South Beach Diet - Phase 1 Week of July 31

View Full Version : Phase 1 Week of July 31

Louren
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
ok phase 1-ers. How are we doing? Anybody else getting ready to dip their toes into phase two later this week?

I actually already bought whole wheat pita bread this weekend (4g of fiber-way cool!) so tha I can be ready for when school starts again for me next week. SO GLAD that I started this a few weeks before I go back to teaching, because I never could have made it through those first weeks (of phase 1 and the new school year) without you guys and the support of this site.

I have the quick and easy cookbook on order at the bookstore (but no obligation to buy). Anybody used this one yet? Any opinions?

I'm so sold on this that I went through my newest issue of cooking light and phased the recipies, and made notations where I could change things to make them be on plan.

How much has everybody lost on phase 1 so far?

my3bibs
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
My Phase II was supposed to start tomorrow....but I may prolong it one more week.
This 2 pound gain really has me reeling and I am trying not to get too discouraged.....after all I know what caused it.........

I am just frustrated with myself:mad:

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I started Phase I today!!! Yipee for me! I am going to do this. I am going to do this. I am going to do this. I woke up this morning, turned on the shower, and thought OH @!#$ I REALLY HAVE TO DO THIS! LOL. Anyone else out there starting out with me??
Jalene

BellaLucia
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
I begin Phase II on Monday, August 7th. I start my exercise regimen tommorrow.

JessieW
07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Jalene, I am kinda starting today, although I have corn on the cob in my fridge so there may be that small smudge on my phase 1 weeks! But, I will eat it with protein to curb any cravings.

It's always great to share menus, so post your P1 menu here!

Today:
B: 1/2 cup black beans with 2 scrambled eggs
S: 1/2 cucumber
L: romaine salad with sesame dressing, carrot, snow peas. some further sustenance such as cottage cheese or yogurt, not sure yet.
D: At Carraba's, planning on crab cakes with tomato remoulade and ceasar salad.

I need more dairy but we just moved and have no food in the house! Will try to grab some skim milk on the way home!

Jessie

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, here goes my menu if you want to call it that:
Breakfast - 2 Hard boiled eggs and 1/4 of a steak I cooked last night.
Snack- 5-6 slices of cheese
Lunch - 3/4 of steak I cooked last night/ Wendy's side salad
Snack -???
Dinner-Chicken Breast with sauteed zucchini

Feel free to critique my menu. ANYONE?? LOL
I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

:carrot: Jalene

Ruthxxx
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Jalene, get more veggies besides salad in there! You also need to include legumes and dairy if you are to be successful on Phase I.
:welcome: to The Beach!

Barb0522
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Jessie - Technically, carrots aren't allowed until phase 2. And more than likely the crab cakes will have bread crumb fillers. You already know about the corn on the cob. I dont' want to criticize but I do want to make sure you know what is officially allowed so you can make your decision with your eyes open.

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I need all the help I can get!! I am bad on the legumes part.... UGH! Anyone have any creative ways to disguise them?? I love this forum. I don't know that I will get much else done today because I am so excited about starting this WOE and finding this forum!!

Barb0522
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Jalene - Taco Bake is an easy recipe that uses refried beans but it is all disguised in with the other stuff. Check out the phase 1 recipe section. You can also do chili or make a three bean salad if you like that. Oh, the Kale and Black Bean vegetable side dish is really good too. I use Rotel instead of regular tomatoes in it since I like it spicy. That's a good phase 1 side.

kewe92103
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I started SB on sunday the 30th. I was doing WW but I was allowing myself too much sugar. SB is healthier for me. This is day2 and I can do this! Last time I tried SB I dropped 8 lbs during phase 1. Felt great. even the aches in my feet and joints disappeared, so that told me that my love of sugar really had an impact on my health.

I am starting back at school on the 15th so I will have my phase 1 completed, before I get too busy.

Have a great week everyone,
Kewe

Ruthxxx
07-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Barb. I missed the carrots and the crab cake problem. Sometimes crab cakes are made with that darned fake crab too which is not allowed.

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks Barb! I never thought of refried beans. I like them! Welcome Kewe!! The more the merrier!!
Jalene

JessieW
07-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Jalene,
Make sure you buy organic refried beans, the "normal" canned ones are very high in fat! I like Amy's organic ones or often you can find ones made with just black beans and water.

Thanks for the reminders, chicks. Salad was prebagged so it has just a tad of carrot in it, think it will be OK. I will reconsider the crab cakes, although since it's at a nice restaurant I don't think it's fake crab. I know they aren't breaded but you're right, they might have some bread crumbs in them.

Jessie

Louren
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
There is a very yummy phase 1 great northern bean recipie on the site here. Also, most nicoise salads have some sort of white bean on them. Yum!

Bad bad me accidentally skipped breakfast this morning (overslept and we would have been late for swimming) but I made up for it with a big healthy lunch.

My abs have been aching the past two days. Maybe from exercising (or biting it hard skating on hockey skates - still have not got the hang of those darn things). Could this be fat burning, or muscle building? I have been trying to do more belly crunches, to keep the feeling (that something is actually working in the midsection) but I really just need to go to the gym this afternoon when ds wakes up from his nap.

Louren
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey Jessie, I just noticed that we are both trying to get to 175 by September 1. Cool!

JessieW
07-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Yep, we started about the same place too and have the same ultimate goal. LOL. Great minds think alike.

Jessie

JessieW
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I am 5'3" though--a shorty!

Louren
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Ah! I am..wait..it says how tall I am. Never mind. :D

MallynAllysmom
07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi! I'm starting today. Doing good so far. Scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast. Cashews for snack. Subway salad with spinach and turkey and fat free ranch for lunch.

I lost 8 pounds in 8 days last time I did this. Then I got sidetracked. I know I can do it again. I MUST RESIST TEMPTATION!!!!!

inspired75
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm on my 3rd day on phase 1. I have been doing extremely well. I survived the weekend without overeating! Yay!

This is my meal plan today:
Breakfast
- 2 scrambled eggs with salsa
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- sliced mushroom

Snack: celery sticks and cucumber slices. A piece of cheddar.

Lunch
- 1 chicken breast
- tossed salad with fat-free ranch

Snack: 20 peanuts

Dinner
- Steak
- Tossed Salad

So does this sound like a good meal plan or am I missing something

Louren
07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Chantal - sounds great to me. Definitely make sure the salsa is good salsa. You could even add another vegetable to your dinner, and a healthy after dinner snack. I find that the days that I actually eat a "dessert" I tend to burn more overnight. Probably just wishful thinking, but I am noting a personal pattern....

Jalene5
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I am here! DAY TWO!! LOL, for me, the "Professional Dieter", this is GOOD!! Probably helps that I lost almost TWO FREAKING POUNDS YESTERDAY. Ok, so it was all water weight! But, what a great way to start out??? I had an almost oops this morning. Running out the door, making DS and DH lunch, DS in the carseat, purse, keys, snacks, everything in tow. Got 20 minutes down the road and..... DUH! I forgot breakfast. No fear, I ran through McD's drive thru and ordered a sausage/egg mcmuffin with no muffin. Did they look at me funny??? NO WAY! It was yummy too! I am so thrilled with myself. So, breakfast was going to be a hard boiled egg with two slices of turkey bacon, but here is what the rest looks like:

Snack- LF cheese slices/celery sticks
Lunch - Wendy's grilled chick sandwhich, no bun with side salad
(Does anyone know if the dijon sauce they put on the chick is ok?)
Snack - SF Jello Gelatin/Snap Peas or Sugar Peas
Dinner-Sauteed steak with mushrooms/onions/peppers (maybe add some yucky beans in there and plug my nose :)
Snack???? I need to add some dairy in here-any ideas girls??

I can do this!! I can do this!! I can do this!!:carrot:

JessieW
08-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Jalene, For phase 1 dairy, try just a glass of skim milk, a ricotta creme (SB cookbook has good ideas), plain yogurt mixed with vanilla extract and splenda, or lowfat cottage cheese. I sometimes mix cottage cheese and nuts, I know it sounds weird, but it gets in a lot of protein, good fat, and dairy.

Jess

rebel
08-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Just starting week 2. down 7 pounds! I'm doing really well at drinking enough water, which I've had trouble with in the past. We've got some great berries, so I'm wanting to get to phase 2!

Ruthxxx
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Jalene, a McD sausage patty is really not a great choice, even without the muffin. It has 15 grams of fat and 6 of them are saturated. Sausage is best avoided on Phase I. I think a plain egg McMuffin with the muffin might have been a better choice. The breakfast quiche recipe in the Recipe section can be made and frozen. They reheat just fine and would be grab-able for rushed mornings.

Rebel, good going! Stick with it.

Everyone. remember at least 4½ cups of veggies per day and that does not mean just salad greens! Check out the Best Veggies to Eat (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57021) sticky.

Remember that we are trying to avoid highly processed foods on this plan. It's not the calories and carbs you eat but the QUALITY of the food. Try to eat as clean as possible and avoid my pet peeve, FRANKENFOODS!

Jalene5
08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Ruth,
I guess I am confused because I read the book and reread the book and just went and referenced it and it clearly states no starches. Muffin is a starch right? Sausage is listed as OK, as long as it is only one patty? Not to be rude - Lord knows this is my first week here and my knowledge of the task I am undertaking is just a grain of sand on the "Beach", but I need all the encouragement I can get along with the good advice!
Thanks in advanced for all of your help!
Jalene:carrot:

Ruthxxx
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Jalene, I meant that eating the muffin would have probably been better than eating the sausage patty and the sat fat. Yes, starches except in legumes are to be avoided. I just meant it might have been a less harmful choice. I just checked my SB book and can't find a reference to sausage patties. The Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide says that pork patties (sausage) are to be avoided.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. It ain't easy but it works and you're doing fine! :hug: