LA Weight Loss - intuitive eating

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : intuitive eating

carolr3639
07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Has anyone ever heard of intuitive eating? (using hunger and fulness) What do you think? :)

gbplinda
07-28-2006, 12:49 PM
for an intuitive eating plan that's going to start on Tuesday. I read a book over the holidays called Thintuition, I first saw the guy that wrote on the local news. He runs the class at the healthclub next door to my building and the other day I found a postcard in my cafeteria at work about Thintuition and a study and free and I immediately emailed. I'm excited because of course, it's free, I get a free membership at the health club for 60 days. I'll let you know how it goes after the initial meeting.

mizz186
07-28-2006, 02:09 PM
were do you have to be to sign up for it? if it is anywere can I get some info lol thanks so much!!!

runnin' momma
07-28-2006, 06:30 PM
This is sooo crazy! I haven't been to 3 chicks for a while, but decided to come back today to find support for intuitive eating! I began working with a nutritionist about three months ago. She has been helping me ease into intuitive eating (without telling me what it is). I by chance saw an article about it and realized what we were working on. I went and bought the book and am going to continue the journey. If anyone else is interested in the process and would like to continue this thread, I'm all for it!!
Kay

carolr3639
07-29-2006, 09:53 AM
I sure hope this would countinue also because I am very interested in it. Someone just wrote today about eating smaller portions and I left a note that I had asked this question. This place (3 chicks) is so big I think it is kind of hard to get people together to keep a topic up unless it is a well known topic like WW. How do we get people to join in on this discussion?

aleka
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I would like to join your group. I've been interested in intuitive eating for quite some time. I do have a lot of books on the subject, the newest one, The Rules of "Normal" Eating by Karen R. Koenig. I'll have to dig it out and start reading it.:)

Ali

runnin' momma
07-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I am working from the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. I guess we could just keep posting here, and if we get big enough we could get a subheading like some of the other groups...(I don't really know how they decide what goes where)
I thought I might go ahead and show one big breakthrough I've had. I used to think I was addicted to chocolate. I would sneak and buy pounder bags of almond m&m's and eat the whole thing at least once a week. The rest of the week I would obsess over chocolate. If chocolate was offered to me, I would eat all I could. I would also often sneak and buy chocolate other days of the week. I had a hard time accepting that it might actually be okay to eat chocolate, so I switched to dark chocolate to make myself feel like I was getting something a little healther. (The whole food acceptance thing takes a while) At first I was eating a large bar of chocolate every day. Then I found that I could eat a few squares and feel satisfied. Now I don't feel the need to eat chocolate every day. I've had a half eaten bar in my fridge for over a month, I don't obsess over chocolate anymore, and I haven't "binged" on chocolate in two months. Negative thoughts try to creep into my head when I decide to eat chocolate, but I am being gentle and nurturing. I actually enjoy chocolate more now when I do eat it because I try to be totally conscious of what I am doing. There have been a few times when I felt like I ate more than I was comfortable with, but now I don't beat myself up. I am able to examine why I did it and take it as a learning experience. Today I thought I wanted some sweets, but I realized that I didn't have enough protein with breakfast(I only had toast and milk). I decided that I might actually need to go ahead and have a healthy lunch a little early. If I decide I would still like chocolate later, I am going to go ahead an have some. After eating some chicken and rice, I feel satisfied. I like that I am taking the time to ask myself what I need and honoring my hunger. I feel so free.

gbplinda
07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
is meeting in Chicago only I believe. I think there are four different places.

Here's the text of the email I just got with my instructions...

"This study will evaluate the effectiveness of an innovative weight loss program, called thintuition®, that Lakeshore Athletic Club believes is the future of weight loss. The thintuition® weight loss program involves natural eating and weight loss and is built on the foundation of six basic principles:

1. Distinguish appetite from hunger: An appetite is thoughts about food, while hunger is an actual physical sensation in your body telling you to eat.

2. Eat to satisfy physical hunger: The goal of eating is purely to satisfy those physical sensations of hunger and not for any other reason. And other reason for eating is consider overeating, which contributes to weight gain.

3. Eat the foods you desire: Before sitting down to eat, you determine what food(s) will satisfy your hunger, and those are the foods you eat.

4. Savor each and every bite: Take time to enjoy the food you are eating. This means tasting the flavors, smelling the aromas, experiencing the textures, and appreciating how great the food looks.

5. Regard food as fuel: Understanding that food is not comfort or love is an important step toward following your thintuition®. Food is what you put in your body to keep it running.

6. Stop eating when hunger disappears: There is a moment when your hunger disappears. The feeling is like that of no longer being thirsty. It is a place where you feel most comfortable and when you should flip the “off switch” and stop eating.

In addition to the on-line program, daily emails and other materials, there is an optional exercise component that will begin in the second month of this study. At that time, you will receive two free passes each week to use at the Lakeshore Athletic Club you registered for. We will give you more information about the exercise component and when you can begin using your passes a little further into the study."

And his name is Rob Stevens and his book is called Thintuition. I'll let you know how the program looks, I'm a bit disappointed because I thought we would be having meetings but from this it doesn't appear that way. Now my problem is that before I heard about this program starting, I signed up for weight watchers at work and gave them a check (which hasn't cleared yet) so I may have to do both? I'm not sure if that's entirely possible. What to do?!

Linda

carolr3639
07-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Wow, this is great!!!!!!! I hope you all keep posting. I have been trying to figure weight loss out for 20 yr. and am finally feeling a little peace with food. At times, when I couldn't take thinking about weight loss anymore I noticed that I lost about 3lb a month. If I could have just kept it up. But there was always another diet around the corner that looked so promising.

Suzanne 3FC
07-30-2006, 10:38 AM
This is a fascinating topic. Please keep us updated and let us know if this is working for you. The topic has come up many times in the past, but we've never found anyone that was successful with it. I'd really love to be able to say otherwise some day :)

Good luck!

babsy
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
I did it and lost 25 lbs. several years ago. It is an awesome way to lose weight, unfortunately for me, I did not keep up with it and have since not found the strength of mind or body to get back to it. It is a wonderful thing, though, and I fully recommend it. As soon as I can get my mind set going that way, I'm going to do it again!

runnin' momma
07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I think the key to this program is patience. You have to reintroduce yourself to forbidden foods one at a time. I usually overdo it the first time I eat a new food. My nutritionist has said that it may take a year for me to really become an intuitive eater. It really is a process. One big step is not weighing. When I used to weigh, if I gained I would hate myself and binge. If I lost weight, I would have a celebration binge. I won't be able to gauge my success on pounds lost because I know that I can't weigh myself. I have decided to let my nutritionist weigh me periodically (and not tell me the weight) so she can keep an eye on things.

carolr3639
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
What interests me is how the appetite changes from day to day even when you are past menopause. Some days I will hardly be hungry at all and the next day really hungry! I still make mistakes but those times are evening out. I know you have to be patient doing this but I firmly believe that most of my problem losing weight has been dieting. One thing that spoke to me was that when I started doing a lot of fasting my weight problem worsened. That was 25 yr. ago and now I can hardly fast at all. It is kind of neat, too, that when you allow yourself to eat any food, those things you thought you loved just don't seem as exciting anymore. So good to hear all your experiences with this.

BreakingFree
07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
This is a great thread. I recommend any of Geneen Roth's books, which are about trusting yourself around food and not using food to compensate for emotional wounds and deprivations. She stresses eating mindfully, eating what you're really hungry for, enjoying food and not weighing. I love her books and have been successful with her methods as long as I stay mindful, which is easier said than done. It really is a retraining process.

aleka
07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
The other day I was physically hungry and thought of what I wanted. I was craving some chocolate cake. I had a small piece and when I was finished I was totally satisfied and did not want anymore. That surprised me because in the past I would have gone back for 2nds or even 3rds. This was a small victory for me.

runnin' momma
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Carol,
I was happy to read in the book about how it is natural not to have the same hunger every day and how eventually the calories all even out. I see that with my three year old. Some days he eats well at every meal. Some days he may only want to eat once. He is just fine. I too like how foods that used to seem so fabulous don't seem all that great now that I can eat them whenever I want. I am also pickier about what I want to eat. I had a piece of chocolate yesterday and it wasn't really good chocolate. In the past I would have eaten it (and many more pieces) no matter what because it was available. The new me decided it wasn't worth wasting the time eating something that wasn't really delicious. I thought that this way of eating would have me eating junk food all of the time, but I am eating healthy food now because I get to choose to eat it, it isn't forced on me. I also know that it isn't the only thing I can eat. I had a slice of pizza for dinner last night and decided I really didn't want a second piece but felt a small twinge, so I ate some carrots dipped in ranch dressing. The old me would have eaten as many pieces of pizza as possible because it would have been (in my mind) the last time I was ever going to get to have pizza again. Then I would have been over stuffed and miserable. I would be angry at myself. and so on... Last night I felt satisfied and I felt happy that I was able to get some vegetables in. Happy feelings were never equated with eating pizza when I was dieting.

carolr3639
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Kay, That sounds great! I'm still not listening to my appetite at times, but I think I'm getting better. I have a funny disease, sarcoidosis, (tiny tumors in the lungs) that causes high blood calcium so I can't have diary products except those with little calcium like cream or sour cream. I am to stay out of the sun as much as possible because vitamin D is involved in this high blood calcium thing, too. I have learned to like soy milk with a little flavoring. It has fiber which I really need. I also take prednisone but my dose is low enough now that I don't think it is affecting my appetite. I may have to increase it again in the future. Last summer I lost 30 lb and looked good for the first time in 20 yr. but put it back on again on high doses of prednisone. Now I have lost about 10 again and hoping to keep going, though I know it will be slow. That's ok.

runnin' momma
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
It is definately hard when medications are in the mix. I gained my weight when I was put on a combination of zoloft, respirdal, and ritalin for post traumatic stress disorder induced depression. By the grace of God who put me in the hands of wonderful therapists over 9 years I have finally weened myself off all of them(as of April). Now that I am actually feeling my feelings it takes more conscious effort not to eat for emotional reasons. I start back to school next week and the kids come on Tuesday the 15th and my anxiety level is rising each day. I would love to gorge myself to numb the anxiety, but I am just trying to remind myself that it is okay to have these feelings and I am making a list of things I could do that would help me feel more prepared. I keep reminding myself that food is not the cure. When you "sober up" after a binge the problems remain.

carolr3639
08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
That's the thing with me, too. I am always trying to take the least possible effective dose. I can't seem to get it across to the dr. But he's the expert. Hope other people will chime in here on IE. There was an earlier thread called no diet. I was reading that yesterday. It's nice that you can search about anything on this site. Other sites aren't like that. Once I asked a lady how she lost her weigh.......her story......and she said she had never written down the whole thing but that it was included in past posts. That was another site with no way to search. I enjoy reading the success stories especially about those people who have similar problems to yours. The girl that lost a lot of weight on prednisone on 3Fc used Atkins and I don't think I could do that again after trying it off and on for years. Still, her story is realy inspiring. (search Lilybelle) She's under Goal.

carolr3639
08-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Forgot to say that I signed up for the Thintuition newsletter but couldn't find the book. Linda, does the book have another name like Overfed Head?

gbplinda
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
thintuition and his website also, but the book is called Overfed Head. I got a book in my packet of materials but I already read it over the 4th of july holiday weekend. I'm starting now with a 3 day journal just writing down when I eat and why I'm eating which is actually making me think more about it. Wish me luck, I'm trying to cancel my WW membership today! Oy...

My first thintuition meeting is next Tuesday, I'll let you all know how that goes.

Linda

carolr3639
08-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I subscribed to the thintuition newsletter and the deal came with that. I live a little too far from Chicago to take advantage of the health club. I was going over IE in past posts under no diet and found this:
If we remove all the issues around eating, then hunger and thirst become a body function, like peeing. If someone tried to tell you that you should only pee three times a day, at certain specified hours, etc., it wouldn't work for most of us! So we pee when we have a need to, stop when we are done. Could we do the same with eating if we really listened to our bodies?
I thought that was interesting.
Ali, Kay, How are you doing with IE?

aleka
08-03-2006, 07:53 AM
I do have the book, Overfed Head, somewhere around, but at the moment I can't find it. :o I also have Jean Antonello's books, Breaking out of Food Jail and How to Weigh Less by Eating More. In addition to those two I have 7 Secrets of Slim People.
I am taking things 1 day at a time. The other day for lunch I made myself a sandwich and had a 100 cal. pkg. of pretzels along with the sandwich. After I ate 1/2 my sandwich I stopped to see how I felt. I was totally satisfied, so wrapped up the other 1/2 of my sandwich, put it in the refrigerator, and had it with some soup for my dinner. I did not finish the bag of pretzels either.
The hardest part for me is getting rid of the "diet" mindset.
How are you all doing with IE?

runnin' momma
08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Carol and Linda!
I have used a journal on and off in the past. I think I am going to go ahead and start writing in a journal again like Linda. I have found that I am doing really well during the day, but I feel like snacking in the evening. I know that I am not hungry. I know that I am feeling anxious and want something to occupy my time. My husband is working from 3-11pm for a couple of weeks so I have the kids all day and I'm not getting my "me" time. I just want to sit down and decompress in the evening (which is when my dh would usually bathe the kids and put them to bed). Maybe I need to put in a pilates video...
I am pretty hypersensitive trying to listen for my hunger. I keep thinking my stomach will growl when I am hungry. I want that physicial sensation. Don't ask me why! hee hee
I used to want to eat out all of the time. Which would be okay if it weren't so bad on our budget. I have been making a weekly schedule of our evening meals so I know what to shop for. We don't necessarily eat them on the day we planned, but I always know what food we have. It has actually reduced the desire for eating out knowing that we have the supplies to make a tasty meal. (Our grocery bill has also reduced itself by at least $30 a week.)
Carol- I love the peeing reference. I was struggling after exercising with the fact that I am hungrier because I have exercised. When you are on a diet you usually exercise then deprive yourself of food to try to loose weight. If you actually want to recover and build muscle, you need to eat. You might have to pee with more frequency! I have to honor the fact that I might have to pee a little longer (eat a little more). Okay that was cheesy... I think I refrain from any more pee references. :)

Katpo
08-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I really like those six rules -- and this is indeed an interesting topic! I printed them out to put in my planner so I can read them often.

carolr3639
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Ali, Kay, Linda, Kathy, It is so good to hear of your experiences! This idea of IE isn't really new but has never really caught on. Suzanne 3FC, have you ever read "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole? I am reading the newest version and it is quite an eye opener. There is a co-author, the name slips my mind right now, and they see thousands of clients a year. I think they are from CA. I would love to get your input on that book. Jean Antonello's book "Naturally Thin by Eating More" is my favorite diet book, as far as interesting and being able to explain things simply. I wish I could have stuck to it when I read it almost 20 yr ago. I have 10 kids and put on about 5 lb with each one. Just as a side line, my 6th grandchild, a boy, was born Tues. ! So good to hear from you all. Carol

carolr3639
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Forgot to say, Kay, that the strange thing with me is waking up hungry in the night. (I don't get up to eat) By morning it is gone. But I do eat breakfast and get hungry a short while after rising. I really don't have a problem with hunger. Mine is recognizing fullness.

Ruthxxx
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
This intrigues me too! I just ordered the book from chaptersindigo. It should be here early next week.

BreakingFree
08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
carolr3639 -

Thanks for inviting me over here from the 100lb. Club! I don't know if you noticed but I did write a brief post here on 7/31. This is a FANTASTIC thread and I'm so glad to see some interest in this approach to eating.

I'm not familiar with any of the books/programs that have been mentioned here. My influence has been Geneen Roth (Feeding the Hungry Heart, When Food is Love, etc.). She addresses those who overeat for emotional reasons, which doesn't apply to everyone. She's about learning to meet emotional needs with things other than food. Toward that end, she stresses listening to your body to "hear" what if really wants to eat at any given time, eating mindfully so you can become reacquainted with your "hungry/full" signals and generally learning to trust yourself around food. She says that by doing these things (among others - ya gotta read the books!) she achieved her natural weight and has been able to maintain it. Let me just say that I am FAR from being able to do all this and it takes a concentrated effort on my part but when I was doing it (and I plan to start again shortly) it does work like aleka's experience w/ the sandwich & pretzels above. It does take effort & practice, though, at least for me.

Again - great thread! I'm glad to be part of it.

nelie
08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Not that I want to disagree, but I am curious if it does work. I think there are different types of hunger, one is a mental hunger and one is a physical hunger. How do you distinguish between them? I don't know.

I have also heard that hunger means your body has empty fat cells that are ready to fill so it sends you hunger signals.

I believe I have heard others who have lost a lot of weight and are at/near goal say something before about not being able to trust her own body because it constantly sending hunger signals. Obviously not something I would look forward to. I personally and trying to deal with hunger as an acceptable signal as long as I know I've been eating healthfully.

BreakingFree
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi nelie!

I'm trying to figure this all out because the whole IE approach just makes so much sense on so many levels to me. I think the most crucial skill to develop in order to eat intuitively is to distiguish between actual physical hunger and "head" hunger. My understanding is that this can be achieved by tuning in to your body's physiologic signals, eating slowly and monitoring your body for feelings of fullness and stopping the moment you feel you are no longer hungry (which may be different than the moment you are "full"). And, in my case, exploring why I use food for "emotional" reasons.

I have heard of a few people feeling hungry all the time once they near/reach goal. My personal goal is not to be "thin," it is to a achieve a weight at which I can feel comfortable and maintain without feeling constantly hungry. I can't live like that. I'd rather weigh more and enjoy my life. Plus, if I was always hungry I would be setting myself up for a binge and regaining my weight.

As we all know, everyone has to do what works best for us as individuals. I love that there are so many ways to get to the same place!

runnin' momma
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Breakingfree,
Thanks for your remarks. We trully have to find what will work for us. I know that the first second I deprive myself the binging will start.
It does take a lot of work distinguishing between the two types of hunger. I like this program in that you don't have to beat yourself up if you eat for the wrong reasons. You get to use it as a learning experience and ask yourself, if this comes up again, how will I approach it differently.
I've got some "snacking" issues that I am still trying to figure out, for example, my parents live 45 minutes from me. After I leave their house I want to stop at a convenience store and get sweets. I finally realized that I am sad that I am leaving them, my mom let us have candy bars for treats when we were little , and that I comforting myself like mom used to do. Now I don't stop like I used to. I have actually stopped, walked into the store, and walked out empty handed also. Today coming home I stopped and actually bought a sugar daddy- a treat we used to eat on long drives. Guess what, I dropped my 10 year old off at my parent's house because he is going with them on vacation to Wyoming. -There's the long drive that was on my mind! I didn't realize the connection until I got home and had already eaten the sugar daddy, but I can honestly say that it didn't make me feel better about my "baby" being gone for the next week. It wasn't a good tool. I won't use it again. You can't unlearn bad habits in a week.
I too have decided that I don't have to get down to my high school weight. I want to be comfortable and happy. I would like to lose weight, but I had to laugh because this morning I decided that I would be happy to lose 4 pounds a month. In the past I wanted 4 pounds a week! I feel very peaceful about taking the long journey toward my natural weight.
Thanks for putting up with my long posts everyone... This is sort of my journaling and my affirmation that I have made a good choice about how to take care of myself. I hope everyone who is interested in taking part will share, share, share. I don't have anyone around me that is using this program, so I don't have any other support.

BreakingFree
08-03-2006, 04:56 PM
runnin' momma -

You're giving great examples of how IE can and does work in "real life." You're an inspiration!

carolr3639
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Kay, love those long posts. BreakingFree, thanks SOOOOOOOO much for joining us. Do you have a name besides breakingfree? Yes, this way takes some time but I think in the end it will be worth it. The book, Inuitive Eating, by Evelyn Tribole explains things quite well. I still have trouble in the evening part of which I think is due to eating early when I was a kid, say around 5:30. But my hubby is a vet and farmer and we sometimes eat at 10pm. Takes getting uised to but after 37 yr. I still have trouble.

runnin' momma
08-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Carol,
I don't know how you can wait for dinner until 10! I'm in bed by then :) At my house we usually have dinner between 4 and 5. We've been known to eat as early as 3:30 on days when we don't have school! (During the school year my 3 year old is put to bed by 7 and my 10 year old by 8 so we are early to bed. Everyone is up by 5am.)
I haven't finished reading my IE book yet. I have read through chapter 11. I had to put it down for a few days and let the material digest. :) I'm heading out for a run... will check back in later.

BreakingFree
08-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Carol -

Thanks for the warm welcome! My real name is Mary (shorter than "BreakingFree" huh?;)). I will have to check out some of the other books mentioned on this thread. I'm also reading SuperFoods Rx and like runnin' momma says, it takes awhile for me to digest new or old material I haven't looked at for awhile before trying to put it into practice.

BTW, we eat b/t 7:30 & 8:30 p.m. but I'm pushing for closer to 7:30!

runnin' momma
08-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Mary,
I see you are in Houston. I'm in Fort Worth. My inlaws live outside of Houston near Bellville. I was in Houston two weeks ago for a math conference. While it is hot in Fort Worth, we don't have the humidity that makes it so much more miserable there in Houston. My kids stayed with their grandparents for two weeks and spent most of it in the pool. The only way to survive!!
Kay

BreakingFree
08-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Kay -

Yup, it's pretty steamy here. At least we're used to and prepared for it, not like the poor folks on the East Coast and Midwest. I went to Bellville for the first time last year (I've been in Houston for 20 years) and loved it. We were there for a festival but I didn't have time to go into the shops on the square. I'm sure we'll go back.

Glad your in-laws had a pool for the kids!

Mary

carolr3639
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I had kind of a sad day so far. I went to the dentist and found out I need a crown and a filling. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but I spent so much last summer on health care (over $10,000... I am uninsured) that I feel like I am wasting our money. I know it can't be helped but it still hurts. The good thing is my mom and daughter went out to eat and I didn't order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wasn't hungry. Can you believe that? Carol

BreakingFree
08-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Carol -

Any investment in your health is not wasting money. Plus, things would be a lot more expensive (and painful) down the road if you don't take care of this now.

WTG on not eating when you weren't hungry! :hug: for you.

Mary

carolr3639
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Mary, you should see if you can get some other people on this thread. Know anyone who might be interested? Carol

RSD
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone! I think I "know" a few of you from a different IE group. Thanks to Carol for mentioning this post on that group.

I have been reading about IE for a couple of years now and it's the only long term "eating plan" that I can see myself doing for life.

I am currently working my way through Intuitive Eating on my blog and also am reading Linda Moran's How to Survive Your Diet.

I like the idea of this thread on this forum. I am used to this type of a forum set up. The other groups I belong to I find hard to get very involved in just because of the set up.

Now to go back and read what you all have posted!

BreakingFree
08-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Mary, you should see if you can get some other people on this thread. Know anyone who might be interested? Carol

Mmmm, well, I've only been at 3FC for a month (not counting the 4 years I lurked :o ) so I really can't think of anyone. But people will find us if they need us, I hope.............

christy81
08-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I was SO excited to see this thread! I think it would be awesome to have an intuitive eating section on this forum!

This topic interests me to no avail! I am absolutely intrigued by it! I'm learning, sometimes slower than I want to be, but I'm learning.

This is my story: Before I got married (4 years ago) I was the same weight for years. I never ever watched what I ate and I LOVED food! I exercised, but it wasn't consistent at all and I went through a lot of stretches of time without any exercise at all. Well, 6 months after our wedding I had gained 15 pounds. I couldn't believe it! So, because I didn't believe food was the issue, I just started exercising. And guess what? The pounds came off. But then I thought I should lose another 5 pounds because that's what "they" were saying (you know, like the media and things that are said around us). So I began to watch what I ate. And then began my struggle with food. I have done the calorie counting, the Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type diet, Weight Watchers, etc. In the last 3 years I have gained and "un-gained" the same 15 pounds. Now I so desperately want to go back to normal eating and just eating...not thinking about it, but just listening to the needs of my body.

Some books I have read so far are Intutive Eating by Evelyn Tribole (sp?), The 7 Secrets of Thin People (or whatever it's called), Am I Hungry?, and I have another one coming in the mail by Linda Moran.

I will keep on coming back to this thread! It's a joy to know that there are others out there and that there's a community here where we are free to talk about this.

BreakingFree
08-04-2006, 03:52 PM
When I was successful w/ intuitive/mindful eating in the past, this website was helpful to me and I'll be using it again to get back in the correct mindset:

http://www.mindfuleating.org/index.html

I think we can get and use resources for this intuitive approach to eating from a number of different places.

First thing I need to stop doing is eating my breakfast and lunch while reading & posting here ;)!

christy81
08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Breaking free...LOL! I need to do the same thing...stop eating in front of this computer! Ha! Thank you so much for that website. What a helpful resource!

runnin' momma
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi all!
Carol, I understand about your medical woes. I spent about 8,000 in dental bills last year. Then I got a staph infection in March and that ended up being 1,500. etc. etc. etc. It seems like I am always needing medical care and my dh hasn't been to the dr in the 15 years we've been married. My heart is with you in this painful time. Listen to Mary, take care of the dental issues. Lean on us all you want.
Rhonda, Glad you're here! The more the stronger!
Christy, I so relate to how you got to where you are. I always ate whatever I wanted, worked out whenever I felt like it (which was rare). Then I met my husband who was a work out buff. All of the sudden my weight at 143 pounds (I'm 5'6") wasn't low enough according to my husband's fitness magazines.
So the dieting started, two kids at 15 years later I weigh 200. I keep thinking that if I hadn't given into the dieting mentality, my struggle with food might never have begun. That is why I am on my quest back to my old way of thinking. I don't ever have to weigh 143 again. I just want to feel comfortable.
Be right back to share an IE story from today. My little one needs a snack.

RSD
08-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't know that my goal is even really weight loss anymore. I just want to be at a stable weight. I'm sick and tired of going up and down the scale with losing and then gaining the weight back. I want to just be a size. Doesn't particularly have to be a certain size, just a size. I'm tired of having several different wardrobes. :dizzy:

runnin' momma
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Okay here is one sign of progress.
A few weeks ago I went to the movies. I got a large diet soda and a large popcorn. I got the large in my old frame of "the last supper" eating. I didn't end up eating it all, and my kids had some too, but it was the panic in me worrying that anything smaller just wouldn't be enough. The fear of running out!
Today I went to the movies. The old me wanted to get the large since it is only $.50 more. I remembered that the large was too big last time. I bought the medium this time because my brain was just not ready to handle the fact that a small would be plenty. Again I had popcorn left over and I still ate what I wanted. I even stopped eating when I realized I had had enough.
The third time will be a charm. I am ready for a small popcorn or the kids pack the next time I go. (Of course if I don't want popcorn, I won't get any.) To me this is the perfect example of relearning. It is a multi-step process, but it is comfortable. It is going to take some experimentation to get the whole process right. If I were in my old mindset, this is what I would have been saying to myself "Popcorn is bad, I shouldn't eat popcorn, I am going to eat it just this once. I better eat the whole bucket since I am never going to have popcorn again. I hate myself because I ate the whole bucket. I've ruined my diet, I might as well go binge some more because tomorrow I am going to start over and I am going to be perfect." Sound familiar?
Instead of this, I am proud of my break through. I still feel full from the popcorn, so I don't really feel the need for dinner. I am at peace.

christy81
08-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Runnin' momma, that's so awesome that you felt comfortable getting the medium popcorn. I was reading tonight in Intuitive Eating that this is all a process and that just going from a big size popcorn to a medium size is one of those changes in the process. Awesome!

Rhonda, I really like the way you are looking at your goal.

In the book Intuitive Eating, there are stages that we go through in learning to eat intuitively. The principle in the first stage is rejecting the diet mentality. That's my first goal. I figure if I take it one step at a time that it will be much better. Sometimes I feel like there's so much to learn and then I feel overwhelmed. I know this does not have to be an overwhelming process. I will have my ups and downs, but in the end there will be change!

What is everyone elses goals?

runnin' momma
08-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Christy,
Although I am working on other stages as well, rejecting the diet mentality is a daily struggle for me. I always think there has to be some magic pill! Believe me though, I've spent some money on all the pills and never lost a pound. I also have trouble looking at other people and not determining my worth based on how I look compared to them. I hate that! I want to look at people and see bodies not reasons to hate myself. One good thing is that the more I reject this way of thinking, the more I notice other peoples body talk, diet talk, food talk, etc. and I can laugh with relief because I know I am moving away from there. I am going to shoot, no slap, the next person I am eating with who say, "I shouldn't eat this" and then stuffs it in their mouth!

Tara D
08-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Physical hunger vs. mental hunger:

I guess I'm confused about why there are questions re: recognizing physical vs. mental hunger. I just assumed that physical hunger is when your stomach grumbles multiple times and mental hunger is just when you feel like eating/think about eating but your stomach isn't grumbling. I haven't read the above books, so maybe this is too simplistic, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone agrees with this description or if I am off track.
Thanks.

RSD
08-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Physical hunger vs. mental hunger:

I guess I'm confused about why there are questions re: recognizing physical vs. mental hunger. I just assumed that physical hunger is when your stomach grumbles multiple times and mental hunger is just when you feel like eating/think about eating but your stomach isn't grumbling. I haven't read the above books, so maybe this is too simplistic, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone agrees with this description or if I am off track.
Thanks.
Tara,

I think it is that simple, but for a lot of people that have been dieting for so long you sort of lose that mindset. Diets have told us how much, when and what to eat for so long that you forget that your body is made to do that for you.

carolr3639
08-05-2006, 09:51 AM
That is right, Tara. But do you know how hard it is to get rid of the dieting mindset when you've been at it more than 30 yr,? It's tough. And you have a dear hubby that knows you've read literally hundreds of books to no avail? To him it's just calories in calories out and DON'T EAT THAT CAKE!!!!! Good job on the popcorn, Kay. And then there's those hundreds of people here on 3fc that are doing it a different way. It gets overwhelming sometimes.

christy81
08-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Tara, the first thing I thought of when I read your question was that mental hunger is something like maybe you are feeling some emotions and your mind wants to be fed. Sometimes we want to eat, but we aren't hungry. It's our mind saying that it needs attention and we "think" that food will solve the problem, when really maybe it's a hug, someone with a listening ear, a warm bath, etc.

Kay, yeah...I'm around a lot of people on the SBD and they are always talking about how they can't eat this or shouldn't be eating this (as they stuff their faces with it). It gets to be pretty annoying sometimes, but then again, I was where they were once too. It's funny how we start to pick up on those things faster when we are going away from the diet mentality. It's tough to reject it, but it's a process and each day we reject it more and more. I find myself getting more and more angry with the whole dieting industry.

Carol, I agree, with all of the diets out there, it does get overwhelming. When someone loses weight, our first question is, "How did you do it?" Basically we are just wondering what diet plan worked for them.

runnin' momma
08-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Tara,
I think it also comes down the fact that people who have been ignoring physical hunger cues for so long might not recognize them anymore. Also, my stomach doesn't grumble. My first signs of the need for food are more the headache, weakness kind. The other struggle is how to change our mindset. If we have always fed our woes, we have to learn to deal with mental issues with something other than food. That can be a scary and challenging thing to do. I never realized that I self-medicate with food until I learned about IE, now I could describe hundreds of instances of this-in the past year alone!

carolr3639
08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I just finished reading The Overfed Head..........very interesting. There is the website with it, Thintuition. Might be a good place for ideas. Whenever I read a success story here on 3fc I wonder where they will be a year from now. Some seem to keep at it and stay thin. That is with diets. But I know where they have gotten me..........nowhere.

runnin' momma
08-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Carol,
Let's stick with this and support each other. I know it is tempting to try some diet when you read some of the posts. I get tempted to try them, and then I remember... I already have and they weren't for me! As we get more in touch with our bodies, we will gravitate toward healther food choices, we will eat less, etc. We will desire the foods that are the essentials of a good "diet" and we can enjoy the food we love without all of the feelings of restriction, guilt, and deprivation.

Idrial
08-06-2006, 08:21 PM
This is a great thread but also sad and discouraging for me. I never had a weight problem growing up. I ate when hungry and didn't eat when I wasn't hungry. I was very active and especially in the summer with no air conditioning, I just wasn't hungry and therefore, didn't eat a whole lot. I easily kept my weight around 118. We never owned a scale but I know my weight from the yearly high school physical that we had and I never had to change clothes sizes or anything like that.

At 20, I met my future husband. He was very controlling and made a big deal about heavy people. He always pointed them out and made fun of them. He also wouldn't eat unless I ate too. He would throw big temper tantrums and then go hungry and whine about it for hours. It just got easier to eat when he insisted rather than not and hear about it all day. (if I'd been stronger I would have said to heck with him and left him flat out but I didn't). In less than a years time, I went from 116 to 144. In the years that followed, I ballooned up to 186. I now can not tell when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I eat to numb feelings, to deal with stress. When he travels, I hardly eat and it's easy to lose weight but about a day or so before he is due back, I start bingeing something horrible. I never ate junk growing up and never acquired a taste but it doesn't matter now. I often don't even taste the food I'm gorging myself with.
We've done a lot of dealing with our issues and he doesn't nag me about food anymore but I am so much in the horrible trenches of binge eating and not listening to my body that I can't see my way out. I've tried every diet from atkins to raw, vegan to fat fasts. I last a few days then I binge. I bought Intuitive Eating a year or so ago and it's collecting dust on my bookshelf right next to the raw detox book. I feel like I can't commit to any of them and that drives me crazy, makes me upset, and sends me to next diet. Perhaps what I need is NO diet but to learn what came so naturally to me my first 20 years of life.

Sorry for the novel. I feel like I'm all over the place and I need a place to settle down.
thanks for listening..er..reading ;)

runnin' momma
08-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Idrial,
Please stay with us. We know your pain. Let's try to work through this together! :) We are all here for the same reason.

christy81
08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Idrial, I am so happy you have found this thread and have posted! Ditto to what Kay said, stay with us! :) You can walk away from diets forever! You can learn how to tell when you are hungry again! And you can get down to your natural healthy weight through eating intuitively. I want to encourage you to pick up that book, dust if off and begin reading it. Take it one page at a time, or one chapter at a time, or whatever works best for you. :) You can do this! I'll check in later to see if you've written more.

Idrial
08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Thank you Kay and Christy. I AM going to dust off the book, go to bed early tonight and read for awhile. I'm going to be gone all week and maybe this will be good for re-evaluating things and getting some focus. I will have lots of time for walks, swimming, things that I enjoy and that help me relax. I think the hotel has wi-fi but I'm not sure. If so, I'll check in when I can.

christy81
08-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Idrial, good for you for dusting off that book and reading it! Have an awesome, relaxing week and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

carolr3639
08-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Idrial, A good short book and very to the point is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. He lost 140lb in a year and a half using IE. I think you would really like that book. You can get it on Amazon. I do think Intuitive Eating is a very good book, too, just long. I'm still working on it. Keep listening. Christy, Kay and others, thanks for all your encouragement. I tried on some clothes that I wore last summer when I lost a lot due to illness and one of them fits and the other is getting looser. This may work yet. Ha!

carolr3639
08-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Forgot to say, Idrial, I love long posts probably because I love to read! Keep posting!

Lucky13
08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
hello all

I ordered the Intuitive Eating Book off Amazon about 3 weeks ago and have been reading a few pages every day...while I know that the information is not really new or ground-breaking to me, it just seems to speak to me now, you know?

I made my food list of foods that appeal to me and the next time we go to our favorite Mexican Restaurant (Abuelo's) I'm ordering the dulce de leche cheesecake, dang it!! :) Heck, maybe I'll just order it for dinner if that's what I'm really craving anyway.

I've been using the IE tools for a little over a week now and I must say I feel really good. I had one slip up last week where I vegged out in front of the TV with my pretzels and got back into the old habit of consuming half a bag...but I have recognized it and moved on.

I am a runner and am currently training for a marathon in December so I have been focusing on that more than my eating anyway.

Right now I have no idea what I weigh or what my measurements are. My goal is to weigh once or twice per month and monitor how I am feeling, how I think I did with my IE, etc...

christy81
08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Hello everyone!

A struggle: Last night I wasn't hungry, but I just wanted to eat anyway. I knew I shouldn't, but I did anyway. I was tired and I wanted to relax, so I guess the way I took care of myself in that instance was by eating. Looking back, what I should have done is just went to bed. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Something I am noticing just how much I battle with diet thoughts. I just came off of doing Weight Watchers and I feel like I'm being "weaned" off because the thoughts are still there. Just this morning I was thinking about how maybe I could incorporate intuitive eating with Weight Watchers. Huh? :dizzy: I know that wouldn't be wise.

One thing I'm trying to be real careful of us making intuitive eating just another "diet." But the topic is just so interesting to me and I feel like the more information I find, the stronger I stand. So is it wrong to read a lot of books and resources on it?

christy81
08-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Emily! I was so excited to see your post! We must have been posting at the same time! That's great that you are reading IE and already applying those things that you have learned into your life. Welcome! :)

carolr3639
08-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Christy and Emily,
I read a lot. Just an avid reader, I guess. I too had a moment this afternoon where I wanted to start eating without being hungry. But I didn't!!!! I know it tastes so much better when I am hungry. I tried on some clothes this am and they were looser. I've decided this IE thing can be fun because being too ful ISN"T fun and eating when hungry is! I couldn't believe the guy who has the Thintuition website lost 140lb in a year and a half using IE. Can anyone tell me how to get one of those little pictures by your name? Not my own picture, just something else.

BreakingFree
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Hello everyone!

One thing I'm trying to be real careful of us making intuitive eating just another "diet." But the topic is just so interesting to me and I feel like the more information I find, the stronger I stand. So is it wrong to read a lot of books and resources on it?

christy - I definitely don't think it's "wrong" to read a look of books, etc. on IE. However, what I think you're alluding to in the first sentence above is that you don't want IE to become an obsession, as maybe dieting was for you (and many of us). And I think there can be a fine line between "focus" and "obsession." My personal feeling and experience is that I have to immerse myself in any new thing I'm trying to learn for a few days/weeks until I feel I have the basics down. So while we may seem a bit fanatical at first, hopefully that will even out over time.

carolr3639
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I hope if I can finally lose some weight,so that I can help others with this. I always wished I could lose to help others, too, especially my own family because there are a few of them that fight this battle. I get excited when I think about it. My mother-in-law fought this battle her whole life and now she is in a nursing home and not fully aware of things around her. So sad. I have 10 kids and would not want them to have to fight their weight if possible.

WazzuGirl
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to lose weight since March and I've been unsuccessful. I thought I would look into IE and now I've been doing it for about a month now and have lost about 4 lbs. The first thing I did was hide the scale so I'm only weighing myself once a month. My focus for this first month was to just get all the "rules" out of my head. There's no more good and bad or right and wrong. I've been walking about 3x per week about a mile or two. I usually have a problem with binging but I don't feel the need to do that since I can basically eat whatever I want. Since I'm able to eat whatever I want, all the things I craved aren't so appealing anymore.

