WW Clubs and Groups - Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #84

View Full Version : Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #84

Karen L
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
The other thread was getting long so I decided to start a new one. :D

So glad to Slavika back. But wow what a storm you went through. glad you are OK. :hug: I think it might be time to join Trudy's wellness club? maybe? :devil:

Glenda I hate to say this but I really think your sister is right. We could all just say the heck with it and just let our weight and health go to the dogs(sorry Sprout). But just how happy would we be with our selves. Be honest now! Think about the last time you went to buy clothes. Just how happy were you with the way the pants or shorts or the dreaded swimsuit fit. So we just have to hang in there. We can if we think we can , then agan we can't if we think we can't. So think we can! To many cans in that one.

That being said I weighed in at goal last night!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: (Hope I don't hurt my other knee now)

I do have a doctors appointment this afernoon something about my labs wasn't good. My guess is the Meds I take for the migraines is messing with my system. But then it could be my Iron count . I'm hoping for that because it's been great not having so many migraines. Don' want to go back into that black hole again.

Maria I hope you continue to get well. You american tour is coming fast now.

Ann hope the eye is good.

Peggy stay cool you too Gloria .

How's it going Pam and BlueIris

survivor
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Karen, I sure hope your migraine medicine isn't the culprit. I used to have bad muscular headaches that I thought were the end of my world. I do agree with the thing about our age and medicine, etc. We could so easily give up, but what a path that would be! In September I am going to join a fitness club and pay for a personal trainer for awhile just to get my program going and me. I have put this off long enough.

So glad I am not traveling for awhile. Maria, you will be prepared for all the international flying restrictions when you really get into your trip, but oh my! No liquids of any kind. It is just such an unfriendly world, isn't it? I am so glad they uncovered that plot in England before it had time to come to fruition.

All, I am amazed at how alike we all are from the little questionnaire. I don't think there was anyone who had been in a fist fight? or stolen a car? And Maria, I understand your not playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians. But the rest of us did, I think.

This is the 12th day in a row of temperatures over 100. And that string was broken up by one weekend with 89 degrees. Before that it was over 2 weeks straight. I never remember a summer like this. All, stay cool.
Glenda

Karen L
08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
The next time I come here and open my big mouth some one tell me to shut the heck up!.

Here we are doing all we can to be healthy watch our diet, exercise, Don't drink or smoke sleep 7-8 hours most nights. Lead a healthy lifestyle. And our body turns on us!. What the doctor wanted to see me about was my sugar is beginning to creep up! I'm so mad I could spit tacks. Just when I thought it was safe to have a cookie it was snatched from my fingers before it hit my lips. I've been swearing all day. My poor DH has been laying low and patting my hand saying don't worry honey it will be OK. I know that but it still makes me mad as a hatter. I'd better leave before I say something that gets banned.
Later
Karen

survivor
08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Karen, what does this mean? We all understand your frustration. I don't think we ever really get a handle on what we are supposed to do. It is just a moving target. Husbands sometimes have impossible tasks.

Karen L
08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Doctor said my sugar has been on the rise the last three times I've had blood drawn. And because I am at risk for diabetes I need to stay on top of it. I have calmed down. And am no longer on the war path. DH took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 88 so we think that 103 the other day was some thing I must have eaten the day before. And then it was not a fasting blood test either. I go back in November for more labs. and will find out what the A1C number is, that tells me whether or not I am diabetic or not. I think anyway. At 6.5 DH was called borderline. At 7 he went on medication .He is not there anymore he is at 6. His doctor is thinking about cutting his medication in half. 103 is by no means really high it's just that with my family history I do need to watch it. I was so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tantrum: And i like to eat cookies.:cookie:

Today is a better day.

Karen:D

Lizziepie
08-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Karen: There are some sugar-free cookies that aren't too bad, but I know it is not the same. It is the pits to have family history of diabetes. That is why I've watched what I eat forever.

Glenda: Good for you going for personal training. I have to settle for Curves, but that is a pretty good work-out. I'd like to go more than 3 times a week, but with the cost for gasoline, I don't make those extra trips.

