PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Default problems with blood sugar levels

Hi ladies, I haven't been on for a while but I have a question adn was wondering if anyone could help. About a month ago, I started having problems controlling my blood sugar levels. They go so low that the monitor won't even give me a reading. Then I will eat something and goes higher than it should. I have also been craving sugar to the point that one night I was willing to go and eat it right out of the sugar bowl with a spoon! I didn't do it, but how I wanted to.

I don't currently take metformin because it was interferring with another medication that I had to take. I am getting really worried about this. I have tried the low carb diet, but I get kidney stones from too much protein. I have visited a dietician and she was of NO help at all. She didn't even know what PCOS was. I have also tried WW. The more I seem to excercise, the bigger I get. I am not sure where to go from here. I have an appt with my doc next week, but is there something I should do until then?

Any advice would help. Thanks
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #2  

Are you taking any medication to lower your blood sugar? I use glucose tablets for when I get hypoglycemic episodes, but I have found I have to be very careful not to OVER compensate. All the literature says to use three tablets, but one usually does it for me. Walking helps me regulate my blood sugar levels pretty well. I hear you on the weight gain. I don't know what kind of exercise you do, but walking is excellent. I am diabetic now, and when I see what walking does to my sugar levels I want to beat myself for NOT walking a few years ago. It helps insulin resistance to exercise- walking is one of the best as it is steady, and not too strenuous- more than anything else.

To keep your sugar levels from falling too much, don't exercise when they are lower than 100 or so, and make sure you get some whole grains or something on the starchy side regularly through out the day. Diabetic info I have says to eat 25 carbs per meal, minimum.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:40 AM   #3  

Hypoglycemia can be such a problem for women with PCOS. Try eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. I used to have high blood sugar, but now because it is so controlled, I can go very low. I have to make sure to eat every 2-3 hours because of it. When I do go low, I will eat something that is no more than 15 grams of carbs. Otherwise, I will go high. It's hard because when I am low, my body just wants to eat everything in sight. I know what you mean about sugar. I've actually done that when I've been low! If you do eat smaller meals, you will be regulating your bg level throughout the day and avoiding the highs and lows.
Mikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with eating 5 or 6 meals throughout the day. I also suggest cutting out processed foods and choosing whole grains, brown rice, lots of veggie and lean proteins. Making sure you get enough fiber in your diet will help you maintain more even blood sugar levels. I know if I eat the 3 standard meals per day and I don't choose carbs that have plenty of fiber, I will end up crashing and crashing hard.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice! I have already switched my carbs to whole grains. I did that about 6 months ago. The problem with eating 5-6 small meals is that I also have ADD and I take Ritalin to help with that and it curbs my appetite. You would think that I would lose weight from that, but it seems to be of no help. My doc is completely amazed. I don't seem to have a problem with my levels being too high. I have been walking for 6 months on a treadmill and outdoors when I can. My levels have gotten worse since walking. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! We are trying to have another baby and can't conceive this time. I take injections to conceive and we did conceive with the very first set of injections, but now I am 30 pounds heavier and the PCOS is raging and now my sugar. I can't take any more injections until I get my sugar under control according to my RE.
Thanks again, I will force myself to try the small meals. I am going next week to meet a trainer. Hopefully that will work too.
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #6  

Is it normal to have to regularly check your blood sugars when you have PCOS and IR? My Dr wants me to get a glucose monitor and start checking mine regularly (I am not diabetic) but its a big ongoing expense that I cannot afford at the moment.

I eat three meals and three snacks, high protein/low GI, exercise daily and don't have any symptoms of low blood sugar unless I skip or go too long without a meal, and then I feel pretty ill, so it is rare that I skip anyway.

I guess I am just wondering if it is really necessary to get a glucose meter...it seems like more numbers to obsess over, when I can avoid it by eating right and regularly. (Dr's reason was to be "scientific about it", rather than I had to test for a specific reason other than the possibility of the Met making my bs go too low).
move2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #7  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 265/234/150

Height: 5'7"

I am thankful for this thread! I have developed blood sugar issues in the past few months after being on Metformin since last November. I find it pretty unsettling, feeling like I need to eat every 2-3 hours and even worse, having to carry food with me "just in case." I am beginning to get a better handle on it. I'm glad that you mentioned that exercise helps it... as I came to the boards this morning looking for a way to motivate myself to start exercising. I do pretty good with the diet and the self-control, but the exercising, not so much.
Amberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote