Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #1  
hara hachi bu

Unhappy Yikes! Frustrated

So, I've lost almost 70 pounds to date. I took my measurements when I'd lost 10 pounds, when I lost 35 pounds, and again when I lost 68 pounds. I took measurements at the thigh, the hips, the abdomen, the waist, the bustline, and the upper arm. I've lost probably the most in the abdomen, waist, and bustline, but have NOT lost a single inch in the arms! I wish we had some say over where we lost.

What the H is happening? Do we lose weight in our arms the slowest or something? Has anyone experienced this?

Anybody have any suggestions? Would some simple hand-weight exercises do me any favors at this point? Do they have cardio arm workouts?

I am imagining me 70 more pounds lighter, a svelte tall woman with big ol' milk-gallon upper arms!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes it seems it takes forever to lose the fat where we think we need it most. You've done a marvelous job so far phantastica, in time I'm sure your arms will begin to shrink also!! I've lost over 40 pounds and still have my 2 spare tires and big boobs.........it looks like alot more effort will be required to get those to go also.

I imagine me 30 pounds lighter yet, a smaller, sturdy little gal with hooters that reach into the next state, LOL
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #3  
mostly harmless

I wasn't losing in my arms, either, until I started doing push ups every day. The arms have shrunk and firmed some since I started doing that.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I think it depends on your specific body chemistry where the weight comes off first/last, but it does NOT come off evenly as you lose. This has been really apparent to me since the last time I started trying to lose weight, because I am charting progress strictly by measurements and not by the scale.

I get measured every 2-3 weeks, and most times the biggest loss is in one area of the body, with only tiny losses in other areas. It's not always the same area, but I have a couple trouble spots where I have lost hardly any inches at all so far, and one of them is the arms, so I feel your pain.

But I have to think that as I get closer to my goal, they will have to get smaller too. I remember that as I gained the weight, the fat piled onto the various body areas in a specific order, and I seem to be losing it in reverse order. My arms were one of the first parts to get fat, so I guess they will be the last to give it up.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I pretty much stopped measuring because I don't think its really right. When I measured I was showing no loss in my wasit, but wearing 4 inch smaller pants. And no loss in my arms, but my shirts that were tight are now kinda baggy. I haven't measured for a while (mind u I havent been losing weight that quicky) but I see a huge difference in how my cloths fit, and thats all that matters
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For me, it was my thighs that were slow to lose inches. I lost about 2-3 inches per thigh while losing around 70 lbs. Recently, I've lost about 3-4 inches per thigh in much less weight. I think it is really your own body chemistry at work. Also, your body is quick to rid itself of toxic fat which is what is usually around your belly area. Since that fat causes issues with your internal organs, your body will favor your mid section more than any other area of your body.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #7  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

You might try lifting weights. I don't think it will "remove" inches from your arms, but if you keep up with it you will definitely notice a shape and strength difference, and I think that makes it plenty worth it. I agree with others that have said seems our problem areas go last. Personally, I've been losing fat from the bottom up. My already thin ankles and calves were the first things to lose even more fat while my shoulders and chest have remained about the same size. Belly has too so far Hang in there, I think the noticeable appearance changes in fat loss tend to happen more and more towards the end of weight loss.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #8  
hara hachi bu

I found a pilates DVD that includes some cardio segments as well as some good arm workouts with weights. I'm going to incorporate that into my exercise repertoire.

Nelie, I've experienced that too (losing most weight in the torso). I'm certainly not going to complain about that!

Maria, I think I'll start doing push-ups once my arms have a little more strength from the pilates video.

Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #9  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I didn't notice much change in my arms until I started doing a boxerfit class once a week - it's tough on your arms, and she makes us do push-ups and other arm exercises at the end of each class. I've really noticed a big difference in the size and tone of my arms, even though my weight hasn't been going down. And it doesn't just have to be push-ups - any arm exercises will help.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #10  
mostly harmless

It took me a few months to work up to real push ups, and I didn't notice the arm size changing much until I was off my knees and doing 20 military style pushups a day. I still can't fit into a shirt I want to wear, though. It's one that fits fine all over except for the arms.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

if u can't do "real" push ups try using a wall until u build up enough strentgh this ia what I did a few years ago when i lost weight after my first 2 kids now its weight from the last 2
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #12  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I have been doing upper body and arm exercises 3x a week for nearly three years and only recently have started noticing my arms are looking better now that I've also lost quite a bit of weight. It's definitely worth it to lift weights - it not only makes your arms look better, you'll get stronger too!

Congratulations on your fantastic achievement of losing 70 lbs.!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #13  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I am frustrated with my arms too. Unflexed mid bicep is 12 inches. I have no frame of reference for what is 'normal' but it hasn't gone down and it bums me out. so yeah, I know what you mean.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm pretty annoyed by my arms as well - but working out has toned them underneath the extra skin/flab...I still refuse to wear short sleeves after a flapping inicident at 40 mph on my scooter... I thought I was going to take flight.. But someday I'll manage to take off the fat on top...and I'll be sportin some serious guns.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #15  

I've lost 6 inches off my arms. No, I'm not posting just to be annoying but to point out the randomness of the whole thing. I'm doing a mixture of cardio and weights. My stomach however, didn't lose any inches at all for the first 7 months or so!!!

Its completely random, thats my opinion. As long as you are eating less and moving more, which you definitely are, then it'll come off. My stomach has started shrinking finally! Your arms will too! What width are they now? Mine have gone from 19 inches (which lets face it is a waist size!) to 13. Maybe yours are small anyway?
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote