General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Gained 4 pounds overnight???

What the heck???

I haven't binged all week, in fact, I've been doin' pretty darn good at eating right & exersizing regularly!! - and I know my scale is probably off (I HOPE!)

My time of the month isn't due for another 2 weeks or so.... so what gives??

I always use my morning weight (because it's lowest, and because my scale varies so much as the day goes on) But this morning my weight is 4 pounds higher than yesterday morning!! It just can't be!!!!

Even though I know it's highly unlikely, it still feels like crap to see that.

I got sunburn a little yesterday, does that mean anything?? & I actually wasn't feeling too well after dinner last night and was sick (threw up) so my dinner didn't even stay down for the most part!

Any thoughts? ideas? stories? possible valid reasons?? Anyone else have this happen before?

I know it's not necessary to weigh yourself daily - but I do. Can't help it!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Unless you ate 14,400 calories yesterday, it isn't fat, just water.
Try to drink a little extra water, and avoid salt for a few days, and you'll probably flush it out quickly.

I weigh every morning too, but I only "count" the Monday morning weigh in (I write it down on a little chart I have taped inside the door of my linen closet).
Old 08-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Have you used the restroom? Maybe because you got sunburned your body is holding onto water (Just guessing..I don't know about that kind of thing). Did you excercise yesterday (ie, swim alot)? Your muscles can hold onto water sometimes after a good day of excercise (read that from another post).
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #4  

I agree with Kaplods. It's water. You must have ate salty foods the past day or two. Plus, you will retain water with a sunburn. Throwing up can also knock things off balance and your body may retain water because of the electrolytes lost. One gallon of water adds 8 pounds and that's not a difficult amount to retain... so half that is very plausible.

I weigh daily as well, and I can be one thing in the morning, another in the afternoon and another at night. My weight can vary by 5lbs throughout the day. A scale only tells you how heavy the object or person is that's on it. It doesn't tell you what is fat, what is water, what is food sitting in your stomach, etc. It's a rather lousy gauge when used alone.

Just lay off the salt, drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest and keep on eating healthy and exercising and you'll be back to normal again.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

It's got to be water - I tend to have this problem in the middle of my cycle as well - for some reasone I usually gain 5-8 pounds right in the middle - Mine stays on for about a wk - maybe a little longer, than you wake up one morning (after using the restroom all night ) and you dropped all the weight overnight.
ALso when you get sunburned, you body hangs on to extra water to help keep it temp regulated - so it also could be related to that - I know its depressing but hang on and the water weight should go away shortly - there really isn't anyother answere unless you sleep walk and raid the fridge in your sleep lol
Old 08-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Yes, your body treats the sunburn as a type of injury (which it is). Swelling in the tissues, as well as blisters attempt to heal it, much as it would a more severe burn. Drink lots of water, stay away from salt and try taking a bath in tepid/cool water with baking soda.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #7  

Well - I feel a little better reading all of your replies.... Thank you.

between the sunburn & the fact that I ate chinese food for dinner (lots of salt!) Even though I got sick, all that salt was still in me, being absorbed for a good hour or more.... I imagine thats where all this extra weight today is showing from.

And now that I think of it, regarding using the restroom - I only used it once last night, where usually I'm up at least 2 or 3 times to go! I always drink a lot of water during the day, and with me & my BF's oddball work schedule & the dog wanting to go out in the middle of the night, I just find myself in there a lot!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #8  
LLV

It's just water, sweetie.

~giggle~

It'll come back off
Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

When I weighed yesterday morning, the scale was up 4 lbs. I was so disappointed. I had eaten at the Outback the night before. My steak (which I only ate 1/2 of was very salty). This morning the scales were back down 2 of those lbs. I think mine was mostly fluid retention. I know I didn't have an extra 14,400 calories. I normally try to avoid salt if I can. I am sure the same thing probably happened to you. Good luck and I am sure yours will come right off too.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #10  

Well.... it's now Wednesdayr & I'm still up a pound and a half compared to what I weighed in on last saturday morning

I've had one heck of a time fighting the urge to eat at Burger King, stop for ice cream, buy some candy out of the vending machines.... Feels like I've been workin' out & watching what I eat all for nothing. (in fact, I DID give in and buy a pack of hard pretzels out of one machine today)

yea - I know... it'll get better
Closed Thread