PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 12:38 AM   #1  

Exclamation Trying a NEW BC Pill for PCOS-Yasmin

Hi ladies,

I am SO JAZZED about this. I am trying a new BC pill that is especially GREAT for us PCOS ladies. It is called Yasmin. They've been using it for over 2 years in Europe with EXCELLENT results. I won't start it for another 2-1/2 wks, but boy am I looking forward to it.

It is derived from yam-root. Imagine that. It has a mild dieuretic in it. Hmmmm

It's about $30 a month (less than my highest co-pay for other drugs). My doc is giving me 3 months to try out. She is very excited and wants to hear the results when I get them.

Here is what I"m hearing it helps with....increase hair on the top of your head, lower the wild hair growth everywhere else. NO PMS (I have heard studies of women using the yam-root progestrone for this anyways), decreased depression (moods), no breast tenderness and DRUMMM ROLLLLL.....aids in weight loss!!!!

Wow, what more can I ask for. Who knows how it will work. I know there is no miracle cure, but hey, bring it on!!

Yvonne
Old 09-06-2001, 05:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Sounds great!!

Wonder why I haven't heard of this one? Seems I've been on every BC pill known to man!! Let us know how this goes for you, I will ask my Dr. next visit.

Thanks for the info!!

Sherrie
Old 09-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #3  

hi yvonne!

this is the first that i have heard of this drug. so now i am very interested in hearing all about it. i definitely want to hear how it works for you & the side effects. i have heard of all of the natural progesterones that are on the market to help with pcos. is this a derivative of them? try & find out more info from your dr. is this drug that a dr must write an order for or can you buy it yourself? keep us posted!
janice
Old 09-06-2001, 06:57 PM   #4  

well yvonne-- my curiosity got the best of me. so i went & researched this new drug, yasmin. for anyone that is interested you can check out the details at www.centerwatch.com click drug directories, then click drugs approved by the fda, then click ob gyn for the details. apparently this drug was just approved & is not even available yet in the USA. good for you yvonne that you have a dr who is up on all the latest info!
janice
Old 09-06-2001, 07:40 PM   #5  

Default Yasmin again

Actually it is available all over the US. In my small podunk town, I have two pharamacies that carry it. Plus, my GYN has it available in sample form, which means, it HAS to be available.

Yes, she is VERY up on stuff, but I called HER to see what she thought and she was "YES, YES, YES".

Yvonne
Old 09-07-2001, 10:18 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Default Oooooh!

This sounds interesting! Anything about slowing down ovary pain? I don't need BC pills since I had a hysterectomy but I wonder if this would help me anyway with other side effects. Does 'aid in weight loss' translate to 'nauseous' ?

Keep us informed on how you do with this!
Old 09-07-2001, 04:54 PM   #7  

Jennifer,

From what I've read over at soulcysters.com, I've heard MAINLY great things, a few people were disappointed that all their symptoms didn't go away immediately, but I don't know if there'd ever be a "miracle drug".

I will DEFINATELY keep the list posted!!!

Yvonne
Old 09-07-2001, 06:48 PM   #8  

yvonne;

according to all the info i read this drug is not available but i am so glad that info is incorrect. i'm going to discuss it with my dr asap!
janice
Old 12-14-2001, 06:35 PM   #9  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Exclamation Plz remember, bcp do NOT treat PCOS

BCP only alleviate the symptoms and put the PCOS into migration. Once you get off the pill, all your symptoms will return and usually worse because the PCOS was getting worse while in hybernation.

BCP - a bandaid for PCOS - will only keep cysts small, give you a menstrual which in turn decreases chances of Uterine cancer and may help with acne. Thats usually it. Its also important that if you do decide to take BCP that they are not in a multicolored pack - AKA Triphasic pills like Ortho Tri Cyclen - as these will increase your chances of cysts or enlarge current ones.

If you want to TREAT the PCOS (and not just bandaid it), which will reduce risk of heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, cancer, diabetes, and more (bcp can not do this for you), you will need to get on a drug like Glucophage or Avandia. These drugs are to be taken for the rest of your life.

On treatment drugs you will become more normalized and everythign will be running better. Losing weight, acne disappearing, reducing the extra hair, and more. Only by treatment though.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:25 PM   #10  

Default Update on the Yasmin

If you go over to the thread entitled: PCOS - I hate this curse. You'll see a longer version.

Just wanted you to know that it was a HORRIBLE experience. I had PMS symptoms out the wazoo....even had stuff I NEVER get. I gave it 3 months and am happy to say I'm going BACK to my old BC pill (Zovia).

Mainly, my breasts hurt SO bad that I had to wear my bra to bed for 2 wks, I broke out in real ACNE. I still have a red bump or something on my chest that's HUGE and I got the pimple itself 3 wks ago. And last but not least, I was SO mean and cried constantly.

I just wish it had worked for me. But this was not the case!!

Yvonne
Old 12-27-2001, 04:34 PM   #11  

Talking PCOS

I am excited about what I am reading about this medicine! I have been taking Gluchphage for about 2yrs, and would like to try something else! Are you going to your OBGYN or your endo doctor to get this medicine?
Any info on this would be great. Is it a herb?
Old 12-28-2001, 08:11 AM   #12  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Default Pravda, please read my responce to this post a few above yours.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:41 AM   #13  

Unhappy

thanks Hopefulspirits.
I was so excited about what she was saying I didnt even read any further! Silly me!
I am disappointed to hear that it didnt work out. Well, maybe the doctors will come up with something that really works.
Pravda
Old 12-28-2001, 06:34 PM   #14  

Question Question "Hopeful Spirit"????

Hopeful Spirit,

I have a question, since you seem very knowledgeable. Isn't it true that some take the Glucophage and it doesn't work at all for them??

I've been taking 1500mg a day and frankly it's NO different, accept all the side affects that NEVER seem to go away.

Also, I have the HARDEST time remembering to take them. I've tried setting my alarm clock, setting the alarm on my Palm and NOTHING seems to work. Then when I get back to taking them regularly, I feel like CRAP. The headaches are HORRIBLE and the "runs" are about to kill me.

I'm thinking, if they are NOT working for the PCOS, doesn't that mean, they probably aren't working for the insulin resistance either. I'd think the two would go hand in hand! Right or am I wrong.

All I know, is that I USED to lose weight BEFORE the glucophage, about 3-4lbs a month. NOW, I lose maybe 1lb a month, IF I'm lucky. I also GAIN like crazy now, if I deviate in the slightest way. My last gain was 8lbs in 3 days. It took me 6 months to get those 8lbs off. 6 months of STRICT dieting.

My doctor frowns on low-carb. Says he thinks its unhealthy and in the long run, most people stop losing on that too, with the added boost of eating a high fat diet, which isn't good for the arteries.

When I told my doctor the Glucophage only makes me gain, he gives me a lecture on the increased risks of PCOS and heart disease/stroke and diabetes. But aren't I increasing my risks by simply being FAT?

If you can't tell, I'm so frustrated, I want to give up, be 300+lbs and say FORGET THIS.

Anyways, thanks for any help you can offer.

Yvonne
Old 01-02-2002, 12:05 PM   #15  

Angry

Yvonne-

I have been on Glucophage for about 2 yrs. It has helped me
a lot. It has regulated my insulin resistance, my testostrone is down. My glucose is normal, and my estregene is in a normal range. It maked me sick too, I am taking 2000mg a day. I have no stomach problems with it now, though. I have learned that if I take it with a high protein snack or meal, I do better with it. It took me awhile, and I still have moments with the cramping and the runs, but all in all it has helped turn my lab work around!!!!
As far as with my wieght issue, I have not gained with it, but I am losing weight a little slower than I am used to.

I am sorry to hear that you are so sick with it. It has really changed things for me. Hang in there! It will get better.
It takes a while for the body to get used to it.
Dont give up on losing weight, It is going to be slower with the meds, but it is possible. I am close to 300lbs myself, I know how frustrating it is to try and lose!
But, remember, you can do this, you are NEVER alone in this.

Pravda
Closed Thread