100 lb. Club - What food item did you HAVE to let go of?

starchild
08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
What one food did you think you could work into your weight-loss plan, but then realized you needed to let it go in order to lose weight? In other words, you thought you could handle that food in your diet, but it just wasn't working, and you just weren't losing?

P.J.

shyla2001
08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
FF Cool Whip and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Yes, they are "lower calorie / fat", but my mind plays tricks on me, and I can't stop eating them! I sacrifice healthy food, to leave room for these. No more for me!

Lyria
08-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Bread!

I didn't intentionally set out to do the whole "low carb" thing but I did initially cut bread out because it was such a trigger food.

Then I realised I just had to have my toast with vegemite lol and so swapped to dark ryes and multigrain/wholemeal breads

Liv

Stepping Out
08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Peanut Butter that's a MAJOR trigger food for me! :o

harkeyvalley
08-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I have to second Liv's comment. Bread is my downfall. Wonder Buttermilk White Bread. It's soft, fluffy, and it warms my tummy. I can't stop at one, two, three, four, get the picture? I do better with whole grain bread (1).

cardsfan2009
08-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Chocolate chip cookies. Even the sugar free ones. I just couldnt stop eating them. Whenever my mom makes cookies, i have to tell her to hide them somewhere, which is terrible. But hey, you do what you gotta do.

lilybelle
08-17-2006, 11:39 PM
I thought I would be able to handle baked yams on my maintenance plan. nope, I eat too much of them and too much butter on them. Best for me to leave it alone.

boiaby
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
My beloved, all time favorite cereal, Kashi Go Lean Crunch... sigh.:cloud9: It has been my breakfast of choice for the last few years during my weight loss and maintenance, but alas, I've developed a dependency on it, or rather, a tendency graze/binge on it throughout the day. So I cut it out completely, as I was no longer able to trust myself with it in the house. I believe I've mourned it's loss and moved on, but the memories shall last a lifetime... :cry: Damn how I loved my Kashi!!:tantrum: :mad:

Oh well, whatever works, right?:^:

Beverly

Glory87
08-18-2006, 01:00 AM
What one food did you think you could work into your weight-loss plan, but then realized you needed to let it go in order to lose weight? In other words, you thought you could handle that food in your diet, but it just wasn't working, and you just weren't losing?

Well, I didn't let them go because I wasn't losing weight, I let certain foods go because they had absolutely zero nutritional value. In July 2004, I completely gave up the following foods forever: fast food, sugary soda and packaged baked goods (including crackers), most candy. I severely limit the following foods: booze, home made baked goods, fried foods, full fat cheese. I didn't just want to be thin, I wanted to be the healthiest person possible.

I also had a hard time with sugary foods, eating one sugary bite just made me want to cram in 50 bites. Giving up sugar was a huge blessing, it broke the sugar cravings and my tastebuds changed to really appreciate the natural sweetness in foods like cherry tomatoes, baked sweet potatoes and fruit. I know some people can practice moderation, I could not.

I don't miss any of the foods I gave up AT ALL. I have no cravings for those kinds of foods anymore.

YP1
08-18-2006, 02:04 AM
I haven't really. There are some things I eat in very strict moderation, but nothing is completely banned. I did give up meat, but I didn't do it because I needed to do it to lose weight.

sierra_ttw
08-18-2006, 02:27 AM
White bread - I'm with Liv and harkeyvalley - I know if I eat it it'll be covered in butter, and it really won't stop at one. This includes buns, too - my biggest challenge with this was Easter - I LOVE hot cross buns, and used to eat a couple bags every Easter (there are 12 in a bag - ew!), warmed up with butter on them. I wanted one more than anything this spring, but I knew one wouldn't be enough, so I just kept avoiding them until the holiday was over... let's hope it's easier next year!

srmb60
08-18-2006, 06:06 AM
I've thought about this since I saw the original question last night and I can't think of anything. Ice cream, the odd fried thing??? I eat them add in the calories at fitday and take my lumps.
Nope, there's nothing that I 'never' eat.

kykaree
08-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Cheese. I don't "never" eat it, but I certainly don't have it as a regular thing. I have a cheese day once a month where I have a little bit, and if I eat a lot, so be it.

Now if I want cheese I have haloumi or cottage cheese or ricotta, but cheddars and the like are just bad news. It's so easy to go over on your calories eating cheese.

howie6267
08-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Ditto on the Kashi Beverly. It was becoming our replacement for ice cream. We would end up having a huge bowl at night with frozen blueberries.