Went to WW today and I think I might be on the downturn once again. -.8 is not a lot but at least it is down. Why is it so easy to put on and so hard to take off?:mad:

When I was a kid our gang also played 'space' Buck Rogers was big in the comics and movie serials.

I am waiting to hear from all the tests I had for the osteoporosis. I found out the cost of Forteo, so if insurance won't cover it, I won't be taking it. It must be made of a gold solution. I know that the drug companies say they have to charge that much to pay for research, but wht about all the Gov.t grans they get for research? :devil: He must be in there somewhere. :D:

I am so happy that my eye responded well to the laser treatment. I don't have to go back for 6mo. :cp:

Glenda: When you have those over 100deg. temps is it a dry heat like Arizona?

Hi everyone. And where are you Pam and Blue Iris. Hi to you too. Have a great rest of the weekend. Ann

flaggies
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
G'day all,

Back to feeling my old self again today:) Took a while to shake this chest infection.

Thanks to all for your input towards our trip. Now that we have booked, it is REALLY going to happen:)

It is a magnificent day here today, the start of spring is on its way.:flow1:

Karen I think you are right re the advise to Glenda but having said that I can so relate to what Glenda is saying, this weight thing is just the pits.
I will have to pull my finger out because I really do want to loose some of this weight I am carrying before our trip.

Sorry to hear about your sugar levels Karen, it doesn't seem quite fair when you are doing the right thing and the figures are still up:(

We are a bit in limbo at the moment, our daughter is expecting her first child and she was due yesterday. The minute she has the baby we will jump in our little 'dream machine' and drive over to Melbourne to welcome our second grand daughter, stay for a day and drive back again.
Everything is put on hold whilst we are waiting for the call. She was sure she was going to be early but that hasn't happened.
She was one of the reasons that I went to see a doctor about my chest infection, I didn't think I should welcome a new grandchild by coughing and spluttering all over the poor child!
Her husband will have 2 weeks off and then when he goes back to work I will fly over and stay a few weeks to help her.

Ann any particular reason you are having the osteoporosis test or is it just a routine test?

I know I should comment on other posts but at this minute I cannot remember who said what :dizzy::?:

I hope you are all well and are having a great weekend,

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie
08-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Maria: I have had osteoporosis for some time now, and my last bone density test showed my spine had deteriorated a bit more. So the tests to see what can be done, if anything. Still waiting for the reports. I try to do everything that I should, calcium, exercise, and I take Evista which is also supposed to be helpful for bones. The Forteo is supposedly the only medication that has proven to rebuild bone. The others just stop the deteriation from going any further. I know I have shrunk in height. That is a sign of back problems. But I don't have the 'dowagers hump' which comes from spinal fractures. So time will tell what comes next.

Glad you are feeling better. I'm sure you are looking forward to this new grandbaby. Ann

survivor
08-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Ann, are we talking about the same thing? I take Fosamax and it is supposed to rebuild bone too. Leon has osteoporosis and he has been on a mission. He drinks only milk and water all the time, eats yogurt, smoothies, etc. He stopped all caffeine cold turkey. But do not know how successful this is. I was just wondering if your mother had this. Sometimes I think we are fighting heredity more than other factors. And, in answer to your question, yes, it is usually not overly humid when it is this hot, but we cannot count on dry heat like Arizona.

Trudy
08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I was also under the impression that Fosamax is the only drug that helps make osteoblats to build bone. In my case the Osteoporosis is heriditary, Mom and her sisters all have it. I do have a small frame, it is just well hidden. Of course, stupid dieting in the past didn't help me at all. I had a bone scan and I am waiting for my results. Now I worry about the Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw which is associated with Fosamax and other bis-phosphonates. I checked out the web for Forteo.. http://seniorhealth.about.com/cs/osteoporosis/a/forteo.htm
I wish I didn't have to take anything.

nanacas
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
It has been an interesting day so far and it is only 9:30 AM. Had an appointment at an eye surgeon to have him look at a growth I have had on my eyelid for a year. It has grown and in the last few days has had a black spec in the middle. DH said I looked like I had a spy camera on my eyelid. :)
Well I saw him and he said it was probably benign but he would remove it and send it for biopsy. I asked him when it would be done and he said he had the room ready and it would take 15 minutes. So, bottom line it is off and I am none the worse for it. No pain...novacain in the eyelid and I didn't feel a thing. I am swollen now and need to put a cold compress on it three times a day for the next couple of days and I have an ointment also to apply. He will see me again in 2 weeks and that should be it. I didn't even have time to get apprehensive. That's a good thing.

