Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default For those of you who have had weight Loss

surgery, under what conditions did u have the surgery. I mean did the Insurance company require u to do two supervised diets first/Did ur insurance pay for it--is it a must that your insurace must pay for it.
I am tired of being M. Obese and don't have the strength to do another diet. I hope to do WLS in 2008.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #2  

My insurance was pretty good about covering it. I got approved within a month of my surgeon sending all the info to the insurance. Most insurances require that you go through a psyche evaluation, see a nutritionist and show a history of your weight loss attempts. You also have to have co-morbid conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure or sleep apnea. I believe the required BMI is over 35 usually (maybe 40).

I never had to be on a supervised diet, but I know a lot of others who had.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #3  

Good thing about Canada is that most insurance will cover once you meet the MO threshold.

Bad news is, you wait for anywhere from 18 months to three years to get in.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Interesting. Thanks guys.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I had to have at least 6 month previous doctor supervised dieting recorded with my doctor (which was no problem... I had years of that) then I had to go thru all the insurance hooplah's, xrays, blood work, psycho evaluation, dietition visits, and proof of my back problems, high blood pressure and arthritis, then the surgeon requires you to do stuff like attend their seminar, attend support group meetings. Stuff like that.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

I basically followed the same plan as Leenie did. Once everything was submitted to the ins company it took less than two weeks to get approval from my lap band.

FoodObsessed, we are from the same area, if you need any recommendations for a surgeon let me know. Mine is great and works out of GW Hospital.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote