Does it Work? - Shangri-la Diet -- comments on it and experiences

DixieAmazon
05-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Is anyone else testing out The Shangri-La Diet developed by Seth Roberts? It is really more of a method than a diet. I decided to try it out for and have lost 7 pounds in two weeks.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I started November 13, 2005. I was 240 lbs (well, maybe just a little more).

This morning, before jogging a couple miles, I was 184.0 lbs.

The jogging is a recent change (hope to tell you that at 240 I couldn't jog fifty feet).

But it has worked very well for me. I blog about my personal story at ethesis.blogspot.com and am trying to collect other people's personal stories.

Stephen M (Ethesis).

(I found this forum by searching for BYU Judo and then saw it again this morning on seth robert's forums).

Stephen M (Ethesis)
05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm surprised that there are not more posts.

This is a neat diet, the best part of which being that you can try it without spending much, if any money, on special diet foods or anything else. Give it a week to see if it moves your set point or not. If it works for you, you will see it.

You can get all the basics for free on the web, and it works.

DixieAmazon
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I lost another pound! :carrot:

Stephen M (Ethesis)
05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I lost another pound! :carrot:

Congrats. Keep posting.

Hun.e.B
05-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Well after doing alot of research and reading online, I've decided to see if this actually works. I'm a big calorie in vs calorie out believer, but if this can suppress appetite I'm all for it. I did the oil this morning and ick! I got it down but gagged and not sure I wanna do it again. I used 1 TBSP "light tasting" olive oil. I either need to maybe try canola oil, or go for the sugar instead. I kinda think the oil is healthier for you than using white sugar too. Maybe I'm wrong. I read somewhere of someone using confectioners sugar because it mixes better in the water. So far so good today, I know its only the first day so its probably mental but I'm totally aware of my eating. I dont really feel hungry or like munching this afternoon at all. Thats always a good sign even if it is just mental. If I read right it takes approx 15 days for this to take full effect...is that right?

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just jumping in to say I'm giving it a shot!

DixieAmazon
05-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Many people prefer canola or Smart Balance oil to the extra light olive oil. Personally I am not using the sugar.

Hun.e.B
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Okay I did the oil again this afternoon, after reading this on Dr. Roberts site, mixing the oil with a little bit of cold water and it went down no problems at all. I did 1 TBSP this morning and because I'm feeling hungry I did 2 TBSP this afternoon. Still hungry though and I know it can take awhile to kick in.

~melissa

DixieAmazon
05-23-2006, 07:02 PM
It works at different rates for different people. I am one of the slower losers, but the trend is in the right direction, down!

I am Dixie_Amazon at Seth's forums.

Hun.e.B
05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Well i did great during the day yesterday, was pretty hungry but it was only day 1 so I suppose thats to be expected. I ended up overeating dinner last night, it was a meal I usually always overeat...spaghetti, its my weakness. Hopefully today will be a much better day!

~melissa

DixieAmazon
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
It can take awhile to kick in. I did fine yesterday, mainly because I was to busy to eat. ;)

Stephen M (Ethesis)
05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Okay I did the oil again this afternoon, after reading this on Dr. Roberts site, mixing the oil with a little bit of cold water and it went down no problems at all. I did 1 TBSP this morning and because I'm feeling hungry I did 2 TBSP this afternoon. Still hungry though and I know it can take awhile to kick in.

~melissa

I find that pouring a half cup of room temperature water into a glass and then putting the oil on top of it and then drinking it works like a miracle in terms of getting the oil down. I wish I'd been the one to invent that trick.

DixieAmazon
05-25-2006, 08:41 AM
When I use coconut oil I put it in hot water with a tsp. of sugar. I must say my lips aren't chapped. :D

Hun.e.B
05-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I've heard that coconut oil is really good for you, but doesnt it have a flavor to it?

~melissa

DixieAmazon
05-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Some do. Expeller pressed is supposed to have less or no flavor. The refined type produced by LouAna is flavorless.

Hun.e.B
05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm already noticing a huge difference in my skin already, normally I've gotta moisturize twice a day and I've not used lotion for 2 days now. Still a little dry but nothing like before. I bet it'll just keep getting better.

Forgot to say this morning that I'm down a lb today.

~melissa

DixieAmazon
05-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I noticed that the rough patches on my elbows are gone!

esteban
05-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi All!

I am starting this diet today. One thing I am unclear about is that (I know you have to wait one hour after you take either the oil or the sugar water) but how long after you eat do you have to wait to take either...is it an hour or say can you eat something and then in a short while take the oil or sugar water?? I have the book but I must have missed this part.

-judi

DixieAmazon
05-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Nothing one hour before the oil and one hour after. I try to think of it as my snack.;)

Good luck!

Hun.e.B
05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Thats how I think of it too. Just remember the idea is not to associate any taste with the oil or sugar water. So no eating at least an hour before and at least an hour after. Also if you are doing the sugar water they recommend that you drink it over a half hour period. Good luck! Its day 5 for me and every day it gets better!

~melissa

esteban
05-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info. !

-judi

esteban
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Dixie Amazon...I have visisted your blog. I hope you post regularly there because I weigh almost the same as you (5 pounds less) and am very interested to see how this Shangrila thing will work for us and how fast at this weight:carrot:

I have been having trouble with One Hour window so I have ended up only taking 1 T of sugar and 1 T of oil for the last couple of days. I have lost 3 pounds but I am not too excited since I usually lose this in the first few days of any diet. Cravings for high glycemic carbs and sugar are WAYYYYY down which is good since those are my usual pit falls.

DixieAmazon
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I am going to try to post at least once a week this summer. Thanks for checking it out!

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, I've lost sixty pounds on this diet so far, my mom decided to try it and has lost twenty (she is 70 and didn't have much weight to lose) and it is rippling out through the family.

Stephen

esteban
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
:bravo: :flow1: :flow1: Stephen that is amazing and SOOOO encouraging. I have been on this diet since May 26 and this morning I found I lost 5 pounds. I have a lot to lose so it encouraging.

judi

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-04-2006, 01:01 PM
:bravo: :flow1: :flow1: Stephen that is amazing and SOOOO encouraging. I have been on this diet since May 26 and this morning I found I lost 5 pounds. I have a lot to lose so it encouraging.

judi

I'm glad it is working for you as well.

Everyone using the oil has better skin and hair. The hair was a surprise. I've never thought about hair before, but it is strange to suddenly have it get silky.

I'm fifty, after all.

LaDean
06-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi, i am going to give it a try starting this week. how many times do you have the oil???? it sounds interesting. Ladean

Hun.e.B
06-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I do the oil twice a day, at 1030am and at 230 pm. 2 TBSP each time. Good luck!

esteban
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Stephen...you are just a kid :woo: !! I am going to be 56 next week.

-judi

Pat S.
06-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I think the idea we can lose weight so easily in our later years is amazing. I am 64 and have been fighting it since I quit smoking and went through menopause.
I know this is the answer for me I have never had it so easy I have lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks
Pat.S

LaDean
06-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi, sounds good everyone. your doing great. this is my 2nd day with it. i do not feel as hungry. so going for it. especially for the skin. good luck to all and have a good day. LaDean

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-12-2006, 09:55 AM
For what it is worth, I've lost sixty-two pounds using the Shangri-la diet (I started November 13, about five-six months before the book came out).

The neat part is that you can try the diet without buying the book or buying much of anything.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I think the idea we can lose weight so easily in our later years is amazing. I am 64 and have been fighting it since I quit smoking and went through menopause.
I know this is the answer for me I have never had it so easy I have lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks
Pat.S

An older lady where I go to church lost ten pounds (so far) on the diet, next thing you know, half the congregation is doing it, especially a number of older people who had given up ever losing weight.

It is neat. My mom's 70, btw.

ChicCityChick
06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Okay. I'll bite. [heh heh...]. I wanna try this too. The one thing that makes me upset after I fail on a diet is how much I spent on the book. Could someone outline the whole thing for me or direct me to a site for free? You can pm me if necessary....

Many thanks!!!

ChicCityChick
06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Okay. I think I got enough info to go on. Starting Wednesday morning....we'll see.:^:

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Post with results, pro or con.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
06-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Okay. I'll bite. [heh heh...]. I wanna try this too. The one thing that makes me upset after I fail on a diet is how much I spent on the book. Could someone outline the whole thing for me or direct me to a site for free? You can pm me if necessary....

Many thanks!!!

It is neat that you can try the diet, with things you have around the house, without spending any money. Almost everyone has some cooking oil or some sugar.

If it works, then spend twelve dollars on Amazon.com for the book.

I'm so glad it worked for me (I've bought, and given away, a boatload of books).

Best,

Stephen

Hun.e.B
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Try the library too, sometimes they've got the book you can read for free!

~melissa

Stephen M (Ethesis)
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
My mom has lost twenty pounds so far. I'm fifty, though I'll skip her age, you can tell it works for those of us who are "older."

;)

Stephen M (Ethesis)
07-10-2006, 08:58 AM
The same is true for expeller expressed walnut oil -- major difference between it and the other kind of oil.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
07-14-2006, 11:38 PM
For what it is worth, I hit 65 pounds lost and posted a picture of myself on my blog. I'm very pleased (obviously) with the Shangri-la diet.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Darn, make that 67 pounds lost.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
I read the review of the book, and I think the reviewer got parts of it confused, though that is probably as much the editor's fault as the reviewers.

I am an emotional eater. I gained about sixty pounds in the course of about six years as I buried three children, twenty pounds a funeral.

But, the Shangri-la Diet worked for me. No one I worked with was willing to really try it until I'd lost about sixty pounds. I now have two co-workers who it has also worked for, one who can finally wear his wedding ring after years of being too fat.

The hardest part is drinking the oil. I switched to a blend of extra light olive oil and Hain walnut oil. Pour three tablespoons of oil (any oil, my mother uses Canola oil and has lost more than twenty pounds, visiting me and seeing the changes convinced her to try) in a cup with a cup of hot water and one tablespoon of sugar. Swirl, and drink it down. The water kind of floats the oil in. Rinse your mouth out with water.

Don't drink, eat or taste anything (including gum, mints, cigarettes, coffee and diet coke) for an hour before or after. If it works for you, within a week or so you will notice that you feel differently about food, which will let you control how and when you eat.

If it works, just keep using the oil. You will notice smoother hair. If you take a high omega 3 oil, you will also sleep better. When you've lost as much weight as you want to lose, use less oil.

After a month or two, if the diet is working for you, buy the book.

This is the only diet I know of that you can start with whatever you have around the house, buy the book only if it works, and that you can use with other diets if you feel like it.

You've all read how calorie free soft drinks are correlated with gaining weight because they are thought to push your set point up. Flavor free calories seem to do the reverse, pushing your set point down, and your body follows.

Pretty easy to try for a week or so. At the worst, if you've used extra light (not extra virgin) olive oil or walnut oil the omega 3s will have pushed your HDL/LDLs in the right direction.

That's what I'd have said in the review and what I tell my co-workers and people at church who ask me about the diet.

Suzanne 3FC
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Stephen, I'm curious about you :) I don't mean to be rude, but you've posted here 17 times since you joined in May, and every post except one has been to promote the Shangri-La diet. We are aware that there is a group of bloggers/posters whose goal to promote this book, and we wonder if you are part of it because you seem to have no other interest here. We've had an unusual number of new members show up to post once or twice about the virtues of this diet, and never be seen again.

Please don't misunderstand - I think it's GREAT that you have lost weight and improved your health! It's always an accomplishment, no matter what the circumstances. But our website is devoted to the bigger picture of good nutrition that comes with most weight loss diets. We talk about how to increase the whole grains in our diets, or which exercise videos are the best for obese women. Shangri-La barely touches on the subject.

I'm the one that wrote the review. I bought the book with high anticipation, due to the hype from the blogs. (Yes, I paid for the book, I'm not part of the blogosphere that was provided with free copies for promotion.) I didn't say anything particularly bad about the book, other than pointing out what the author thought of exercise. I just explained what the book promoted and what it didn't. If you want to see a BAD review, read this review (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152784687328&call_pageid=968867505381&col=Columnist1123840907014) by Megan Ogilvie. And this one by health expert Jonny Bowden (http://www.jonnybowden.com/2005_09_01_archive.html).

creaky
08-04-2006, 01:51 AM
I've posted to 3FC for a while a few months ago. I haven't posted in a while as I got caught up in exploring the internet through deli.cio.us. I read Robert's book and participate on his forums. I'm a SLDer and take about 3 tablespoons of extra light olive oil per day for the past two weeks. I will admit I haven't lost any weight in the past two weeks, but I also have a broken right ankle so I can't exercise. But I'm eating about 1400-1800 cals per day with the cals from the oil not added into the total.

I thins Robert's program assists any person who is in the process of losing weight. There are so many good books on nutrition, losing weight and just watching what you eat (counting calories) that I don't think that Seth could have added anything new to that area. If you just sit down with a diabetes exhange list and know how many calories per day you need to eat, etc then you can lose weight. Put in a sensible exercise program and over time the weight will come off.

The Shangri-la Diet had completely removed my sweet tooth. It is gone. This has been the greatest aspect of the program. I had a terrible craving for sweets all my life. This is one of the reasons why I was over 150 pounds overweight. Sweets now taste very bland to me, so they aren't any fun to eat.

Yes, my appetite is decreased so I'm not always thinking about food and my next meal. I'm not obsessed with food. I can go to a restaurant, only anything I want and know I won't be able to eat all of it. I take half my meal home and don't feel deprived.

