Simply Filling/Core - Core Support Board for Week of August 15 through 20, 2006

Vickie
08-15-2006, 07:07 AM
We were supposed to start a new board on Sunday! Here's some new pages to write on.

septembersgoal
08-15-2006, 09:47 AM
:lol: That's so funny that no one even noticed for two days.

It's already a cruddy day at work this morning. I walk in and get bombarded with demands and other junk. I'm really done with this place. I'm praying fervently for a new job!!

Hope all of you have a great Tuesday.

Katpo
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Good morning, Melissa! Thanks for the new pages, Vickie. I really think having a weekly thread will help us keep up with things better, and also help out those who are on dial-up.

Not much happening here; I'd better get to work since it looks like everyone else is busy and I'm slacking! :lol:

aghiowa
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Good morning ladies! I don't want to make Kathy feel bad, but yesterday's weather was absolutely AMAZING! It was cool (like high of 82), breezy, beautifully sunny, and clear blue skies. Wow. Gorgeous. As I was outside hanging up my laundry, I just stood there, enjoying it. And then someone shrieked "Mommy!" and I had to stop, but still. :lol:

We're driving out a camp this morning to check it out as a location for our church women's retreat. I think it'll work out great.

Dd #2 (the one headed to Kindergarten in a week :dizzy: ) is about to lose her first tooth. She's not sure about the blood aspect, but she so wants to be "big" I think she'll be OK.

And, on the gaming front, I am really enjoying not playing during the day. I have SO much free time. :lol: I did just get invited to a high-end raiding guild (which means nothing to you guys) but it's pretty prestigious. The neat thing is, they raid after my kids go to bed, and I only have to play like 2 times a week.

Anyhoo, I need to get going so we'll be ready to go on time.
Later ladies,
Angela

Katpo
08-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Too late. TOO LATE! However, I will not begrudge anyone their nice weather; I'll get some one of these days. We do have four seasons here but they are: Sorta Hot, Really Hot, Scorching Hot, and Christmas Day.

Angela, a high-end raiding guild??? Say it isn't SO!! :rofl: You're right, I have no earthly idea what that is but it sounds mighty impressive!

I really must get cracking on my water drinking. I have been really bad.

Oh and the report on the bread is this: I made four small loaves and two large ones, and brought one of each to work. They liked the bigger one better because it was more dense. The difference is that it didn't rise as much for some reason, and I baked both batches for the same amount of time but I think the smaller loaves didn't need that much, and I wrapped the large loaves while hot and that retained a lot of heat and thus increased the moisture. Other than that, the actual recipe was the same. Next time (tonight?) I will use a stout Guinness. I'm getting this recipe nailed down and then will stop experimenting with it.

Back to work...

RoseB
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi girls, I am just waiting to go pick up our 10 year old granddaughter to take her shopping for another outfit for Build a Bear. It all the rage here in Canada for the girls to have these bears with their outfits. I am sure you guys have these stores also. We are keeping her for the night as her brother has gone with his friend to a Condo on the water.

Vicki, I know what it is like to worry, hubby says if I don't have anything to worry about then I am worried that I don't.:) My Mother also used to say not to worry until the day it is suppose to happen then you can worry for just one day. Easier said then done, but it does help.

Melisa, I hope you are able to get another job, it is stressful for you where you are.

Angela, how was the Camp for the Womens Retreat? Our Church is taking a group to T.O to hear Billy Graham's daughter speak.

Kathy, let us know which loaf turns out to be your best. Do you come home from work and bake? :chef: I think you will have to tell us what Vitamins you take:)

Sandra where are you this fine morning, glad to hear you are back on track. You are doing so well, 20 lbs. wow.

Saundra have a great time in Picton this weekend. Our son is coming this weekend. We were going back to the cottage but we will wait until he goes home

Waving to the rest of you and a big welcome to the new gal Stacey. Jump in and enjoy these gals, I am enjoying the chatter. They are real nice gals. It takes a while but you will feel part of them very quickly.
Blue Skies,
Rose

Katpo
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Rose, if you are able (sometime soon) I would really like to see pictures of the cottage and surrounding area. It sounds really beautiful there!

The Build-A-Bear thing started after my kids were grown so we never did it, but I'm sure when the grandkids (okay, IF there are ever any!!) come along I'll be taking them there. We have one in the mall here but since I don't go to the mall, I've never been in the store.

I do go home and bake; usually after I've made dinner and while I'm cleaning up from it. I don't have help at home and so if it gets done, I have to do it. I usually get home from work between 6 and 7, then cook, clean up and do my laundry or other chores while I'm getting things ready for the next day, go to bed around 11 or 12, get back up at 5:30 or 6 the next morning to start all over again. Oh, and I don't take vitamins. ;) I've tried several but they all make me feel weird.

Judd has requested macaroni and cheese with broccoli tonight. I have several boxes of whole wheat rotini and packages of FF cheddar, so I'll probably make a big enough dish so that we can have it tomorrow night with a different side dish, and I can bring it to work too. I was going to make mushroom lasagna but he wants this, so the lasagna can wait. Salad is already made.

Okay, back to work!

RoseB
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi again: Well you must have something going for you as you sure seem to be able to get things done.

If you would send me your email address I will send pictures. You can send it by private mail if it suits you better. I am just learning to send pictures but I was successful in sending them to Sandra and Saundra.
Rose

ontarget
08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
hi, chickies. last night after the club meeting, curtis and i stopped at famous dave's to get a cup of soup. we changed our minds before we got through the front door. he had fried catfish fingers, cup of beans, pecan pie and ice cream. i had the appetizer rib tips. it was a lot of food. we called this our treat. sat when i ate 32 pts, i never ate anything "good." i was craving something special. the rib tips took care of that. plus, i have a tummy ache today from eating them.

kathy, i copied your recipe. it sounds wonderful. i'll make it soon.

melissa, by all means go apply for that job. life is wayyyyy to short to be unhappy.

rose, how are you doing today? are you feeling more satisfied? it's not quite 20 yet. more like 18+. we were at the archery center this am. curtis was coaching a young man we met there. we just finished lunch. i had pinto beans, sliced onion, jalapeno, and a polenta cake. life is good.

angela, our temps are good, too. however, we have a lot of smoke in the valley.

vickie, i'm sending good vibes to you and jim today. i hope he qualifies and is chosen.

p.a.
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Afternoon chickies,,,,
thinking good thoughts for Jim and Vickie today....
Melissa I hope that new job comes soon....
Rose your cottage sounds like a wonderful place to be. Build A Bear sounds like so much fun for the kids too
Sandra Ive never heard of rib tips?
Welcome Stacey!!!
Im sort of off next week before we head back to work full time again. I have to put in 9 extra hours in the next two weeks..shouldnt be too hard. Then dh and I are off to visit both dd's for youngest Dd's 19th birthday. Cant wait to see them again. Heading out labour day weekend. Im hoping to hit another farmers market that way. (northbay area)
Off to make a burger for supper here..
ttyl

ontarget
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
patti, i think they are just very small pieces of ribs. there really wasn't a lot of meat on them, but i got full.

sounds like you will be busy for awhile. i'm glad you're getting to see your dd's.

Vickie
08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey Chicks! We're home and VERY disappointed. Too many people showed up. We left the house at 6:00...3 hours before the beginning of auditions. But the town was so far away that it took us almost 2 hours to get there. We were in the thick of traffic going to O'Hare. I should have known better.

I drove because Jim was a little nervous. We finally got to the lot and it was full. They said there was no where else to park. We tried to park in a college but they wouldn't let us in. We ended up parking in a steak house restaurant parking lot that was closed today. We walked back a mile and a half to the place and got in line. It was the ugliest kind of walk; no sidewalks and very uneven terrain next to the highway. I was VERY hot and sweaty and trying not to complain. We stood in line from about 9 until after 12 when they finally realized that there were too many people. We were standing outside in the blazing sun (it wasn't that hot but the sun was intense). I was actually sweating standing still and I hardly ever sweat, not even on the treadmill. Kathy would have thought it was a cool day! Of course, today, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. There was no place to sit and no shade. It was at one of those jousting places called Medieval Times. I thought we would be inside in a big line. I never dreamed that we'd be outside. And then there was the walk back! We even heard that people flew in for the day since the audition was close to O'Hare! So we got home around 2:00 and had a bite to eat and a nap.

I was SO hot! Jim is just fried in every spot that was exposed to the sun. He hasn't been out in the sun at all this year because of the shoulder surgery. I'm even burnt and I have a bit of a tan from the pool. I never thought about sunscreen because I thought we'd be inside this huge castle in a big old amusement park line. I couldn't get cool when I got home and after my nap I really felt sick. So I told Jim I was hopping into the pool. I ended up being in the pool for an hour and a half. It REALLY lowered my body temperature and I feel much better now. Jim said he saw steam from the pool after I jumped in!

Anywhooooo.....so much for our dreams of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. If it comes back to audition again, we'd do it much differently. I'm gonna go sit with Honey Lamb now. He said he really wanted to win the money for us. I told him we'll go to the boat. Why do I feel like we deserve something nice after all of this?

I hope you all had a great Tuesday. I'll be back tomorrow.

aghiowa
08-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh Vickie, that stinks! I'm sorry you guys didn't even get to try out. :( At least it wasn't really hot...heat exhaustion/stroke is nothing to monkey with.

Angela

Katpo
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Terrible disappointment! I'm sure you're both mentally and physically just exhausted from the whole day! :hug:

Yes, I would have probably enjoyed the temps though. I see where the high was 81 there today; it was 104 here with not a cloud in sight either. I could really stand some 81 degree weather, especially since we're usually hotter than that for the LOW of the day (overnight). Stinks, huh?

Get some rest!

Froufy
08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Vickie - sorry to hear about the non-tryout - what a bummer - and you would think they would provide some shade/benches - do they really expect people to stand outside in the hot sun for 3 hours plus? Sounds to me like you did get a bit of heat stroke but glad you were able to cool off in the pool.

Kathy - we all know you are amazing - and we love you (and hope you will send us some beer bread! :D - but really that crack about the 'stout' ale was really uncalled for! LOL)

Melissa - sending good 'new job' vibes your way - if anyone deserves it you do! Definitely try for anything and everything - you never know what might happen!

So Angela - this raid of yours - is it like a panty raid?:D:D (do we get to run thru the boy's cabin and grab all their boxers??? - like we really want to do that? NOT!)

Saundra - weekend weather report is fabulous and I know you will have a great time in Picton!

We are supposed to have warm sunny weather for the next 5 days (today it was clear and windy in the am but quickly became overcast with big ominous gray clouds by noon).

Was on a most boring course this morning - okay it was necessary but really what could have taken maybe 1 hour took over 4!

And it looks like (keeping fingers and toes crossed) that I may have finally found a replacement for my staff member who left - young man from Winnipeg - sounds pretty chipper and all references good - now trying to get him here by Sept 5 - which will be challenging - I already NEED him as I am pretty lost on my own - don't realy know what I'm doing (but I can sure fool 'em)

Went to the gym after work and had a very good workout - but did have a slice of pizza at home - however did not overeat or go crazy which is good. I had a bit of a headache when I got home - took 2 ES tylenol and now feeling better but so tired! Really need to get to bed early - but I am dreading dd's return home.

Dh has gone to pick her up from friend's house and she is already asking me about going to some concert tomorrow night - frankly I just want to tie her up and I'm tired of fighting and arguing w/her about concerts, etc. She sure has a hard time understanding she is only 14 and I am her MOTHER so I get to say what goes.

I know as soon as she gets home she will up here in a flash - first asking nicely then the whining, crying - possibly some door slamming and who knows what else - frankly I am so tired the thought of this makes me want to cry!

25 DAYS TIL SAILAWAY - and that, my firends, is what keeps me going!

Frouf

PTAPrez238
08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the "welcome"s. They all made me smile. I've had another really good day. This morning on the way to drop my older daughter (15) at a babysitting job, she asked if we could stop to get her a muffin instead. We went to the supermarket that has great baked goods. Knowing I didn't have too much for breakfast at my office I thought about getting a low fat muffin. Then I told Nikki it wasn't worth the points and I'd only feel guilty, so I went and bought a fresh box of Shredded Wheat and Skim Milk for the fridge and knew I did the right thing.

Vickie, I'm sorry you had such a hard day. They had American Idol auditions in New Jersey yesterday and people were camped out for 2 days before they needed to be there. I guess everyone has a dream. I actually know Katharine McPhee from last year. She roomed with my niece at college in Boston for a year.

Rose, my younger daughter (9) loves Build a Bear. It's hard to get out of the mall without something for one of her stuffed friends.

I'm going to finish watching the Yankee game with my dad. He lives with us and its his 76th birthday. He rocks.

Talk to you again tomorrow.
Stacey

Katpo
08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Happy birthday to your dad, Stacey! I hope the Yankees win one for him tonight!

That's pretty darn cool about Katharine. We are huge Idol fans here and have discussed it thoroughly for the last two seasons!

You know, speaking of that ... do you guys realize that next month it'll be two years since we started Core together? Time has FLOWN!! (Oh and yeah, why aren't we at our goals yet??? :lol: )

Back to watching House. I'm straightening my hair during commercials. Didn't make bread tonight but I did go buy more dark beer (this time got the real Shiner Bock) and I opened a bottle so it could go flat. I'll make some tomorrow. I think I'll have to start giving it to the neighbors to get rid of it. Judd loves it; he has been eating it for breakfast. I am going to add a teeny bit of flaxmeal tomorrow but don't tell anyone. ;) Earlier before I got home, Shaun's recruiter came over to drop off some paperwork and Judd gave HIM a loaf!

Oh and I'm making more yocheese tonight -- this is the strawberry. I am using Kirkland's Swiss-style lowfat yogurt and will take it to work Thursday with the new bread. I think strawberry spread will be good on the dark bread.

Nighty night!

sauniemay
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Vickie, so sorry to hear the disappointing Millionaire tale. I know Jim would have proved himself. Remeber though, you have eachother which is the best!

Kathy, so glad that your having yochee fun. The possibilities are endless. I wouldn't dare have homemade bread around here, it's a red light food for me. You're strong.

Frouf, thanks for the weather report, I'm really looking forward to our getaway. I can't believe how close your cruise is, WOW! Hope Emily doesn't upset you too much, don't let her push your buttons.

Stacey, you made a great shopping decision. Hope your dad had a wonderful day.

Melissa, did you ask about that job??

WW was crazy busy today. When it was almost closing time, I had three separate ladies come in who wanted to join. It takes a lot of time to process, but I got through it. They all raved how great I was..I just wanted to lock the door and go home. I left a half an hour late...no pay. I got a call from the office asking me to take another shift, and i said "no". I just don't want the responsiblity.

Okay, off to watch House for me too, pleasant dreams.....

ontarget
08-15-2006, 11:59 PM
vickie, that's terrible. of course you and jim should go to the boat. you deserve a fun day for sure. i'm so sorry this happened.

frouf, hang in there cruise day will get her shortly. be tough about those concerts. i understand being tired of the battles. i would be, too.

way to go, stacey. you are a strong woman. one of our grocery stores has fabulous baked goodies, too. i feel empowered when i'm able to just walk through with my buggie unloaded.

kathy, you could prob retire and open a bakery. and a yocheese factory, too!

saundra, good for you. i'm proud you could say no to another shift. i know that's not an easy thing to do. you're a good person helping those ladies.

i went to w a tonight. we had a fantastic workout. i'm feeling great--a little hungry, but great. i try not to eat anything this late so i'm done for the day. last night i had those rib tips sort of late. can't do that 2 days in a row.

septembersgoal
08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Morning gals. I can't stay but wanted to say hi. Last night my dad randomly asked us to come over for dinner--very out of character. So we went and I'm a day behind on exercise and getting pc stuff done. Oh well, it was an interesting evening I guess. I've got to run but I hope that you all have great days. I hope I have one too come to think of it. :)

Mattandgabbysmom
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Good morning ladies, I am pleased to report that everyone is feeling almost back to normal. Can you believe I had took out 4 dvd's from the library last week and since we where all sick I forgot about them, I took them back yesterday and I had $20.00 in late fees, they charged a dollar a day for each dvd my mouth just fell open:( I have to tell you I got the most beautiful evening gown new with tags on Ebay, price on the tag was $229.00 I got it for $9.99 ,with shipping it came to $20.00 I just love deals:D I am really looking forward to go to the wedding on Saturday, I am going to mention to dh for us to spend the night at my moms house, she lives about 25 minutes from the reception, if not we will have to drive over 1 1/2 hr to get home with the children in the car, I am sure they will be sleeping, I just get nervous it being late Saturday and alot of peopledo drink & drive, I have seen it before, I even called 911 on my cell phone to report a drunk driver, he kept side swiping the divider, that was very scary.

Kathy how is the yocheese maker working out, was it a good investment. I am going to try out your beer bread, I am sure dh would love it.

Vickie what a bummer, so sorry you had to deal with that long wait and the heat. Hope you are feeling better.

Stacey welcome fellow Long Islander, Great decision to not get the muffin, doesn't it feel good. Go Yankees!!

Froufie is this what I have to look forward to when dd becomes a teenager, I am scared, really scared :) Is it a girl thing or do boys put you through the same thing. I am coming to you for advice, By the time my kids are teenagers you will be a pro. I hope she didn't give you a real hard time last night :hug:

Saundra I hope you got some rest and is feeling well rested after working at ww.

Sandra I hope your belly isn't hurting from the rib tips. I just love rib tips from the chinese restaurant, they make them so good, can't have them in the house I will pick on them all night.

Hi Ruth, welcome back. I would love to see the pictures of the cottage.

Angela please tell what is a raid party, I like froufies idea of one ;)

Melissa good luck with finding a new job, it is terrible when you work at a place that makes you unhappy.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Good morning, all! Niki, great find on the dress! I also love a good bargain and buy lots of my clothes on ebay. When I search, I always put NWT in the description because if I'm going to buy used, I have to see it first. I buy my jeans at the beginning of each fall/winter season at the local thrift store for $3, which reminds me that I should go look.

Well, this batch of yocheese isn't all that great, because there was no whey! Nothing to drain at all, so the yogurt is just sitting there in the strainer. I guess Swiss-style is like that; I'm going to dump it out tonight and put in some flavored non-fat regular old storebrand yogurt. I am determined to make some strawberry flavored to bring to work tomorrow with the new batch of bread. I think it was worth it, Niki -- this morning for breakfast I had a poached egg, and a slice of my bread toasted and spread with the plain yocheese and some all-fruit blueberry jam. It was quite delightful although I had a heck of a time getting the egg to poach because I used the wrong skillet and the water didn't come up high enough to the poacher. Oh well. It finally worked.

106 is the high today. What's new, huh? I hope everyone is having better temps than us. Nothing else to report here, but I'll be back in a while. Oh except I might sew this weekend because I found a stack of fabric in the little door in my dresser last night and some of it looks like good stuff for aprons. We'll see ... Judd has a bike ride on Saturday morning and fantasy football draft all day Sunday. I should be helping Shaun with his rooms but he has had six months to get them in shape. If it's not done, that's not my problem (yet). After he's gone and I get up there to take a good look, you might hear me yelling.

aghiowa
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
:lol: Niki, a raid party is nothing like Froufie suggested. It's where, online in World of Warcraft, you and your guild get together, and go to a big scary dungeon and kill really bad monsters, and when you do, you get really neat stuff. These two raids I'm going on take 40 people and an amazing amount of concentration and luck, so I'm a little nervous. Imagine!

The camp we visited yesterday will be perfect for our church ladies' retreat. It's actually a camp for disabled children/adults, so it's very accesible. We have a few members that are disabled themselves, and some very overweight women who have mobility issues, so this will be perfect. It's also challenging because we have women from 18 to 80, in all walks of life. But I think it'll be good. We will still get the feeling of camping and being out in the wilderness, but people should be fairly comfortable.

So here's a timeline of how I want the retreat to go... (because I'm sure you all want to know! :lol: )

4:00 pm - I arrive, get thing set up
5:00 pm - they start arriving
Dinner will be sub sandwiches and sides/desserts will be potluck. Our cabin has a kitchen, so we will be able to store any leftovers.
7:30 pm - (when it's dark) Faith Walk
I have a beautiful dramatic reading about women over time all having the same song in their hearts yada yada, which I think they'll really like. And remember my sister who went to Berklee School of Music in Boston? I have her writing a song just for the occasion. The "walk" is on a paved sidewalk and it's less than 1/4 mile I think, so people should be fine, and we'll go slow. We'll then end up at a fire pit surrounded by benches.
8:00 pm - Testimony Meeting - this is where the women can share their faith and grow together and all that jazz, around the fire.
9:00 pm - S'mores and singing around the campfire
9:30 pm - back to the cabin for games, talking, and snacks (dinner leftovers basically)
Morning: whenever people wake up :lol:
Breakfast will be bagels with various flavors of cream cheese, OJ if it's warm, hot cocoa/spiced cider if it's cold, and fresh fruit.
10:00 am - crafts (very popular)
11:30 am - people gather up and leave
noon - I clean up and leave

Sound good? I just want to make it special, because it is quite a bit of money. I think our congregation could really use some togetherness, as a lot of people are shy/busy.

Well, time to get on with my day...

Angela

Vickie
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I slept right through the night. I asked Jim when I got up if he got the license number of the truck that I was run over by!

Kath, it was actually 85 where we were and standing on the black asphalt made it even hotter! I had to laugh....it made me sound like SUCH a wimp that I was complaining about how hot I was at 81 degrees!!!! I am SO out of shape that walking that mile and a half each way was way worse than a mile and a half on the treadmill. I was overheated, sweating and red faced by the time we even got in line. Anyway, it's over and on to the rest of my life!

Jim has PT today and tomorrow and then he says he's done. I'm not sure what he'll do when the therapist asks him why he isn't staying longer. I'm going to get ready with him today and go to Catherine's (my favorite plus sized store) today while he is at therapy. They have a double and triple perks sale for a couple of days starting today. I love to get there on the first day and snag all the good stuff. I don't have a winter coat so I'm looking for one of those. Long tunics and leggings are back in style. Good Lord, I'm afraid to buy any because it took me forever to give up my addiction to them. I carry much of my weight in the stomach but my legs are not that heavy. Tunics and leggins would hide much of my problems. Maybe I should just enjoy them for the season!

Ok, I read everyone's posts but I need to go do a few banking things. Then I'll come back and respond.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1372278&postcount=39

Here's the yocheese/blueberry pancake recipe that you posted, Saundra. I went ahead and moved it into the breakfasts so we wouldn't lose track of it. It sounds really good!

RoseB
08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Good morning all: Matt and Gabby's Mom, do you mean me. You said Ruth and I wonder if you are talking about me. I am Rose and if you do mean me send me your address and I will send out pictures of the cottage etc.

Kathy did you received the pictures that I sent to your office? Hope so but I am not the best on the computer for sure.

Well, our grand is still here. We got her two outfits for the Build a Bear and she was so excited. We are going to McDonald's for breakfast. I had my breakfast at home as I do not care for the breakfast at McDonald's. Of course kids do ,and she is a skinny gal so I don't mind taking her. We took her to Tim Horton's for a sandwich and Chili last night and she loved it. Probably only you Canadian girls know "Tim's.

Angela, your Church get a way sounds good. What Church is it puts it on?

Well hubby just called they are ready to go, the tummy calls for them.
Blue skies,
Rose

Mattandgabbysmom
08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I am sorry Rose, I don't know why I called you Ruth, guess I Had a Lucy moment :D :D :D I will send you my email address, thank you, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Vickie
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Melissa, nothing would make me happier than for you to find a new job. I'll pray on it too! I hope you enjoyed your dinner with your Dad. At least he's making an effort.

:D Angela said it was cool at 82! Hahahahahaha.....it WAS blazing in the sun....I swear! I'm SO glad your not feeling bad about not playing your game. It would be hard withdrawal for me if I had to give up this site. I think your plan for your retreat sounds amazing. I don't think the walk it too far. Everyone will be begging to go every year. What a great tradition to start.

Kathy, I had to LOL at your description of your seasons. Poor thing. The bread sounds just amazing. You are making me drool! I'll spend my points on bread and spread EVERY time. I especially like dark bread with a chewy crust...or not! Will you share the recipe one more time once you perfect it? I could see me wanting to try it once when you're all done. I think the tips about the size of the pan and wrapping are important ones. Do you have a Core recipe for macaroni and cheese? I'd love to have that.

Rose, I'm glad you're enjoying your summer. Ah...if I could only learn to worry when it's time or when I can control the situation, I'd be SO much better off. The same has been said of me. If I'm not worrying I'm worrying that I'm not!

Sandra, Jim and I LOVE rib tips! One of our downfalls before our healthy eating began. I'm impressed that you went to water aerobics. I just love the water!

Patti, have a great visit with DD!

Frouf, I'm very glad that you found a staff replacement! What great news for you. I don't blame you for dreading DD's return. She was quite a handful right before she went to her Dad's house. Congrats on getting yourself to the gym!

Stacey, that's a GREAT non scale victory on the muffin this morning! Good for you! We're looking forward to getting to know you. Ohhhhh....you're a Yankee fan. We're fighting you guys for the wild card!

Saundra, make it easy on yourself. You are supposed to be retired and enjoying yourself!

Niki, I'm glad you're feeling better. The dress sounds fabulous and what a GREAT deal!

I'm on the phone with the Niece so I'm gonna go for now.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Yep, Vickie -- I have a Core recipe for macaroni and cheese that has broccoli in it. We really like it a lot! It's one that came from SlimFast and I use FF cheddar instead of the low-fat they listed in order to make it Core.

Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli

1/2 chopped onion
2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
3T. olive oil
2T. flour (omit for Core -- I didn't even know the difference with it not there)
1T. black pepper
3 cups skim milk
1 cup whole wheat rotini
8 oz. FF cheddar

Chop onions. Defrost broccoli, if using frozen.
Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute´ until soft.
Stir in flour and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add milk gradually while continuing to stir. Reduce heat to low and add uncooked pasta.
Cover saucepan and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in broccoli and continue to simmer for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until pasta is done.
Remove from heat and add shredded cheese, gently stirring until it is melted.
Pour mixture into a small casserole dish, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

I will most certainly repost the bread recipe after I am thoroughly pleased with it. I'm not a trigger-food eater ordinarily so having the bread hasn't messed me up. I ate a small slice this morning and it was plenty.

Rose, I did get the pictures and they are just spectacular! I love them! Now when are you going to invite us all up for a visit, hmmm? :D Enjoy what's left of your time up there this summer.

I missed Frouf's post somehow -- going now to find it! BBL!

PTAPrez238
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Vicki,
Sorry to disappoint you, the Yankees are 3 games ahead of Boston right now. We play them 5 times this weekend so lets see what next week brings....LOL.

Niki,
Great buy on the dress. I buy my younger daughter old Pokemon games on Ebay. She loves to watch the bidding. Where on LI are you? Nassau or Suffolk. I'm 43 with 2 daughters and work full time at my brothers law firm. Nepotism is alive and well in NY.

Speaking of which, I'm typing at work so I better get back. I'll stop by later. Have a great day in the meantime all. :comp:

sauniemay
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, Kathy, so what happens to the rest of the olive oil???

Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute´ until soft.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Okay, wait a minute. :lol: I had to use a recipe converter because the original was only one serving. I changed it to 4.

BRB!

Katpo
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Uh ... drink it? I have no idea! I looked at the original version and they never even mention the other teaspoon! I'd saute the onion in the whole amount of oil. In the original, there was only 2 T of chopped onion instead of 1/2 cup (to serve 4) ... make sense?

Mattandgabbysmom
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Stacey I live in Suffolk County, I am 41 with a 6yr old boy & a 3yr old girl.

Froufy
08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Well here I am a very tired lethargic Froufie today. Was up at 4 am - just pondering and worrying and thinking about what had to get done - then a few bathroom visits - a drink of water - and finally fell asleep on the loveseat in our alcove of bedroom! Obviously got to work a bit late - but at least I got here!

That build-a-bear thing just opened in the big mall near our house and dd is positively salivating and advising ME that that is where she is planning to have her birthday party? I don't even know if they do that? And we're talking 15 years old!

As for the 'concert whining' I REMINDED her that she was planning to go to dance class tonight (they have classes every wed during the summer and she has yet to attend) - open class $12 - she said she changed her mind - and I said she had made the committment and should go - besides she needs to get back into practice! (Did I mention the COMPULSORY dance camp she must attend next week in order to remain in the competitive program? Mon - friday 6-9 pm $200! - and that after being in camp all day - she doesn't seem to be fazed by this!). Will see what happens tonight!

Rose - sounds like I also need to see those pics - I sure feel like I am missing something now!....and my dd also loves Tim Horton's! (those chicken wrap things).

Angela - that dungeon visit sure sounds scary - do be careful out there! And as for the camp retreat - I missed the part in the schedule that says - 'sit around campfire telling scary stories and roasting marshmallows' - I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part???:D

Kathy - hope your new batch of yocheese works out! And I am preparing myself for the sounds coming from your posts after you have 'viewed' Shaun's room - I certainly hope you have advised him of how you would like it to be left?

Vickie - glad to hear you did not get run over - and I am jealous of your great bargain hunting adventure - sure hope you get some new and pretty stuff!

Speaking of which anyone heard of the brands "Torrid" or "One Step up"?? I am looking on ebay to get a black camisole - the kind with a bra built it (god knows I couldn't go without one) - want to wear it on formal night on cruise under my black sequined blazer (ooo la la)....they are selling for around $13 US (plus shipping) and not sure if one brand is better than the other??? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180016824317&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

As for my 'new hire' - of course another fly in the ointment - says he has to 'think about it' for a day - then an email today about his manager leaving (which no on apparently knew about) and so he would be acting in that position - and now he might not be able to come over.....well just shoot me now I say!!!

So I called his 2nd level mgr to 'discuss' - and basically finally got her to admit if asked she would say NO HE COULD NOT LEAVE - even tho this young fellow has been wanting to move to Ottawa for over a year! So know we are playing HARDBALL - yessiree - consulted w/my mgr - and she is also freaked out about this - and we will try and deploy him if required (this requires no one's permission or signature - just his willingness to accept the offer). THIS MEANS WAR! We are tired of all our plans to rehire falling thru - so take that!!!

I am waiting a bit before I call him back to shmooze him up a little more - geez this is not in my job description!!!! ha ha ha

Frouf

ontarget
08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
nikki, that's a good idea getting the dress on ebay. we're going to a fall wedding in texas. i may look for me one. i'll wait till i see what size i'll be, though. it's the end of november. i'm hoping to have some more lbs off by then. and the rib tips? i asked for a takehome box. when it came, i told the waitress i didn't need it afterall. i just kept picking and picking and picking.

kathy, how many days in a row now for 100+*? it's starting to be like 1980, isn't it? this is hard to explain but when it's high 80's up here, it is hot. that sun is very intense. i won't go out much during the heat of the day. that reminds me of being in texas. like i said, it's hard to explain why 80ish is so hot up here.

angela, the retreat agenda sounds good. can i go?

vickie, i used to wear leggings and long tops. do you watch what not to wear? they really talk against them. well, they might be in favor of them again by now. i'm not sure. i used to wear stirrup pants and i had them in just about all colors. of course, i wore the black ones the most.

rose, good morning. well, i guess it's afternoon now, isn't it? i can tell you're having fun with your grands. that makes me smile. my weight was down another lb this am. life is good.

it's cooler today but extremely smokey. there are several fires around but the biggest (almost 7,000 acres) is around (and maybe at) the place we were looking to buy. we're thinking we'll prob stay put in town.

aghiowa
08-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Frouf, if memory serves, One Step Up is a store brand, JC Penny I think. Anyhoo, I've had some of their stuff (mostly maternity) and it's of OK quality. It won't last you forever, but for a few wearings, should be fine.

Angela

Katpo
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Sandra, I think they said this morning it was day 30. And they changed the high from 106 to 107 -- I guess when it reached 107!

Stacy and Clinton would NOT be pleased with all the long shirt/leggings talk today. Not at ALL! :rofl:

ontarget
08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
107!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay in the house with the a/c flowing.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
I decided to add my temperature thingy. It only shows 100º right now -- the high is usually around 5-6 so we'll see what it says then. Hopefully it won't get as hot as they said it would.

sauniemay
08-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Gee Sandra, looks like it's cooling off in your neck of the woods. I'm now hearing that it will be nice here until Saturday, which is a bit of a bummer, but you never know.

Kathy, I can't imagine enduring that kind of heat for so long. I bet there are a lot of folks who don't venture out of their houses. You gotta wonder about the human facotor in all of this. Are we partly responsible????

Frouf, sounds like you're ready for war. I'm sure that eventually everything will turn out for you. DS is now in French training. It will be full time until mid December, and he's liking it a lot.

Niki, do you have a picture of the dress? You did good!

Vickie, hope your shopping has been a success. I went into a high end store near home and bought 3 pieces, regular $250 for $75, a pair of white capris, a blue hooded cardigan, and a very sexy top which will be for Mexico. I get braver when we're in the tropics.:D

Angela, your retreat sound super. IMO, we (women) don't do enough of that kind of thing, great idea!

Rose, have fun with the grands. Dave and Natan are coming for dinner tonight. We'll probably order in.

Melissa, hope they day is going well today. Glad you had time with your dad.

Stacey, looks like there's going to be some baseball competition around here. I'm liking the Tigers.

I went into the grocery store around the corner to discover that they now carry my favourit organic yogurt and of course it's now turning into YoChee. I guess everyone is getting tired of the word by now.:)

RoseB
08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Glad you gals are enjoying the pictures, Froufie if you send me your address I will send them to you. Then you will see I am a real person, I feel bad that I do not give much information about myself on here but I explained why when I first came on.
Rose

p.a.
08-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Afternoon chickies,
Saundra, I wanted to ask you what brand of yogurt do you buy?? I can do the coffee filter thingy, but not the yocheese maker. No kitchen stores around us. Id love to try it..I saw the recipe for taziki and I love that stuff. The dips sounded pretty good as well.
Vickie,, aww, I was disappointed Jim didnt get to audition,,that really sucks, and to go thru what you did,,,uuugh. Next time.
Sandra, those rib tips sound yummy! Good going on passing up the leftovers.
Angela, ohhh,,,that sounds like fun!! Are you going to join? I love your retreat idea. Sounds so relaxing and rejuvenating!
Froufy, he must be good if they dont want him to leave. Thats a good sign!
Keep after him..
Waving hi to everyone else!! Hope your having a great day
As for the legging and long tops,,I love them, but way too short to wear them!! And I think thats Stacey's point! haha

ontarget
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
yo!! cheese!!! saundra, i like reading about it. our temp is cooler, but there's so much smoke in the air. there are no shadows outside and it looks a lot darker than normal. we'll all be glad when these forest fires are out. this has happened every year i've lived here. just part of summer, i guess.

patti, :lol: i didn't have any lo's to worry about. i ate all of them while we were still there. but i didn't eat any sides or anything else.

melissa, how's your day? did you check on that job close to your mom?

RoseB
08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I was just checking to see if the pictures went ok, it all looked good except they did not turn out in the order I said they were in. You guys will be able to figure it out I am sure.

Vicki, I was disappointed to hear about the Millionaire I was thinking I would love to see Jim, and to win money. I guess there are a lot of people trying out for it. I watch it every day, love it.

Well have to go and think of something for supper.
Rose

sauniemay
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Patti, I use Organic Meadow. It costs a little more, but it is very nice. I started making the YoChee with a cone coffee filter and covered the top with waxed paper. I put the filter in a funnel on top of a large beer glass. It actually worked well. Good luck.

Sandra, so sad about the fires. B.C. got hit really bad a couple of years ago.

Natan finished his dinner and Dave and Bernie have gone to pick ours up. Then, grandpa takes Natan out for ice cream. We're so blessed.:)

Mattandgabbysmom
08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Here is the dress I got on Ebay the Jacket has black beads, it is really beautiful.

sauniemay
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Niki, it's gorgeous, enjoy! In my day, we would stay at a hotel after the party.:D

septembersgoal
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi friends,
we have come home to find out that our AC is not working. Great. And poor Murphy in the house all day with no AC. Lucky we aren't at Kathy's house!! It was actually pretty nice here today so the house didn't get too hot (but it's still hotter inside than outside now). I'm just :crossed: and praying that the entire unit doesn't need to be replaced.
Just catching up with you all, I better go see what's going on.

Niki, that dress is beautiful!!

ontarget
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
nikki, what an awesome dress!! you're going to be gorgeous. how about photos?

rose, what did you have for dinner? we had ff hot dog/chili/diet bread/ff cheese/onions; then i had 2 killer brownies. i'm stuffed.

melissa, welcome to the joys of home owning. i hope you don't have to spend a lot on your a/c and you get it back on pronto.

saundra, sounds like natan's having a wonderful time. (and so are ya'll.)

Katpo
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Evening, goils! Melissa, you HOT MAMA! :lol: I'm sorry to hear about the a/c! Geez, you guys don't need THAT right now!

I finally got home from work, started my bread, then I left and went to get the kids something to eat. I made Judd the mac/cheese/broccoli but they don't like that. Shaun doesn't like Chicken Express but Erin does; Shaun finally decided on Taco Bell (I forced him to tell me SOMETHING! HE HAS TO EAT!) but if I got that for Erin, it would be nasty by the time she gets home from work around 11 tonight. And ... since I haven't had anything waiting for her in the last few days, I thought I should have something, so I got Chicken Express for her. Three different meals, but thank goodness I only had to cook one of them! And Chicken Express and Taco Bell are right next door to each other, so that was no big deal. I am trying to force food down Shaun because starting next Monday, he's going to have to EAT when they say EAT. As it is, he eats maybe once a day -- still in the habit due to living in an apartment all those years and not really being able to afford much food. Sad when you think about it, that he had to train his body not to want too much because he didn't have the money to feed it.

Judd has gone to ride his bike and will be home around 9. I started my bread when I got home and let it rise while I was gone for food, but when I got home ... no rise. Hmmmmm. I'll give it a little while longer but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll bake it anyway but might have to throw the whole thing out. I noticed that even though the beer was supposed to be flat (due to being opened for the last 24 hours, you'd think that would do it!) it bubbled when I poured it in, and the Fat Tire the other night didn't. Also, I had to add what I thought was too much flour just to get it to not be tacky. And lastly, I dissolved the honey in the warm water and THEN put in the yeast, when I should have done it the other way around but at the time, I thought maybe it would be okay. Live and learn, huh? I've been making bread for probably 25 years and you'd think I'd have it down by now. I just keep getting tired of the recipe I was using and move on to something else. Maybe I should start back at the beginning and find those OLD recipes! For about 5 of them, I used a bread maker, but it died and I couldn't find another exactly like it. I tried a few others after that but they just weren't as good IMO, so I abandoned the whole bread maker idea and went back to hand kneading. Why am I telling you this? Oh yeah, my bread might not work tonight. Oh well.

I ditched the YoChee with the Swiss style yogurt and will make sure I don't use that kind again. Even tonight, 24 hours later, there was no whey. I'll put just a bit of the large vat of strawberry that I have and see if it works before wasting the whole 32 oz.

Time to check on Judd's dinner again ... I'll check back in a while.

Katpo
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh and Niki, I LOVE the dress!! It's awesome!

Mattandgabbysmom
08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks, I will try and get a nice picture of me & dh at the wedding to post.

Froufy
08-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Niki - I agree the dress is fabulous - you will look SPLENDID!

Kathy - I don't know how people even go outside? I bet if anyone's ac broke down it would be horrible! sorry about the beer bread - Hope it works out in the end!

Well will all this talk of yocheese I just might have to try it out - Patti let me know how the coffee filter method works for you!

Did not go to the gym today as I am supremely tired and had to drive dd to dance class - yes she decided to take the 6:15 sr jazz class - and returned home in a pretty good mood - I find the dancing does that for her! she doesn't realize ALL of the benefits yet. Gearing up for intensive dance classes all next week!

Instead of going home while she danced I went to the mall to 'shop' - still looking for a black bra (ya right) - found an off white one which I already have in white but I love it (the pretty flowers one by warner) and ON SALE - 1 left in my size - discount rack - from $40 to $27....then 50% off - can't beat that!

Then off to the drugstore to get dd more allergy meds and bought myself some CREAM makeup! yes given the new airline restrictions I realize I won't be able to take my usual makeup/lip glosses on the plane! All my foundations are 'liquid' or tube as is my concealer and lip stuff - I understand 'hard tube' lipstick is now allowed - I have one - but I usually wear the cover girl long lasting types! - and I had the brainstorm of getting cream/compact foundation - found a great packaged one by Revlon - age defying (ya I could use some of that :D) - two section compact - with small section of concealer and larger section of foundation w/sponge - this should work out - I sure hope they don't make me chuck it!

Then there's the whole no liquids allowed thing - of course I usually travel with a water bottle but I guess that's not happening - and recent comments indicate much chintziness with airlines only having those small miniscule glasses mostly filled with ice and maybe 3 oz of liquid? And when asked if one could keep bottle or can - told no - those were only for first class!!! Can you believe this?????

So I am planning to pack my (empty) insulated mug in my carryon and will politely ask flight attendant to fill 'er up - let her try and deny me my liquid!!!

I did have a run in with some potato sticks today - not good - and a very late dinner due to the shopping expedition - today was also a very bad water day so need to improve on this for tomorrow!

And not only am I having hiring difficulties but did I mention that my DATABASE IS CRAPPING OUT!!! Yes I finally check the email address provided on the weblink - and I find SEVERAL complaints from potential applicants (one pretty rude) about site problems etc! NOT GOOD - have been in touch with our computer dude who has escalated this to top priority and should be fixed by noon tomorrow. I of course will need to do some damage control and contact the cranky people and apologize for any and all computer glitches.

I tell you that cruise can't come fast enuf! (and I am now seriously trying to devise a fool-proof stowaway plan so I don't have to come home!!!)

Frouf

Katpo
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
HOLY COW, VICKIE! DID YOU SEE OUR FIGHT TONIGHT!!! I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK!!!

Well, it was a long time coming between the Rangers and Angels. Our pitcher (some dude, Feldman) hit that batter right square in the back and there was NO reason for it. This spare throws side-arm and he's been getting dangerously close to the batters the whole series. Kennedy was batting and good grief after he was hit, he charged the mound and it was ON! They were all swinging after that! The game is now stopped and I'm sure a whole lot of people are about to get ejected! We're up 9-3 with just one more out in the 9th, but still ... I'm surprised they don't stop the whole mess!

CRAZY STUFF!

Frouf, you had quite a day, huh? Between the employee and the database and no black bra, a potato stick run-in, and carryon woes ... you need a little break! I'd go have some YoCheese if I was you. :lol: You'll like it, I'll bet, so you should get the little box. It'll be worth it. I'm thinking that spread would be good with the smoked salmon slices on bagels too. I bought some peppered smoked salmon the other day and am waiting for a good opportunity to try it.

Off to keep watching the fight. The game hasn't resumed YET! Oh wait, they finally restarted it. I'm sure SOMEONE is going to get suspended and fined!

RoseB
08-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi: Time for bed but thought I would say, your dress is beautiful, it will be so slimming. You will feel like a million dollars in it Niki.

Sandra you asked what I had for supper. 1/4 cup brown beans, glass of milk, pumpkin pie ( you know the 1 pt. piece) bread with 1 tablespoon pb. Not very exciting, I just did feel like eating a big meal.

Froufie I am going now to send the pictures, hope they go okay.
Rose

Mattandgabbysmom
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Froufie, I have tried the coffee filter and it worked great, the yogurt drained really well and came out very thick.

PTAPrez238
08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Good morning all,
I'm here at work and drat, boss show's up early. I can't hate him too much since its my brother....LOL. How do I make the Yocheese? I see all the posts but must have missed the recipe. Sounds like something I would enjoy. Made some boneless, skinless chicken thighs with cornmeal last night and brought one for lunch today with roasted veggies. Thank heavens for a microwave. Anyway, I'll stop by later. Hope you all have a great day.
Stacey

Vickie
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I can't stay but wanted to say good morning. I've got a million things to do today and I have to be ready to leave by 10:00. I've got to eat and shower yet. I know I'm very far behind but I'll have to catch up after dinner tonight.

I hope you are all well and doing great on program!

Froufy
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Good morning chickies!

Kathy - yup I obviously need a dose of Yocheese to calm me down - heck spread it on some beer bread - actually forget the yocheese and just give me the bread (don't even get me going on the smoked salmon) - heck forger the bread and just give me the flat chubby beer! (ha ha ha and I don't even drink beer).

Vickie - hope you get all your errands done today in record time! Is it still pool weather for you?

Thanks Rose - will check for the pics when I get home!

I am just feeling tired today - I think the lack of sleep the night before is catching up with me??? Is that possible - like a day late? I am wearing my NEW (ebay quacker factory purchase) pink/mauve lemonade shirt http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130009695076&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 - it is so cute!!! It is part linen - dh ironed it for me this morning - but after a ride in the car you sure can't tell - glorious weather today by the way!

I think what is affecting me is return of my co-worker friend - she has been away for a couple of weeks in California - her father was very ill - and finally passed away. As soon as I saw her I ran to her gave her a big hug and started crying - she was teary eyed too (I think I was more upset than her) - told her how very sorry I was - so here we are standing in the hallway hugging and crying. I basically had to leave to go back to my office and compose myself. I am starting to cry again just writing about this.

So here's the problem - I do want to go talk to her and see how she's doing but I just know I will start getting teary eyed again and very emotional (I think cuz my dad passed away I know what it's like?). Maybe I shall just sit pretty and wait and see if she comes to 'visit' me in my office?

Getting hungry - time for a snack???

Frouf

ontarget
08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
morning, ladies. we're up getting ready to head out for awhile. it's raining out so we are waiting as we have a lot of archery gear to unload in town.

kathy, i like the 2x2 challenge. it's very very motivating. thank you for starting it here.

frouf, i hadn't even thought of how to take makeup on planes. can we still take liquid makeup in a check in bag? that's a good idea about taking your own mug.

rose, your dinner sounds good to me. we don't often eat big night meals either.

good morning, stacey. sounds like you're chipper today. enjoy your lunch.

vickie, did you go shopping today or have you already been? i know you are getting some gorgeous clothes.

frouf, sometimes we need to just hold our friends and cry together. you two will figure out the best way to do this. your shirt is cute. i need to go shopping. i put myself on a budget. that makes me feel good in some ways but bad in others. oh, well.

ontarget
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
frouf, a lane bryant bra sale ad just showed up on the right side of this screen. :lol:

Mattandgabbysmom
08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Good afternoon, I am typing and feel crossed eyed. I am listing the clothes my kids don't fit into anymore on ebay, I have been sorting clothes since 9am and I just did my sons, I still have to list my daughters. Thiis so time consuming because I usually put the clothes on ebay in big lots and I describe each piece.
Better get back to work, will check back later

ontarget
08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
that sounds like a good idea, nikki.

i just got from the mall with 2 new swimsuits. the good news is i got them 75% off and a smaller size that i'd thought i'd need. the bad news is -----err there's not any. :lol: unless you count the fact that i would like an even smaller size.

p.a.
08-17-2006, 07:43 PM
haha ..too funny sandra. I had to read that a few times, I thought you meant there was no bathing suits..by the way thanks for telling me about bootcamp buddies..they have great recipes there!!

Hey chicks,
no more little kiddies for two weeks now...I still have some hours to put in and a trip for work though. Its still a break.
It sure has been nice here lately..the other day I was reading on the patio and fell asleep...ooops. Dh sure laughed, he does it all the time.
Thanks for the new 2X2 challenge Kathy,,thats a great idea to get some of us back on track...
Great idea Nikki!
Angela Im sorry i cant see your dress...
Saundra I cant get organic yogurt here but I will look for gelatin free. there is a kind called Balkan style..wonder if that would work.
waving to everyone else....
ttyl

ontarget
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
patti, your patio looks like a very relaxing retreat. no wonder you fell asleep.

ontarget
08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
kathy, i see you're at 102* right now. i hope that heatwave soon breaks.

Katpo
08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Sandra! LOL! I had to do a double-take when I saw that -- I thought you were talking about my tracker! :rofl:

It's supposed to be this hot until Monday, when it'll only be 101 then. There's a slight chance of rain on Monday but it probably won't be here. Today's high is 106, tomorrow 105, Saturday 103, Sunday 102, and Monday 101. After that, who knows?

A few more people have died from it, and the fires are continuing. They aren't quite as bad as they were over the winter (remember that house that burned down in our neighborhood? It was on Jan. 8!) ... but there isn't really an end in sight right now.

Thanks for the well wishes though. We need it!

septembersgoal
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi all. Just stopping in to say hi and good night. Sorry I'm so far behind. I'm trying to work on pc stuff and I'm super tired on top of that. We did get the AC fixed today, thank goodness. It wasn't that hot but it was definitely warm enough.
I hope that you all have a great night.

Katpo
08-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey, Melissa! I was just wondering where you were!

Get some rest.

ontarget
08-18-2006, 01:22 AM
kathy, i hope the heatwave ends soon. i know you're all miserable and also tired of staying indoors.

melissa, it's good to see you here.

vickie, i hope you had a good day shopping. i know whatever you buy will be gorgeous. did you get a new coat?

septembersgoal
08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for missing me. :)
Another busy day here. But TGIF!! I will be catching up with you all this weekend. The youth service we were going to do tomorrow night got cancelled (thank goodness) so we just have to do the school thing in the morning, and my dad and his family are coming over on Sunday.
I'll talk to you all later!

SANDRA!!!!! I just saw that you are at 179????!!!!!!! Did I miss this announcement? You go girl! Breaking into the 170's!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!! :woo:

p.a.
08-18-2006, 10:53 AM
:woo: :high: :balloons: so proud of you Sandra!!

Katpo
08-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Wow! Sandra -- I also missed that! You are on a roll, girl!!!

And sadly, we aren't able to stay indoors! :( Still have to go to work, schlepp to the grocery store and take groceries to the car, then to the house, go outside to water, potty the dogs, mow (still gotta mow no matter how hot), get the mail, run errands.

This morning I was BACK to 142.8, up a pound from yesterday, so I guess I'll change the ticker back and then stop messing with it mid-week. I was so glad to see 141 again that I just jumped on it too soon.

I hope everyone has a great day! I have another long one at work today, then a whole lot to do when I get home. It stinks being gone all day and then having to squeeze a normal amount of errands into the few hours from 7 til midnight PLUS cooking dinner, cleaning it up, doing my housework, and then doing what *I* want to do. I guess that's why I don't have much time left for sewing or gardening. Maybe someday...

Vickie
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Good Morning Chicks! Yesterday was busy and then it got busier! Aside from all we planned, we ended up going out for an impromptu dinner with my Niece/NIL, Sister/BIL, and baby Sarah. The other two kids were with the NIL's Aunt. It was fun. :D

I found 3 cute tops at Catherine's but no coat. All they had out so far were fall coats and they won't be warm enough for winter. I'll have to wait a couple more weeks, I guess. I need to go through my closet because I have no idea what fall/winter clothes I have left from last year. Sadly, they will all fit. I was so hoping to be down by now. I have no one but myself to be disappointed in.

No swimming weather for me for at least 4 days and even then the pool water will be cold. Oh Well.....nothing I can do about it.

I'm going to go read about all of you now.

PTAPrez238
08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Morning everyone,
Another busy day at the Law Firm. The office manager is on vacation so I have to pick up the slack. I wonder if I can yell at my brother without getting fired :bomb: LOL. My family (hubby, 2 girls and dad) are going over to his place tonight for a Birthday Bash for Dad. It will be the first time all summer all 5 Grandkids will be together. It should be a blast. I've saved lots of points for anything not Core! Big baseball weekend for us. We play Boston 5 times starting this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed Niki. Better get back to work. I'll stop by again later.
Stacey

p.a.
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Morning chicks,
Dh is off for a couple of days now so I think we are going to go rock hunting... Im putting a rock garden in the back yard next. Tomorrow is our church yard sale and then a baby shower. Sunday will be a day of rest..haha
or more rock hunting, who knows?? Have a great weekend everyone

Vickie
08-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Saundra, you are making such great memories with your grandkids. I only had one Grandmom growing up and she was always old. Natan will never forget all the things you and Bernie do with him.

Niki, that dress is absolutely gorgeous! It REALLY was an amazing deal, wasn't it? I hope you do post a picture of you wearing it. We'd love to see you. I tried to talk my Niece into listing the kids clothes on Ebay. She buys such expensive items it seems like she should get something back for them. I guess she feels she's too busy. I wouldn't!

Melissa, I'm SO glad you got your AC fixed. I hope it wasn't too expensive. Ours is the original from when my house was built in 1991. I'm always holding my breath because I heard they only last 15 or 20 years. I'm trying to save for a new heater/AC unit now.

Sandra, are the killer brownies the ones you gave me the recipe for? I still have looked for the brownie mix. I'm craving chocolate. Must be because I'm on my hormones now. I'm on a shopping budget too. I need to stop now! ;) Ok, I read and reread your message about the swimsuit and I must be supremely dense :o because I don't get it. Can you pm me with out the spaces? :D

Frouf, I don't know how you and Kathy survive your kids! I'm glad DD is acting better after going to dance. Whatever it takes, right? Could you consider packing your makeup in the luggage to be checked? I'd go crazy if I had to throw away expensive makeup.....and they will make you throw it away! I feel the same way about the water though. I always travel with a huge bottle of frozen water. I'm sure they will be more accommodating now because of the restrictions. I hope your database is performing better this morning. Think what you could have missed out on because of the malfunction. I hope you're feeling less tired today. I bet no one even noticed with that cute Quaker Factory top you were wearing! How is your coworker today? Did you two get together later yesterday?

