Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #1  
SO Determined!

Height: 5'8"

Cool Military Spouses Kicking Butt #1

Alright, so the title pretty much explains it, but to make a long story short: I lost 30 lbs when my husband went to Iraq two years ago, LOOKED and FELT the best I ever have in my LIFE! Now that he's home, I gained all 30 lbs back plus some! I want to be back where I was. That means I have 26 more lbs to go (give or take a lb depending on the day) and I don't want a buddy who will say "yeah I know what you mean, I do that too, it's ok, etc.etc.etc" when I screw up. I need someone to be like "did you go to the gym today?? No excuses!" I don't want someone to help me make excuses, I want someone to demand answers....does that make any sense? I don't want to feel like me slacking off is ok. granted yeah - we are allowed to have days off and such, but when it starts looking like I'm sliding I need a swift kick to the you know where to get me going again. Any takers, I'm listening!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #2  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi Missy

My hubby is in the military too. He's been gone since June 16 and I've been on a diet since he left. So I know it's easier when they are gone, only you to worry about meal wise (well, unless you have kids of course).

My guy is pretty good with sticking to my diet plans so I hope I won't feel too tempted when he gets back.

Feel free to msg me I'm not a 'cheat' nor one to encourage it! This isn't my first time around and I've been exercising since 2001 steadily, it was the food that I let slip away on me. Ugh.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #3  
SO Determined!

Abbey - hey thank you!! I Added you to my yahoo messenger. I had a spaz attack earlier this week where 3 lbs suddenly crept back up on me, and I've lost all but one of them, so I'm almost back to where I was...hahaha - so far I've lost 7 lbs on the South Beach Diet, and as you can see from my ticker, I've got a ways to go. Hope to hear from you soon!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #4  
I'm on the wagon

missyb4ever

Hi, I've got a _really_ long way to go but oh well it could be worse is the only way to look at it. Strangely, although yes I look 'big' I don't feel as big as the scale says. I carry it well I guess.

You and I are in a very different time zone so if I miss ya leave me messages if you want and I'll surely get them and answer. I'm in PST I think you might be EST?

Hubby comes back on Monday! Only a few more days to go. I'm excited!!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/202/120

Height: 5'4

Default Kick Me too!

My love left today and no matter if he is here or not, a diet is hard on me. Plus I hate to cook and he loves it. Though he is a tiny guy, like 140lbs tiny! Really nice arms and butt though! LOL

I am 202lbs though and this has got to end.

What diet are you too ladies on? Do you have journal? Want to add me to your IM by chance? New friends would be great about now.

Blessings,
Kontessa
Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #6  
searching 4 the real me

Hi Missy & Abbey!! My husband is in the military too. I too am an Army wife. Congrats to both of you on your weight loss. I am doing Atkins and that has worked the best for me out of all the diets that I've tried. I know what you mean Missy to want to have someone push you and not let you slip while loosing weight. My husband is my biggest supporter and has given me that extra push when I needed it. I'm not one either to cheat or make a bunch of excuses. I have my meals & snacks planned out ahead of time to help keep me from slacking and I have 2 very active kids that help keep me on the move daily. Especially since school has been out.

Abbey~ I'm glad your hubby is coming back on Monday. I know your very happy!!

Feel free to MSG me if you like...
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #7  
I'm on the wagon

Hi Kontessa,

Well neither of us _love_ to cook, but I do it cause I want to eat!
Hey yours and my hubby both are tiny! Mine weighed 140 when I met him, now he's 150, but only 5 ft 5 (I'm 5 ft 2). We're a short couple
Don't talk about arms and butts, he's been gone 2 months haha

How long is your hubby gone for, do you know? I miss hubby like crazy, I miss talking to him every day. I get email every few days but they are usually short, cause he's not a big typer. I get a phone call about once a week or so.

I will add you to my yahoo messenger thingie so feel free to msg me anytime, I know what you're goin through.

I don't have a journal, no, I just make short notes in my fitday but I have the PC version.

~ Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa
My love left today and no matter if he is here or not, a diet is hard on me. Plus I hate to cook and he loves it. Though he is a tiny guy, like 140lbs tiny! Really nice arms and butt though! LOL

I am 202lbs though and this has got to end.

What diet are you too ladies on? Do you have journal? Want to add me to your IM by chance? New friends would be great about now.

Blessings,
Kontessa
Old 08-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

ssgtswife33

Hi .. looks like we have enough here for our own club!

Glad to hear atkins works for you. I did it a few yrs back, for about 2 months. I couldn't handle it anymore, too much meat, not enough of anything else, it drove me crazy. Really hard for me to stick to. But to those who like it, that's great!!

Send a message any time.. I added you to my buddy list here on 3FC!!

Last edited by Abbeycat36; 08-06-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #9  
SO Determined!

Good Saturday morning to ya'll ladies!!! My husband is not very tiny...lol, he is 6'1" and weighs 227 right now, but he is on the diet with me and would ultimately like to be back down to 200 even. We are both doing the South Beach Diet and have seen some awesome results so far - if you are interested in it and can spare $7 I suggest finding a Barnes & Noble near you and buying the paperback version and reading up on it. It is NOT like the Atkins diet, although they share similar properties. The SBD focuses on removing the bad fats and the bad carbs, and the main reason we both got on it was we both have a family history of diabetes and this diet was created for diabetics and cardiac patients by a doctor in South Florida. BUT - you have to find what works for you, we went through a lot of different diets that work for a lot of other people, but this one is the one that is working for us. Kontessa and Abbey I have added you to my yahoo messenger, ssg's wife...do you have yahoo messenger?? If you do, private message me and I'll add you. GOOD LUCK this weekend, don't splurge, stick to your guns, and we'll meet back up soon!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #10  
searching 4 the real me

Good Morning Ladies!! My hubbs is somewhat smaller then me and has been for the past several years. He's 6'0 and weighs about 166lbs. He made a comment to me once and I know why he made this comment, to make me work harder at this but he told me that I would never be smaller then him. He then gave me a giggle and winked at me. Well.. I had news for him. He told me that when I weighed in at 200. I'm at 177 right now... very close to his weight. Everytime I weigh myself, I get even more determined to loose this weight.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 145

Height: 5ft 3

OK! Give me 20 push-ups! Now!
I know what you mean. I don't want someone to say, "Aw, just forgive yourself and get back on track". I need someone who is willing to tell me, "What are you, crazy? Because doing the same thing over and over will get you exactly the same body you have now. I don't want to hear any whining about what you did and WHY you blew it, I want you to get back on track! NOW! Do you hear me? NOW! Get the body you want. You and only you can do this. And you CAN do this!"
This is what I'm looking for. I need that kick in the butt. If you do too, I'll kick you! Just kidding. Only figuratively.
You go girl! Oh- a bit about me, I have a solid 15 lbs. of fat to lose. I'm working out, cardio, weight lifting. I MUST get my diet in check to see results, this I know. No more excuses. I'm a stay at home Mom of a 3yr old and 7yr old. Great life, great husband. This is the only thing holding me back from complete happiness. Uggh, my big butt and muffin top. Bleck! It's just not attractive....
Kerry
Old 08-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #12  

I would just like to say HI to you lovely ladies who all have hubbies in the military. I am an old hat at the military life as my husband was a career sailor. I know what it is like to be left standing on the pier or at the airport when they pull out! I did that many many times!

I congratulate all of you on your hard work to get the weight off and try and keep it off. It isn't easy, especially if you are living on enlisted pay! My husband was 6'2" and weighed a big 175 when he was in the military! I struggled with weight and he could drink Mountain Dew and Chocolate Shakes and never gain an ounce. The fat fairy got him back when he reached middle age and he is now trying to get down to around 190.

I am more than likely the age of most of your moms, but if you need to talk or ask questions or anything, feel free to PM me. I have a lot of lovely and tasty lowfat meals that don't take rocket scientists to cook and would be happy to share.

Good luck to each and everyone of you and I'll be praying for your guy's safe return from wherever he went!

Faye (Husband USN Retired 1969-89)
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #13  
I'm on the wagon

Hi everyone.. and hi Faye too! nice to see you here..

Bah! I don't care if you're older/younger or whatever! That's fine with me. My mom has a long time friend and we've talked on the phone for a couple of hours at times!

I don't mean to be nosy and don't comment if you don't wish to of course, but it sounds like military member pay is not very good in the USA? The pay here is not bad, but if you have a family with several children and mom at home, then yes it is a lot tougher. We don't have children and I work as well so we have no lack of funds, thank goodness. The military member here too gets a few dollars a month extra when they are sailing.

good2me
Maybe you should try the tae bo stuff. If you like to be bossed around he'll do it for you!! hahaah ME, I don't find that ever worked for me. I find the 'come on, are you kidding me? you can do THAT' works better.

My hub is comin come tomorrow!! just one more night to go and tomorrow morn I pick him up!! yay!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #14  

Abbey: I have to admit it has been a long time since Jack was active duty so with regards to pay now, I don't know, but we decided when we had kids that I should stay home with them because he would be in and out to sea so much and we thought they should have someone home all the time. With that being the case, we had only his income and two children to support. As I said, he was enlisted and when he retired his pay, including everything AND the pay that was not even taxable, was barely $20,000 a year. I don't know about army bases, but the aviation Navy bases where Jack was stationed are in big cities, ie San Diego, Norfolk, etc and the expenses were horrible. We didn't have parents to help us out and sometimes I wondered where the next meal was coming from. I know that sounds horrible, but the fact is this country doesn't think enough of their servicemen to pay them enough to keep their family fed, clothed and housed. I bet most of the ladies here probably have jobs and not all of them are probably happy about it. Many a time we couldn't even get into base housing and would have to pay rent on the outside, which would take a huge chunk out of his pay. Our kids never got the latest toys, shoes, jackets, whatever because there wasn't enough money for that. It was Payless and KMart. My poor children can tell you they hated being in the Navy because we moved every three years. If we went back, we wouldn't stay in for the long run even with his retirement pay. It makes me sick that the men and women who are keeping this country safe are subjected to this and sometimes resorting to FOOD STAMPS to get by. It is disgusting. Ok, sorry about the but it is a truly sore subject with me. People want to continually cut the defense budget and the people that serve are the ones that suffer. I applaud you young ladies whose husbands put their lives on the line and for you who sacrifice so much in his doing it! Here's to you ladies!!!

No one thinks what it is like to be without your husband for months or sometimes years at a time. Having to figure out where to come up with the money for the car repairs, what to do about the washer breaking down, etc. Crying yourself to sleep because you miss him, but burying your head in the pillow because you don't want the kids to hear. We have been married 34 years now, have a lovely life and two grown married children and a scrumptious grandson (avatar), but it takes a huge amount of work for a military marriage to work. The divorce rate in the military is nearly 75% and those that work hard enough to keep their relationship going can only be patted on the back. IT AIN'T EASY! One thing that I think is the hardest is the man goes to sea or overseas tour and the wife has to handle EVERYTHING herself. He comes back home expecting to take back over responsibilities he had before he left and the wife put out because she gets it into her head, who does he think he is? I did this alone for XXX amount of months and did it just fine, etc. Sometimes the wife starts resenting the man when he gets home no matter how gently the man tries to reinsert himself. Another thing is some wives go into marriage to a military man having NO IDEA what the huge change is going to be like. My husband sat me down when we became engaged and laid it all out to me the good and the bad and what I would have to go through if we married. He also always put ME first in the relationship and I could be as wrong as they come, but in public he supported me no matter how wrong I was. Our children grew up watching parents who loved each other and worked at their relationship. My 33 year old son got married 2 years ago and the day he got married he put his arms around us and said, "Thanks mom and dad for giving me such a good example of what a marriage should be." Ok, now I am all blubbery so....

You all have a great afternoon. I am going back to watching the CUBS game and the NASCAR race (we are flipping back and forth between the two.)

Faye
Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #15  
I'm on the wagon

gma2one

Yes I saw your little one there in the pic and he's a cute little redhead!!

I know about the things you speak of but thankfully I am not experiencing as much financial struggle. As I said we do not have kids and likely not going to have any. We were only married last year at age 37 and things being the way they are these days in the world, I just don't feel that it's for me.

We met 4 yrs ago and at that time my (now) hubby sat me down also and told me what I would be in for. I have to admit I was not anxious to deal with the special situations that come with being a military wife (being alone a lot, especially), but I just took a deep breath and said we'll work through it. He does not go away really LONG, so far at least. Usually here they do a 2 yr rotation - 2 yrs on, 2 yrs off (trips I mean). Aside from special circumstances of course. And I don't mean for 2 yrs steady, it's a couple of months here, a couple there, a few weeks away, a few weeks home.

We've discussed the 'coming home and taking over' thing. I've told him he has to work his way back into the swing of the household and so far he's not too bad with doing that. Marriage is a lot of work, and we do NOT want to be a part of that 75%.

I am happy for you that you managed to survive such struggles and came out still a happy couple. I look around at even the non military families and even they have a lot of troubles. Obviously you did a lot of great things with your kids, to have your son say such a sweet thing to you!! Awww

I'm counting the hours now until he gets home! I'm so excited!!
Closed Thread