" I'm going to give them a shot tomorrow. Have a great evening.

FrouFrou
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
IFONLY...WTG on eating healthy! :carrot:

JANE...good for you for being OP!

SUE...it's good to take a day off, so I hope you enjoyed it.

NORMA...I LOVE Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies! I had the orginal and the disco one and they were always fun to work out to. Of course I have no clue what happened to them. The kids also enjoyed doing them and I am suspecting one of them has them in their room. Which is fine since I am walking and going to IF. Good for you for journalling too!

Today is my free day. Although, I had planned on going for a walk. I forgot that I changed my grocery day to Thursday specifically so this would be a free day and I would have a day in between going to IF. But I do plan on mowing the back yard later this evening so that's something for today even though it is a free day. It's hot again so I am back to doing the front one day and the back the next. Too much work for me to do in one day even though I have done it.

Keep up the good work ladies!:carrot:

Jane
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Good job, ladies!

My Body, Mind and Spirit meeting was today, and some of us went to Applebee's afterward. I had the Weight Watchers tortilla stuff, and some fruit on the side. Yum!

I'm going to get on the treadmill before my shower afterwhile. :tread:

Keep on keepin' on!

suetalks
08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I walked and got back in the groove... So onward and upward! No, I mean downward!!!

ifonly
08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Still doing good. Managed to avoid all the junk this week. Yay me :) It sounds like everyone's doing really good with their challenges. Good, good, good. Positive news for once!

I'd love to be able to walk long distances for exercise, but I can't imagine it with my heel spurs. A trip to the grocery store gives me grief for 2 days after. And, of course, that's why I don't go to grocery store often! Man, I miss homegrocer, so badly. But, everything I read says that even a bit of weightloss helps with the spurs and PF problems.
Anyway, so I really drool over folks exercise accomplishments and wish I could get out there. But, hopefully soon I'll have an exercise bike that's less impact. And of course there's always Yoga! :)

Jane
08-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Good news: I got the treadmill done! :yes:

Bad news: I went over my points by 5 tonight. :( I had an egg and toast and 1/2 c OJ that wasn't on my plan.

Good news: I can take those off the weekly flex points available. :cp:

All in all, I think each of us is doing pretty darn well, don't you?

suetalks
08-25-2006, 10:44 AM
ifonly- I also have been having heel problems. Funny thing is if I wear my good walking shoes the heel doesn't hurt. It does however pain me when I am going barefoot afterwards. The dr. gave me anti-inflamatory meds for an elbow problem and , don't know if it is possible, but it seems to be helping the heel too. Over the last year I have just pushed myself to walk as long as the shoes held off the pain. I am hopeful that if I get the weight off I won't have to do anything more about the heel.

Jane- Okay your good news, bad news kind of evens out..right? :)

Okay...I had an OP breakfast and my day is off and running. Hope to get exercise and a walk in later.

BBL

FrouFrou
08-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Good job IFONLY, JANE & SUE! You ladies are doing GREAT! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Today is day 4 done! I was up early and spent an hour in the front yard mowing and weeding. Had to jump in the shower before heading to exercise only to get sweaty again. I didn't wash my hair the first time since I did last night but will with the next shower, lol! And I did get my work out done at It Figures. I am thinking about going tomorrow since it is supposed to rain the whole weekend, and get a walk on the treadmill. We'll see what happens...you never know about the weather so.

Take care ladies and keep up the good work!

Jane
08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Good job ladies!

I'm OP today but have to say, though, that it's a struggle today. I'm hanging on, but it's hard. I keep going over all the reasons that I want to lose, and that's helping.

Those of you with hurting heels, are you sure it isn't plantar's fasciitis? That's what I have, and my heels hurt when I first start walking, then the pain lessens, unless I've let it go too long. Now I can't go barefoot at all, and all my shoes have to have arch supports in them. Just a thought....

Marti
08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Ok...this week is a bust for me. I journalled two days. Then I took it to work and threw it in my locker so I could keep up while on my lunch break.

I kept forgetting about it and now it's in the locker over the weekend. It's only a spiral notebook so I can just start a new one...but the fact is....there is only 2days written in it!!

So I will start new on Monday.......with something different. <---Almost sounds like I gave up doesn't it?? Well I suppose in a way I did. I will do better, PROMISE.

You are all doing a great job and I applaud you for it!!:cp: Keep up the great work!

FrouFrou
08-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Day 5 done! :carrot:

I'm thinking next weeks challenge I will work on the food part and see what happens. I'm pretty sure I will keep up with the exercise...even if I skip a day or two once in a while as long as I get some in I think it is better than none at all so...gotta work on the food part for sure.

JANE...I have to agree it is very hard! But then if it were easy none of us would be here would we? I think what you are doing is good and glad that reminding yourself why you are doing is working. I need to do that also.

MARTI...eventually you will get it done...the important thing is that you keep going and two days of journalling is absolutely better than 0. :carrot:

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Jane
08-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Marti - Cristi's right - 2 days are better than 0 days!

Cristi - you're right about something else: if it was easy, we wouldn't be here. You're giving out mighty good advice today. :yes:

Sue, Norma and Ifonly - hope you are doing well with your challenges!

I made it through yesterday, barely! I finally went to bed to just stop thinking about food. Today I caved. :( I went way over points. But I have to stop and think like Cristi says: look at all the days I did a good job, right? And at least I'm getting my exercise in.

Tomorrow will be hard, too, because we're going to a church picnic. Unless it's too hot, that is. Used to be, I'd have a plan of how many points I would allow on protein, starch, etc before I ever left the house. Yikes, I'd like to get a handle on that kind of control again!

Hang tough, ladies! :hug:

suetalks
08-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Have done okay with my food, and exercised or walked most days. Haven't done a thing "over and above" however. (since Fri.)
Mon. I am going back to the beginning.....eating what I did the first week I started this...(this time..) Luckily I wrote it down and can refer back...tweak it a little if I want.
All I can do is keep on keeping on!

ifonly
08-28-2006, 12:58 AM
I have no problems (other than donut day) with my challenges. No failures at all. I went into breakroom alot to grab some filtered water, but just kept on walking past all the sugar snacks.

Someone asked about PF. I certainly have PF, the classic symptoms, but I've got some spurs that the doctor said resulted from the PF. Needless to say, my feet hurt all the time. I'm very familiar with the limping walk that eases up over a span of 5 minutes.

ifonly
08-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Marti - You should start a journal online. At least then you always have access to it, because how often are we not in front of a pc? I'm going to start one soon, I think.

Jane
08-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Well, ladies, I'm happy to report a 1 1/2 pound loss for last week, even with going over on Saturday.

Time to start a new week's challenge, so I'll see you over at week #6!