100 lb. Club - August NSVs (non-scale victory)

View Full Version : August NSVs (non-scale victory)

Sheila53
08-01-2006, 11:39 AM
A new month so a new thread for August NSVs. Post your NSVs here for the month--I know we'll all have some!

Have a great month!

luflic
08-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Today my daughter had a baby and we traveled to Ohio and this is huge for me I stayed within my points!!!!

KateRN
08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I looked in the mirror and cant find my double chin!!

Get n healthy
08-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow Luflic,
That is my number one weakness...going out of town kills me for the time i am out of town and it is SO hard for me to get it back in gear when i get back.

My little NSV today is i was REALLY wanting Thai from this little place i usually go eat with my husband. I had brought a peice of veggie pizza to work. Comparing the two...thai was making my mouth water. I ate the veggie pizza slice. I dont know if thai is that bad but seeing as how good it tastes it cant be great for my diet. I was just so scared i would eat it and justify it by saying it is only a few hundred cals but my gosh what if it is like 1000...so i opted for the safe option.

Then someone bought a flourless 5 layer chocolate cake...the kind that is about $8 a slice in bakeries. YUM. I looked at it and wiped the drool from my chin and walked back to my office and ate my 100 cal snack. Hooray.

Its the little decisions like that, that will get me to 145 and away from 277.
Stacy

lilybelle
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
My NSV today is that I am back on program after going over on my carbs yesterday. It feels good to get right back at it.

nelie
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is a weird one... but we all know about the back rolls

I used to have 2 on one side and 1 on the other side...
This morning, I noticed that one on the side with 2 is gone. There is a line to indicate where it was at but it is gone. So now I have 1 back roll on each side and even those are less than they used to be.

supernurse_mommie
08-05-2006, 03:11 PM
okay okay i have one!

I got HIT ON! at the club/bar/dance hall that i visited last night!

granted, my boyfriend did not appreciate it.. but.. i LOVED it!!

buckettgirl
08-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Friday, I went into Fashion Bug to check out the sale, and to see if they had a shirt that I saw on their website (I don't like to buy clothes online, must try on if not sure of the fit)...
I picked up 6 items (tops and bottoms) to try on. Everything I tried on FIT! - not only did they fit, they were all size 24!! YAY! Not 28 or 26 but 24!!
I even found the shirt that I saw online, and it fit in a 24 as well and I loved the look, so I bought it!
I don't want to splurge on clothes too much while I'm losing, other than necessary staples so I don't have to go nekkid LOL... but I couldn't pass up that cute top, and the fact that I haven't gone into any store and bought a size 24 in over 2 years was amazing!
:dance:

beautifulone
08-06-2006, 03:26 PM
For the first time since I've joined, I worked out at the more open and busy part of the gym where there are more people. Normally I'd work out in a little part elsewhere because I felt so self-conscious! Plus, I went back to the gym after not having gone for 3 weeks!!! :carrot:

great thread!!!

roundRN
08-06-2006, 06:43 PM
HI everyone....

Great NSV's....I'm very proud of everyone.....WTG!!!!!!! I've got one too....we went camping this weekend with another couple. We stayed at a nice KOA that had a lake, activities,etc. Yesterday it was decided that we should rent the paddle boats and take them out on the lake. Back in the day...I would have said..."you guys go ahead without me"...because I would have been afraid of tipping the thing over, sinking it, or not having the energy to actually paddle it. Well....no excuses this time....I got on and the thing didn't even move....wooowhooooo....it's so nice to not be afraid to do fun things anymore. :)

Hugs,
Liv

luflic
08-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Thank you everyone for posting! It is encouraging to me to see and read others success I know I am not alone and that if you can I can!
Yeah for turning down the cake!!!
Yeah for size smaller clothes!
Yeah for getting hit on!
Yeah for being brave enough to work out where you want!!!

Today we went to Red Lobster and I didn't have a chessy bisquit!!!!

KateRN
08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
!!!

Today we went to Red Lobster and I didn't have a chessy bisquit!!!!

that is extreme will power!!!!!! :dizzy: those things are amazing!! be proud!

PollyRB
08-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Yesterday I finally moved from the couch and walked 4 miles in an hour :D My mom couldn't believe it when I actually asked her to come for a walk with me ;)

And also, I told her about my compulsive eating (had been keeping it secret since I was 10 because I was afraid she'd think I'm a freak) and I felt such a relief after talking about it with her, I'm sure it'll help me deal with it and control the food :)

Heather
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Olivia -- Wow, you should be celebrating a big SCALE victory soon, huh? 97 pounds lost! woo!

My nsv is the mundane but not to be dismissed smaller clothing size -- I am now into a 14W, and in many cases a 16 misses! (tho, not always the latter). Clothes shopping is already more fun, but will be even more so when I am more firmly into the misses sizes!

roundRN
08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Wyllenn.....
Yep...I'm getting ever so close to that 100 pounds gone....it seems like my scale has been stuck for weeks now though.....hummmmm. I'm just going to keep at it though. Oh....and a big congrats on your 100 pounds gone....that is absolutely awesome...WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs,
Liv

Heather
08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Yep, you just have to keep trying. I've heard the last few pounds are much harder as you're getting close and well, it's just harder close to goal. Remembering all the non-scale victories is sooooo important!

jmacway
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I had so much fun cleaning out my closet. I am the smallest I have been in over10years. I tried on a dress I wore to my daughters wedding in 1996 and it is to big. I spent the morning trying on clothes and bagged up everything that was to big. I am not even going to keep the clothes that I could take in or make do.

Heather
08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Joyce -- WOW! That's a great feeling for how the clothes fit -- plus now you have some extra closet space!!!

You are getting close to Onederland!

Sheila53
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I love reading everyone's NSVs! Thanks for sharing them.

Joyce, how cool about the clothes! I recommend consignment shops (for selling AND buying) and thrift stores while you're still losing. Because in another 20 lbs. or so, you'll be needing new clothes again! :)

Misti in Seattle
08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Wonderful NSVs! I love reading them also... such an encouragement, and I am proud of all of you.

I had a small one today... except there really IS no such thing as a "small" NSV. :) But someone at work asked me if I had been wearing a different kind of makeup lately, as she commented at how much more vibrant my skin looked, color in my cheeks, etc... and that I used to be so pale. I do have a very pale complexion naturally -- but I am wearing the same makeup except I did get a darker shade because of getting a bit tan... but it really is just my SKIN looking more vibrant! Amazing what healthful food, fresh air and exercise will do!

BreakingFree
08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Misti -

I had meant to comment that you have lovely skin!

My NSV happened yesterday. Once a month I host an evening meeting, for which I order refreshments (cookies and sodas - I know, not the healthiest stuff but that's what people want). Anyway, there are always leftovers and last night was no exception. Out of 2 dozen cookies there were over a dozen left. Normally I would have eaten one or two right after the meeting and wrapped up several more to "take to hubby" (but then they would mysteriously disappear on the way home....hmm...).

Last night, I gave ALL the cookies away to the night guard on duty!!! And I have no crumbs in my car today....!

Heather
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I took a plane to Boston yesterday -- my big NSV is that I COULD PUT THE TRAY TABLE DOWN EASILY!!!! There was even space to spare!

I just kept doing it over and over because I could!

luflic
08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Wyllenn so glad you flew yesterday and not today. What a mess. How GREAT about the tray. That is huge. Can't wait until I can get on a plane and the person who has to sit next to me doesn't get smooshed.

Breaking Free great about the cookies!

My NSV today is I hit a bump in the road went off program but next day back in the saddle that is huge for me.

newfiedarling
08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Look at all of these great accomplishments - great job everyone!

~Dee

YP1
08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't seem to post on here as much as I used to, although I keep on looking in, but I thought I'd add one - today I ran 20 miles! That's something I never dreamed I'd be able to do when I was 100lb overweight, and just goes to show how much you can change your life while going through this process. It's not just a case of being thinner, it's being fitter, and more active, and able to do stuff rather than thinking about it.

(And Dee - you're so close to that 100b mark!)

Heather
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
luflic -- I am not looking forward to the airport on the flight home (I can't bring my precious water!), but, at least the tray table will still fit!

Helen -- You are going to ROCK that marathon!!!!

irisheyes213
08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Yesterday I tried on a size 18w pair of pants and they fit!!! I haven't worn an 18 in years. I know the sizes have changed since then but it was still exciting and just what I needed to get my motivation back!

:)

nelie
08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I went shopping and I wear a size 20 pant! Size 20... I really wanted to wear size 18 when I went shopping but I guess I have to drop 20-30 more lbs for that. For tops, I'm at the smallest big girl size, either 1x (some 1x are too large) or 14/16. I still have some fitted 18/20 tops that are perfect but hopefully not for long :)

tolose85
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
My 1st real NSV since starting again was this weekend. The fam went to Applebees for lunch. My hubby started out with good intentions but got Chili, a wrap, fries and ate the leftover chicken finger from my sons meal. (AND HE STILL lost 10 lbs this week). I stayed right on target and ordered my WW meal and even left 1/4 on the plate. I was so proud!

Heather
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I got to the ocean and actually went swimming in a bathing suit!. It was glorious and just the kind of thing I froze up about at my higher weight. I hadn't been ocean swimming in at least 4 years...

Sheila53
08-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Helen--20 miles! I'm in awe! Congrats on all the lower sizes, everyone. And swimming in the ocean--that's fabulous, Wyllenn!

Today I achieved the President's Challenge Gold Fitness Award. I find it really motivating to exercise enough to win the awards. I thought that Gold was the end, and was wondering what I should do next to stay motivated, but I noticed that there's a platinum award so that's where I'm headed next.

If anyone else is interested in logging their activities and winning awards (you actually can purchase the awards, I believe, but it's not necessary--I just like seeing what I can achieve), go to this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66271

beautifulone
08-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I did strength training for the first time today - AND I LIKED IT!!!!!

I am so proud of myself too! :D I walked over to the weights area, feeling totally lost and a bit self-conscious but I sat down on the bicep-working machine and I read the instructions (three times or so :lol:) and I tried it, slowly - and I found out, hey! I think I'm doing this right! From there, I went down the line of machines, observing people as I went along (that helped the instructions hehe). The eventually I decided, ah to heck with this self-consciousness, I need to know what's here. So I walked around the different machines, reading their instructions and checking out the muscle groups. Now I have a rough idea of what's available to me, so I want to start reading on what I should do, and figure out a system (I love figuring out systems!).

I'm a little enthusiastic, can ya tell? :lol: but oh my I am loving this!

Heather
08-16-2006, 08:47 AM
beautifulone -- That's great about the machines! Overcoming our fear is sometimes the hardest part! I might recommend that you also get someone at the gym to really show you how to do each exercise so you do it right and really work the muscle right. Sometimes really little things matter.

Skittlez
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
It may sound silly.... but my family bought pizza last night. I LOVE pizza, it's my favorite food, I could eat it for every single meal and never get sick of it. :X

But... I didn't have a single piece. Yay :)

And this morning I went for a 40 min walk, I've been slacking on the exercise... so it felt good to get out there and work my butt off. If anyone would of told me a few months ago that I would be getting up at 5-6 am everyday willingly, I would of laughed at them ^^

bep
08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Great job everyone! And thanks for sharing the NSV's...I love reading them!

Lifeguard
08-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I've been stuck at 20lbs down for a long time but that's because I've been at camp - but I didn't gain at all!!! Woohoo - they serve child friendly, aka, not diet friendly food, so this is kind of a big deal for me.

beautifulone
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Wyllenn - thanks, great suggestion. I'm going to book something with a trainer. It'll be free so probably nothing fancy, but what I need most of all I feel is like you said, make sure I'm using the machines correctly - and if anything, the trainer should be able to help me with that! So once I do that, it'll be another "self-consciousness leap"! :D

Skittlez - that's great! It's so great to be able to look at food and say, "no thanks, not today". I hope you do allow yourself to have it from occassionally, since it's your favourite food :) but that's the great thing about being able to say no, that you feel like you are able to say no. That feeling of choice! And knowing what it means :D Congrats on the exercise - woot!!

Bep - ditto :)

Lifeguard - that's fabulous! I've never worked at a camp where I had to eat the food, but I totally get what you mean by child-friendly and how that can make you gain. That's definitely awesome!!!

Sheila53
08-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Beautifulone, taking that first step is an awesome accomplishment! Glad you're going to ask a trainer to show you the machines. Most times, they'll actually tell you what weight to start with, and adjust the settings for you so if they don't have a card, be sure to take some kind of notebook. I'm always grateful that I have the settings written down because I forget from day-to-day. :)

I'm incredibly excited today because I finally broke through a barrier and ran 3.1 miles so I can say I've run 5K. The real test will be the 5K run the end of September, but I feel so much more confident now that I've actually run 3.1 miles.

harkeyvalley
08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I took my grand children to lunch at McDonalds. I had a plain hamburger with no condiments and unsweetened iced tea. I endured the smell of french fries and I did not ask the kids for even a bite. Afterwards, I took them to the movies and got them buttered popcorn and again, I did not get any for me. I was so proud of myself. This was a good test of my resolution to lose weight and I passed the test!

luflic
08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Way to go Grandma! Being a grandmother now is my motivating factor in this I want to be around to take them places and to play with them! So my hat is off to you!!

Sheila53
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Met with my trainer today, and I asked to have her take my measurements and bodyfat. I've lost several inches in the past three months as well as 2.5% bodyfat, which thrilled me no end.

lilybelle
08-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Yesterday I walked into our small home-town cafe to get a 1/2 chef salad for lunch. In the front dining area, all the tables were full. 2 young men that were about half my age (total strangers ) asked me to join them at their table. Now, this definitely never happened while I was over-weight. I declined the offer and sat in the 'back room' for my salad. (I could just see the rumors flying to my DH if I had sat with them). It did make me feel good, though.

nelie
08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
This is huge for me. I've been hiking on and off steadily for about a year (weather permitting, time permitting, health permitting). Yesterday, I did a 5 mile hike without taking a break. To top it off, the hike had a 500 total vertical rise (which is approximately equal to 50 flights of stairs) with one part being most of the vertical rise. To even top it off more, the estimated time for an average hiker to do the hike was 2 hours and 30 minutes. We finished in 2 hours! I am so excited as it really does mean a huge improvement for me. My legs are a bit sore today but it is oh so worth it.

Heather
08-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Nelie -- Wow! That's a GREAT nsv!

beautifulone
08-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Way to go everyone!! :D:D:D

jmacway
08-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Hello everyone,
School started last week here in Oklahoma City. I subbed for the first time on Monday. I have lost 10 pounds since the last school year. (total weight loss is 60 pounds) When people saw me at school they kept telling me how great I looked. I also have a little different hair cut. I was great fun and good for me ego for everyone to be commenting on my "new look". The art teacher kept looking at me as if she didn't know me. When I asked what was wrong she said "something is different about you and I can't figure it out". The onther thing people asked is what have I been doing. They all seemed surprised that there was no miracle type answer when I told them, eating less and moving more and that I had been working on this for a couple of years. Anyway it was great!

famograham
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Joyce, That's fantastic!!!

I really love it when people start to notice and actually say something!!;)

I'm looking forward to that again!

:hug:
Linda

zoritsa
08-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm getting back into the whole eating better,moving more attitude,but this time with a different outlook on it.Instead of concentrating on losing the weight for a reason,I'm just trying to get fit and healthy for myself...something I haven't done in a LONG time,even when I did lose weight before :^:

lilybelle
08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
jmac, WTG on the weight loss and having everyone notice. That's great. Also wanted to say , Hi from another Oklahoma gal, I lived in the Moore/Norman area for 16 yrs. I'm now closer to the Poteau area.

Sheila53
08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
How great, Joyce! That positive feedback is so rewarding. Everybody does seem to be looking for that magic bullet, don't they?

This weekend is Summer Camp with my cousin and my sister. I'm bringing the making for s'mores. When I was in the store yesterday, I got the marshmallows (in the baking aisle near the olive oil and SF FF pudding mixes) first. My NSV is that I realized that I had no clue where to find cookies and chocolate bars in the store I've been going to for 1.5 years now!

beautifulone
08-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Sheila - I actually paused for a moment when I read that, then made sure I had it right! That is astounding - truly!!

- A few months ago I began eating sugar (cookies, ice cream, chocolate, you name it...) DAILY, I kid you not. And if I didn't have something sweet that day, I would crave it and react with "I haven't had something sweet in a long time!" when really, I'd had sugar just the day before!!! :eek: And the quantities were not small.... But I realized yesterday that I haven't had sugar in a week really (except the sugar in my yogurt) and I haven't even craved it!

- I had two treats today and a sandwich with more fat in it than I would normally have, but I let it slide into my plan with ease and am right back on track. I am aiming for flexibility in my diet plan so when a special occasion occurs, I can easily accept cake or whatever else without holding mental conversations with myself about it :lol:.

- I'm just finished my third week of four 40 minute cardio sessions per week :cb:

- I have my first strength training session tomorrow and I am feeling a little nervous/excited at once, but nevertheless I will be going!

jtammy
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I love reading these! It is so inspiring!

We had a potluck at church and at least 20 people pulled me aside to tell me how good I was looking and to ask how much weight I had lost. It feels good to hear those comments. (Now if my HUSBAND would just notice :( )

My real NSV though comes from trying on some clothes today. I bought a 16W shirt today and an 18 from the MISSES section. It has been years since I was able to buy something outside of the Women's section. It was such a thrill!!! I wasn't planning to buy anything, I just wanted to see what size I was, but they looked so good on me that I bought both of them. I also tried on a 16/18 wrap dress from the Misses section and it fit also. It wasn't flattering, but it fit. :)

Misti in Seattle
08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
These are great! Thanks for sharing.

I had one yesterday that was completely unexpected! Usually when I have a blood test they use my right arm as the vein in my left is so hard to find. Yesterday I said that to the nurse and she looked at the left and said no, it is fine... right there and easy to use. I asked if losing weight could have made a difference and she said yes but moreso if I had been exercising a lot, that would build muscle and require more blood to feed it, and would cause the vein to puff up to supply the new "beefed up" body. She also said drinking a lot of water and eating less salt would cause it. I have been doing ALL of these things but she had no idea of that until I told her! What a neat surprise... it is really encouraging especially since my scale won't move much lately to be able to look at my arm and SEE proof that it IS working!!!

Tammy, congratulations on the size 18 from Misses section! Wahoooooo good for you! I am so close to that... I am wearing the 1X from the plus size shop and they are getting too big which is astounding when you consider that in February I wore a 4X!!! Also the zip up pants I wore today are a size 20... it won't be long before I am in the TEENS and out of all the 20-ish stuff!!!