South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Default in need of immediate help!!

okay, this isn't about weight loss but I need help and I've tried everything everyone here has suggested.

I was eaten by some sort of bug, We're thining fleas, while mountain biking Monday. They didn't start itching until yesterday but they're driving me crazy. I got about 2 hours of sleep last night.

I've tried everything I can think of. Benydryl pills, cream and spray, lanacane, tea tree oil, lavendar (I was at work when they started itching). I have 6 massages today and can't scratch during any of them. It makes me want to cry!!! Any suggestions? It's mostly my right leg...we've counted over 40 bites now on that leg alone.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #2  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

No suggestions but I hope someone comes up with something! That sounds horrible
Old 08-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #3  

Wow Grasshopper sounds like you tried them all.. I find Ivy Dry is best fer.. You could also try white vinegar...hope you heal quick
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 293.5/258.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Some ideas

1. Apply baking soda - An effective way to help soothe the discomfort is by gently rubbing on a paste of baking soda with water onto the bite or sting several times a day, “the alkalinity helps relieve the itch.”
2. Try some meat tenderizer –meat tenderizers have enzymes that aid in breaking down the poison in insects stings and reduces the irritation. Create a paste by mixing the tenderizer with water, applying immediately to the sting. Repeat as necessary.
3. Break an aloe vera leaf – Aloe Vera is great for minor skin irritation. Applying a thin coat of gel from the plant soothes discomfort and relieves irritation. You can also buy aloe vera gel from pharmacies and health food stores.
4. Ammonia – ammonia helps relieve the pain from insect bites and stings, suggest dabbing ammonia right on the area with cotton.
5. Relieve with some milk of magnesia – A medication that contains magnesium hydroxide which eases irritation and itchiness. Apply a thin coat a few times per day.
6. Cool it off –by applying cold compress reduces the swelling and eases the pain. Hold it in the area for about five minutes or longer.
7. Try some over the counter – Applying a thin coat of hydrocortisone cream is recommended for sore spots from bites and stings
Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #5  

I've read that itching is a very low grade form of pain and putting something cold on should stop it. Try a menthol based gel or something that can be used for sunburn!

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #6  

Be careful of over the counter hydrocortisone creams over a large area. It sounds to me like it might be chigger bites. I used Ivy Rest when I recently had poison ivy. It did help with the weeping blisters but not with the itching. When I saw my dermatologist recently he gave me a prescription for Temovate Gel to use next time I get it.

If this is something that will interfere with your work, you might consider seeing a doctor to get something stronger than what you can get over the counter. If it is chiggers, I have heard that wiping your legs down well after exposure (before symptoms) can prevent the symptoms since it takes 24 hours before the chiggers can affect you. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Ouch!

They have a hydrocortizone lotion now that is for larger areas of the body. I love the stuff. I tend to get hives for no reason.

How about an ice pack, with just plain ice and tie it around your leg. It seems to help kill the itch impulse.

I have afriend who swears by fingernail polish for bug bites. She says it somehow blocks the itch...just make sure you use clear. My friend used an off the wall color and went to work in a skirt, it looked really bad.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

thanks for all the recommendations. I went to work for 2 massages and then left. Another therapist was kind enough to come in and take over my day.

I'm using cold baths. (it covers my entire leg so ice packs would need to either move a lot or be huge!) I did a salt scrub which seems to have helped and i'm taking 3 benydryl. I'm a zombie but I don't itch as much.

It is definately flea bites - another mountain biker posted on another board that they road there and the same thing happned, in about the same area on the trail. I just forgot to spray the bug spray and stopped to rest in the wrong place.

I'm also going to make a baking soda paste.when DF brings some home. The thing is that i'm tired from the baking soda but the more I keep moving the less Itch! I guess it takes my mind off it.

Thanks for the tips I'm sure i"ll try them all!
Closed Thread