Kath, I DID see the fight! Word in the baseball world is that Padilla is the one starting all of the problems. You know Padilla drilled Pierzynski with a fast ball twice in a row in the same spot on his elbow in the same game with us. Jim follows all the teams and said that Padilla hit one of the Angels on Tuesday. So maybe the teams are all thinking that Padilla is out of control. Retaliation is a big part of the game. There was that whole story about Ozzie Guillen being mad at one of our young pitchers because he didn't come in and hit one of your guys like he was told to do after Padilla was hitting Pierzynski. People think baseball isn't deep but I love all the intrigue and strategy!

Stacey, can you tell that I don't follow things with other teams as closely as my husband? I didn't realize the Yanks were in first. He's a White Sox fan AND a baseball fan....I'm a White Sox Fan! At this point, it will take a small miracle for us to repeat again. Good thing I believe in miracles!

Patti, enjoy your break! I fall asleep sitting straight up....and I'm never embarassed. Jim and I used to sleep straight up sitting on the train to downtown. Gotta get those naps when you can!

Angela, how's it going? I haven't noticed your menu. Usually that means you are struggling. Anything we can do to help?

Ok....I'm off to do my banking. I'm sure I'll be back to check on you all later.

Vickie
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Stacey, enjoy the birtday party and the kids. It's not often I can root for the Yankees but this weekend I can! I forgot to tell you that I have close family in Jersey, most of whom are Yankee fans. We've been teasing each other for many years. It was the best baseball year of my life!

Patti, have fun hunting rocks. Where do you even go to do that?

aghiowa
08-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi all! I'm now enduring yet another sinus infection. I went back to the dr yesterday, and got my usual antibiotics, a refill of my steriod nasal spray, and a referral to a nose doctor for mid-September. I'm glad we're finally moving on this, because I'm really tired of dealing with infection after infection. As far as my eating goes, I'm doing OK, but since my antibiotic makes me queasy the first day or two, I eat what I can stomach, whether it be Core or not.

I have a pint of blueberries in my fridge that are just sitting there. I need to do something with them quick. I'm thinking either a quick bread or this interesting blueberry sherbet recipe I found. I'll give the recipe here...I'm wondering if it would turn out if you used Splenda and ff sour cream...

Blueberry Sherbet
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed

In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients; cover and process till smooth. Press through a sieve; discard the blueberry seeds and skins. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 cups. Can also be made with raspberries or strawberries.

I think I'll try it with Splenda, and give you all a report on it tomorrow. :)

Later,
Angela

Froufy
08-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Angela - sorry you are sick again - but I agree that hopefully the referral to the other doctor will put an end to your miseries. The blueberry dessert sounds delish - let us know what you think!!!

By the way forgot to mention the other day that my brother went to Berklee as well!!

Vickie - I couldn't even bear looking at a winter coat yet - I am already depressed when I go into the stores and see all the 'dark' fall clothes already in - and have to go to the very back for the summer sales rack!

Of course I will pack my 'regular' makeup in my luggage - but I am anticipating a delayed/lost luggage situation at O'hare and want to be prepared in case that happens - which may mean no access to makeup/toiletries - so I am preparing my carryon with 'acceptable' replacements just in case. My final dilemma is mascara - seems 'liquid' mascara is not allowed - and I'm told that means a tube? Like is there any other kind (like that cake mascara from the old days? I don't think so!).

The issue also becomes challenging on the way back - on cruises you need to pack up your luggage the night before and leave it outside your cabin by midnight to be picked up for unloading in the morning. Which means you better be WELL ORGANIZED and not forget to leave out clothing/essentials. Again there are some products to be used in the am which will be liquid - so need to have an empty spot or outside pocket in luggage to you can transfer prior to airport checkin! So much to think about!

Kathy - poor you - I can't imagine doing all that - and esp in the heat! People must be dropping like flies - I sure hope the heat wave ends soon! Is Shaun packing up yet???

Patti - enjoy your time off - I think a nap on the patio is a wonderful idea!

Niki - good luck w/your ebay sales - One day I too might attempt to actually sell something - I am a good ebay buyer tho!!! :D

Stacey - the party sounds like fun - hope everyone has a great time!

Well good news is seems we have come across with some moving $$ for my potential employee and the option of deploying him (which means no permission needed from his superiors). He is now investigating relocation cost and will call me Monday morning - at which point if all goes well he can give his 2 weeks notice!.

I am still feeling tired - dh and I went out to dinner and movie last night as I just feel so mentally tired and needed distraction - japanese food and Scoop (woody allen movie - cute but not outstanding - good rental if you like woody). Then home and to bed earlier than usual - still had trouble getting up this morning - throat a bit raw? but we think it's from the BRAND NEW ceiling fan - you know those rotating fan with lights? SIL got a new one for her son's room and 'offered' this (used) one to us! (and it's blue and matches our bedroom). We actually have no 'fixture' in the bedroom (besides bedside and desk lamps) so this was great. Unfortunately dh was up at 3:30 am and asked if he could turn it off - too much 'wind' on him! ha ha ha

and tonight is TRIVIA GAMES NIGHT at my cruisemate's place - we are so well matched that we both love trivia and are looking forward to winning those chintzy gold plastic trophies on the ship. So we have organized a games night - and invited some of our co-workers to attend (6 are coming) and snacks/drinks provided (I hear there will also be a chocolate fondue!).

I don't think I shall go home after work - need to drop my fancy/sequin blazer off to finally get sleeves shortened and will mosey around before heading over to party around 6:30 pm!

Wish me luck!

Frouf

RoseB
08-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Foufie, did you get the pictures . I am not the best at the computer and I hope they went okay. Everyone else seem to get them, but I did mess it up as far as saying what they were etc. I got them out of order.
Rose

Vickie
08-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Angela, I'm SO sorry to hear that you have another sinus infection. That's horrible! I guess it's time to get it taken care of, huh? It's amazing that your eating is ok, considering the circumstances. Good for you! The recipe sounds good. I'm sure you could use splenda and FF sour cream. You might have to reduce the liquids though since both are more runny. What about the blueberry lemon Core muffins? They used at least a cup of blueberries.

Frouf, I think they mean the actual "gel" kind of mascara and not the Maybelline great lash kind that I use. Is there a TSA website you could check that might have a list of acceptable items? You're like me. We could definitely travel together. I have the plan AND the backup plan! My fingers and toes are crossed that you get the employee you want. Shame on those folks for trying to keep him hostage. It's always been my experience that it's better to let folks leave. Keeping them does not make for a happy, productive employee! Have fun with your trivia tonight. Jim still seems sad. I kept the list of everyone's strengths so we can try again next year. But.....back away from the fondue. Sugar is NOT your friend!

I'm off to cook dinner now. We are going to try eating our big meal early and just picking later if we are hungry.

ontarget
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
hi there, chickies. this is one happy chicken here. i hadn't been talking much about being in the 70's because it wasn't official. however, (drumroll, please) :drum: today at ww i weighed 178.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dropped 3 lbs this week to get there so that took care of the 1 lb gain i had last week.

thank you all for your love and support. you are all a very important part of my success.

melissa, i'm glad you're going to have a fun weekend. curtis and i are redecorating our downstairs bathroom. i am finished with the prep work. now i need to buy red towels, etc. that's the fun part.

kathy, my sil in the austin area is having an influx of scorpions in her home. are you having any problems? she's having the exterminator come. my bil got stung 2 times yesterday. i hate scorpions. they scare me to death.

vickie, i'm going to go through my closet today or tomorrow. that's one of my plans on the "to do" list. i was wondering where you were yesterday and last night. i kept looking for your shopping report. i'm glad you and your family had a good time out. i envy your relationship you have with your family. i miss that here in montana.

stacey, you're smart to save your wpa's for the special occasion. have fun and enjoy every minute.

patti, you and hgtv have inspired me to do more around the house/yard. i'm already thinking of what to do outside next year. i know i'm planing more honeysuckles. i love the smell.

vickie, the killer brownies are the ones i posted. i am making mine with regular brownie mixes now. i can't find the carb monitor ones any more. i think the atkins craze is over. i just look for the ones that look lowest in calories and use them. so far that's working for me. this time i also added 1/4 cup walnuts. i put 1 walnut half on each top of each serving. curtis said he'd like more walnuts, but it ain't gonna happen. 1/4 cup is 5 pts. so i don't think that's too much to split 20 ways. let me know if you make them.

vickie, here's the website that popped up when i clicked on the lane bryant ad that's on the side of my screen right now. http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/lb/product_landing/new_cacique_landing.asp

angela, i'm sorry you're sick again. i'm glad you're going to a specialist. i don't know about the ice cream. have you thought of freezing them and making a sorbet?

frouf. can we see a photo of that sequin blazer? it sounds gorgeous. i'd love to see it.

hi, rose. i'm glad you're still here. i miss you when you're away at the cottage.

well, i'm off to look for some red towels. have a terrific friday,everyone.

Froufy
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Congrats Sandra - you are just melting away - good for you!

Here's a pic of the blazer I found on ebay- not that good tho - but you get the idea - black blazer with sequins on lapels and pockets and fancy button.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quacker-Factory-Black-Sequined-1-Button-Blazer-3X_W0QQitemZ280018205529QQihZ018QQcategoryZ63879QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I got the 1X and it just/barely fits - the button a bit tight on my tummy (but I usually wear blazer open anyways) and good incentive to lose more weight! ha ha ha

Good luck with the remodelling and shopping for new accessories!

Okay I am assuming scorpion bites are not fatal? Or are there poisonous and non-poisonous scorpions? I would absolutely freak out if any of these critters were in my house!!!

Rose - have not checked my home email yet (too tired last night and not home tonight) but I will let you know once I log on! Thanks!

Vickie - on the TSA website they list liquid mascara as NOT allowed as carryon? and many cruiser pals are indicating this means mascara in a tube? esp gel? I hardly think the security people will care whether your mascara is gel or other when you show them the tube - and they will probably make you chuck it! I shall simply pack my mascara in my checked luggage and if need be buy another one in Miami if luggage does not appear on time??? (I tend to use expensive mascara and no way would I risk losing it! Just splurged and bought a VERY WATERPROOF MASCARA and eye shadow (in wild pink of course :D) from Sephora so I can wear it while out on the beaches!)

I am so tired - mostly mental exhaustion I think? I was even considering going home and napping before the trivia games - but a) I probably wouldn't fall asleep b) everyone would be bothering me and c) I am not a good napper and tend to wake up very groggy and cranky so this would not be a good thing. Shall go to the mall - drop off blazer and shop (still on the hunt for that hard to find black bra!) and grab something to eat (japanese?) before heading to Andrea's place!

Frouf

P.S. Just browsing ebay and found this outfit - like I need more clothes - but it's very froufie-like - what do you think??? http://cgi.ebay.com/Quacker-Factory-2-pc-Paved-Seq-Tunic-Palm-Tree-Crops-1X_W0QQitemZ120019684385QQihZ002QQcategoryZ15807QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P.P.S Never mind - they won't ship to Canada!!! :(

PTAPrez238
08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Congrats Sandra!!!! :cp: Those little milestones are as important as the big ones. They always give me incentive to try harder.