I also had to give up fast food hamburgers. They just set me off. I could eat four or five in one sitting. Plus once I have them that is all I crave. So it's better off to just leave them alone. I do have hamburgers but they are either made at home or if I'm in a sit down restaurant I might order one.

Angel33
08-18-2006, 08:43 AM
I had to give up fast food. There were times that I would have fast food twice a day. YUK!! and the more I ate it the more I craved it.
I haven't had fast food in 6 months and to tell you the truth I don't even miss it.

cheenamom
08-18-2006, 08:46 AM
brownies just a quick question....what are the eggs and exclamatioon marks meaning on our signatures????

nelie
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
artificial sweeteners... I'm glad I let go of them. The reasoning is it does stop me from eating a lot of stuff that may be low in sugar but still high in calories. Also I used to have some pretty bad cravings and I'm not sure if artificial sweeteners contributed, but since I've given up artificial sweeteners, the cravings aren't as bad.

I also rarely eat anything with sugar in it. I do eat a square of dark chocolate once in a while. It has sugar in it. I am ok with that.

On the flip side, I've realized I can let other things into my diet like potatoes. I used to restrict white carbs even potatoes but potatoes aren't processed so they are ok. I am also more free with eating fruit now than I have been in the past.

midwife
08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
I've given up fast food, which I do not miss, but what I need to give up are burritos. I am maintaining now, because of my sucky diet choices. Exercise is keeping it balanced, but when I have a burrito (and I have had...5 this week!), I eat the whole thing, which includes a nutritionally poor flour tortilla, the cheese, and whatever else is in there. It would be far better to lose the tortilla and the cheese and have more portion control on the filling.

Good topic. Making me think.

midwife
08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Cheena, if there is a yolk in the egg, it means that user is logged in. The exclamation point egg is how you can report SPAM or crappy messages.

srmb60
08-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I didn't know that about the yolk!

zoritsa
08-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Those 100 calorie snack packs.I thought I could have one now and then as a special treat,but one turns to two,three and so on.Chocolate as well,since once I have a taste,I can't seem to get rid of that craving...whereas if I don't have any at all...there is no craving.

BreakingFree
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I include all foods in my diet or, should I say, the possibility of eating any and all foods. There are lots of foods I avoid or eat in moderation but the minute I decide that any food is completely "off limits," I set myself up for a binge. Restriction doesn't work for me.

Skittlez
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Diet soda, I used to have 4-5 cans a day. Instead of water :-P I need to drink more water now, so I cut the soda out completely. I miss the caffeine sometimes, but it never really affected me that much physically, it was more of a mental thing.

Nori71
08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I haven't really. There are some things I eat in very strict moderation, but nothing is completely banned. I did give up meat, but I didn't do it because I needed to do it to lose weight.I'm the same way, but maybe for different reasons. I have stopped labeling food as categorically "bad" and "good". Even though there really are good vs. bad foods when we're trying to be our healthiest, like Glory mentioned. But, whenever I totally restrict or ban a food, I sooner or later (usually sooner) binge on it or something else because I want it so bad. So while tortilla chips and salsa are a "dangerous" food for me, as long as I know that I can go and measure out 1oz of chips and enjoy them, I'm ok. No chip binges in months now. And learning moderation at the same time. What a blessing!

phantastica
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Fast food, for sure.

lewelaine
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I never cut something out as in "I'm never going to eat that again". However there are alot of things I don't eat now because I pass them up because of the calories. After awhile you forget about them.

synger
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't have anything that I forbid myself to eat. But some things I just keep out of the house on principle because if they're around, I am drawn to them.

squishy white bread, rolls, and hamburger buns...

I haven't bought white bread in years, but once in a while my husband buys the wrong thing, or someone comes over to grill and leaves a half-bag of hamburger/hotdog buns. White bread doesn't need butter -- I'll eat half a bag at a time without even thinking about it. It's a deep, old memory of comfort. Mom used to tell me about finding me in the front closet, hidden behind the coats, stuffing my face with bread. I don't remember so I must have been pretty young. But the smell of a closet also triggers some strange memories, too. *laughs* I think I hid in there to binge-eat a lot more than Mom ever caught me doing.

fruit pies and pot pies, especially two-crust

I am a pie crust fiend. I will pick bits of the crimped edges. I will eat my daughter and husband's crusts after they eat out "the good stuff". I rate pot pies on how good the crust is much more than on the stew inside. We got half a rhubarb-strawberry pie from the Amish market near our home one week and I enjoyed it a great deal. Next week, DH brought home a WHOLE pie as a "treat" for me, because I had enjoyed the first one so much. I had to thank him kindly but ask him please not to do that again. Half a pie is one thing. I can divide it in small slices and ration it out one a day for a week. A whole pie, however, disappears much sooner. I don't know what it is. *sighs* And when we went on vacation and found a Mennonite bakery that sold cherry and berry pies -- well, I bought two "for the whole family" and ended up eating half of one all by myself. I will bake sweet breads. I will bake cookies. I will bake brownies and cakes. But except for Thanksgiving, I do NOT bake pie. I might as well hang the unbaked pie crust on my hips, because that's where it will end up if I bake it.

