General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #1  
I restore Teeth.

Default What's your favorite magazine? (I want some cool subscription recommendations)

Do any of you get subscriptions to magazines? I'd like to hear what sort of mags are popular in this crowd I'm looking for some mags to keep myself busy when I could use something to read...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I dont read any, but I like People the best, haha
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #3  
Fat-be-gone

LATINA MAgazine
Old 08-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #4  
Domestic Engineer

Family Fun (sorry, that probably doesn't help lol)
Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #5  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

I actually subscribe to Entertainment Weekly LOL! But I have teenagers and it's the best way to stay on top of their music, movies, and stuff like that. Side benefit? Nobody can beat me at Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit!

I also subscribe to Rolling Stone and really like the political/current events type articles as much as info about the music scene.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #6  
resident lactivist

The only magazine I have a subscription to is Quick & Easy Crochet. Probably not what you've got in mind, though of course needlework would be a good time-filler in itself.

Other than crochet magazines, which are my main thing, I really like Mental Floss (because reading it really does make me feel smart again), Mothering, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, & some homesteading mags like Countryside & Small Stock Journal. I also buy US News & World Report every now & again; it seems to be the least-biased of the news mags (not that I've anything against bias per se, I just wish folks would admit to it ). I pick up Psychology Today on those rare occasions when it has an interesting cover, but it's starting to look fluffier & fluffier. When I really want to stretch my mind, or spend some time feeling dumb, I pick up Scientific American.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to subscribe to magazines and Shape was my favorite. They are an awesome magazine. Yoga journal is also pretty cool. Every time I see YJ or Shape at a news stand, i want to buy them. I recently subscribed to National Geographic Adventure magazine. It is a pretty cool magazine if you want ideas for doing outdoorsy things. My outdoorsy thing is hiking but it includes a lot more than that.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #8  

Bust, *****, SageWoman and Allure. I love Allure's bargain shopping info and beauty tips. I got the best flat iron in the world thanks to their help! Now that Marie Claire has a new editor, I heard it was going to go back to its roots of being geared towards the independent woman, rather than being a knock off of Cosmo, so I might subscribe to that one.

I don't subscribe to these, but I also like to read the celebrity trash gossip magazines like InTouch Weekly or OK!. It's fun to remove myself from reality sometimes.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The Sun thesunmagazine.org It has a mixture of personal essays, fiction, poetry and photography. It also includes a section called "Readers Write" in which readers write in about topics that have been assigned in advance (this month's topic is temptation). This section is the best part of the magazine, the stories are sometimes funny and sometimes touching (I cry with almost every issue) but always fascinating. Each issue also includes an interview with a social activist, although a lot of times I don't read the interviews. But other than that, I read the whole magazine, cover to cover, almost as soon as it comes every month. It is supported entirely by reader subscriptions and donations, there are no ads in the magazine whatsoever.

I also subscribe to Mother Jones for news of a political nature. It is always informative (and is only published every other month, so I can mostly keep up with it). I subscribed to Harper's Magazine for years and used to read it cover to cover; I can't remember why I stopped now and have been considering resubscribing.

Other than that, I just subscribe to home/cooking magazines: Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart Living, and Cooking Light. Cooking Light is probably my fav of the three; if you like to cook I highly recommend it. It includes articles on fitness, health, and travel so there's more to it than just recipes.

- Barbara
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #10  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I'm hooked on Vanity Fair - it's the perfect mix of gossippy stuff and proper journalism.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Cooks Illustrated!!!!

Best cooking magazine EVER

cooksillustrated.com
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #12  

I like Glamour & Redbook best.... but I also have subscriptions to Ladies Home Journal & Cosmopolitan. My BF gets a bunch, as do all of my daughters too! I often give magazine subscriptions as Christmas Gifts.

Here's a great site for really cheap prices.... I never subscribe before checking there!!

magazinepricesearch.com
(I'm not gonna get in trouble for spam am I????)
Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #13  

Default Cooking light, Cooking Light, Cooking Light

COOKING LIGHT. It is my favorite magazine and I get so excited when I get mine. It has great articles about health and fitness and traveling and nutrition. Also, it has the best healthy recipes. I cook from it frequently and am always amazed that the foods I make are healthy, because they are usually soooo delicious.

I also get US Weekly because its just mindless and fun
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #14  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Natural Health (health & wellness, natural medicine, recipes, exercise)
Body & Soul (health & wellness, natural care, recipes, exercise)
Vegetarian Times (vegetarian cooking and lifestyle)
Cooking Light (cooking, articles on health and exercise)
WW Magazine (health news, recipes, diet stories etc.)

Style at Home (Canadian magazine for home decor)
Chatelaine (Canadian women's magazine general health, recipes, lifestyle & fashion)

If you do a search on these I think most of them have websites that you can get free articles and info from.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #15  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I sometimes buy Prevention Magazine too.
Closed Thread