Marie: So glad you are feeling better and just in time to welcome you newest grandchild. I am sure you can hardly wait.

Glenda & Ann: I think the whole world is on Fosamax. I asked my dr when and how I would know if it was working. He said they don't usually do another bone scan as if it showed no improvement then the Fosamax was preventing more bone loss and keep it up. If it showed improvement then the Fosamax was doing it's job and keep it up. Bottom line it is Fosamax for life.:)

Karen: So sorry to hear about your sugar levels. Hope they can come to the bottom of the problem so you can have your cookie, at least once in a while.

Well, I guess I should get myself a cold compress for that swelling.

Gloria

Lizziepie
08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Gals: Because of esophageal problems I cannot take Fosamax. I only know what the Dr. told me about Forteo being the only med. that actually built new bone. But if my insurance doesn't cover it, I won't be taking it anyway. It is very costly. I got the report of all the tests, and I didn't learn anything about myself that I didn't already know. Osteoarthritis in my hips as well as the osteoporosis, more degeneration in the spine. None of it caused by thyroid, or other glands, good sugar level, good blood pressure, etc. So now I wait to see what the insurance does. . I just keep doing what I have been doing and that's that. My mother had osteo. My eldest daughter with the Lupus has it, and my youngest has osteopenia, so she is taking Fosamax now too. Eldest couldn't take it. She did the Forteo. Oh well, the joys of getting older. Ann

painter5
08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi All,
Been busy and it all seems to revolve around eating out at different times with friends. I need to get to it and stick to the points. Now for some reason I want one of those Wendy's frostees. School starts next week. Where has the summer disappeared to-after the 4th of July it seems to rush along.

Glenda like the idea of joining the gym. We have a Fitworks up the street. I should look into it. Hope you are staying cool. I don't mind the heat too much but it is the humidity that gets to me.

Maria are you a new grandma yet? I am excited for you.

Gloria I can't imagine getting novacain in your eyelid. That sounds very painful to me. Hope the swelling is gone.

Karen I am sorry to hear about your high sugar. Hope it was just a fluke but it is good that they are watching it. I had lunch with some old work friends yesterday and one of them brought a diabetic pie. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.

Lemon Cream Pie
Mix together:
1 oz lemon Crystal Light
1 8 oz cream cheese
Then mix in 11/2 cups of milk and 1 large sugar free instant vanilla pudding.
Add 8 oz of Cool Whip and put in a graham crust.
Refrigerate.

flaggies
08-16-2006, 01:01 AM
G'day all,

My poor daughter is still hanging in there, she started getting contractions last Sunday but just when she thinks it is serious the contractions stop:(:(

I didn't realise you had osteoporosis Ann and Trudy and Glenda and her dh, sounds like you all have it well in hand.

Glad you got rid of whatever it was on your eye Gloria and that it was nothing to sinister.
It is funny how our conversations change as we are getting older!

A question for you all, as you know we will be hiring a car for 2 months when we get to America.
We drive on the left hand side of the road and the steering wheel etc. is at the opposite side as what it would be in cars in the States.
My question is where is your accelerator and brake pad?
The foot controls in our cars, the accelerator on the right and the brake next to it and in a manual car the clutch next to that.

Does that mean that you use your foot controls with your left foot:dizzy::?:

Plans are coming along nicely.....

A warm day here today and it is not even spring yet!

Cheers
Maria

nanacas
08-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Maria to answer you question quickly.....getting ready to leave for the hair dresser. Our steering wheel is on the left but the gas...accelerator is on the right...use your right foot and the break is next to it and you still use your right foot. In other words it is just the same as in your car except the whole works is on the left side of the car. Hope that helps. Gloria

flaggies
08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Gloria, I thought that would HAVE to be the case, I couldn't imagine having to use your left foot for the foot controls.
It will be tricky in a manual car, the gear stick would be on the opposite side, now we use our left hand to change gears but in America it would be your right hand.
We have booked an automatic so it won't matter too much.