So, those are two things that I KNOW are trigger foods for me. White bread I will have as dinner rolls at holidays, and pie I may allow myself to order for desert at a restaurant. But I really don't want them in my house.

Sheila53
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm like Synger in that I don't have any "forbidden" foods, but some foods I can't keep around. Anything sugary or made with white flour is a big trigger for me, as is peanut butter. My DH has a jar of it on the top cupboard above the washer. It takes effort for me to get it so if I really want some, I will go to the effort, but mostly I don't bother.

nelie
08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I would also say that there isn't any food item that I would tell myself "no, you can't have that". What I've given up is really by choice. I've also given up fried foods, because of my gall bladder issue but I never really ate many fried foods in the first place. I have no real desire for sweets anymore so I can't say I've given them up conciously. Most stuff I used to eat, I gave up because I have no taste for it. I've even given up most meat! Not because of a concious choice, but I don't have too much of a desire to eat meat any more. The only noted item I gave up conciously was what I stated before (artificial sweeteners).

Midwife, I eat burritos occassionally as well from Baja Fresh. Now I know they aren't the best but I do cut it in half and only eat half. It is also my form of calorie cycling as during the week, my calories are pretty low and pretty much the same. If I have a half a burrito on the weekend, then I'm upping my calories slightly and doing a lazy form of calorie cycling :)

shananigans
08-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Nothing has been absolutely “banned” from my diet. I’ve been a vegetarian for 12 years so there’s no meat, but that wasn’t something I gave up to lose weight. I was never into a lot of the things that lots of people seem to have trouble with, like fast food and soda. I guess my just diet needed a nutritional fine tuning and portion control more than anything. I have drastically reduced the amount of dairy, eggs and processed food. And I very rarely eat out or order delivery/carry out. Eating restaurant rarely goes well for me, I might enjoy it while I’m eating it but I almost always overeat and feel like crap later. I feel loads lighter after making some changes and everything seems to run much more smoothly. If you know what I mean.

PollyRB
08-18-2006, 05:53 PM
The only thing that I have really cut off are cookies. I used to say "Ok, I can have two with my coffee for breakfast and it won't be too bad". But once I ate one I just couldn't stop! So no more cookies for me until I can control them :P

Tara D
08-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Having boxes of snackable cereal in the house. I've now been eating cream of wheat every morning for over a year, and love it. Plus there's no grabbing handfuls of the stuff after dinner...gotta cook it first and I really just like to eat it in the morning. Nice hearty breakfast that keeps me from getting hungry!

Also, when I was a kid we used to drink LARGE glasses of orange juice with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can only imagine how many extra hundreds of calories we were consuming each day because of this habit. Now I drink nothing but water, and have actually been doing that for several years. No way could anyone convince me that any drink is better than cold H2O with ice! Hey, it's what humans were meant to drink, right?!

DollyR
08-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Sweets, chocolate and white bread are the foods I have no desire to eat anymore. Occasionally I will try something but it really does not do it for me so to speak. I choose whole grain bread and fruit because I like them. I have gotten into Skinny Cow sanwiches since I have been back the past week but our commisary is notorious for letting things melt and refreeze that those will be out after I finish the pack I have here. They don't trigger me to eat more either. Its funny. I just want one and that is it. A year ago I would of been all over that pack!!

starchild
08-18-2006, 08:27 PM
I guess like many of you, foods that I may have "given up" in the beginning of my weight-loss tend to either now be foods that I CAN eat in moderation because my taste-buds have adjusted, or they are foods that I just don't have a taste for at all. For example, I "gave up" potato chips starting out and after eating about ten (Pringles sour cream 'n onion) last week, the taste was so strange to my mouth! And I didn't want anymore! There was a day when I could have knocked out that whole can in one sitting!!!

Ice cream on the other hand, I didn't "give up," but I did learn to eat 1/2 c. (1 serving) and be done with it, that is, when I crave ice cream, which is actually not that often.

So, how nice it is to know that we can make the choices to have, to not have, or to have in moderation.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your responses!

Laura Philly
08-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Mine are the exact same food items!!! That FF coolwhip is dangerous!!!!

didi65
08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I would have to say Pepsi and chips .

Vilandra485
08-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Well I never tried to keep these things in my diet...I forbade them from Day 1 cause I was emotionally attached to them....greasy fast food, chips, and chocolate bars. 3+ months without them...and counting!! :)

DeafinlySmart
08-19-2006, 09:30 PM
The first 4 months I was on my diet I didn't eat a chocolate candy bar except the alternative sugar free chocolate toffee by russel stover. Then I took a break from it all (grief) then resumed the first week of July. I didn't have any (not even the alternatives) until today. I had a snickers bar. It tasted good but I didn't feel the need to keep going.

rkrs6673
08-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Chex Mix----(my study buddy food)
German Choc. Cake (Holidays will never be the same :) But they will be better because I will be healthy!)

thistoo
08-20-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm with homebound. Definitely peanut butter. I tried to work it back in in controlled amounts, but it's just not working for me. One little tablespoon just makes me want more more more.

mkat321
08-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Ice cream and microwave popcorn. I would have one or the other and sometimes both on the same night. Dh pops my air-popped popcorn for me so I don't get it that often as he works nights. We will occasionally get ice cream for the kids and I'll have some in one of those 'similac' bowls for babies that my mom sent in for when my oldest started eating cereal.

Another thing I'm working on giving up is fast food. I used to 'sneak off' to mc d's on the way home from bringing dh his dinner at work {kids with ex h, baby contentedly dozing in back seat} Chicken nuggets and french fries are my downfall. :( I recognized it as stress related eating, but still couldn't let it go, y/k? I've done well the last couple weeks mostly because DH just came off military orders so we've not had the money. I'm working on my self-talk so I will be strong enough to bypass the entire 'strip' where the fast food joints are located during my lunchtime trips.

There's more, but I need to get dinner started.

shoots-alot
08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Bread, I love making bread and eatting bread, I tried to have it on weekends only in moderation but, it's like a drug so for now I just can't have it.

ifonly
08-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Cheese, Chocolate, and Pasta.. in that order. Ugh.
Oh, and those dang Mint Milano Cookies... I tried just having those once a month or so. No, that didn't work out.

kaplods
08-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Aldi's version of Nutella (a chocolate hazelnut spread). If I spread it real thin on apple slices, it is a reasonable treat, but along comes PMS, and I end up eating it with a spoon.

Merissa
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Not even a food for me it is Sugary Drinks like Coke a cola!

opticaltech
09-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I loved ice cream and cokes!..I could drink several cokes a day instead of drinking water..Now I HAVE TO drink water..I have opted for diet instead..there are alot of good tasting diet sodas out there so I have filled up my fridge with different flavors. The ice cream I have substituted an occasional fudgecicle..it works so far!..L.

card
09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
cheesies, they are my stress food, I love cheesies, cannot stop at just a handful, have to eat the whole bag.

tolose85
09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't think there is any one food or foods that I had to get rid of. Obviously for health reasons, I don't do fast food or fried anything but I really do not miss that crap. That stuff made me feel disgusting. I feel so much better not eating it. I guess I do have a hard time with nuts and lifesavers... But I just cannot get rid of them. They keep me going when I need a little munchie fix. The lifesaver orange only has 60 cals for 5 pieces, and that's more than enough to satisfy my craving, so I go ahead and work them in.

newsnerd
09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
The only thing I have given up totally is regular soda. I do drink some diet, but the weird thing is, once I decided to stop with the regular stuff and drink more water, I don't drink much soda at all. And man, did I used to. That was the one requirement for the fridge at all times! I'd drink at least a 2 liter a day. And now, the stuff hangs out in the fridge so long I have to toss it cause it gets flat. I was NEVER a water drinker. I could seriously go for weeks and never have swig and now I can't get enough! Weird!

Other than that, I just try to limit most things. I stay away from chips, although I have some on occasion, sweets, anything I know is high calorie and I rarely eat fast food. And when I do, I get a jr. sized burger (without the extra patty or bacon or any of that stuff) and a small fry. I figure I have to learn to live WITH food rather than FOR it.

ladybugnessa
09-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Nothing is BANNED BUT.... since May 1 when we went on South Beach there are things we've changed.

1. no fruit juice
2. no white rice, sugar, breads or potatoes

things I've not had since May 1 that I would eat if I thought I could handle it:

bagels (i can eat 3 huge ones in 15 minutes easy)
potatoes. cant do white. afraid to try the sweet ones as I love them
popcorn while I can have popcorn I seriously doubt I could control the portions of it.