General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Looking Good Magazine

I'm sure everyone has seen this one..it chronicals women and thier weight loss journeys. Talks about how they did it, ect.

It does have some good points, minus the ads for Hydroxycut and similar products.

While on my break ast work yesterday I was paging through one when I noticed that many of the women profiled seem to get down to extremely low weights.

The profile that prompted me to think of this is a woman who is five ten and weighs 135. ****, I'm five seven and shooting for 140-ish! It either means that I am very skewed in what my goal should be or if there is something up with the magazine or the women.

I thought maybe it was an issue of tall women with small bone structures, but come on! You can't convince me that every woman they happen to profile are magically extra skinny?

( this is one of those things were I'm walkin', eating right, doing what I should do...and then find out that a woman inches taller than me weighs less than I may ever weigh..._

People magazine had a issue awhile back about women who lost weight ( men,too) and how they did it. It had some good ideas and mentioned plans like WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and various working out techniques. However, I think it's odd that all the women in that issue were a size 8 ..

Okay, I"m done now...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I bet they choose the most dramatic weight-loss stories to attract peoples' attention.

But, um, yeah. I'm 5'10" and I'd be emaciated if I weighed as low as 135. Not that it's not possible, but I'd have to have the bone structure of a bird to be that weight.

"an issue of tall women with small bone structures" ... hahaha
Old 07-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I am 5'7.5 and through no fault of my own i ended up weighing 129.I caught every bug going and could not get well,no matter how hard i tried.I look at pictures from that time I really didn't look well.The real shock was when the clothes came off,pelvic bones sticking way out,my ribs were even showing.
Thankfully I am well now.How these people can drop to these weights on purpose blows my mind.When you can see the bumps of your spine through your skin...you need a reality check.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #4  

I feel like when I get to my goal of 200lbs, that will be a dramatic weight loss!!! And it will be!
I'm 6ft tall, and the BMI chart wants me to weight about 180 or little lower... which just isn't even realistic. (I'm not a model, and I'm not anorexic, so I'm likely never gonna be that small).
No, I have to say that it isn't normal for women to be THAT small (or at least not all women, and certainly not all tall women are blessed with a small frame)
Maybe the magazine is trying to sensationalize weight loss by finding women that do LOOK like models after their weight loss. Kind of, we did it, and if you lose weight you'll look like a model too mentality??
Shoot, who knows.
I would not pay attention to the fact that these women seem out of proportion as long as they are healthy and are advocating healthy ways for weight loss.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love this magazine and am thinking of subscribing, but I wish it had a little more substance to it. I read it in like twenty minutes and want more. The first issue I remember had an african american lady who was still very curvy when they featured her (she was maybe 160 at the time of the writing, but had lost over 100 lbs), but was absolutely killer gorgeous and could have easily been a plus size model. I would agree that they're probably choosing success stories that show and tell particularly well. I do admire that all of the nutrition and exercise advise seems to be really healthy. I haven't seen any drastic fad diets mentioned or advocated, which is a breath of fresh air from all of the other women's magazined at the check-out.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #6  
Coop class of '82

I have a subscription to this magazine and I too wish it had more success stories. They only profile three each issue and they must get thousands of submissions. I have noticed that they always put the "best looking" usually youngest one on the cover. They are starting to get more ads for diet pills too, but they have to make money somewhere I guess. All in all, a nice magazine, very well done.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

I haven't seen this magazine. But, I can say that at 5'7 , the absolute lowest that I would ever want to be is 135. I have seen many women at 5'10 that look positively perfect at 170.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #8  
woo hoo

S/C/G: 220/173/130

Height: 5'1.5

the only thing that bothers me is that I see a person that weighs less then I do, like 30 to 40lbs in these mags and they looks alot bigger then I do,I know a camera can put some weight on you but, I don't know I'm a little cranky right now ;( it can be the clothes the angle of the camera, height everything.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

I haven't seen this magazine either - perhaps the women is not as muscular as another? After all muscle is a lot denser. Who knows?

I'm about 130 pounds and I am 5'6. My ribs show slightly, my collar bone sticks way out, my wrists are bony...basically I couldnt lose much more and remain looking healthy.

I know that for a fact as I have been as low as 112 pounds before and it was SO GROSS.

I'm a little cynical when it comes to magazines and things. After all it is designed first and foremost to make money and the majority of people will always want to read about people who've had dramatic changes and not so much the "every day hero" you or I may be :P

Liv
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Been thinking of scubscribing to this one myself....I really enjoy it!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #11  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I just suscribed and I love it...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I haven't seen this one yet - maybe it hasn't made its way up to Canada yet?
Closed Thread