LA Weight Loss - Are they telling me the truth?

View Full Version : Are they telling me the truth?

Jackiemarie
08-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been reading the posts for weeks now, and thought I take the plunge and post. Everyone here seems so nice and supportive. It's a really nice board to visit. I'm doing LA weightloss and going to the center. I have only lost 4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. They told me today that I will NOT lose, if I don't continue with the bars. I told them today, that in the past, when I've lost weight, I've had to limit my sugar intake (I'm hypoglycemic and all that sugar makes me sluggish). They told me that the bars speed up weightloss because of all the good soy in them. Is this REALLY true?? I know my body better than they do, and I'm thinking about just telling them that I don't want the bars. They have way to much sugar in them anyway, and I've been subing them with LUna bars. But I don't want to have to depend on a bar, and I'm not losing weight because of them I think. Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

I'm on the purple plan, and I exercise 3 days a week.

Breakfast every day is usually yogurt, 1/2 cup oats, few walnuts (my fat), and somtimes berries. I must eat oats and walnuts for my high cholesteral

Lunch is always usually an approved Lean Cuisine during the week (i've started back teaching and the frozen meals are so handy). ON the weekends I eat grilled chix or something. And fruit

Dinner: Is usually 2 half cups of broccoli or green beans or something, 6oz chicken or some other approved meat, and fruit.

I've been doing the Luna bars, up until today.

Oh, and I get in 64 oz water daily.

Thank you kindly to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Blessings,

Jackiemarie

Sue1968
08-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Jackiemarie!! and welcome!

I've been on-program since January 1 and was down 31lbs (gained 5back during vacation). I lost pretty fast at first , then it slowed down when I exercised. I do NOT do bars.

They have tried to tell me several times that I would loose faster if I used the bars, but financially I could not swing it and the southbeach diet , other bars tend to give me migranes.

IMO, if you can believe it I think the exercise might be slowing you down (muscle weighs more than fat) -- I was a victim of this as from April til June, I stayed the same -- very very fustrating; but I was also starting to use weights.

I also had problems when I used alot of frozen dinners -- maybe try to limit them to 1x-2x a week.

Good luck and dont give up -- many people here have had great success with the program --

aphil
08-08-2006, 08:01 AM
No, it isn't true at all. You will lose-because the plan is a low calorie one. They are simply trying to get a sale-they are a business, after all, and profit is part of that.

Actually-2 pounds a week, which is what LAWL tries to achieve with their members-is at the HIGH end of healthy weight loss. A healthy weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pounds per week...and by losing 4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks-you are actually doing JUST PERFECT. Not everyone loses 2 pounds a week like clockwork. Please don't worry-4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks is wonderful. :hug:

Repo girl
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I cannot do the bars for health reasons, and I have had a lot of success on the plan. Also, if you have blood sugar problems, the bars could be slowing you down. See, they will cause an insulin spike, and when your insulin is high, your body stores fat. I would tell your center that you refuse to do the bars and insist on an all food plan. They will probably bump you up to red.

Welcome to 3FC!!!

DeafinlySmart
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
LAWL is a good program for many. It definately has the accountability factor many need along with support. I have heard MANY people not do the bars. They do usually get bumped up to an all food plan. If there is another LAWL center nearby, try visiting it and see if you get less sales pressure (some don't try to sell as hard as others). Once you get on the right plan, likely they will ease off anyway. Yes, they are a business. I also agree that 2lbs a week guarantee is a little high. Sure some people do it. Sure some lose 2lbs sometimes (I did). Most of the time less is the average healthy weight loss.

Boo'sMom
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I would definitely cut back on the frozen meals for a while and see if that helps--lots of sodium. Tell them to put a note on your chart not to push sales--mine did. Just tell them you know about the products and if you decide to try something you will let them know. Even at my highest weight I rarely lost 2 lbs per week--maybe the first few on plan. And the closer I get to goal the slower it gets. DO NOT let it stress you out. Some will, most won't. Remember the more you have to lose the faster it will come off. I have learned one of the most damaging things you can do to yourself is compare your losses to someone elses. Good Luck--and hang tough with your center--remember they work for you!

aphil
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Remember the more you have to lose the faster it will come off. I have learned one of the most damaging things you can do to yourself is compare your losses to someone elses.