Froufy, I like the outfit. It reminds me of an outfit I wore to a Dinner Dance last year.

Getting ready to go to my brothers. Have a great night everyone.

Mattandgabbysmom
08-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi Ladies, hope everyone is having a great day. I just finished putting my kids shoes & sneakers they outgrew on Ebay. They wear the shoes once or twice and outgrow them. I live near A Outlet center, which has Stride Rite,Oshkosh,Tommy Hilfiger,etc....So the stuff I sell is mainly name brands, which people love on Ebay.
I am so looking forward to this wedding tomorrow, It is going to be alot of fun. My hair finally grew out enough for me to get it fixed from my last disaster haircut, so I went on tuesday and the girl did a great job, I cannot believe they charged $50.00 for a trim and blowdry, I don't have super thick long hair, my hair is just touching my shoulders, I think I am stuck in the 80's & 90's pricing, that is when I worked in a salon. At least I like it!

Vickie, the dress definitely was a great deal, very happy with it and it does look nice on. Your niece should sell the clothes, she would make some money doing it.

Froufie, I also thought all scorpions were poisinous, yuck I would freak out also. You sound like me, I don't go no were without my makeup, I also like expensive mascara, right now I am usind estee lauder. They will make you throw it out, you should put all your make up in the check in bag. The blazer is very pretty! Good luck, I hope you get the employee you want!

Patti good luck rock hunting, I love rock gardens!

Kathy I hope you are getting some rest & relief from the heat!

Sandra congratulations, you are doing excellent!!!

Angela hope you feel better soon, it is good you are going to see a specialist!

Stacey my fingers are double crossed, have fun at the party!

Katpo
08-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Sandra, we don't have bugs inside because we have an exterminator come every three months. I would fa-REAK if I saw a scorpion in the house.

Well I'm home from work (going in tomorrow though) and now I'm trying to decide what to do for dinner. I could cook the fish and broccoli that I planned, but Judd just called his friend to see if he wants to go riding bikes tonight. We're waiting until the friend calls back. Meanwhile ... I wait. Should I cook for just ME? It's pretty labor-intensive, this thing I was going to make. But if it works out, I'll post the recipe for you.

Anyway, Shaun just left for his last night out. He'll be home tomorrow night because we are getting him ready to go all day Sunday.

ontarget
08-18-2006, 08:17 PM
frouf, that jacket's going to look great on you. i freak out at scorpions, too. the ones in texas aren't fatal. i've seen movies that had huge black ones that were. i always have nightmares after seeing them. curtis likes the red rug/towels i got. i can tell he's been watching hgtv, too. his comment was "it makes everything 'pop'." he thought of a picture he wants to hang on an empty wall. now this is the guy who used to be super conservative and thought of extras as clutter. i'm loving it!!

thank you, stacey and nikki. i'm close to halfway to where i'm going.

nikki, you'll be gorgeous at the wedding. folks may not look at the bride.

kathy, i'm glad you don't have scorpions. my son has an exterminator regularly, too. that's the only way to go. shaun's time to leave is almost here. is he getting anxious?

PTAPrez238
08-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Good Morning All,
It's a beautiful day in NY! The Yankees took 2 from Boston. :clap: (Yeah I know I'm obsessed) And the party was great. I shared a wonderful bottle of Italian sparkling wine with my brothers' beautiful lady (who I adore), got to see my 2 nieces and my nephew (who leaves for college next week) :cry: and had some yummy healthy food. Ok I did have a few pretzel chips with dip, but then I had grilled chicken, shrimp kabobs, corn on the cob, and barley with mushrooms and onions. I feel great.

Niki, We love to walk around Tanger. We used to go there once a year when we lived in Brooklyn, now it's only about 30 minutes from us. I think we're going to shoot out there soon for some school clothes. Have a great time at the wedding.

Froufy, How was trivia night? I'm a geek for games and puzzles.
Does anyone ever play at Pogo? I'm addicted.

Anyway going to finish my coffee and enjoy the use of the computer. My older one will take control of it soon enough. :coffee2:

Talk to you all later.
Stacey

Katpo
08-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Good morning, all! We're having another scorcher -- the high today will be 105 and still no sign of rain anytime soon.

Stacey, you're in good company with the baseball talk! Vickie and I are big fans too and you won't find us complaining at all!

(See, I'm just sad that you're a Yankees fan but I guess someone has to be, huh?) :rofl:

Well, here I sit at work but what I came to do didn't take me very long and I'm already done. I had to draw some lightning bolts on a graphic -- from the satellites to the different planes, from planes to the ground, from ground back to the satellite -- you get the picture. The graphics program is proprietary, and created just for this program to interface with the trainer, so it's pretty uh ... I think "awkward" is the only word that applies. Anyhoo, I finally got it and hope it suits the Air Force, who will be in here testing next week. ALL week. Ugh. I hate it when they come to town because it means Judd has to schmooze and entertain, which costs me a lot of money and I also have to do animal chores in the morning because he has to get to work very early to get right out on the test floor. Oh well. I'll live.

Let's see, what else? Yeah, Shaun is getting ready. Tomorrow we're going to finalize the packing and make sure he has all his razors, shampoo, deodorant, etc. They said don't bring anything else because you'll buy it there, but they also take like $450 out of your first paycheck to cover it. That seems like quite a lot to me for t-shirts and underwear and socks. Surely they aren't charging for his uniforms? Well, maybe so. I guess we'll see. Kate is coming to town to spend the night with her friend, and will be over tomorrow so she can tell him goodbye. That will be sad because those two get along much better than Shaun and Erin do.

I guess I'll go ahead and leave because I need to go to Barnes & Noble to get a book. There's a new plan I'm starting Monday morning (part of our two week challenge) ... called Fat Smash. It's basically this: for the first 9 days you eat fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, skim milk, beans and brown rice, egg whites, lowfat yogurt. After that you can add cold cereal, some artificial sweeteners, lean meat. I'm not sure how long that part lasts. Anyway, you can read the 3FC review here.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet_Book_Reviews/The_Fat_Smash_Diet/

I guess that's it for now. Hope everyone has a nice Saturday!

Vickie
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Good Morning Chicks! It's a quiet Saturday here. Jim and I are just running the sprinklers and doing some organizing. I'm going to eat breakfast in a few minutes and then I need to make a grocery list. I'm not sure whether we are both going or just Jim. I think he's enjoying driving again and running out for small errands.

Sandra, :bravo: to you for your 3 pound loss. It's so exciting for you to have that much success. You really do inspire me AND take away my excuses! :D I guess I just need to be willing to exercise and eat smaller portions. You should be very proud of yourself. I'm glad you're having fun redecorating. It's torture for me.

Frouf, the Ebay outfit is VERY you! I'd go for it if I could afford it. That would be a very nice dinner outfit. I hope you're feeling less tired today.

Niki, I'm glad you're happy with your hair. That is SO important to our well being. I pay $75 before tip for a cut/trim and color/wash/blowdry/style. Yours sounds high to me too.....I guess they think they can get away with it because your on LI? Have a SPECTACULAR time at the wedding and don't foget to bring us some pictures. I just know you are going to have a blast. :carrot:

Stacey, I'm obsessed with baseball too. There are worse obsessions to have! It seems as though you ate quite Core at the party. I'd love to have the barley/mushroom/onion recipe. I desperately need some non potato side dish recipes that my husband will eat.

Ok ladies....I'm off to make a menu thread and eat breakfast....or brefix as Julianna calls it!

Vickie
08-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Good Morning, Kathy. I'm glad you're getting out of there already. You didn't mention your other dislike of when the Air Force comes. Don't you have to dress up too? Ugh. Enjoy your trip through the bookstore. When does Shaun actually leave Sunday or Monday morning?

ontarget
08-19-2006, 01:40 PM
good morning. i'm trying to decide whether to weed the rosebeds or let them go a little longer. the weeds are growing so i need to make up my mind to just do it and get out there. guess it will be good exercise. :lol:

stacey, it's good to have you becoming a regular here. am i wrong or are all 3 of you chickies american league fans? are there any national leaguers here? i don't watch much baseball but am a rangers fan. when i was a high school varsity cheerleader coach, my girls won a competition and got to compete in a pregame show at texas stadium. nolan ryan pitched that night. i got to go up to the diamond vision room with the cassette tape that had the music the girls were performing to. i rode the elevator back down with governor bush. my girls were fantastic. that was a very very big night for all of us.

kathy, i know you have to be a little emotional this weekend with shaun's leaving. it will be both happy and sad for all of you. aren't you proud of him for taking this big step? give him a hug for me, too.

vickie, i'm feeling great. the added exercise had really made a big difference for me. yesterday's meeting was about making a change to help us. our leader asked each of us to make at least one change this week. right now i can't think of any to make. i think i've already done this the past few weeks. i saw a waterfall at walmart yesterday that looks real. it's on sale for $86 down from $115. i'm going to keep watching it. i'd love to have one out by our hummingbird area. (that's the kind of redecorating i really really like to do.)

have a good day all. the weeds are calling me.

septembersgoal
08-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Hello friends! Just jumping in to catch up reading and say hi. We've been to our school orientation event all morning and just got home. It's raining (sorry Kathy) so I don't know what we're going to do with the rest of our afternoon. I think I'll go to the store to get some PC supplies and recipe ingredients. :T If I find anything core I'll be sure to share. :)

Frouf, sorry they won't ship that outfit to Canada. It looks fabulous! I've always been afraid to wear sequins, but I think a cruise would definitely warrant some sparkle!

Kathy, glad you're getting out of work today. I'm going to read about that fat smash, that sounds interesting. Good luck getting Shaun ready...I know you'll be relieved to have things finally up and going.

Sandra, I'm still so impressed with you gf. I'm SO proud of you, and that we are no longer two peas in a pod. :D Maybe I'll come catch up with you and we can do that again. ;) Enjoy weeding today! Great exercise!

Stacey, I don't even know if I have taken the time to say hello!! Hi there! I promise you I'm a regular, things have just been kind of crazy for me lately. I'm so glad that you have joined us!

Vickie, I hope that you and Jim have a great, relaxing day. I'm so sorry that Jim didn't get to show his stuff off for the millionaire auditions. I hope that he tries again in the future.

Niki, have fun today!

Did I tell you all that DH and I are trying to find a fitness activity that we can do together? We aren't athletes, so it is kind of difficult. But he really wants to try mountain biking!! So I think we might actually do it. The only issue is $ for bikes, but maybe we can find some that are used or something. Of course we'll just start on trails and whatnot, but it sounds pretty cool. And good exercise of course. After our vacation we just decided that we really want to be more active, whether that's hiking or working in the yard or bowling. So that's a great thing.

OK I better get to doing something productive. I hope that you are all having an awesome weekend! :rain:

ontarget
08-19-2006, 04:03 PM
melissa, mountain biking sounds like a lot of fun. you two will enjoy that. have you looked in paper ads? garage sales? i'm sure you'll find something that's right for you.

we are still 2 peas in a pod. you and i are alike in more ways than just weightloss. (which you'll start doing when you get your bikes.) i think a big key to weightloss success is finding an activity that's fun and you can look forward to doing. sounds like ya'll are on your way.

Katpo
08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Melissa ... a word of warning. Don't let Judd go with you to buy your bikes.

He had a crash this morning on a road rally (charity race) and messed up his road bike. He has a newish mountain bike that he uses during the week on the trails, but on Saturdays he uses his road bike. Sigh ... so we just got home from the bike store and he spent $1,200 on a new one. Yep. He sure did.

We also went to lunch with the inlaws to Abuelos and it was very good. I had a big salad with fruit and shrimp and honey-lime dressing. You all know how I love my strawberry/lettuce/shrimp salads! :lol: When I get on a kick, sometimes I can't stop.

And this morning after work when I went to B&N to get my book, would you believe they didn't have any? Seems they're quite popular and they have trouble keeping them. The girl told me she could put me on a waiting list but didn't know how long it would be before they got more. I said that's okay, I'll keep looking. I'm going to order it from Amazon.

Vickie -- good memory, girlfriend! I *hate* dressing up! :lol: Normally we're so secluded and nobody sees us because we're in a secure area that you have to have special access to. There are only 50 of us who have the SAR clearance in addition to our secret clearance. But when they're here (and don't you know they're wearing flight suits -- jumpsuit type things that look SO comfy!) we're wearing business casual. We NEVER have business dress unless you're actually briefing or on the test floor, but then it's just ties for guys, dresses for girls. As it is now, I can get by with most anything ... capris included ... as long as it's not denim. I'll live.

Sandra, you have a point there! Yes, we're all American League unless we have someone who's a National League fan who hasn't spoken up! We have some tickets that we need to use up, so I'm sure when the Rangers get back to town we'll be going to a few games. And what COOL memories you have of that game! OMG! That must have been a great time!

Well, I'm going to make homemade pizza tonight. Regular crust for Erin and Shaun and whole wheat for Judd and I, so I need to go mix up the dough and let it be rising while I go to the store for a few things. I bought some strawberries this morning and Erin said that about half of them were bad. I should take them back but instead I'll just buy some more, but not from the same store.

Be back later!

ontarget
08-19-2006, 06:41 PM
kathy, thank goodness judd is all right. he must have gotten a cadillac-type bike. curtis and i have bikes, too. mine is a boomer baby bike. i bought it off an ad i saw on tv. it has automatic gear shifting. (and a big seat) :lol:

is abuelos a mexican food restaurant? i've never heard of it before.

Froufy
08-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi chickies,

Sleepy froufie here!

Trivia Games night ended very late! (like midnight!) but it was a blast! We played 'scene it' - a dvd tv/movie trivia game (that you play using your dvd/tv as it on screen) and Turbo Cranium (turns out I am a good actress and a whiz at spelling backwards - who knew!). I did have a hot dog and FRIES for dinner - but was not that hungry when the snacks appeared (veggies/dip, salsa/chips, cheese/crackers - and later chocolate fondue w/fruit and cookies).

Had lots of fun looking at Andrea's place she lives in the 1st level of what was once a 3 storey home - 100 years old - the rooms are HUGE and amazing - lots of wood panelling and even one of those old claw footed soaker tub in what was once the 'servants quarters'. The funniest coincidence was her taste in art - as I found 2 pieces made by same artist I have in my home - very freaky.

I also 'reviewed' her luggage and some formal clothing - she has a small rolling suitcase and rolling duffle bag - I would be hard pressed to get all my stuff in there!!!

I am feeling a bit drooppy today of course - was up at 8 am despite going to bed around 1:30 am - so at around 2 pm I was losing it - went to lie down around 2:30 pm and slept on and off til 5! I am still in my jammies - can you believe it! So nothing got done today but that's okay - it's a bit gloomy and just started raining - and dh is talking about ordering in chinese food!!!! I am not really hungry yet tho but feeling very dehydrated so must drink lots of water!

Niki - have a great time at the wedding! ...and I won't even tell you how much my hair costs!!!!

Kathy - keep cool, calm and collected - hope Judd's bike is one SUPER DUPER GORGEOUS THING!! Good luck getting Shaun ready to go.

Rose - never got the pics - altho I was having some computer trouble it seems!

Melissa - moutain biking or any other activity sounds like a great idea! Hope you can find something you both love to do!

Sandra - I too heard something - then realized it was the weeds calling your name! :D:D Hope you got rid of all of them.

Angela - how's the sinus infection? Hope you got some relief - been to any good 'raids' lately? :D

As for that sequin outfit - yes it would have been perfect - and I find it so amazing and disappointing when people won't ship to Canada - it's not like we're on another planet - or even continent! Harumphhhhhh..............

Okay - must find water...................

Frouf

ontarget
08-19-2006, 08:23 PM
frouf, i don't know why they won't ship to canada. the buyer pays for the shipping. doesn't make sense to me. sounds like you had a great time last night. i'd be sleepy, too. two grocery bags of weeds are no longer calling. i got one bed cleaned. the grands are coming tonight so i'm finished weeding for the day. i'll get back out there in a day or so just in case the neighbors start complaining about all the calling sounds.

septembersgoal
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi guys!

Kathy, I'm glad Judd is okay. I didn't realize that he was biking--I thought he was riding a motorcycle. I just didn't think about it. 1200--I can't imagine!! I'm swallowing hard at the thought of paying $150. :lol: Your pizza sounds great.

Frouf, glad you had a good time last night. I know you're going to have a great trip!

Sandra, great job on the weeding. That is hard work.

I'm so excited, I finally got my own PC website today. It's pretty expensive, but I'm trusting that it will pay off. I guess I can post it here...www.pamperedchef.biz/MelissaAustin
I'm getting nervous about doing my first show. I'm going to be around a whole lot of non-core foods, that's for sure. That's why I know I must up the physical activity, and counteract being around all that food! :D But I'll also be more active, and hopefully it will help release some work stress, so that will help too.

Katpo
08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I am checking out your website immediately, Melissa! There are things I need; as my family thinks I am "yeast obsessed" ... what with bread and homemade pizza dough and whatnot.

The bike is super gorgeous. Now remember that I have a $78 bike from Walmart! And yes, he does his motorcycle rides (rides to work several days a week, then goes on 80-100 mile rides about every third weekend) but he and his friend also do these fund-raiser bicycle rides in the summer. Seems like there's one every weekend. He has a skinned knee and a place on the inner thigh which will no doubt be a pretty bruise tomorrow.

And tomorrow. He has a day with the fellas ... it's fantasy football draft day! Woohoo. Not interested. Football is my LEAST favorite sport of all, maybe because of the Cowboys. We pay $85 to go watch a bunch of millionaires play a game??? Who's the dummy there? :lol:

Frouf, please excuse me, but actually I understand why people don't ship to Canada. I'm usually in a big hurry when I ship my ebay since it's not my principal job, and I'm probably on my lunch hour. To get in line, then get the forms, fill them out, get back in line ... no thanks. I always say U.S. only. When they make the mailing process easier, then I'll reconsider.

The pizza was a huge success. I let the dough rise twice, which made a better crust. For the kids, I put just pepperoni and cheese. For us, I used minced garlic, purple onion, orange bell pepper strips, sliced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sauce and cheese. Judd said next time how about no tomatoes or peppers? I'm fine with that! He is happy with just mushrooms and onions (and jalapenos, which I totally forgot) and said the crust was very, very good. I have the recipe if anyone's interested. With it being whole wheat and containing nothing but water, yeast, whole wheat flour, some sugar to activate the yeast (but could we use Splenda?) and 1 T. olive oil, how bad could it be?? FF mozzarella, sauce should be Core ... I mean, come on! It's a no brainer and a very good meal!

While the dough was rising I went out and pulled some weeds in the front flower beds. The grass is threatening to take over and every year I say I'm going to be better. This year, I just haven't wanted to go outside! I will work on it a bit every night though and keep it up. No reason not to. I can spare 15-20 minutes each night while dinner is cooking to maintain it.

Shaun has everything packed. Judd's mom gave me $20 to give him from her; for airport incidentals, etc. They're not supposed to take money but I think they mean a LOT of money. He leaves here around 1 p.m. Monday, goes to MEPS, where they do another drug test and then go to a hotel. They fly out at noon on Tuesday and go to Chicago, where they wait for all cities to arrive. He said they would probably be in the Chicago airport (O'Hare? Midway? Who knows?) until around midnight, waiting on everyone to arrive. Then it's a 45 minute bus ride from the airport to Great Lakes, where they'll start processing immediately and not be allowed to go to bed until Wednesday night. I say good luck with that.

Sandra, here is Abuelos (http://www.abuelos.com/). Means Grandfather in Spanish (you probably know that). There is one on I-20 in Arlington near the Parks Mall, and another in Hurst near Northeast Mall. I'm sure there are more in the metroplex, but those are the ones we go to. It's very good.

I ordered my book from Amazon -- hopefully I'll get it before the first phase of Fat Smash is over.

PTAPrez238
08-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the welcome Melissa. I feel very lucky to have found you all. The support is very important.

Well, my Yankees one the third of five games against the Red Sox today. I've been a fan since I was a kid. My dad and brother are both Yankee fans and when I met my husband (in a hospital no less) he worked for the Yankees. I used to visit him at the stadium and see all the players like Mattingly, Guidry, Winfield and Baylor. I have lots of autographs. A couple of times we've gone to games and our daughters wound up on diamond vision. They were so excited.

Vicki, I'll get that Barley recipe for you. She said it was so simple, just barley, finely chopped onions and mushrooms and lots of liquid. I'll get a more specific recipe and post it for you.

Froufy, I love Scene It. We have a couple of versions including Harry Potter and Disney. I actually won the TV version on a radio contest.

I'm going to play some dominos on Pogo and then read. My book club meets in 3 weeks and I'm only half way through the book. Have a good night everyone.

Katpo
08-19-2006, 10:16 PM
A few years ago we went on vacation to New York because DH's sister lived in Schenectady at the time. We visited them for a while, and went to Cooperstown during MLB induction week, and then we went to Manhattan for a week or so. We went to a Yankees game and it was GREAT! I loved the ambiance of the stadium, and riding the subway to The Bronx. The whole experience was very memorable and my girls still talk about it. We were there exactly a month before 9/11. We went to the WTC and it was freaky seeing it all on TV, especially since we had just been there.

septembersgoal
08-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh my goodness. I just typed a huge post and lost it. I'm such a doof.

Katpo
08-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Pooh! I hate that! And you're not a doof, it has happened to us all!

So now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to close the thread. We had just over 100 replies, which is about what I was hoping for in a week.

Join us on the next one!