Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/130

Height: 5'5"

Default purging?

Is it ok to talk about purging here in Chicks in Control?
coopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Hmmm, dont know. Maybe you could ask a moderator. What is it about purging that your wanting to discuss?
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Yes, it is okay . . . but you'll get a long, detailed lecture about the dangers of bulimia from me!! But only because I don't encourage it here and I try my best to dissuade anyone from engaging in the behavior. BUT, DO NOT purposefully OR inadvertently give tips/hints/secrets of purging, or your post will be deleted.

And PLEASE don't be afraid to talk about - it really does help to talk about it, and no one here judges anyone. Just please be careful about it. We don't want to ever encourage the behavior.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #4  

of course you can talk about it but as harpo says it's dangerous so if you want any help we'll all be happy to pitch in and support you if we can
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi, Stacey... welcome! (read your name on another thread...)

Harpo and Sweet_Pea are so right. We're definitely here for you if you need some support re: not purging. You're not the only one who does it here, but we're definitely here to help heal, not to encourage the behaviour.
Occasionally, a member will join with the idea of promoting purging, etc, and we have to be firm about that sort of thing. But I'm sure you know it's unhealthy, and we're totally here to listen and help out.

We have threads for binging, challenges for not binging, challenges for exercising, etc, and we could always have one challenging people not to purge.

Come and talk, Stacey.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/190/130

Height: 5'5"

Oh, heavens no I wasn't going to ask for tips or hints or anything. I purged for the first time yesterday after lunch and I am afraid of how powerful (for lack of a better word) it made me feel. I have always been a binge eater. A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to lose weight. I have been doing REALLY well with eating healthier and eating the right portions of things (instead of the whole bag). I have also been sticking to my exercise plan. Well, yesterday I went to a fast food taco place for lunch and ordered ten dollars worth of stuff (and fast food tacos are cheap, so you know I had a lot of food!). I ate every last bite of it. Every. Last. Bite. I felt so sick. Not just to my stomach from eating the food, but also I was mad with myself for eating so much. I wasn't even that hungry when I went to the place. As I was giving the cashier my order, I just kept saying more and more things. So I got back to work and went to the bathroom. While I was in there I thought, "I bet I could throw this up" And I did. I feel like such a loser for doing that.
coopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Okay, here comes my lecture about the dangers of bulimia.

Okay, first of all, that 'power' you feel is your psyche playing a devious trick on you. When you are purging, you are the most out of control you can be. Since you have just started, it's going to be so much easier to STOP now before it gets so out of control, you'll be be so far lost in the disease's clutches, you'll have to get professional help to get out of them. Don't let it become a part of you.

Bulimia kills, it's as simple as that. Not only will your teeth enamel will come off and your teeth will turn brown and brittle, your hair will start falling out in clumps, the blood vessels will break in your eyes, and you'll constantly look like you've been run over by a truck. You could end up so dehydrated that you have to be hospitalized. You could end up rupturing your stomach or your esophagus, and if that happens, you'll end up dying in excruciating pain. Your electrolytes could become so imbalanced that you end up in cardiac arrest. And in the end, you'll end up with a weakened heart and an increased chance of espophegeal cancer.

It's going to be so much easier never to do it again now - than have to struggle with it years from now. I have a family member who's lost 35 years to it.

And another point is that it's not a very effective form of weight control. If I happen to be relapsing, I'm gaining, not losing. That's why the majority of bulimics don't look like anorexics.

And to tell you about my story - bulimia made me gain over 100 pounds. Because I was 16 when I started purging - and I was never a binge eater before that. Bulimia taught me to binge - and one day I said, "I can't purge anymore." So I stoppped. And since I was used to eating massive quantities of food, I gained over a hundred pounds in less than a year. And since you are already a binger, bulimia will worsen the habit and the binges will become bigger and more frequent. And then you might tire of purging, like I did, and gain 100 pounds as well. And I've heard of many people who have the same story to tell.

Last edited by HarpoChicoGroucho; 08-17-2006 at 08:00 AM.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #8  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

HarpoChico gave you "the great lecture", so there isnīt something to add from me. Just the tiny advice: donīt believe in that "I am powerful!" feeling!!
Itīs a bad, bad trick because you are just the opposite. Itīs like with every other addiction: you feel powerful and great the first time, maybe the second, and then you start to be powerless and something rules your life. And this something is going to be worse with time!

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote