South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

Question Do I have to eat ALL the food?

Hello everyone! Ok, I have a question for all the Chicks on the Beach: do I have to eat all the food, as specified on the program, in order to lose weight? Here's the deal: I followed the plan exactly as written the first week, and pretty much as written the second week until the very end. I lost 16 lbs by the end of the second week. But there at the end, it just seemed like I was eating a lot of food. I mean, everytime I turned around it seemed like, I was eating. So, I slowly slipped back into my "old ways" a little. I used to not eat breakfast at all, rarely ate lunch, and only ate dinner. I cut down on what I was eating for breakfast on the plan, didn't always get a vegetable serving in and ate really very little. (Now I'm not getting any protein, just having high fiber, whole grain cereal in the a.m.). My lunches kept getting smaller and smaller and sometimes I can't even finish them. I'm not snacking like I was in the beginning, like the plan says you are supposed to. But I haven't been hungry! And guess what? I've stopped losing weight and even gained some. (Horrors!) So, is that because I'm not eating enough? That almost seems unreasonable, like it doesn't make sense. Is the key to this plan actually eating all the portions exactly as specified on the plan?

I'm on my third week now. Because of this, I'm a little scared about adding stuff back in. I have added in cereal (high fiber, whole grain) in the morning, mainly because I can't eat eggs at all (allergic). I just got a cantaloupe to have some at lunch or in the evening. But I'm scared to eat it, or at least what is listed as a "portion". It seems like a lot to me! Anyhoo, the ONLY thing I have done differently is stopped eating all the food the plan calls for and I'm seeing weight gain, even though I'm not having any sugar, having everything low-fat or FF, eating vegetables, etc. which is MUCH different from how I ate before! So what do you suggest? Is it possible that I have sent my body into "starvation mode" because I'm not eating enough? I am stumped, and am curious as to what everyone has to say and what their experiences have been with this. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #2  

Welcome to the SBD Boards darlin'! No, there are no consumption requirements with SBD
First A BIG on loosing all them pounds safe n sound on plan! Amazing!!

Here's the thing about South Beach: If you are true to it, you slowly replace "bad" eating habits with good ones.. Once you learn that ( and what foods are a trigger causing a feeling of "need" for certain foods to avoid ) the rest is left up to the person. For example some folks can't handle grains at all and gravitate to a protein /lower slow carb diet.. others can handle most foods but have learned certain trigger foods and take a look at their portion sizes.. With SBD there is No guide on How much to eat..simply that time worn phrase worn of "eat till satisfied" mantra ..That being said.(and I may be in the minority here), but it also comes down to Calories in and out. It's the standard recommendation to consume AT least 1200 cals aday.. Some of us use free software like www.fitday.com to help identify our calorie intake, then the break down of fat/protein/carbs and other things like sodium.. to help us understand our own uniqueness. Try using a BMR tool to establish a base calorie line ---and work from there.. SBD does offer a "quick" initial weightloss (but so do a lot of plans), but the best part of SBD is its focus on Clean, healthy non processed food eating as a way of eating for life...

It took us all a looong time to gain the weight and bad habits that got us here... it's gonna take some time fer you to lose FAT , maintain or build muscle and make that mental change that we all so desprately would like to happen overnight. You may have hit one of those plateaus / set points and... Be patient.... make small changes...use something like Fitday to understand where your calories come from..Stay your course.. use the tools here on 3 FC and elsewhere.. and as weird as this sounds, enjoy the process
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Too little food can slow your weight down and even stop it. There is evidence of that all over the board. Plus too little food doesn't give us the vitamins (naturally) from from the foods we eat for proper fuel. If you eat too little, your body conserves and loses less. It's a fine balance to find the perfect fit for your body.

I'm not on the SB plan (I'm a calorie counter) but from what I've read in multiple plans, the first few weeks are "induction" weeks. If you started not following the plan and stalled, it may be more prudent to go back to the beginning and start over than to move on to the 3rd week's plan. Consult with other SB chicks before making that move though cuz I'm no expert.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am on Atkins instead of SBD. Like you, I lost great those first couple weeks. Then the 3rd week, I didn't lose anything. I kept eating the same except for that I was no longer quite as hungry. By the 4th week my weight loss started showing again. It may just be a temporary thing after that initial huge loss, that was it for me. You might check your calories just for a few days and make sure you are getting at least 1200 a day. The few times that I checked mine, I saw that I ate 1400-1500 a day which was plenty enough to keep me full and keep the weight coming off. Good luck and Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #5  
Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzi View Post
That being said.(and I may be in the minority here), but it also comes down to Calories in and out. It's the standard recommendation to consume AT least 1200 cals aday.. Some of us use free software like www.fitday.com to help identify our calorie intake, then the break down of fat/protein/carbs and other things like sodium.. to help us understand our own uniqueness. Try using a BMR tool to establish a base calorie line ---and work from there.. SBD does offer a "quick" initial weightloss (but so do a lot of plans), but the best part of SBD is its focus on Clean, healthy non processed food eating as a way of eating for life...

So, how do I find out what my calorie range should be? I signed up for fitday and like the food log. But how many calories do I need? What is a BMR tool?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #6  
Here we go again!

Ok. I googled BMR tool and it directed me to a website where I was able to get a free fitness analysis. (They had a BMR calculator there, but I didn't understand it). According to them, I need 2498 cals. a day to lose weight, coupled with exercise 30 min cardio 3x a week. That sounds like a lot, and I had been getting waaaaay less than that, but wasn't losing anymore. I did better when I ate more, so I guess if it works, don't fix it, huh?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #7  

You may be throwing your body into starvation mode and that is where tracking your calories will help. It is also important to eat your snacks (at least in the early months). It will help keep your glucose levels smooth. Are you getting your 4.5 cups of veggies every day? It is normal to plateau or even gain in week three. Your body is adjusting.

Why don't you post a typical day's worth of meals to see what we think?

I'll give you an example of what I ate yesterday (remember though I am well into phase 2). Breakfast was oatmeal with Splenda, cinnamon, strawberries and banana (and a glass of Metamucil). Morning snack was yogurt. Lunch was homemade eggplant parmesan. Afternoon snacks were zucchini slices (raw) and raw cauliflower. Dinner was ham, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli pasta with a fat free "cream" sauce and a salad. Dessert was plain yogurt with Splenda and a peach.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #8  
Here we go again!

Quote:
BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

DINNER
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.
Ok, so I did better when I went "by the book". For breakfast, I would have a little tuna, with light mayo, maybe a little dill relish, with the 1/2 c. salad greens chopped up in there. Now that I am on phase 2, I added in 1/3 c. All Bran Bran Buds and 1/2 c. 1% milk. For lunch, I typicall have 2 cup mixed salad greens (romaine, red leaf, spinach). I will have some kind of protein, like some chicken breast (chopped up in the salad) or maybe something that was left over from the night before (a SBD recipie from Phase 1). I will have some salad dressing, usually reduced cal, but not always, about 2 tbl. I stick to low sugar, low carb dressing. When I was losing, I had a SF Jello at lunch. (Today, I brought a serving of cantaloupe for lunch, but I may split that serving up between lunch and dinner). For dinner, steamed or canned veggies, protien, typically chicken breast either grilled or prepared with a SBD recipie, 1-2 cup mixed salad greens w/1-2 tbl. dressing. When I was losing, I would have either a SF popcicle or NSA fudgesicle later in the evening. I though I read in the book that even if you were not hungry per se, that you should have a snack. For my snacks, I would have either string cheese, a serving of soynuts, or a serving of pistachios, and I would have a snack in the mid-morning and in the mid-afternoon. I like having something crunchy and salty for snack for some reason. I do drink coffee, typically 2 cups, with 1-2 tsp of powdered creamer (10 cal. .5g fat, 1 g carb per tsp) and sweet-n-low. I only drink SF diet drinks when I have them, and iced tea with splenda in the evening. I don't stress so much on water after reading the latest Dish on water. I'm not able to exercise much because I'm so big, I just don't have the stamina, but I am doing at least 30 min cardio 3x a week to build that up.

That's what I was eating. But then I thought I'd get smart and cut down on the amount of veggies, wouldn't eat the morning protein or veggies, wouldn't eat the snacks, and LOL if I didn't GAIN weight even though I was eating less food! So, I'm going back to the book and eating exactly what it says and see what happens.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

At your weight you'll be able to eat alot more then someone at my weight and height. I can see being able to eat 2500 calories and still lose the weight. I maintain at around 1700-2000 calories now and only lose when I'm consistantly around 1400 calories a day. But, I'm 5' tall and weigh 160 pounds.

Cutting down on the vegetables is what usually gets to gaining or at least stalling. If I can get the full 4.5 cups of veggies a day and moderate the cheese and nuts I can usually keep steady.

Check out this thread, it may have some helpful advice:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63320

Sarah
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #10  

My suggestion is to eat more veggies and not just salad greens. It is important to eat a variety of vegetables since they are filling and full of nutrition. Tonight I am making the Taco Bake. I love recipes with black beans (or refried black beans in this case). I do try to watch the amount of cheese and peanut butter. I often make an extra vegetable just for myself since I eat more veggies than my husband and son.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #11  
Here we go again!

Default Thanks, everybody!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming, 'cause I learn a lot from everyone's experiences. I plugged in everything I had today on fitday, including what I planned for dinner. I learned that 50%, yep that's 5-0 percent, of my calories was coming from fat. So, I'm looking at where I can cut that, (less salad dressing, etc.) I found online that it's recommended that we should have 30% of our calories from fat. Even so, I'm less than 1500, which is way less than I found was needed for me. All I gotta say is I'm glad soy nuts are protein, so I can still get crunchy/salty without going off program. About the veggies, I cut up a little cucumber, onion, radishes in my salad, but not that much. And I do have at least one serving of veggies like green beans or steamed broccoli with dinner. I don't know where the fat is coming from really, and I'm going to look at the labels of the stuff I use to be sure the numbers jive with what's on fitday.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #12  
Here we go again!

Angry Now, I'm pissed!

So, I went and weighed just now and have gained even more, and I am not eating junk or anything. This is just not right. I'm about ready to say fugheddaboutit, because if I gain weight even eating right, then why deny myself??????? I mean, if it really doesn't make a difference, why bother?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Stop. Calm down, take a deep breath and relax for a moment. You're body is adjusting to your new way of eating. Give it time. You didn't gain the weight overnight and it likes you so much it doesn't want to go away too soon. How long have you been at the weight you are now?

My advice? Hide the scale and go by how your clothes fit for a month. Take your measurements and then continue to measure yourself each month. When I didn't notice the scale moving I usually had some loss in inches when I was losing.

Quote:
then why deny myself???????
Do you feel you've denied yourself something that you really and truely enjoy? How does your body feel after you've eaten what you want to eat in the quanitites you would like?

How do you feel after eating more healthy? Do you have more energy?

I found that I could incorporate the foods that I refuse to live without in moderation. There are certain foods that I will not give up no matter what. I've learned how to enjoy a single serving of it and not feel deprived. Who knew that 1 slice of pizza is considered a serving. I could easily eat half a large pizza by myself before I lost the weight. Cool Whip is a problem still for me because my serving and what the carton says is a serving don't match-I say 4 servings per container.

Don't give up! Stay committed to becoming more healthy. I'll get back a little later-work-why does it get in the way of good stuff?

Sarah

The 50% calories from fat isn't that bad as long as they are the good healthy poly and mono-unsaturated fats and not saturated fats.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/178/150

Height: 5'2"

Sue-
I hope you are feeling better today. About a year ago I started working out several times a week, and was eating tremendously better than I had. EVERYTHING in our house was whole wheat, and event hen I consumed so much less carbs and sweets than before. I did this for 3 months, and literally had no change. My clothes fit the same, weight stayed the same (sometimes gained). It was really frustrating. I quit and gained 10 pounds.
We just have to stick with it. Eventually, if we follow the rules something has to happen. And as frustrating as the thought is....even if that dial never moves, you have to know that eating better and exercising will make you healthier, which in the long run, is more important.
P.S. Even though I didn't lose weight/inches, my co-workers swear I look like I'm getting smaller, even if my body is an anomale.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212//196/150

Height: 5' 1"

Sue,
You mentioned there was some new news about water? I am on my second day and am interested to know what you have read.

Karen S.
Closed Thread