Still no baby :(

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie
08-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Maria: An automatic was a good idea. When we went to Tortola and rented a car, there was a little sign above the steering wheel reminding the driver to keep left. We weren't used to that kind of driving, and it was very helpful. I'm sure that you will be fine. Ann

Karen L
08-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Maria I agree Our conversation has changed as we have gotten older. And I do agree with Ann getting older ain't for wimps!

I had a ruff couple of days don't now what was going on but didn't feel up to par. so just laid low . Didn't do much around here either. It was funny I'd feel pretty good in the morning so I'd walk and go to crafts or aerobics but along towards afternoon I'd begin to feel yuk. Am good now.

Went to WW last night and was down again. Am trying to learn to maintain again. It will take time. Any way where I was going is on the way out to the car, One of the ladies I sit by, tripped. I saw some of the men pick her up but when I went to get into the the car with the people I road over with I noticed Kay was sitting on a small retaining wall next to her car. So I went over to her and ask if she was alright. She said thought she need to go to the hospital and would I drive her in her car. Kay lives just down the street from me so I know her slightly . Believe me before the evening was over we knew each other well.. Turns out she broke her arm in 2 places and needed to be hospitalized and surgery that she was to have today . She a teacher.

So Picture this. Me using her cellphone(didn't have mine) and calling her fellow teacher saying Kris you don't know me but Kay ***** has broken her arm is being admitted to the hospital as we speak and needs you to find a sub for her second grade class tomorrow . "OH! MY GOSH "this lady on the other end of the line says what else can I do. I said nothing tonight but call her tomorrow. Then I call Kay's daughter in New York she wasn't home but left a message about her mother.

So today I went to Kay's house and took care of her cat(fed scooped the boxes) got Kay some clean clothes and found her cell phone charger. And last night while the nurses were taking Kay's history I found out she is only one day older than me. See I told you we know each other well now. One thing about living in a community like this we do watch out for each other. Right Ann.

Maria I see Gloria was quick to answer your question about the cars here. And getting a automatic is smart. Will make life easier.

DH is keeping an eye on my sugar levels and they are good so far. So I'm not going to panic any more.

Must go to bed

Karen

Trudy
08-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Karen Seems to me you have made a new friend. Good thing you came along to help Kay. I bet the two of you will be seeing a lot of each other now.
Maria I came by today to see if your new grand-baby has arrived. You must be on pins and needles waiting for the little one.
I never did drive a stick shift, learned on automatic. I remember,during one of my driving lessons, I used my left foot for the brake... that was a no no.

Time to think of something wonderful for din dins... no ideas at all.

Karen L
08-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Must be the week to break a bone in this park I heard tonight that another lady felloff her bike and broke her arm in three places yesterday. Was going to get a bike but Now I'm re-thinking that idea.

Still no Baby??

Later
Karen

flaggies
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
G'day all,

Still NO BABY:(:(

spoke to dd yesterday who then broke down in tears, she has been having contractions since last Sunday and is just very tired.
We were both concerned and being so far away doesn't make it any easier, told her I would be happy to fly over but she said there was nothing I could really do and by the time I get there she may have gone into hospital.

A little later the midwife had rung to see how she was and she promptly burst into tears. The midwife told her to come into the 'birthing centre' straight away and they would assess what is going on. Received a call last night and she is home again but very much reassured.
Spoke to her this morning and she sounded OK. Her in laws have been wonderful. They are about 12 years older than us and their health is not great, they are the kindest people and are helping and supporting as much as they can. I don't feel like she is so far from home with no-one close.

Karen that poor lady, lucky you were able to help. I agree with Trudy you probably have a friend for life, a pity it was in these sort of circumstances.

Ann I am sure we will be fine driving in the US, no-one would enjoy driving in New York and we will keep that to a minimum, drop the car off and after that we will be walking or using public transport.

I would think the 10 weeks that we are there will fly. Just saw a documentary on Washington and what a lot to see there.
Some 'friends' called in yesterday and they had absolutely NOTHING positive to say about our trip, all doom and gloom.
I was glad to see the back of them, dh said I had made that pretty obvious. I thought I was being subtle:dizzy:, he agreed with me that they were pains but he just didn't make it as obvious.
Oh well I have never been known for my diplomacy:shrug:

We have had some lovely spring weather already quite warm for the time of the year, hope we will not get the heatwaves that you all have been experiencing.

Another day of waiting near the phone of news of the imminent arrival of our new grand daughter........

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie
08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Karen: You do have a new friend now for sure. And you are right, in a park like ours we take care of each other. We are sort of like an big extended family.

Maria: Why is it that a first baby seems to just take their own sweet time in making an appearance. Maybe by the time you read this, she will appear. I', glad you didn't let your doom and glooom friends spoil the anticipation of your next adventure. I expect they are just a bit jealous that they aren't courageous enough to do the traveling that you and Alan do.

We'll all be checking back for the blessed event. Ann

Karen L
08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Maria some people never know when to shut up. :rolleyes: I have a neighbor like that. Always doom and gloom never a good thing to say about anything. I always want to hide when I see her coming. Maria sorry to hear your daughter is having a ruff time. Babies come in there own time when they are good and ready so I've been told. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is soon.

Kay is having to stay in the hospital over night again. Surgery wasn't done until 9:00 last night. Her doctor is only letting her come home because her Mother is coming to stay with her. I said ," Kay may I ask How Old is Mom?" A very spry 84. She says." One of the gals that works with Kay is going to stay with her tomorrow night then her mom will be her Saturday. I did offer. But thing are going smoother now that the crisis has passed. Thank goodness.
I will still bring her home from the hospital.

Monday I have my pre-op physical I'm real excited over that. It means I have to miss going to crafts darn!. But I do want this knee taken care of.

DH is starting to get into golfing a little more. I'm real happy about that. even talking about buying a membership for the course here in the park He's been playing several times a week. And tagging up with some guys he plays pool with . They are talking him into this. And I think it's a good thing. He needs things to do to get him out of my hair.:carrot:

Karen

survivor
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Karen, it is funny how we meet some people accidentally and they can become good friends quickly. She probably feels that you were an angel sent to her at her time of need. I am sure you are happy to get your hubby interested in a hobby. Mine has no hobbies but that yard stuff. When he retires he will have to find something. As it is he drives me crazy. I have your surgery down on my calendar. I know it will be great to get it over.

Maria, still waiting for news of that baby. I know your DD is tired and wanting this just over. Remember her little schedule? If that child is already this stubborn, well...... I am getting excited about your visit. We have been thinking of the things you would want to see in Oklahoma. When Alan does some researching he will find there isn't that much in Oklahoma, but we have in Oklahoma City a beautifully built up canal with new businesses and a boat ride, in Guthrie some interesting history, etc. I am excited about your visit. Don't let people doom and gloom you. We Americans aren't bad.

We have a bridal shower for our granddaughter, the one in the wreck back in March. It is tomorrow. Her wedding won't be huge--her mom will be her matron of honor so she is giving the shower tomorrow. Things certainly do change. There seem to be no hard and fast rules about weddings anymore.

Everyone, have a great weekend. Gloria, has it cooled down for you?

Trudy
08-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Maria I wouldn't be surprised if your "friend" isn't green with envy at your up-coming adventure. Looks like we are all trying to find out what goes on in our cities to make life interesting for you. I was thinking that I will research everything and then you and Alan can choose what you would like. I think I can safely say that your trip is on all our minds. Don't let anyone sabotage your enthusiasm.
As for the little granddaughter. My :angel: was due Dec 24 and she arrived Jan 6. My DD had the Brackston Hicks (my spelling is probably all wrong) for weeks. As for MC he was due also on Dec 24 and he came Dec 21. They will arrive when they are darn good and ready.

I came to my pc to see if the little sweetie had made her appearance. We have been pulling up the wall to wall carpeting today. WHAT AN UGLY JOB!! The broadloom isn't hard, but that underlay is a nightmare, it turned to powder in the traffic areas. I am going to be seeing green in my dreams for a long time. The living room is done, now we have the hallway to do. Not sure our knees will allow that to happen for a couple of days. We will see how we feel. I had told Slavika and our friend Nancy we were going to do it ourselves. They advised against it... we didn't listen. $200.00 plus tax doesn't seem that much to pay anymore.
I had forgotten what lovely hardwood floors I had. They are a beautiful honey color.

Well, still the clean up and then I am heading to the shower and my nightie. Night all...

muffinsmom
08-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've posted before on other threads that seem to have disappeared. I am back after joining WW and starting all over again. Ann, it's me Bernice. How are you doing? What happened to all the others?
I hope you allow me to join your group as I certainly qualify age wise.
I am looking for online support to keep myself motivated. So far I have lost 16.6 lbs in 11 weeks with WW. I would like to lose another 40 by the time I go back to Fl in Nov but I think that's rather unrealistic.
Little bit about me, I am 63 but in my head 40. Have 3 adult children and one grandson who will be 5 this month. Married 43 years this coming Sept.
Live 1/2 year in NJ and the other half Fl.:carrot:

Lizziepie
08-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Muffins Mom alias Bernice: Sure I remember you and I don't know what happened to the other thread. It just sort of faded away. I remember we met for a coffee down at Eagle Ridge Mall. So welcome to this group. this is a great bunch of gals and you will fit right in.

I do want to report at WW today I was down 1.8. :cp:I just have got to keep going. I have to be :strong: I need to lose all that I gained when I couldn't exercise. What a continuous struggle.:(

Maria: Maybe by now your new baby has decided to make an appearance. And the best I can do for your trip, is to tell you about the places I know to be beautiful in the great state of New York, since that was my home for so many years. We've already talked about Niagara Falls, and the Fingerlakes Area, as you are driving on towards New York City. If you are interested in baseball, the Baseball Hall of Fame is in Cooperstown N.Y. and that is not too far off the beaten path you have chosen. Also there are some interesting places in the Catskill Mountains. (closer to New York city) There is a way from Cooperstown to go south and then connect with the route that leads through the Catskills and on to NYC. Have your researcher look into that.

Trudy: Your project sounds like a major one. Are you planning now to keep the hard wood floors?

Karen: Will be looking for you at Buddy Freddies Tuesday around noon. I don't care about seeing the Dr. but am looking forward to seeing you.

Have a good weekend everyone. Ann

Karen L
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Ann we'll be there. DH is chomping at the bit to go so there is no holding him back.

Glad Maria's DD had that Baby. The waiting was getting to the poor girl.

Trudy Pulling up carpet. YUK!!!!!! I remember when we had it replaced in MN that is kind of why I'm dragging my feet about it now. (Well that and money)

Bernice,Welcome to our group. Hope you stick around. We will support you anyway we can just ask. We don't always talk weight so you really need to ask for what you need (Think WW Tools for Living Asserting). WOW 16.6 # in 11 weeks is super!! Way To Go. Do you live close to Ann here in Florida?

Have to go get some lunch will check in later

Karen

muffinsmom
08-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi,
Actually Karen we live in Venice 6months a year. We are part of that group known as the dreaded snowbird. LOL. My dh and I met Ann and her dh went we were in Ann's area looking for homes. They were both lovely.
The frustrating part of this losing wt is my scale is much friendlier(if you know what I mean) than the WW scale at the meetings. I am taking it one day at a time and hope to lose at least 20 lb more by the time we head back to Fl in Nov.

Karen L
08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Bernice,
We've just been here 2 years. I got to know Ann several years here on the boards before we moved down here. We live between Tampa and Lakeland.