:D

This is SOO true. A lot of women here at 3FC get jealous when they see someone who has lost 3-4 pounds in a week's time...or who is having larger losses than they-but a lot of times this is due to them starting out at a larger weight. When they get smaller, the weight loss will slow down. The last 10 pounds often come off REAAALLLY slow...even as slow as 1/2 pound per month. This isn't because anything is wrong, your body just uses less calories the less you weigh, so it takes a lot longer to create enough deficit for a loss.

Also-Katie is the PERFECT example of a successful member here who has done LAWL without the Lites. ;)

Repo girl
08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks Aphil, how nice of you!

StargazerJMK
08-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I agree with everyone here, you're probably going to need to cut out, or at a minimum cut back on the frozen meals. They are WAY high in sodium and that could be a problem.

I'm on Purple plan with no bars (I started January 17, 2006)and I've been losing about 1 to 2 pounds per week (I think the average is 1.7 or something like that). Until I went on vacation this was consistent. However right now some things have changed, the Dr. lowered my dose of water pills and BP meds and now I'm retaining water. MY COD keeps trying to tell me that one rib of celery is doing it, but I think that's BS. I've been doing 1 rib of celery for quite some time in my salads and its never been an issue before.

In my case I KNOW its the change in medications.

Boo'sMom
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Aphil--I like to think of myself as "frustrated" not jealous--LOL. JK--I am often green with envy over how easy it seems for some!;)

Repo girl
08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh, it used to be so easy. I was one of those girls who the lbs just fell off of for a long time. Now I fight for 1 lb at a time. Fuuny how that is, huh?

aphil
08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I usually lose the first 10-20 pounds almost effortlessly when I start out after each of my pregnancies...then I go through the stage where I lose about a pound a week...and once I get down to about 175-to go any lower I have to work for each and every pound. It goes VERY slow after that...sometimes not having a loss for a month or more before the scale drops a pound or two. I have to REALLY concentrate on "non-scale victories" such as muscle definition showing up in my body...or being able to do something fitness-wise that I couldn't before...or a full week of being 100% on plan with my eating and exercise and giving myself a reward for that...because it IS frustrating to work so hard and have the weight loss happen so slowly.

I just try to keep thinking that I am learning the lifestyle changes to keep the weight off for life...and try to find some small bit of comfort in that.
:)

Repo girl
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
See, I think that is the best attitude to have. There is no "I can't wait to get this weight off so that I can inhale cupcakes and chips". Making a permanent lifestyle change is the ONLY way.

Dairy Fairy
08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
One thing I noticed...How are you counting half a cup of oats? That seems like it would be more than 2 starches since 1/2 cup of cooked oats is 1 starch. My oatmeal box says 1/2 cup dry is 150 calories, so that could maybe be a problem if you are counting as one, esp with blood sugar problems.

Boo'sMom
08-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Dairy--how are you feeling?? Good to see ya! We miss you around here.

green0923
08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
The statement about the bars being the only way to lose is simply not true -- as everyone else has indicated.

I have been on the plan less than 7 months. I have lost 88 lbs to date. And I have never even taken a bite of the bars, smoothies, etc.

Granted, I have a lot to lose, so it came off very quickly so far. But they can't attribute my success to their bars -- because I've never used them.

Good luck!

Jackiemarie
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Awww Ladies, thanks so very much!! I believe I will go ahead and tell them that I will prefer doing an all food plan. And thank you all for the warm welcome! :) Oh and Dairy Fairy, I count my 1/2 cup of oats as one starch. The people at LA Weightloss suggested that I try to get in my fat, and one starch earlier in the day. So that's what I'm doing. I mix the oats with my yogurt, walnuts (for fat), and my berries...all together. It's pretty good too!

DeafinlySmart
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
The statement about the bars being the only way to lose is simply not true -- as everyone else has indicated.

I have been on the plan less than 7 months. I have lost 88 lbs to date. And I have never even taken a bite of the bars, smoothies, etc.

Granted, I have a lot to lose, so it came off very quickly so far. But they can't attribute my success to their bars -- because I've never used them.

Good luck!

WTG!!

CafeAmericain
08-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Jackiemarie, I'm another member who doesn't do the bars and the plan seems to be working just fine without them. :-)

Dairy Fairy
08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Jackie, you may want to look on your oats box and see how many dry oats are needed to make 1/2 cup serving of cooked oats. I believe the serving size on LAWL is a 1/2 cup cooked, which is less than 1/2 cup uncooked. Of course, with another food plan you are going to have an extra starch or maybe more. Just an idea.

Dairy Fairy
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Lea Ann, I'm doing really well most days. Today isn't one of those days ;) I'm kind of nauseated and not really happy that I am hosting playgroup today and will have to clean up after the toddler tornado that ensues. Maybe Erik will help tonight. I am loving the 6 dairy servings I am required to eat while baking twins. That is so nice after being on LAWL where all I got was a measly serving!

Mary

Repo girl
08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
6?! Oh, baby, am I jealous. I could live on dairy.

Dairy Fairy
08-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Katie, I pretty much am. They had the "good milk" from the small dairy on sale for 99 cents/half gallon. I bought 6 yesterday and they expire on the 14. They won't be wasted ;) The milk is half my protein for the day. Meat is frigging nasty this go around.

I had a dream my husband picked out two puppies for free from a guy who was moving and I thought one was a girl and one was a boy. DH said they were both boys. I was so disappointed and asked why would he pick two boys when we could have had one of each. I wonder if this is my body's way of telling me to get prepared for a house of boys. I was kind of hoping for one of each since it was twins and this will be my last go round. Inever have cared about the gender of my kids, but when you have twins you just think maybe one of them will be different and you will get to experience having both boys and girls. What do you think?

Repo girl
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Ya know, my gut says stick with the DH. I am thinking boys too.

aphil
08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Dairy-have they said whether they are identical, or fraternal?

Repo girl
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Aphil, how are you doing? I was reading on another thread that you are really close to labor. How exciting!

aphil
08-09-2006, 03:53 PM
I am currently in "early labor" right now...which is the first stage of labor when you are dilated between 0-4cm. The contractions started Friday night...and when I went into the doctor's office Monday morning, I was 50% effaced/thinned, and dilated to 3cm. The contractions started at about 20 minutes apart...and currently they are about every 13-14 minutes or so.

They said that early labor in some women can be hours...days for others. It is a new experience for me, because my other two were both induced at the hospital-and when they do that, they don't want you "in there taking up a bed for days" so, if you don't progress every hour or two when they check you...they "turn up" the IV drip. ;) So...this is a different ballgame.

The contractions aren't too bad...but I have back labor really bad, and it feels like a sledgehammer hit me in the lower back a few times. :p I do like being at home right now, though-and having the bag by the door-rather than the kids and DH having to sit in a sterile room "bored" all day.

I had a regularly scheduled appt. already for tomorrow am, and they are doing an ultrasound to check the baby's size. The purpose is to determine how large he is-because my babies usually have to be induced early for size-and they talked about a possible c. If he is early enough for the size to be okay (I am currently 36 1/2 weeks out of 40) then I can just "go on with it" but if they think he is too big then they might go ahead and admit me for a c-section after my visit-especially if I am further dilated than I was Monday morning. This is a pretty good possibility-because Monday at my 36 week measure, I am measuring at 41 weeks.

Hopefully I will have news to share really soon. :)

Repo girl
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, how exciting. Good luck for a speedy delivery!

dolphn545
08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Aphil - :goodluck: to you and your new baby to be! Here's to a healthy & speedy ... recovery (?) can I say that for Labor??
Keep us posted as you are able to! :)

Dairy Fairy
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Aphil, good luck. It's such an exciting time!

I think mine are fraternal. With the miscarriage I had, I read it was common for women to become "more fertile." Since I am already pretty fertile, I had a chance of hyperovulating. Combine that with a family history of fraternals and two sacs and what appear to be 2 distinct placentas that make it more likely to be fraternal. A blood test when they are born is the only way to really know, I hear. I hate when people are picky about the type of kids they have, and here I am a little down because I probably won't have a girl. It's not that I don't love my son and won't love boys, because I actually love the roughhousing and stuff associated with boys. I just miss being in a mother/daughter relationship since my mom passed away. If I am having 2 more boys, at least I don't have to buy a new wardrobe or tons of new toys. I already told my family if I was having two boys do not buy clothes. I buy DS clothes, then my MIL buys a set and my sisters give me some so I end up with so much stuff he could wear a different outfit every day for a month. If they want to get a gift, I pray they will think "gear." Better yet, give the gift of postpartum help :)

Boo'sMom
08-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Mary--sorry you are sickly today--hope it passes quickly

Aphil--best wishes

aphil
08-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Mary-it definitely does sound like fraternal...with the two separate sacs and everything. I know exactly what you mean about wanting a girl...I thought this one was a girl until I was 20 weeks-simply because my symptoms were completely different with my son and my daughter. It wasn't that I "wanted" a girl more...it is just because of the symptoms I became "accustomed" to the idea of one...and then had to totally rethink everything afterwards. It took me about a month to even buy anything "boy" because I had such strong feelings about everything.
I will keep you in my thoughts. Let me know the results when you find out. My ears are always open if you find out they ARE both boys. It is very normal, and very common to experience gender disappointment on some level. With that being said, though...you never know. You COULD have one of each...or two daughters. Only a few more weeks will tell. :hug:

sforck97@yahoo.com
08-09-2006, 09:32 PM
hello everyone, my name is Stacy. Im new to this site and i love it. I started LAWL about 3 weeks ago. I have lost 8 pounds so far. I had a few questions. Does anyone take the supplements/do they really work? And how about exercise?
Alittle about myself, Im a single mom of two beautiful boys. Looking to lose weight and feel better about myself.
Stacy

Dairy Fairy
08-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Aphil. At least I wouldn't have to buy more clothes (Eli has too many cute things for one kid) and the twins could share our currently unoccupied bigger bedroom. I hate feeling "let down" because babies are so miraculous. Like you said, I just psyched myself for one of each because I felt it would be easier for Eli if the twins weren't same sex...I felt that bond would be too hard for him to break into. Oh well. I guess I could be wrong!

dawn78
08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Dairy - I’ve never heard that before about being more fertile after having a miscarriage. That’s very interesting and I guess makes sense. After I read that I hand a “light bulb” moment and remembered that a friend of mine is currently pregnant with twins and prior to conceiving she had a miscarriage. Wow I learn so much on this site!

I can totally relate about the mother/daughter relationship. I too am hoping for a girl for the same reason, not that another baby boy wouldn’t be just as sweet but I really miss what my mother and I had. I just want to be able to have that again in a sense. It obviously could never replace it, but I just want to be able to pass on the mother/daughter things my mom taught me and to have the bond we had. I feel my son and I have a great bond, as my brother and my mother did, but it’s not quit the same as mother/daughter. Both relationships are so different and as much as we try and my mother tried, you just can’t relate to everything boys/men go through. And I so want to start buying girly things!

With this pregnancy I’m starting to lean more towards a boy, because I think this pregnancy is too similar to the last. I know that may not mean anything, but I’m trying to prepare myself. Of course my family and friends all believe it’s a girl. I haven’t started showing yet so I don’t know why they think that. It’s probably just because that’s what they’re all hoping for. Talk about being under pressure! Although my husband’s psychic grandmother did have a dream that I was having a girl. I guess I’ll know in about 6 weeks! I can’t wait!

Sorry to ramble on in the LAWL forum about pregnancy!

Dairy Fairy
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
About psychic relatives...

My husband's aunt (whom I love) did the wedding ring test they way her mom did it (which is apparently a little different than the way other's do it in the interpretation but I didn't get that part. She said I was having a girl, not twins and not a boy. Zang...wrong answer ;) I think the only person that truly knows is the mom. I just think sometimes we get hung up on "what we want" or listening to other people.

debbie1388
08-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I started off with the purple plan with bars for the first 20 weeks..(bought them in bulk) and lost 28 pounds in 3 months. Then I switched to red plan w/o bars, and the weight loss came to almost a screeching halt. I'd go up one, down two, up three......for about 2 months. I even got so depressed, I quit going to the LAWLC and just tried to stay OP by myself. Big Mistake!!!
I went back after a month, and not only did I get my weeks back, I also changed back to purple with the bars. In two weeks, I have now lost 7 pounds!!!

I don't really know if it has anything to do with the bars or not, but they really fill me up and take away a lot of cravings. So for right now, I am truly a believer!!!

Joni135
08-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Debbie1388 - is that your puppy dog in your avatar??....I want one!! I have 2 adorable brindle boxers, but we always wanted a white one...
Congrats on your WL journey....looks like you're doing great.

Prazteam
08-15-2006, 12:27 AM
It says in their broshure that the bars are not required to lose weight!