Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default GRRRR - injury and no exercise

I'm SO frustrated right now.

We're not exactly sure how this happened, but I strained a couple parts of my shoulder rotator cuff. Can I just say, ow. But thats not the worst part of it...

I'm in a sling and obviously can't do any weights on that arm for a bit. But I can't even JOG (too much bouncing!) My cardio is going to be limited to walking, stationary biking, and other non-bouncing activities.

My plan for now is to powerwalk in the mornings instead of my usual walk/jog, but at least maintaining the same routine, for the few weeks where I'm not allowed to jog.

I'm just really really frustrated right now.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #2  

Ouch that sounds painful!

Im sorry to hear that you wont be able to do your weights and your other excercises. Keep doing the others though, and you'll be better in no time. Then you can go back to your regular routine!

And you're so ahead of your goal. 3 pounds to go in 1 month? You'll defenitly be there!
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

Thanks Lilly - you're pretty close to me (Davis).

I know its temporary and my shoulder needs the rest, but I'm really sad over this. And also thinking of ways to cheat (ie, is it still bad to jog if I jog with arm in the sling?)

The last time I injured myself and had to lay off the exercise, it was in a previous weight loss attempt - unfortunately, it spelled the end of that attempt, because I found it impossible to keep my motivation going without the drive of exercise.

Anyone have any non-bounce activities for me?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #4  
Meg

Oh boy, do I feel your pain! I had rotator cuff surgery in January and wasn't allowed to work out or 'bounce' during cardio for THREE MONTHS!

Let me give you one piece of advice: do not cheat!!! Do exactly what your doctor tells you to do - and not do - because you do not want to end up like me! I wouldn't wish that surgery on my worst enemy.

So be a good girl and walk and ride the bike and let your shoulder heal. You can still make exercise a part of every day and keep your motivation up. You've come too far to stop now.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

Meg - how long did it take it to not hurt? And/or to be able to lie down to go to sleep without feeling like someone was jabbing an ice pick into your arm?

I'm not good at being a good girl. I have already taken the sling off for a break, twice.

On the plus side, whenever I was sick before and had to get a prescription, I always said "I need chocolate". Today, I got my horse-pill sized naproxens and resisted the urge to comfort myself with food. So its a little NSV.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

mandalinn, sorry to hear of your injury. I am injured right now too. my left ankle has nerve damage and soft tissue injury. I am in an immobilizer boot. It is frustrating for me not to be able to do the treadmill like I usually do. I started Physical Therapy today and hope to see some improvement with time. Meg, has it right, follow your doctors order to prevent further injury and complications. Hope you are better soon.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #7  
Meg

Ah, the old ice pick in the arm! Know it well! Night time is the absolute worst, isn't it? But I'm not a good one to ask about how long it lasted because I had a complete tear that just hurt worse and worse until I sucked it up and went to the doctor three months later. With a complete tear, surgery was my only option and it still hurts at night sometimes (like lately), even though it's been seven months since it was fixed. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like your shoulder is quite so bad -- and we don't want to let it get there, do we??? It helps me to sleep propped up against a back rest with my arm on a pillow (you can leave it in the sling).

Good for you for resisting the chocolate! You can get through this without gaining weight ... just be super careful with your eating and do the exercise you're allowed to do and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Man, just reading about the pain hurts... Take care of yourself Manda :hugh and listen to your Doctor and Dr.Meg too! She's a smart lady...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Can y'all stop freaking me out about shoulder pain please!!!

I've got my appointment on Monday!!

Seriously though Manda - you can get through this, it's just a TEMPORARY set-back. Make the stationary bike your best buddy
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
Can y'all stop freaking me out about shoulder pain please!!!
I agree!! I did shoulders today and was so scared to hurt myself that I used super light weights, they weren't pink though
Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #11  
Meg

Hey! Are you making fun of my pastel DBs???

(actually, the ones I use for the rotator cuff exercises are teal blue and yellow )

: for your appointment, Frus!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
(actually, the ones I use for the rotator cuff exercises are teal blue and yellow )
OH, those colours are soooo MUCH better than pink ....
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

Trucking onward. Still can't sleep (it HURTS) and darned if I don't want to burn this sling, but I've been good (rest, ice, no jogging, only walking and the bike).

The interesting part will be this weekend. I'm going to Disneyland on Saturday with my SO's dad (its his birthday and he's a bit of a disney nut) - how the heck do I get my sling around the restraint bars on Space Mountain?