My solution to the scale is throw it out. And only use the one at WW. Guess I better tell You I'm a former Leader:devil: (Don't hit me :stars: )

Weight Loss is the hardest thing we have to do for ourselves. But it is very important for our health. I mean if we want to enjoy these retirement years we have to be able to get up out of our chair to do it right. One of the ladies in our park said to me the other day I just need some one to kick me out of the bed in the morning so I'll get up to walk. I said Hey I'll do it! The only thing is I don't think her DH would like me walking into the bedroom and kicking his wife out of bed:D :welcome2:

Off my soap box
Night night
Karen

muffinsmom
08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Karen,
I hear you about the scales and I agree. A leader-good for you- I think that's is a smart thing to do because it keeps you aware and on track. Hate to tell ya but every decade I lose 80 to 100 lbs only to gain it back cause it's hard to stay motivated. However this time is different as in Fl I belong to the Y and I noticed there are no fat people around-conclusion-THEY ARE DEAD! So being I want to live on and so many of my friends are dealing with serious health issues I have decided this is a lifestyle change and must be permanent. Once I make up my mind, I am stubborn and I will do this for the __LAST__:bravo: time.

Karen L
08-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Bernice, Been a busy day so haven't been on the puter at all today. Just stopping by to say hi and stay on track.

Had my Pre- Op today so I'm all set for next week . Another busy day tomorrow but will get back here to tell you all about lunch with Ann.

Later.
karen

survivor
08-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Bernice,
I envy you being able to meet Ann and Karen for lunch. I would love to meet any of you for anything. It does sound rather ridiculous to others, but we have known each other for years and still haven't met. So, wouldn't know them if I passed them on the street, but know a lot about each.

Karen gives good advice. Once a leader, always a leader. I have a friend who had gastric bypass and has lost about 80 pounds. Before she had heart trouble and walked with a cane. Now, she just got back from China where she taught English to Chinese teachers for a month and had the best time--no arthritis and no heart issues. Weight does make us sick and old before our time.

Glenda, the Oklahoma connection

Trudy
08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
You have come to the right board to post. We all can relate to the up and down of our weight. I am 1/2 of the Canadian Connection. Right now, my weight is up..not a pretty sight. We talk about all kinds of things besides our weight. I guess that is how we have become friends, even though we have not actually met. Of course I met the other 1/2 of the Canadian Connection, Slavika as we have been friends for years. She got her computer first and got me to post at 3fc.
Glenda You are so funny, notice how I copied your "Connection" sign off? I enjoyed the pictures of your grandkids.. they are so cute. I have met so many women and men whose health has greatly improved since they joined the gym and work out on a regular basis, as well as watch what they eat.
Karen I am so tempted to put the scale away (can't throw it out), but I get on it every morning and want to kick it into space. I tell myself that I should only weigh myself once a week. Maybe I would do better that way, not seeing the daily fluctuations that drive me nuts.
Ann Taking up the rug is awful. We worked on it so hard, both of us have bruised knees and elbows. We had to scrape in places, sweep up sand and clumps of pad, vacuum and then wash and dry the floor. But, I know it was the right thing for us to do. There is no way 1 man could come into my house, take off the rug and pad, clean it like we did and lay new carpeting in 1 day. My hardwood is lovely, but I have been there and done that, I like the comfort and feel of carpeting and will be glad when the job is done. Yes, it is expensive, but it was on sale and we ordered at the right time. As of July the prices were going up 7% because of the hurricanes last summer. Once again, oil makes to prices go up.
And no, all that work did not give me a weight loss. Probably because I was so pooped we ordered out for din dins.
Maria So glad your grand daughter arrived safe, sound and beautiful. She is a perfect weight too, not sure of the length though... is 53 cm 20"?? Metric still confuses me.

Time to call it a day... night all..

Lizziepie
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi All:

First off, Karen and our hubbies and I had a wonderful lunch together. We were talking about how we probably know more about our cyber friends than some people that we live close to. we have shared so many things - happy and sad. It is not like getting together with a stranger, and Glenda- you would recognize us, as we have our collage to refer to.

About the dreaded scale. I have found for me that because I often retain fluid, especially if I have eaten something a bit salty, that I only get on once a week, and that on the morning I am going to weigh-in, to check if my scale and the WW ones are somewhat alike. I got tired of the frustrations of daily fluctuations.