I know by eating right and exercising I will lose weight. There isn't any magic pill that will do this for me, but the Shangri-La diet is a very useful tool for me to use.

Christy K

Stephen M (Ethesis)
08-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Suzanne 3FC -- the question is more than fair. I came to the boards in response to someone else mentioning an SLD (Shangri la Diet) thread -- and that is most of my interest here.

Now, if you just want to know more about me, you can read about my girls at adrr.com/living or my blog at ethesis.blogspot.com -- just browsing those three locations will probably tell you more than enough to sate your curiousity.

I wasn't trying to say that the review was bad, but more that you had kind of missed the point about the diet, which is really a method for moving your set point, surrounded by diet like publisher's trappings. But it really isn't a typical diet and exercise regimine, it is a different approach.

I agree, whole heartedly, that SLD doesn't cover things like making sure you get enough protien, exercise routines (including stretching and balance work) or other things this site seems very good for. It is not a complete tool chest, it is only about a method to move your set point so your weight will follow.

But it has been fun to watch my friends and family follow the method in addition to the things they have been doing. Suddenly everything else works for them. And it is easy to try, one of the few things you can do without buying the book or spending money.

Which is why I've decided to spend some time supporting the concept. It seems to work more often or not (about 9 out of 10 times with the people I've been getting to start on it), it is easy to try without spending any money, and 2-3 days in, people suddenly start feeling different about food (yes, I know, some people have taken up to seven weeks, and others have had the reverse effect -- one mailed me his book) and it changes everything for them.

I've bought several batches of the book and given them away, because I keep meeting people who don't get the method from my explaining it.

Hope that answers your questions and clarifies things.

Stephen M (Ethesis)
08-04-2006, 08:17 AM
For what it is worth, for exercise, when I started, I had been walking a mile or so (that was what I could manage at my weight) and lifting weights. I've moved to meogenic lifting (once a week, slow repetitions), judo and walking longer distances. I eat what my wife calls a "heritage" diet that has a lot of yogurt and whole grain bread in it (I'm half Greek), that is aimed at getting enough protien so I do not have muscle mass loss.

I should stretch more. My current hobby is telling people about SLD.

I suspect that you've already guessed the last point, but it has been a life changing experience since November of last year.

Pat S.
08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I have been on SLD since 5/10 and have lost 8 pounds with little effort on my part. I take around 3 TBS. of Extra Light Olive Oil a day and am enjoying the lack of appetite.
It is hard to explain I have always been portion size challenged but on SLD it is if a switch has been turned off. I love food especially since I quit smoking everything tastes so good, but I am not tempted to over eat and if I do I feel too full and bloated.
I don't think the reveiwer could understand the freedom SLD gives you unless she had tried it. I have given it a real test I have been on almost every diet from Atkins to the Zone so am not new to the land diets.
The best thing about it for me is I don't want to snack anymore and that the lack of appetite allows me to eat what I want without over eating. I quickly learned not to force food just because it tasted good other wise I feel too full.
Pat S. (patsi)

Suzanne 3FC
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Stephen, thanks for your reply :)

Patsi, my goal was to try the diet for one week before writing my review, as I usually try to do when reviewing diet books, so I can understand it better. I was recently asked my opinion about SLD (and other diets) for an interview, and I stated that I hadn't tried it. So in the interest of writing a review for our own site, I decided to give it a shot, which is why I bought the book. I didn't think my experience was worth mentioning in the article for several reasons. I didn't like the idea of sugar water because I agree with the World Health Organization's recommendation of 10% daily calories from sugar, and I'd rather spend them on something else. I tried the oil/water but I have a strong gag reflex and I didn't think it was worth it to continue since I wasn't seeing an effect. I kept having flashbacks of the time I was forced to drink a bottle of castor oil before a medical exam, and I vomited for a month. The thought of that alone was a good appetite supressant :lol: I really detest the feel of oil in my mouth, unless it's accompanied by a french fry :p I managed to drink the concoction for 3 days and quit because of the above. In those 3 days, I noticed no difference in appetite, other than when I had the yucky flashbacks. But the truth of the matter is that I'm rarely hungry anyway, so I didn't expect it to help. What DOES help me stay on track with my diet more than anything is regular exercise. It's a natural appetite suppressant, it's calorie free. I watch food portions because subconsciously, I don't want to undo any good that I did during my workout, plus I have a lot more positive energy. My mealtime goals are focused more on making sure I ate enough whole grains and green things, or making sure I excluded sat fats.

My personal opinion, based on many reviews I've read elsewhere from people that tried SLD, is that more than anything, the ability of SLD to help weight loss is simply based on the will of the person that tries it. Like hypnosis - if you want it to work and you put yourself into that mindset, then it will work. We can talk ourselves into virtually anything, even eating less :lol: There is no scientific basis for oil or sugar to do what Roberts suggests. The only reasonable explanation, in my opinion, is personal will, which is not a bad thing. The suggestions in the book are not harmful (though the sugar water is questionable) and if it helps encourage personal will in this manner, then by all means do it :)

Stephen M (Ethesis)
08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Suzanne, you make some interesting comments.

I've tried a lot of things, I'd be very surprised if suddenly, this was the magic key to unlocking personal will, especially since I'm completely unaware of using will power, but rather cooperating with it these days.

But I appreciate your perspective and where it comes from, that makes a lot of sense.

Lisa_Marie
08-04-2006, 11:35 PM
This has probably been asked a million times, i dont understand how it works, by drinking light olive oil you can lose weight?

mauvaisroux
08-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Sorry but just the thought of drinking sugar water and olive oil makes me feel ill.

chrianna
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
the theory is that taking in up to 400 calories of tasteless calories (flavorless oils and/or sugar--which by itself the body registers as flavorless) will drive down your body's setpoint thereby suppressing appetite.

and it works. i take in around 400 flavorless calories and i'm eating around 800-900 food calories which totals 1200 cals a day. it is an effortless method since i'm nowhere near as hungry as before and when i do eat i eat a lot less.

i'm taking 2 T of extra light olive oil + 1 T of sugar in water in the morning and then sometimes another T of ELOO and another T of sugar midafternoon.

the author's method is just so different, it is worth exploring.

Suzanne 3FC
08-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Everything in life is worth exploring, chrianna :) We never said otherwise, and we didn't give the book a bad review. I'm not sure why it has elicited such a defensive response from the sethroberts membership. :?: I still think good nutrition and exercise is the way to go, but everyone needs to find what works for them.

:)

Surreality
08-05-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm confused. Is this an 800 calorie diet? It sounds extreme to me.

chrianna
08-05-2006, 12:42 AM
with tons of due respect, suzanne, suggesting that SLD would only work for 6% of dieters isn't a good review.

plus, i don't see it as seth roberts vs. good nutrition and exercise. someone who wants to lose weight can use SLD and good nutrition/exercise. more of an "and" situation rather than an "or" one. ;)

Suzanne 3FC
08-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Welcome back carnie! I visited your blog recently, you look fantastic! Weight Watchers has been very, very good to you :lol:

No, this isn't an 800 calorie diet, so that confused me a little, too. 1200 calories isn't a magic number just because it's 1200 calories. It's usually considered the lowest amount of food you should eat and still get in all of the important nutrients you need which are provided by a balanced diet. When you reduce to 800 food calories, it's considered a 'very low calorie' diet and medical supervision is usually suggested. It's also much easier to regain the weight later. Are you a Weight Watchers lifetime member now? My mother still goes to her weekly meetings, even though she reached goal ages ago. She just enjoys the support and friendships she made. She should probably put on a couple of pounds :lol:

mauvaisroux
08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Okay, in my personal experience olive oil (light or otherwise) has a taste to it.

And I have tasted oil and water together and it is really unpleasant and leaves a horrible feel in your mouth. :p

Not only that - I did South Beach Diet and it killed my sugar and carb cravings and that was over 2 years ago and I still don't have those cravings eating real, unprocessed and satisfying foods. And before you argue about diet plans with me - I did a combo of Weight Watchers and SBD before WW came out with their core plan and I lost 30 lbs and kept it off for some time. I regained 10lbs through not exercising but have lost 5 of that by doing yoga and bellydancing.

I know different plans work for different people but this Shangri-la diet sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I just don't see the point of consuming "flavourless calories" when I can enjoy nutrititious whole foods instead. :shrug:

I will however do some research on it to satisfy my own curiousity. :)

Suzanne 3FC
08-05-2006, 12:57 AM
with tons of due respect, suzanne, suggesting that SLD would only work for 6% of dieters isn't a good review.

We polled over 10,000 dieters to learn why they overate and only 6% overate from appetite problems. The rest overeat from stress or boredom without hunger. Most experts agree that this type of overeating is unfortunately common, and the real solution is to deal with the problems that cause the stress or boredom, such as finding a new hobby, or learning relaxation techniques.

Our members are free to try any diet plan they want, unless it's illegal, of course :lol: And if we have members that choose this technique, then more power to them :) But obvious trolling from another forum community isn't doing anyone any good, so this thread will be closed.