My spikey hair is getting too long to behave, but am getting it cut again on Friday and can hardly wait. One thing about this sort of a cut, it is meant to spike and after about so long the only thing to do is cover it with so much glop it doesn't manage too well, and for me it makes my head itch.

I have to be careful this week, since I had lunch out on Tues. will have lunch out on Thur. with out 'Monthly' group, and lunch out on Friday. and then weigh-in on Sat.

Bernice: You are doing really well with your losing. And I know about the struggle to take it off and keep it off. There are a lot of life-time members in our group, that have had to go back (like me) to get back to where they need to be- at goal again. And for us all it is the same struggle. That is the good thing about WW, you can eat anything, but control is the key. Why do we have such hard times with portion control. I think that sometimes it is simple food addiction.

Maria: hope you have arrived safely back home by now, and all 'puffed up' as an "Ooma" once again. Loved the pictures. We wanted to buy a bottle of wine at Sams yesterday, and there were a lot of Australian wines, but we had no idea what to get. We don't like anything really dry. What do you reccommend? These labels had a picture of a golden Kangaroo on them.

I'm reading a J.D. Robb book(alias Nora Roberts) and heve to get back to it. A good mystery. Goodnight for now. Ann

nanacas
08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Good Morning

Welcome to Bernice! You sound like you will fit in just perfectly with this group. We are in the same boat....I feel sometimes that mine is leaking but I keep bailing.

Karen: Next week is your big day....good luck! I am sure you will come through with flyiing colors. It will be no time before you will be back to walking.

Maria: Glad your back and that the travel went smoothly. Your newest granddaught is just beautiful. Get some rest.

Ann: I think it was "Blue Smoke" that was my last Nora Roberts book and I do like her J.D. Robb series as well. I think I have read most of her books by either name.

Trudy: We have the Oklahoma Connection and now the Canadian Connection can I be the NE Connection?

We had a family party on Sunday and it was hectic but fun. Had all but the Raleigh contingent here....7 gks and 5 adults and us. It was raining hard early in the AM but by the time everyone got here it had stopped so that after we ate the boys were able to go out to the driveway and play football catch. Little Stephanie, 6, was in high gear and didn't stop giggling and laughing all day. Her brother, Ryan, 9,...he's the one who played Santa last Christmas...was in rare form as well. He started out, as he was looking at my computer and a screen saver of the Vatican came up, by saying "Oh, that's that place in Rome". I never knew he ever knew where that was. Later, as he was eating his ice cream cone, he held it in front of his mouth and said, "I would like to thank the Academy". Where he comes up with this stuff I will never know. But, the topper was just as they were getting into the car out front. He was in the front passenger seat and I leaned in the window and was saying 'What would you like to be when you grow up...a scientist, a mathamatition?' He didn't know what he wanted to be but his father who was in the driver's seat piped up and said 'Ryan, you want to be just like me don't you, debonair, and handsome?' Ryan looked at him and said "Does that mean I will have to grow hair on my privates?" Well, I just fell over laughing and I think his mother wanted to crawl under the seat. He is too funny and you never know what he is thinking. Every one had a great time and it took me quite a while to wipe the laughing tears from my eyes after they left.

Gloria

survivor
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Gloria, yes, you are the NE connection. I do not know where kids get these things, but Ryan sounds like a natural-born hoot! Our little Jackson is that way too. He calls me "Grimda". That is a combination of Glenda and Grandma and it is hilarious. As his uncle said the other day, Jackson is unique. He is the only kid I know who can laugh and cry almost at the same time.

Well, nervous today. It is that cancer doctor checkup time and just on edge. Guess that never goes away.

It has actually cooled off here. I have several flowers that have almost bit the dust, not because of lack of water, but because of air temperature. I have kind of felt that way too this summer. Yuck!

Bernice, I hope you come back. We get several people who pop in and then never pop back. Promise, we are nice.

Karen, it is almost here and soon will be in the past. Yea! My, how things just come out of the blue, you know?

We have a niece's child's birthday on one side of the state on Saturday and my hubby's aunt's 90th birthday party on the other side of the state on Sunday. Glad it is a small state.
Glenda

flaggies
08-25-2006, 03:43 AM
onto the next thread all....

Maria