The best thing about this is that I'm not obsessing. No counting or worrying about eating at a certain time. I'm actually more relaxed about food and exercise and as a result I've lost weight.

runnin' momma
08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh Wow! Today was the first day back at school. We had in-service meetings all day, sooooo boring! The wow is because it is exciting to come home and have all of these wonderful posts to read. I have so many things that I want to respond to!
Yesterday I was down about my body image, so I reread that chapter to get myself refocused. That was good. I think once you read the book, you can go back and refresh aspects when you need to.
Carol, Congrats on the clothes! I think I may look into that other book "Overfed Head" as well. I like to look at lots of resources :)

Lucky, I am a runner too, and I see you are in Texas. My dh and I are running the San Antonio, White Rock, Houston, and Cowtown marathons this year. Since you said you were running in December, are you doing the White Rock? Maybe we could meet!!! I am not the fastest runner in the pack. I've done 5 marathons and my best time so far is 5 hours and some seconds. The first marathon I ran three years ago look me 5 hours and 52 minutes, so I am improving. I just can't wait to see how well I could do if I lost some weight!

Christy, The evening is when I struggle the most with eating due to fatigue or the need to relax. Congrats on realizing that you might just need to go to bed instead of eat. I ate two nights in a row. Last night when I found myself heading downstairs for a snack I went back to my room, got in bed, read my IE book a little and went to bed. I was pretty proud that I didn't give in. Sometimes you will, but the more you practice the easier it will get... I think!!! I very much relate to you thinking about combining IE with other programs. I do that too. The safe thing to do would be to ask yourself whether if doing so you would begin to restrict yourself. If so, it wouldn't be very helpful. I have been thinking a lot about the "Super Foods" people talk about. I decided that it would be good to eat those foods when I want to, but to remember that when I am restricted to only eating those things I get bored and start to rebel. I could never do weight watchers because when I tried I found that I was one of those people that found as many 0 or 1 point things that I could so I could binge. Not exactly a healthy eating mentality!

Carol, I so agree with the joy in eating when you are hungry. It is also fun when I am offered a previously "forbidden" food and I decide that I don't want any! I don't feel deprived and I am excited that I am honoring my hunger. Some foods that I used to think were so delicious don't taste as wonderful anymore! Isn't that weird?
I have more to write but my three year old wants to "show me something" will get back on in a little bit.

BOUNCY
08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Nellie, Iam new to the site!! Kinda of confusing. I just wanted to say hello and congrats on the 93lbs gone !! May I ask how you did it?What plan to
lose the weight . My name is Linda ,screen name bouncy hew!! I live in Texas.
Do you have any pictures before you started ? I hope you are having a great evening Keep up the great job!! YOu so deserve it. lol
LInda

christy81
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
First of all, I want to say that I'm getting really excited about this awesome intuitive eaters group we have here! Now we just need our own section! ;)

Kay, (runnin' momma), I'm so excited for you that you reread that chapter to get refocused. I am finding myself doing that a lot too. I struggle with food and feelings the most in the evening too. It's been a struggle for some time. I think when I was younger, I looked too food to help me get through a lot of things, but now I don't have to look to food. I'm learning! :) I kinda chuckled when I read what you said about "Super foods" because I am one that will over-analyze everything. I want to eat normally (intuitively), but all of these other things are thrown at me, like we should get 5-9 servings of vegs/fruit a day, so many servings of dairy products, etc. All of a sudden I'll start to panic and worry that I need to get all of these power foods in. There are days when it seems like all I'm eating is fat, but then there are days when I eat a lot of fruits/vegs. What is important is that we listen to what our body needs. It sure is a learning process, isn't it?

WazzuGirl, what you shared is very encouraing to me! You are eating intuitively and doing great with it! Awesome! I like the way you are focusing on things just once a month. That's something I need to do, just take things one at a time. And right on about unlabeling the food "good" or "bad." That's a huge step!

Carol, you are already helping others with this! Thank you for staring this thread. I saw your question about the picture thing. Hmmm...(click on) User CP at the top on the purple bar, and then click on the thing that says Edit Avatar on the left side of the screen. Then you can pick from a few lists of pictures. Hope that helps! :)

Breaking free, thank you so much for what you said. I like how you talked about how it's a "focus" right now to learn IE. That's what I feel like I'm doing, just immersing myself in all of the resources I can for awhile so I can get a grasp on it. Thanks for helping me see it differently!

runnin' momma
08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Christy,
THanks for the note about the overanalyzing... hee hee. (Breathing a sigh of relief that I am not the only one to do that :) ) We had to do our "colors" at school. And I am one of only three teachers on our entire campus to be a "green". "Greens" are the ones that can find a way to put any kind of data into a spreadsheet, the investigators, the questioners, etc... If people want to know anything, they ask me because I've probably already researched it. Now if I could only learn to be organized!

Wazzu, Thank you for your post. It is nice to hear from people who are working the process and finding success. I have had the urge to weigh. I am wondering if I could handle doing it once a month. I may have to think about that for a while.

Christy, I like the quote you put in your signature. I think I will find one that I really like at put it on mine!

Hugs to everyone! (Hugs feel a lot better than binging!)

christy81
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I know this has been discussed a little in this thread, but what do you think...

About weighing?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about measuring my progress. I know we don't want to obsess over our weight, but is it ok to weigh ourselves? And if so, how often? What do you all think?

carolr3639
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't think it really matters if you don't let it bother you. I like to use other things like the fit of clothes. I know it takes time for weight loss to show up other than the 5 or so lb that can come off over night or at other times. I weigh but I try not to make it a priority. Sometimes I weigh every day. Sometimes I just forget it.

carolr3639
08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I was doing some reading on the other threads and came across an interesting post by a maintainer:
I increased my calories very slowly to 1800-2000. Imagine my surprise when the scale said 138! I wasn't even trying to lose weight! In October 2005, I went on a 4 week business trip to Asia. I tried to make healthy choices and did a ton of walking, my pants were loose when I got home and I found out I weighed 135 (my goal weight!). I'm still not sure what happened, I think my body just started to feel like there was plenty of food coming in, no reason to hang on to fat reserves.
Even die hard dieters learn things by IE sometimes. This gal uses super foods for her program so she eats well but just before she reported the above she had been cutting back to try to lose more. Just thought this was interesting. Carol

BreakingFree
08-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I know this has been discussed a little in this thread, but what do you think...

About weighing?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about measuring my progress. I know we don't want to obsess over our weight, but is it ok to weigh ourselves? And if so, how often? What do you all think?

I think it's OK to weigh unless it becomes a source of anxiety and a measure of self-worth. I didn't weigh for years but unfortunately I feel that contributed to my ability to deny how heavy I had really gotten. I guess I'm not doing a "pure" form of IE (I'm also part of the SuperFoods group but am not doing a "pure" form of that, either) or else I wouldn't weigh once a week, as I have for the past 4 years. I can get rigid and fanatical in trying to follow "the rules" (as WazzuGirl said) so I'm just trying to take what I feel is helpful from different sources to create a WOE that is uniquely mine. I'm taking responsibility to figure out what works for me and that's such an important part of this process for me. I hope we all are successful with whatever we come up with for ourselves :).

gbplinda
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
but I have my first meeting at noon today, I'm not sure if Rob Stevens is going to be there but it seems that he may be leading them. I'll check in afterwards and let you all know how it went. This study I signed up for keeps talking about this e-learning program I'm supposed to be doing but I can't find it! :o

I'm better at analyzing my hunger and listening to it but I fight myself terribly when I'm eating because portions are so big and you feel you need to finish! I got my veggie egg breakfast burrito this morning which I would normally eat so I cut it in half and tucked the other half away in the fridge for tomorrow right away. Then I really took my time eating slowly and was full. My husband and I discovered last night that we ate dinner but we weren't even hungry, it was out of habit so we have now vowed to not eat a formal dinner and just listen to our bodies if they're hungry or not. I get home earlier than him so I can have something small. It's definitely hard to get yourself out of diet mode, I'm struggling with it terribly.

Linda

WazzuGirl
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I had to stop weighing myself constantly because it started to determine my mood and I knew that was emotionally and mentally unhealthy for me. I think some people are motivated by it, but I'm not so I don't weigh myself on a regular basis anymore.

carolr3639
08-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking naturally thin people don't obsess over eating and we shouldn't either. It will take time to get the hunger/fulness thing down and I think it helps to relax about it. I see changes every day in the way I approach hunger and fulness. I am getting to the point where I hate that really full feeling and I was never that way before. I thank God that we have a built in regulator to help us with this, one that I never new about before. I cook for many people (I still have 2 sons and their families near me and they come over quite a bit). Plus my mom lives with me and hubby and daughter plus 2 sons in college that are home often. I am getting to the place that I can cook for them and not eat if not hungry. I think this is an exciting adventure.

carolr3639
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry for all the misspellings. ha! Forgot to add that I was grocery shopping today and trying to decide on sugar free chocolate syrup or regular. Got the regular!!!

runnin' momma
08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Carol, Good choice on the syrup. Regular tastes better and you can use less to get the good taste :) You sound like a busy woman caring for so many kids. (It sounds like they are all about grown, but that they love coming home!)

Wazzu, I'm with you. I can't weigh myself often. I want to, but I know I will beat myself up. I need to feel a little more comfortable with myself before I can do any regular weighing.

Linda, Isn't it crazy how breaking yourself from the diet mentality is almost like it would be for someone to try to quit smoking? (That may not be the best comparison) You want to quit a bad habit but the thoughts of it sneak into your subconscious. Congrats on noticing how you are eating out of habit not hunger. I've had a hard time breaking free from the feeling that I have to clean my plate too.

lisainchicago
08-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

I have been reading the post and I am so happy I have found a group interested in doing intuitive eating. I have read the Overfed Head, Intuitive Eating, Seven habits of Slim People, and Diets still Don't Work. I agree with concept although it does seem to be a slow process. I have been doing intuitive eating for about 3 weeks and have lost 3 pounds. I eat what I want but so much less of it. I am so much more calmer not that I do not have to count every point, carb or fat gram. I done so many diets and none have ever worked for me except starvation and I would never do that again. I am a single mom of 1 and need to loose about 80 pounds. I am looking forward to supporting everyone on this journey. I no many people do not think this method will work but I believe in the process and plan to stick with it. Diets have done nothing but failed me in the past so something different couldn't hurt.

carolr3639
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Lisa, When you read Rob Stevens book you know IE works.
Linda, Anxious to hear how your first meeting went. Did you meet Rob?
I had a funny experience last night. I thought I over ate at supper because my stomach was aching. But it ached all night and I had a slight headache. Just didn't feel good. Now I wonder if it might have been a virus or something else. I ate at Subway for lunch and I was just wondering with all this heat or maybe if someone there we sick, I might have picked up something. I had some soy milk this AM and seem to be ok now, although earlier this morning I was still feeling funny. We'll see. Enjoying everyone's posts so much.

carolr3639
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Mary, What is WOE? How are you doing?

BreakingFree
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Carol - WOE is "Way of Eating." I am OK, thanks for asking. It's been a bit easier to eat less this last week as I've had a cold and don't feel like eating as much.

Sounds like everyone is trying to find their way with this. I, too, am interested in hearing about the meeting, Linda. Do tell!!

christy81
08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey all!

I just wanted to share something from IE about weighing. These are my notes I took from the book.

"Good" and "bad" scale numbers both trigger overeating.

Anytime the scale rises or falls suddenly, it's usually because of a fluid shift in the body.

Weighing yourself doesn't tell you how lean you are.

Weighing yourself keeps you focused on your weight.

christy81
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Welcome Lisa! I'm really considering reading the book Overfed Head. I'm glad you joined us! Congrats on the 3 pounds in 3 weeks!

I'm dealing with a lot of emotional stuff right now and I've been finding myself overeating. It's not too pretty! :( I don't want to do this to myself anymore. I know just sitting and letting myself feel those emotions are a lot better than trying to push them down and cover them up with food. I'm amazed that a lot of you are eating when your hungry and stopping when you are satisfied. I do that mostly in the morning and afternoon, but when it comes to the evening, I tend to go crazy with food. I'm really struggling right now. What have you done through these times that has helped?

carolr3639
08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
hi Christy, Thanks for the tips on weighing. I needed to hear that. I have more trouble in the evening, too. My hubby expects a big supper every night. Sometimes I do way to much tasting. What I needed was just to be aware of hunger. Try to ask yourself before you eat if you are hungry. Then there is a problem with getting too hungry. I usually overeat then so have to watch that, too.

kateful
08-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I've read through this thread and am fascinated with this concept. I just need a tool to help relieve me from my warm blankie of emotional eating. I'm on my way to the bookstore now to look for some more information, but in the meantime found this that I thought I would share

http://www.nourishingconnections.com/

runnin' momma
08-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Christy, I also want say thanks about the tips for weighing. I decided to go ahead an weigh this morning (Stupid me) and I was up a couple of pounds from last week. I got mad but forgot to take into account several things. First of all, going back to work. I have been eating well, but I haven't been getting the liquids that I am used to. I know I am dehydrated and my body is holding onto any excess fluid that it can. My weight can fluctuate with fluid as many as five pounds from one day to the next. The scale is not my friend. I need allow myself the time necessary for real change. I hate how a couple of pounds ruined my morning! Note to self: Don't weigh!!!!

lisainchicago
08-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi all. Christy I also want to thank you for the notes on weighing. I weighed myself this morning and was up a pound and a half. Right away my mind started thinking "maybe I am not eating enough, maybe I am eating too much, and maybe I need to try something else". I became instantly depressed. I then came here and now I feel better. I am going to try and stick with it. I am obsessed with the scale and get on it at least two times a day. This is a habit I must break. I think we can all do this if we stick together. It is hard because the diet mentality in my head says I am not loosing weight so this is not working.

As for the emotional stuff - well that is hard. Sometimes I am successful with not using food, sometimes I am not. Lately when I felt like eating when I am not hungry, I run and reread sections of one of my books. This reinforces the concepts and make me feel stronger. Other times I may watch a funny movie to get my mind off the emotional stuff and off food. A little laughter can do wonders. Other times - well I just eat! LOL

lisainchicago
08-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Kate,

Thanks for the link it has a lot good information on the site

carolr3639
08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Those are great tips, Lisa. I am bugged right now because I have spent almost 2 hr. trying to get my internet to work!!!! My hubby would kill me. Ha! But I am not hungry so I won't eat. ok? I keep reading The Overfed Head. That guy is so senisible. Now if I can just do it!

christy81
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
I just ordered The Overfed Head from the library. I can't wait to read that!

Lisa, my heart goes out to you with how you feel about what the scale showed this morning. Thursday was my WW weigh in day and I was tempted to weigh myself this morning, but I know with the emotional eating I have done this week that my weight has increased, so I know better than to really pound that fact into my head. You said that you weigh yourself twice a day. How about slowly "weaning" yourself off of it by maybe starting to do it once a day, then twice a week, then once a week, then once every two weeks, once a month, etc.? Just a thought. Or you could always go "cold turkey." ;)

A goal I have for today and for a week is going to be to eat mindfully. I think that will pretty much cover the emotional eating too. Because when I'm eating because of emotions, it's not mindfully. So that's my goal. I have picked 2 places that I will treat myself to eat. I don't want this to be a law or some rigid rule, so I'm gently telling myself that I have 2 places to sit and eat and enjoy what's on my palate. One place is the kitchen/dining-room table and the other is this recliner in our livingroom (where there is no TV). This may be a challenge at times, but I have to start with some mini goals. When I'm at work I will eat at table without the distraction of a computer.

What is your mini goal?

lisainchicago
08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Christy - I tried cold turkey before and could not do it. The scale is so addictive to me. I am going to make my mini goal this week to only get on the scale once a day. I like your strategy of weaning myself off it.

Carol - you can do it. We all can. Here is another tip I heard on the View from a guy who wrote a book called "The French don't get fat" or something like. Basically what he said was put a small serving on your plate - knowing you will probably need to go back for seconds. Eat slowly and many times you will find that you are full and do not need to go back for more food. I am also going to try this week.

4thefuture
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello Everyone! I got an invite from Carol and I've been reading up on the thread. I need to look into some of the books mentioned here and do some reading up on IE. I'm not sure if what I do is IE exactly, but I've given up on dieting completely. I'm a 31 year old wife and mother of 1 (or 2 if you count my husband as I sometimes do) who has been battling weight issues since the age of 10. I've tried just about every diet on the planet and have recently come to the conclusion that diets don't work for me. I always gain back any weight that I lost (plus some more usually) whenever my diet is over. So I decided to take my life back and change the way I think about food and exercise.
I try to control my portions and limit the amount of fat and sugar that I eat. I eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can and I stay away from processed anything as much as I can. Nothing is off limits as long as it's in moderation. I try to exercise a little each day and would like to work in much more as my schedule permits.
There's been much discussion of weighing. I love to weigh myself. I used to be obsessed with it and would weigh daily. But that was counter productive. As it has been said here both good and bad weigh-ins would cause overeating. So I now only weigh myself once a week and always at about the same time. I use it just to track progress. If it's down, I'm happy. If it's the same, I tell myself that at least it's not up. If it's up, I try to think about what I did that week and what I may need to improve on. So far it works for me. From what I've learned at 3FC, the scale is a very personal issue.
There's been lots of talk about eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full. I try to eat a little before I'm hungry. I've found that if I wait until my stomach tells me I'm hungry, then I tend to eat more. I also tend to make worse food decisions. And I think limiting portions ties into stopping when you're full. I've been a member of the "clean plate club" since I was little and it was hard to learn that it's OK to wrap it up for later or ever <gasp> throw out food that you don't want to finish.
I've recently moved and have taken to riding the bus to work. Since I now walk to the bus stop to and from home and work (totals about 35-45 minutes of walking per day) I have noticed a dramatic change in the way my clothes fit. I'm sure part of it is the way I'm eating, but I think that the exercise is a major component too.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about IE and seeing if I can be an active part of this thread. It sounds very interesting. Even if my WOE isn't IE exactly, I think they're pretty similar. Nice to meet y'all and I hope to get to know you better!

fiddler
08-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I generally cook in quantity and then freeze individual portions to take to work for lunch during the week. One side effect I have noticed from this is that when my head is telling me I am hungry but my body is not, often just the act of cooking the food--handling it and smelling it for an hour or however long it takes to prepare--satisfies the "hunger" in my head and I don't really feel like eating by the time I am done.

Weird, huh?

runnin' momma
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
My parents finally returned from Wyoming and brought my "baby" (10 year old son) home. He had been home a while and he came to me and said, "Mom, I'm looking in the kitchen, but I know I'm not hungry. What should I do?" I was really impressed! We got out the "Hi Ho Cherry-oh" game and played a couple of times (Simple game so my 3 year old can play too). I haven't told him much about IE. I have talked a little about eating, and we've always tried to focus on healthy food choices. It was just ironic how he was really listening to himself, and I ignored my thoughts and ate some popcorn when I knew that I really didn't want it. I cooked it under the excuse that maybe my three year old would eat because he didn't eat dinner. He ate 2 bites of the popcorn and was done.

Christy, I am really making a point of eating at the dinner table. We used to let the kids eat in front of the tv. We had every excuse to let them do so.
It only took a few days of insisting that they eat at the table, with the tv off, for them to get into the habit of eating at the table again. Now they don't even ask. I have had a bad habit of bringing food into the bedroom and snacking while watching tv or doing school work. I've decided that crumbs in the bed are highly undesirable :)
4thefuture, Looking at the description of your WOE, I would say it sounds pretty intuitive. You aren't restricting so much as trying to apply a little common sense. I can't wait until I'm too hungry, because like you, I make poor food choices when my blood sugar gets too low.
Lisa, Good luck on your weighing goal!
Carol, Doesn't it just feel like the end of the world when you have no internet?? I am glad that you got it working!!(And that you didn't need food to handle the stress)
Well, I'm heading off to bed so I can get up and work out before I go to work. They open the school at 6:30 a.m. and I like to get there before anyone else gets there to distract me. School starts Tuesday, and my room looks like a tornado went through it. Luckily my student teacher will be there to help me get everything in order. I insist that I am allergic to cleaning and should not be forced to tidy up after myself!!! (Okay.... wishful thinking)
Keep up the good work ladies!!!!! :)

lisainchicago
08-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi everyone.
Welcome 4thefuture. I would say you are doing IE. I also need to eat before I get really really hungry because that will promote overeating. Read some of the books mentioned. They all are pretty similar and can be found on Amazon.com.
Kay -my son (15) has this IE process down pat. I never made him eat when he was younger, even it was dinner time. All through his life he has never eaten when he was not hungry. Some days he eats very little and I wonder how does survive off so little food. Other days it seem like he is eating everything in the house. I think this is the way to go as he as never had a weight problem.

Yesterday was not a good day as I think I ate a couple of times when I wasn’t really hungry. My problem is also once I am eating something I really like - it is hard to put the fork down. I really need to tell myself that I can have more later if I get hungry. I just love the taste of food. I also think I need to make better food choices. Since I started I think I rebelled against dieting and started eating everything that previously not allowed on most diets - pizza, regular soda anything fried, Mexican. I think this is natural as most of the books state that eventually I will not want those things. It is just that I have deprived myself of them for so long. Everything should be able to be eaten in the correct portion and only when hungry. I also am exercising now doing Turbo Jam which is really really fun once you get the hang of it.

lisainchicago
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi all. Here is some good information I found about IE.

Honor Your Hunger—Eat Only When Physically Hungry

Keep your body fed biologically with adequate energy, otherwise, you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. When you reach the point of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderation are gone. You will overeat (eating to a stuffed/full sensation.).

Eat only when physically hungry because any food that goes into your body when you are not hungry will get stored. IF you have any doubts about whether you are hungry or not, you probably aren’t! True hunger is unmistakable.

If you are not able to gauge your degree of hunger at first, this rule of thumb can help you get back on the normal hunger track: Go no longer than 5 waking hours without eating, then assess your hunger level. (Your liver’s energy tank runs out of “gas” in about 3-6 hours).

Assess Your Hunger Level

The hunger scale is a way to describe your level of hunger, by describing it you become more conscious and better able to assess your hunger and need for food. You can lose weight and never gain it back, if you eat only when you’re physically hungry (a 3 on the hunger scale) and only eat until you are satisfied (5 on the hunger scale). If you often eat until you are uncomfortably stuffed you will gain weight, especially when your physical activity is limited.

0 – So hungry that you are not hungry
1 – Headache, shaky, too hungry to care what or how much you eat—you WILL overeat
2 – Losing concentration, grumpy—seriously hungry – your stomach is empty, you must eat now
3 – I’m hungry, stomach growling
4 – Not hungry, but not satisfied
5 – Satisfied, comfortable, not hungry
6 – In slight discomfort, you feel the food
7 – Uncomfortable – sleepy, sluggish, you want to change into loser clothes
8 – “I ate too much – I am stuffed” Very uncomfortable, stomach hurts
9 – Overly stuffed
10 – In pain. Thanksgiving Dinner – take a nap

Assess Your Level of Fullness

Listen for the body signals that tell you, you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show you’re comfortably full…not stuffed. Stop when you’re halfway through your meal and ask yourself what your current fullness is. To control your weight under any circumstance you must develop good eating habits. The key to good eating habits is being able to eat when you are hungry and continue eating until you are satisfied and not a bite more. It is being able to choose food you like and consume it without the fear of weight gain. Regular eating habits distinguish good eating habits. For most people this means eating three meals a day and including snacks to satisfy hunger. Good eating habits should be regulated by internal signals of hunger, appetite and fullness. The goal is to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied.

Healthy Eating Reminders

• Remind yourself constantly that NO food will make you fat, as long as it is eaten in moderation, moderation means eating when you are hungry and stopping before you are uncomfortably full

• Eat a variety of foods, eat a little of everything you are served. A wide variety of foods are essential for a balanced diet. Just as no one food will make you fat (eaten in moderation), no one food contains all the nutrients you need for a well balanced diet.

• Don’t feel obligated to clean your plate by eating every crumb.

• When you habitually clean your plate, your eating style goes on autopilot—you eat until completion, until your food is gone. You may certainly be aware that you are engaged in the act of eating, we find that somewhere between bites one and one hundred there is a significant level of unconsciousness

• Pause in the middle of a meal or snack. Are you still hungry? Do you feel unsatisfied, or is your hunger going away and you are beginning to feel satisfied?

• Satisfying your hunger means that you are no longer hungry—you have eaten the right amount of food to fill your stomach and take away any feelings of hunger

• Overeating means that you have overfilled your stomach—your waistband feels tighter, your fat cells are anxiously awaiting that extra serving of poogie bait, snack food, lasagna or extra bites of pizza.

• Resign immediately from the CLEAN PLATE CLUB! You can always eat again whenever you are hungry. Remember it is better WASTED than WAISTED.

• Cope with your emotions without food, don’t use food to bury your feelings. An emotional eater learns early on that food is a great way to cope. Here are some reasons why you may eat other than for physical hunger:

Boredom Procrastination Anxiety
Grief Frustration Stress
Rage Depression Anger
Habit Social Soothing

Cope with your emotions by developing healthy coping mechanisms. Do activities that will help you keep your mind off of food or the emotional feelings that are triggering you to eat? Try the following:
o Increase physical activity. Exercise can help clear your mind and decrease your frustration or stress.
�� Do a few sit ups or push ups
�� Take a walk or a jog
o Plan activities that are not centered around eating or food. Try to actively think of things that you can do when you are bored or have some extra time on your hands.
�� Play cards
�� Crossword puzzles
�� Write a letter
�� Read a book

lisainchicago
08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I am on a Thintuition email - so here is some information I received. I had originally signed up for the site - but there was not much activity on the boards so I cancelled it.

Diet Mentality vs. Thintuition

1. Birth to age 1: Diet Mentality

Your mother listens to doctors, authors and weight loss experts about what, when and how much to feed you. You start listening to them instead of to your own body. The cycle begins.

1. Birth to age 1: Thintuition

Your mother trusts that you will let her know when you are hungry. She lets you decide what tastes good and when you have had enough. She doesn’t make you eat anything you don’t like or encourage you to eat more than you need.

2. Young Child 2-3: Diet Mentality

Mom makes the decisions about what and how much you should eat. She starts teaching you that she knows better than you what your body needs. She starts training you to eat foods that you don’t really like because they are foods she thinks you should have. She also teaches you to finish everything on your plate and to not waste food.

2. Young Child 2-3: Thintuition

Mom is relaxed about food. She gives you a variety of foods and starts noticing and accepting which ones you like and which ones you don’t like. She offers you lots of new tastes, textures, smells and colors and lets you decide what you like eating best and what you want to leave on your plate. Throwing away food is no big deal.

3. Child 4-9: Diet Mentality

One or both or your parents continue to push certain nutritional foods on you and start to play games to get you to eat when you are not hungry or eat more than you physically want or need to eat. You also start to learn that if you eat the foods you don’t like, then you will get the foods you do like, especially dessert. You are convinced that Mom knows better than you about what and how much you should eat. So in order to please her, you give in to her and mind her. It’s a lot easier to give in than to deal with disappointing her. (Most of these Moms are either overweight themselves or compulsively thin)

3. Child 4-9: Thintuition

Your parents are liberal about giving you a variety of foods and not overly focused on giving you foods based on their content (calories, fat grams or carbs) and let you decide how much you should eat. They teach you that food is simply fuel for your body and how more nutritious foods will make your body run better. There is no pressure about food. They teach you that food has no power to do anything other than provide you with needed nutrients, energy and sustenance. You know that pleasing your parents has nothing to do with what is or is not on your plate or what you do or don’t eat. Food is rarely a major topic of family discussion, merely playing another part of everyday life. (These parents have had very few issues with weight and seem to simply enjoy a variety of foods without obsessing about them.)

4. Youth 10-12: Diet Mentality

You start realizing that you can get away with secretly eating the foods you really want (like chocolate) rather than eating the healthier foods your parents push on you. You start using food as a way to communicate your independence and power. Your parents start noticing this and exert more power over you, laying down family laws like enforcing membership in “the clean plate club” or some variation on that theme. While you know that can get away with many things, you also know that you must keep your parents happy, so you try to abide by their rules. At the same time, you notice that by exerting independence and power by sneakily eating “bad foods” that your waistline is starting to grow. This is starting to become a problem, as is fitting in with others.

4. Youth 10-12: Thintuition

Your parents let you make more of your own decisions in life, unrelated to food, and this feels good. You have no emotional attachments to food and feel no pressure from your parents to please them with regard to eating or not eating certain foods. They trust you to be in touch with what your body needs, eating when you get hungry and stopping when your hunger is satisfied. You understand basic nutrition, but give it very little thought as you just eat whatever sounds good-- whenever you get hungry enough to eat. The focus in your activities and with your friends is not on food but on the people you are with. Food and eating take very little thought.

5. Early Teen 13-16: Diet Mentality

You are starting to not feel good about your body. You are not doing all of the things you want to do in life. Your size is starting to effect your decisions about what activities you participate or don’t participate in--especially not doing some of the things that the other, thinner kids are doing. Your parents are concerned for your well being and want to help. So they recommend that you go on a diet to help lose weight. Or they send you to your family doctor, who recommends that you go on a diet. He tells you that if you don’t do something soon, you will get even larger and it could become a health issue. Food, eating and your weight are now a major concern and your eating habits are now primarily based on following a weight loss diet. This is the time when you first start to be disconnected from listening to your body to guide your eating. Your eating starts being dictated by external sources, not internal ones. It becomes your way of life for the rest of your life.

You can’t understand why some of your thin friends are not having similar weight issues even though they are eating the foods they love--foods you miss eating because you are on a diet. You start learning about good and bad foods, low fat foods, carbs, proteins, fat grams, calories, etc. while your thin friends don’t focus on any of these things. You believe that dieting is the way to get thin. You believe that the harder you try to stick to your diet, the more success you will have. Your parents acknowledge you for doing well on the diet and express disappointment when you don’t follow it. Your emotions fluctuate based on your success or lack of success with your diet. Food and dieting are taking a huge amount of time and thought.

You are also told you have to exercise, even though you hate it, because your parents or the doctor say you must. You begin the roller coaster ride of weight loss and weight gain. You’re either on a diet, then off a diet. You’re always looking for the next best diet or exercise program. Your weight is becoming an increasingly difficult problem to solve.

5. Early Teen 13-16: Thintuition

School is your major focus. You are making friends and developing your personality. Food and eating are left in tact, as a natural function of living. You are beginning to be interested in a larger variety of foods and are left alone to enjoy these new foods. Food is just food to you. Food has no good or bad connotations. You have very little understanding of the content of food. You just know that when you are hungry, there will be food, and you will eat whatever sounds good to eat at that time. In socializing with your friends you are beginning to make up opinions about some of your friends who are getting fat and are wondering why they are getting this way. You are active and enjoy playing outdoors. You have the freedom to exercise whenever you feel like it and its fun. You don’t equate exercise with losing weight to because weight is not an issue for you.

6. Teen 17-19: Diet Mentality

You are in a set pattern of diet mentality. Your life has shifted, as many of your decisions in life are filtered through your issues with weight. Your weight frequently stops you from doing what you really want to do in life.
Life feels like it’s gone off course as you feel a lack of satisfaction and wholeness in many areas of your life. You also start making compromises to compensate for the problem with your weight. You might not go after the education or career you really want because fat people can’t do that. Or you date people below whom you desire just because they accept you. Your happiness is reflected by the size of your clothes or the numbers on the scale. You feel little power to change this problem without the help of someone or something else. And the diet industry is your saving grace. You can’t have the life you want being fat. But the diet industry will help you attain the life you want because their programs all sound so fast and easy. Others succeed at them so why not you? And people tell you how cute your face would be if you would just lose weight. You are always either on or off a diet, starving or binging. This cycle continues for the rest of your life. Even so, you believe that some day you will find that perfect diet, program or pill and lose all your excess weight, keep it off for good and have everything you ever imagined--just like all of these happy people on those weight loss commercials you always see.

6. Teen 17-19: Thintuition

You are deciding on what education or career sounds interesting, while enjoying new friendships. Many of your relationships seem healthy and satisfying. Your focus is on friends and meeting new people and learning what interests you by testing your boundaries. Still, food and eating occupy little space in your head other than to ask yourself what really sounds good whenever you get hungry. Your family does not impose pressure on you or acknowledge you for what you are eating or discipline you for eating something you shouldn’t. Food has no emotional charge and is not used as a tool for power or manipulation. Nor do you feel the need to hide whatever you enjoy eating.

No food is of limits and you dislike feeling full (feeling pressure in your stomach) from overeating. You are discovering that your physical appearance has a lot to do with how you are being perceived. You take responsibility for how you look and know you can manage this. Being thin feels good and healthy. You are optimistic about the future and the endless possibilities it holds. You wonder why some of your friends are always dieting, or constantly obsessing about food or their weight. You feel compassion for them but are perplexed why you eat what you want and stay thin while they always diet or eat healthy foods and stay fat. You think that maybe you were just born with the thin gene and they were just born with the fat gene.

7. Young Adult 20-35: Diet Mentality

The roller coaster ride continues as you spend thousands of dollars on diets and on exercise equipment or programs. You get endless opinions and advice from doctors, nutritionists, friends etc. Your weight is the major issue in your life. Even if you are not constantly talking about it, it’s always on your mind. You can’t seem to figure out why you have so much success in some areas of your life and yet you have no long-term success in managing your weight. Even when you manage to successfully lose weight, keeping it off becomes nearly impossible. And you can’t figure out why this is so, no matter how hard you try. You start believing that this is a problem you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. This desperation causes you to start experimenting with potentially dangerous drugs or wacky diet programs, regardless of their potential health consequences. The larger issue is just getting the weight off, no matter what, once and for all.

People begin to tell you that they love you either way. They just want you to be healthy and happy. You begin to feel overwhelmed with all of the information about food, exercise and the best way to lose weight. Everyone has a different opinion. You start adapting your personality to compensate for not being able to control your overweight condition, like becoming the funny person, or the over achiever, or acting like you are happy being fat. You use food to reward or punish yourself, or to help you deal with your emotions, even though you know that food will never really solve your problems, only add to them. You also get a lot of attention from being overweight, complaining about how hard it is, commiserating with your overweight family and friends. And food is generally the major focus of any get together.

Since you can’t solve the problem permanently, you start resigning yourself to just accept being fat. You try modifying your clothing or hanging out with people who are also fat or those who are on a lower playing field than you are, to make yourself feel better. You start creating a reasonable dramatic story about why you are fat, such as a reaction to the hardships you suffered as a child, or finding an effective way to keep others at a safe distance. Still, you believe that once you find the right weight loss program, you will have the life you have always wanted. It’s all about someday when this weight issue is over with. You wonder why all of those people on the commercials seem to be able to do it, and it’s so easy. What’s wrong with you?

7. Young Adult 20-35: Thintuition

Your career is starting to blossom. Your professional life is consistent with your vision of a happy future. You still have some issues from your past. Some of them you have dealt with, and others remain in place. But eating to deal with those issues or to not deal with them doesn’t cross your mind. You deal or don’t deal with your issues in ways other than by going to food. Some of those ways are healthy and productive, like communicating with others or asking for help. Other coping behaviors may be more destructive or addictive like explosive anger, drinking, smoking, gambling, shopping or sex. Still, food remains neutral for you, even though life is throwing you some curve balls. You are connected to your body; you eat what you want whenever you get hungry, and you stop eating when your hunger disappears-- because you simply don’t like feeling full.

You enjoy getting a compliment from someone who admires how good you look. You are concerned about how fat some of your friends or family members are getting but fear that trying to help them might be considered offensive. You think that maybe they might envy you for having a faster metabolism. You might enjoy playing sports or exercising or neither and still you remain thin. You might eat healthy foods or you might eat junk food. Neither ever affects your weight.

Everywhere you go you see how much focus our culture places on weight loss. You see all the low carb, low fat, low calorie menus. You read about all the lawsuits, watch endless diet and exercise commercials and infomercials. Sometimes it even becomes kind of irritating to have all of this advertising thrust on you when you have no interest in it whatsoever. It seems so unnecessary for our culture to place so much emphasis on food and eating when food should just be enjoyed and not obsessed about.

When you are with family, you enjoy some of the memories associated with various foods from childhood and its fun. Your parents are still thin and active. They like treating you to meals out at your favorite restaurant or making you the foods you have always loved. Food and eating are a natural part of your every day life, not any more or less important.

8. Adult 36-50: Diet Mentality

You are still dieting, having successful weight loss, followed by weight gain, which leaves you even fatter than you were before your last diet. Or you have just accepted yourself for the way you are, telling people that you are happy being fat. But deep down, this is really a lie. You surround yourself with others who share your beliefs about how to lose weight, through diet and exercise, and support your efforts to do so. Your doctor has told you that your weight is becoming a medical issue and that it could cause more serious health problems. He recommends seeing a nutritionist. The nutritionist moderates your diet and you have short-term success. But the weight comes right back. You may begin to consider getting involved with a fat acceptance group or overeaters anonymous because these people will understand and accept you just the way you are. Still, you are intrigued by what the diet industry keeps telling you. You still listen to the latest weight loss theories from the best selling author/doctors, especially the ones who propose diets that allow you to eat unlimited amounts of this or that food. Or you believe the scientist who says that being overweight is genetic and not your fault.

Even though you are extremely frustrated with your body and your weight, you are learning to cope with accept your persisting weight issue. All the while, you hold on steadfastly to the hope that someday the magic cure will come. Or you might be considering gastric bypass surgery as a last resort, especially if you are obese enough that your doctor recommends it. “After all, obesity is a disease and it’s not my fault. If my insurance will pay for it, why not do it? After all, look what it did for Carney Wilson and Al Roker. It could just be the answer to all my problems.”

8. Adult 36-50: Thintuition

You are enjoying your career and focusing on the quality of life. Your health is important to you, so you may choose to eat healthier foods because they fit into your healthy lifestyle and your commitment to maintaining a healthy future. Sometimes you eat some really wild, fun or exotic foods. You continue to eat the way you have always eaten, only when you are hungry and stop eating when you are comfortable and satisfied. You have no issues around throwing away food or saving it for later. Food is very satisfying when you are hungry and dining out at nice places is very enjoyable after a long week.

9. Mature Adult 51-65: Diet Mentality

You are staring to have some health issues, like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, joint pain or other pains in your body. Attractive and stylish clothes are harder to find. While it appears that your weight does not restrict you, the truth is that it is costing you in many areas of your life. You keep trying the latest diet and exercise program, do well on it and then gain it all back, plus some. You really got dealt a bad hand in the genetic or metabolic gene pool. The thought of strangling one of those thin people, who must all come from another planet, sounds like fun.

Yet hope still springs eternal that the answer to all your prayers lies in modern science or medicine, or in the billions spent on research, or in the next product that famous diet and exercise gurus are all working on discovering that will finally give you the long term results you so desperately desire. “They have to be getting close to coming out with a safe, healthy and effective pill, with tolerable side effects, that will melt away the pounds as I sleep, so I will have everything I want in my twilight years. Well I didn’t get to have it when I was young, but hey, it’s all about enjoying the older years.” Or, “I accept myself as I am and no one is going to tell me what to do. I’m fine the way I am and it’s certainly not my fault. After all, I was born with big bones. And it’s no secret that after women go through the change, weight gain is just inevitable.”

9. Mature Adult 51-65: Thintuition

This is the time when you can finally enjoy all of the effort and hard work you have put into everything that has been important to you. You notice how your body doesn’t seem to want as much food as it has wanted in past years. You just seem to have more left over on your plate at the end of a meal. Or, since the portion sizes in restaurants are so huge, you often split or share your yummy meal with your dining companion when you dine out. Still, your weight has never changed much over the years. You feel compassion for others in your circle of friends and family who continue to struggle with their weight or are having health issues from being overweight. But you are fed up with listening to this incessant talk of dieting, of good and bad foods, of exercise, etc. and you start limiting the amount of time you spend with these people.

10. Senior 65 and up: Diet Mentality

You are done with diets, at this point, and you are simply surviving all of the ailments associated with your overweight condition. You are on more than one medication and it’s very costly. You would like to do more activities and enjoy these retirement years, but it’s just not possible. So you begin collecting Lladro® figures and have over 100 pieces in your collection. QVC is a priority in your life and spending money is your association to fun. Yet you still like talking about special foods and diets. You tend to patronize places that offer lots of food for a low price. You are not as concerned about your weight as you once were. “After all, my days are numbered now and I am going to enjoy food and stop worrying about my weight. If I couldn’t do anything about it all my life, I’m sure not going to do anything about it now, especially since my metabolism has slowed down to a crawl. Besides, I have a good insurance plan to cover my medical expenses. Joan Rivers® has a new jewelry collection on QVC, and then it’s off to the Chinese buffet.” The annual Richard Simmons ® Cruise to Lose becomes your annual vacation and lets your friends and family know that you are still trying. Yet you come back having gained 6 pounds on the cruise, but you got to tell everyone on the cruise your horrible story of rejection as a child, which they listen to with glazed eyes from hearing it so many times over the years.

10. Senior 65 and up: Thintuition

Life is good. You finally have the freedom to do what you want to do, when you want to do it. Traveling is fun. You finally have the time to take up those beloved hobbies you didn’t have time for when you were working so much in your younger years. Still, eating is just fuel for your body. And although you have some issues with your health, they are not related to your weight. You’re planning a hike through the desert this winter as part of your winter vacation. The idea of hiking 30 miles at age 70 sounds delightful, especially since the tour company brings along some of the most amazing food.

Sevryn
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Hello, all! I just signed up for Thintuition yesterday on the recommendation of a friend. I also read The Overfed Head the other day. It's a very good book, and a quick read, I read it in one sitting. I'm still learning about the whole concept and will read through this thread. :) I'm glad there's others here who are doing something similar.

BreakingFree
08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi all. Here is some good information I found about IE.

• Cope with your emotions without food, don’t use food to bury your feelings. An emotional eater learns early on that food is a great way to cope. Here are some reasons why you may eat other than for physical hunger:

Boredom Procrastination Anxiety
Grief Frustration Stress
Rage Depression Anger
Habit Social Soothing

Cope with your emotions by developing healthy coping mechanisms. Do activities that will help you keep your mind off of food or the emotional feelings that are triggering you to eat? Try the following:

o Increase physical activity. Exercise can help clear your mind and decrease your frustration or stress.
�� Do a few sit ups or push ups
�� Take a walk or a jog
o Plan activities that are not centered around eating or food. Try to actively think of things that you can do when you are bored or have some extra time on your hands.
�� Play cards
�� Crossword puzzles
�� Write a letter
�� Read a book

Lisa -

There is some great information here - thanks so much for sharing. The one area where I have a problem is in the paragraphs above. Keep your mind off your emotions by doing crossword puzzles so you don't overeat :?:?? Please, anyone, let me know if this works for you!

IMHO, what is suggested here are distractions from our desire to eat when what is needed is identifying and dealing with why we eat/overeat to handle our emotions. I agree that we need to find other ways of coping than eating, and exercise and other enjoyable activities may ultimately be the way to do this, but until we get at ther root of why we've engaged in this destructive behavior for so long, it will be very hard to be successful w/ intuitive or mindful eating.

I would restate it this way:

Learn to cope with our emotions around food by:
- Reading all we can about emotional eating*
- Consider therapy to explore why we use food to handle our emotions
- Join groups like this! or other support groups
- Consider attending workshops related to emotional eating
* even if we can't/don't want to do the others on the list, everyone can do this one if they want.

THEN we can choose to use other activities as healthy emotional outlets.

As you can see, I feel very strongly about this! This has been my process and, of course, may not work for you :) .

lisainchicago
08-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I agree with you. We do have to deal with our emotions and how that plays a part in emotional eating. I think the article is just trying to give alternatives to eating.

lisainchicago
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Sabrina,

I see you are in Chicago. Are you actually attending the Thintuition workshops in Chicago? Also is your friend doing it or had success with the process.

carolr3639
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Lisa, Mary, Kay, 4thefuture, and everyone! What a lot of good info you have given. I have another problem....eating out. Last night we went to Dubuque for my granson's birthday. We were waiting on my son to get home from work so we could go out to eat. We were all starving so picking at chips. I was trying to be really careful but by the time we got to dinner I was not very hungry. So I thought I would order and just eat a little. I did take some home but not enough. Maybe this kind of thing will come with time.......getting used to not eating when everyone else is. Seems like there are so many situations to figure out.

Sevryn
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Sabrina,

I see you are in Chicago. Are you actually attending the Thintuition workshops in Chicago? Also is your friend doing it or had success with the process.
I'm not, but my friend is doing the workshops, she's in some sort of study. She's been doing it for a little more than a week I think and has lost about 3 lbs so far. She lives in Lincoln Park so going to the workshops for her is easy. I'm wayyyyy up in the northern burbs near the border so it's not convenient to me. :) I know another gal that did the online program too, I forget how much she lost. I'll have to go look it up.

4thefuture
08-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Lisa, I hear what you say about your son being good at IE eating. I think that most younger children are really in tune to their bodies and use IE until society tells them to ignore their bodies and join the norm. It's great that he's been able to keep that mentality for so long. What a great working example to learn from. Who said that we can't learn something from our children?
I really enjoyed the information about the development of food thoughts as it pertains to human development. I have to admit that I am terrified that I will pass on my diet mentality to my 4 year old daughter. That is one reason why I switched to IE. I really wanted my thoughts on food to be positive. She picks up on so much - much more than I would think possible for such a little one.
Carol - Eating out is such a major problem, but something that I really enjoy. First there's the problem of picking someplace that has healthy but tasty food that the whole family can agree on. Then the portions they serve are generally outrageous! And going to a restaurant hungry is torture with the bread/chips they have out on the table. My mom taught me to eat an apple before I go to a restaurant to take the edge off. I like going to places that have their menu on-line (or ones where I have the little take-home paper menus if we've been before). That way I can choose what I'm going to eat while I'm munching on my apple and before I'm starving smelling all of the great food surrounding me.

WazzuGirl
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I find eating out really difficult as well. I don't cook that much -- I don't really like it. So, when I go out I usually feel like "Oh, I'll never be able to eat this again". That is so hard! When I'm out to dinner I love to talk and I'm usually completely clueless about how much I'm eating. I think for me it's just getting into the habit of stopping during the meal at least once to determine how full I feel. What I'm learning so far is that it's a process, it's going to take time, and it's not a quick fix. There is no failure either. There are times when I'm not eating when I'm hungry, I'm eating for other reasons so I just make a note of it. I'll try to determine what my motivation for eating was -- was it emotional, was it pressure at a party, was I bored? This is where putting the scale away has helped. Instead of thinking, "Oh no, I have to answer to the scale tomorrow morning", I look at it as more of a bigger picture. One night of overindulgence isn't going to ruin everything. This big picture thinking has really helped me to stop bingeing.

runnin' momma
08-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi ladies!!! Argh eating out!!! When I am with my dh and kids I am fine. We don't talk too much and I can be mindful of what I am eating. Today I went to lunch with some of my girlfriends and we were so busy talking that I ate without paying attention. By the time I noticed what was going on I was overly full! That was a bit of a disappoiontment. On a positive note, when I realized what I had done, I quit eating with food still left on my plate evenly though a little voice in my head said, "There isn't much left, you might as well finish it." I am also happy to say that it has been a while since I had had that full miserable feeling. I don't miss it!!!!!
I think eating out may take more practice than eating at home for all of us. Living under the "Diet mentality" you could never go out to eat without major guilt or temptation.
Mary, I agree about addressing the emotional struggles. I do puzzles to distract myself when I want to eat from boredom. Sometimes I want to eat because I am tired and stressed from work, and doing a puzzle is a way to "check out" for a while. Puzzles are definately not for avoiding important emotional issues.
It is so nice to see everyone posting! I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and learning.

christy81
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Lisa, I am also doing Turbo Jam! I really enjoy it. Thank you so much for all of the information you posted. That's awesome!

Emotional eating can be the pits, but I think just letting ourselves feel those emotions is an important thing. It's better than stuffing our feelings down with food. (I'll need this reminder later for myself I'm sure--ha!).

Going out to eat can be more of a temptation with overeating. What I try to keep in mind that I can take what I don't finish home with me. Order what you really want and you will be satisfied. You can do it!

One thing I struggle with is that I don't always "want" to stop eating even though I'm satisfied.

carolr3639
08-12-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a couple more situations to think about. Last night we prepared and froze about 90 qt of sweet corn. It took hrs and I was so tired that I wasn't even paying attention to fullness. We had supper in the midst of all that and then there were cookies, etc. I think I kept eating because I was so tired and trying to keep going. It took about 7 hr even with the help of some of our kids........from 5pm to 1am. The other thing is that my youngest son is expecting a girlfriend to come visit that we have never met. She is flying in on Aug 28th. All I can think about is, "I have got to start starving to get some of this weight off. What will she think of me?" Anyone ever had things like that happen. Linda, how did the meeting go?

carolr3639
08-12-2006, 10:42 AM
After I wrote that last note I was rereading some of the posts and I noticed that about a week ago all was well in IE land and now it seems I am not doing too good. Oh, the ups and downs of life!

runnin' momma
08-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Carol, Don't get down!! Put the "downs" in the learning column and move on. You are learning! You were exactly right seeing yourself eating because you were tired. Don't let the diet mentality suck you in! If this girlfriend doesn't like you for who you are, then she can pack her bags and walk home! If you are nervous and want a little confidance get yourself a pretty new shirt or outfit to wear. Remember, she is probably just as worried as you are! Maybe she doesn't have a weight issue, but there will be something that she thinks will keep you from liking her. Approach her with the obvious warmth you share here. I haven't seen you in person, but I already know your beautiful! It's the internal beauty that really makes you care for someone and builds a relationship.

carolr3639
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Kay, I needed that. Today is much better. I'm really tired because of 2 late nights but I took a nap and feel better. The grandkids are here so that is always fun. My youngest daughter just got her lisence and took them to the swimming pool.

Idrial
08-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi All! It's nice to see this thread really take off! I made it thru my week in a hotel and eating out every meal. I had one night I was so hungry, physically hungry so I ate a second supper and felt much better. I felt ok about it because I knew it was physical, not emotional. I found that being away from home made it easier. I think it helped not to be in a routine. At home I mindlessly eat whenever something emotional gets too heavy for me. By being away, I had to make a conscious effort to go get the food and unless I was truly stomach hungry, it just wasn't worth it. I have one more week of eating out every meal and then next Sunday, August 20th, I'm down to only traveling 3-4 days a week until May. I also walked for an hour 4 out of 6 days this week and a couple of those days I walked for 3 or 4 hours total. That's good for my presidential fitness points!

I'm glad to see so many doing this.

Sevryn
08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
So here's a dilemma... what if you think for dinner you'd like to order pizza. Do you wait until you're hungry to order or do you order it hoping that in 45 minutes to an hour you'll be hungry. If you do the former then you're probably more likely to eat more when it gets there, right? Because not only will you be hungry but you'll be thinking about that pizza for a long time. I guess that's the same problem with going out.

Idrial
08-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Sabrina, I think that's about the same as deciding what to cook for dinner, then cooking and waiting for it to be done. By the time it's done, you probably are hungry and can eat with control, whereas if you wait to start dinner until you are hungry, you might overeat or snack until it's ready (the latter is what I fight). Personally, I would order the pizza and if you aren't quite hungry when it arrives, put it in the oven on low to keep it warm and then eat when you are hungry.

carolr3639
08-12-2006, 08:50 PM
That sounds like a good plan, Idrial. That's a problem for me......cooking supper. With 10 kids I have spent years cooking AND tasting. Not a good combo. Things are a little slower now but the problem of being hungry while cooking persists. Seems like there are an incredible amount of situations that need addressing. So if we each post our predicaments we might get some good suggestions.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Carol - I have done that myself. Eat in a resturant and was not hungry. Mayb you could of just had them wrap it immediately to go and just sipped something at the table. That way you could still socialize without really eating.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Sabrina,

Sounds like your friend is doing good 3 pounds in week. The most I have lost in one week is 1 pound.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
4thefuture,

It is great that you are starting with you daughter early. There is so much pressure for girls and women to be thin. I think much more than for boys. I have a 9 year old niece who really does not eat because she says she does not want to get fat. She is not overweight but I already see that she will have problems in the future with that diet mentality.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Wazzugirl,

I never used to go to dinner because I was always on a diet and felt during that time I needed to stay out of the restaurants. When I would eventually go out for a birthday celebration etc.- I always felt I needed a drink, appetizer, dinner and dessert. The problem was I would tell myself that "I don't know when I will out again so I need to eat everything I like right now!" I am now more relaxed with IE. I know that this is not the last time I will be going out and I can have some of those things the next time. Also I no longer think about food every minute of the day.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Christy,

There are many times I do not want to stop eating even though I am satisfied. It is because I am finally eating food that tastes so good. I have to keep telling myself that I can have so more later when I get hungry again.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey all,

Did you know that girl from American Idol - lost 30 pounds with IE. She was the one that was the first runner up. She talked about in people magazine. She was bulimic and worked with nutritionist in a program an did IE.

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Carol,

I have avoided many friends and events because of my weight. I have about 80 pounds to loose. I even have not visited my brother and his family in Miami because I do not want them to see me fat. They are very health conscious and one he said to me "do not come down here fat", so I have not seen him in many years. It is so sad that I have let the weight affect my life so much. I get so depressed but coming here helps. I really find strength by communicating with everyone here. We can do this!!!!!

lisainchicago
08-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Sabrina,

I am going to get pizza right now. I have wanted it all day and right now I know I am physically hungry. I plan on drinking a glass of water first and eating the pizza slowly and savoring every bite. Also stopping halfway to decide if I am still hungry. Hopefully I will only eat a couple of slices. If you want pizza - you should have it. That is what IE is about - savoring the food we really want in moderation.

Sevryn
08-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Sabrina,

I am going to get pizza right now. I have wanted it all day and right now I know I am physically hungry. I plan on drinking a glass of water first and eating the pizza slowly and savoring every bite. Also stopping halfway to decide if I am still hungry. Hopefully I will only eat a couple of slices. If you want pizza - you should have it. That is what IE is about - savoring the food we really want in moderation.
Haha, actually I did get it. I ordered a small right after I posted this. I ate til I was satisfied and the rest is for breakfast/lunch tomorrow. Or DH if he wants it. (he works late so he wasn't around to share) :) It's the first time I've ordered pizza in awhile and wasn't overfull afterwards.

Sevryn
08-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I've been looking for IE websites. Here's one I ran across that I don't think has been mentioned. I don't know if it's specifically IE, and I haven't read through his stuff yet, but it looks like it's close.

www.chunktohunk.com

runnin' momma
08-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Idrial, Great job on the eating at the hotel and the exercise!!! It's nice you get a "practice run" before heading home.

Lisa, I read that article about the american idol girl, in fact, it is when I read that article that I realized what my nutritionist had been doing with me. I have to cut down seeing her as our budge allows for electricity or seeing her, and the family wants electricity instead!! (Aren't they selfish??) Luckily she has me off to a good start, I got the book, and I have you guys!!!!

Sabrina, Way to go with the pizza! I think a way for us to be successful is to go into every eating situation with a plan. Once we get over all of the emotional eating and diet mentality issues I don't think we'll have to be so hyper vigiliant.

runnin' momma
08-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Everyone, The first thing we have to do is learn to like ourselves for who we are. I was crying to my nutritionist one day and it just popped out.."I am successful at work, blah, blah, blah, but why can't I just like myself?" I think it is really important that we read the body image chapters. I don't have the whole body image thing under control, but I have taken a few steps: 1. I cleaned out part of (not brave enough to do the whole thing yet) my closet. I threw away clothes that I've had for 5-10 years hoping I could wear them again. 2. I went shopping and bought clothes in my size that are pretty and fit! (No more squeezing into pants and having a stomach ache and red welts at the end of the day) Tight clothes make you focus more on your body all day long because of the discomfort. I took my older sister with me who is big boned and a larger size like me. She has always been a larger size and has such a good outlook! She told me to wait in the dressing room and she just brought me stuff. She said, "Just don't look at the size. It doesn't matter." She had watched Oprah's bra special and even got me to get new bras!! 3. When I look in the mirror and start focusing on the parts that make me unhappy, I make a point to compliment my body as a whole. "I am so lucky to have this body that always me to get around and play with my kids. I have strong legs and I can run." Society tells us we should hate ourselves or that something is wrong with us because we don't look like the girls in the fashion magazines. Ads tell us that we can ONLY be happy if we look a certain way.
Shame on us for buying into it! We seem to forget that these "society" people more than likely have these same issues as we do or are extremely miserable with their own eating disorder. Let us also not forget that being thin will NOT solve all of our problems and make our lives perfect. I have a sister who was very overweight. She got gastric bypass surgery. She is thin now, but she obsesses more about food than ever. She is critical of everyone else and their weight. She is still miserable about work and life. Our joy will not come from the size of our pants. It will come from loving and caring for ourselves. When we learn to love ourselves the changes will come.

carolr3639
08-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Lisa, That's so sad you can't see your brother. I only had one brother and one cousin who is no longer living so I have always been very interested in family things. That's probably why I have 10 kids. Lord willing, we are all getting together in early Sept. My oldest girl will be here from Portland and she has a new baby. You can imagine the bill when we all go out to eat which isn't very often!!

carolr3639
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Nine Seeds That Grow Healthy Eaters

1. Don't make disparaging comments about your child's weight or body size. Parents' comments about their children's weight plays a direct role in the number of times a child tries to diet, their self-esteem, and their concern about weight gain.

2. Don't soothe your child with food. If she's hurt, let her cry, put a Band-Aid on it, or give her a punching bag to work her feelings out on. Just don't give her a cookie! One of the easiest mistakes we make is to teach our kids to equate food with emotion. Food is not love, pride, sadness, or a friend. It is something our bodies need for fuel to keep us healthy and strong.

3. Don't use food as a regular reward. If your children do something good, give them hugs, kisses, and praise, or spend special time with them. Don't however, use a trip to McDonald's or a hot fudge sundae as a regular reward.

4. Don't withold food as a punishment or force your children to eat when they're not hungry. This teaches them not to trust their own bodily cues for hunger and fullness.

5. Do engage in fun physical activity as a family and limit the amount of television your family watches.

6. Do provide structure for your child's eating. eat around the same time each day and provide a well-balanced meal. Let your child determine how much he or she eats.

7. Don't forbid any foods. "Junk food" in moderation is fine. Restricting sweets from your children's diet will only backfire and make them want more, especially as they approach school age and see other children eating candy, cookies, and chips.

8. Do set an example. Kids lean their lifestyles from the people around them, and thinking "do what I say, not what I do" will not get you very far.

9. Don't EVER put your child on a diet unless it is for medical reasions. While most teenagers who diet don't develop an eating disorder, dieting during adolescence is the best predictor of whether any one teenager will subsequently develop a problematic relationship with food. If your child is complaining about feeling "fat," encourage her to become more physically active and to feel better about her body image.

Thought this was an interesting post and didn't want you to miss it.

christy81
08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone! I was so excited to see 3 more pages since I last posted! I love to read these posts. Keep them coming! :)

There is so much info since I have been on here last that I'm not going to be able to comment on what everyone has said, but I wanted to say you are all doing great! Day by day we learn from our successes and our mistakes. Just like when a child learns to walk for the first time, they stumble, fall, and they don't really start fully walking the first day they try it. It's baby steps. We are all learning!

One thing I have noticed in myself the last few days is that I'm no longer preoccupied with food. This is the first time in a long time. It's so freeing!

I hope to come on here more often...this week could possibly be pretty crazy!

lisainchicago
08-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Sabrina,

Good for you in ordering the pizza. I had pizza on Saturday also. Once it was in front of me I realized I just wasn't that hungry. I had one very small piece and went to bed. Sunday had it for lunch when I was actually hungrey with a small salad and it was so so good!!!

lisainchicago
08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Kay,

Good for you for buying new clothes. When we have clothes that actually fit our bodies we look so much better. Over the weekend I was watching an old Oprah episode that I had taped. Some one asked her what was the best advice she received from Mya Angelo. One of the things she mentioned that was that when we are going through a difficult time- we should thank God for the adversity and think about what it is trying to teach us. At that moment I thanked God for being overweight and going through this because I know was I come out of this; I will be so much stronger. I also used to make a comment here and there about people being overweight. Like "if they really wanted to loose weight they could" or "they are not disciplined". Now that I am overweight I see that is not the issue. Going through this have also made me more compassionate to people who are overweight like me. Once I succeed, I hope to be able to help others.

lisainchicago
08-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Carol,

Thanks for the "Nine Seeds That Grow Healthy Eaters". That was really good information.

lisainchicago
08-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey all,

I lost another pound this week. That is about 4.5 pounds in 5 weeks. Slow but I will take it as long as they do not come back. I am also doing Turbo Jam and I am goind to try to do the advanced rotation this week for the first time.

4thefuture
08-14-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure who said it, but I agree that going into every eating situation with a plan is a great idea. Forethought is the best in these situations because it's hard to focus in the heat of things. You wouldn't go into battle without a plan, and we often call this a weight-loss battle.;)
Thanks for the 9 seeds that grow healthy eaters, Carol. It's pretty much what I'm already doing with my daughter. My husband does often use candy as a reward with her, something that I've often asked him not to do. I'll try printing this out and seeing if he'll listen if it came from a source other than me.
Good luck this week, everyone!:hug:

carolr3639
08-14-2006, 03:02 PM
It was to the dentist today. It went well. I don't get anesthetic because it makes me dizzy. But it usually works out well anyway. Really tired today. Had a stressful day yesterday. Eating ok today. Hope to keep it up......sticking with hunger and fullness that is. Enjoyed all your posts.

carolr3639
08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Just a general question. Sometimes when you click on new posts there are only 8 post and sometimes lots more. Why is that? Also does anyone have other friends on here that would be able to contribute to this thread? The only girl I have asked things of is Lily who is on Atkins. She lost over 90 lb while she was taking prednisone. Now that is really something. Thanks.

carolr3639
08-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Forgot to say that I just don't think I could do Atkins again. I have so much trouble with constipation and already take way too much medicine to add stuff for that.

lisainchicago
08-15-2006, 07:16 AM
Carol,

I also tried Atkins a couple of times. I just could not stick with it. I craved potatoes and rice way too much.

4thefuture
08-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Just a general question. Sometimes when you click on new posts there are only 8 post and sometimes lots more. Why is that? Also does anyone have other friends on here that would be able to contribute to this thread? The only girl I have asked things of is Lily who is on Atkins. She lost over 90 lb while she was taking prednisone. Now that is really something. Thanks.

I think that the 8 refers to the number of different people who have posted. For example, if 8 people post 3 times each, then there will be 24 posts, but it will only say 8.

Sevryn
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Also does anyone have other friends on here that would be able to contribute to this thread?
I don't have any friends on here. :( I have told friends on other boards about this board and this thread and IE in general, not sure if they will come over though.

carolr3639
08-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Sabrina, hope some of them will come. 4thefuture (forgot your real name) Thanks for the info about the posts. I noticed your ticker and your goal under your name are not the same. Did you change your mind about that? How did you get to 169? Just wondering. Lisa, a lb a week is 52 lb a year. Doesn't that sound like quite an accomplishment? Carol

carolr3639
08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Forgot to say, Sabrina, if you want to read really good book by a lady who's been there try Slow But Sure by Sandra Dalka Presby. I think you can get it on Amazon for $1. It is soooo interesting. I have written to that lady and she wrote back once. I'd really like to here from her again.

carolr3639
08-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I got over hungry today and really had a hard time getting satisfied after that. Went shopping at Walmart and didn't really feel too hungry but when I finally ate at around 2pm (I had about a 300 calorie breakfast) I was too hungry. Anyone else ever had that problem?

runnin' momma
08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi everyone! I missed a day, but I am back. I made it through the first day of school today and open house tonight! I am sooooo tired, but I wanted to say "hi."
Carol, Getting overly hungry can be a real problem for me. I have done better about avoiding that type of situation because I will just eat and eat to try to find what will satisfy me. I try to pack lots of extra food in my lunch box so that if the need arises, I always have a variety of snacks to choose from. It seems like the more food I bring, the less I actually eat. If I don't bring anything it is like an invitation to binge on whatever I can find. Strange!!

I've feel like I've done really well with IE the last few days. I have noticed that now that I'm not snacking in the evening like I used to that I wake up hungry. I even eat my breakfast before I shower. In the "old days," I might eat if I had time or I might take something with me (and never get to it).

Lisa, Thanks for the comment about the clothes, and I liked what you said about sympathy for others and facing adversity.

Have a good night all! I am heading to bed!!

carolr3639
08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
For a minute there I thought maybe this thread was going to be my journal. Ha! Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep looing back to see how things are going. Kay, I don't let that happen very often......good thing. Good that you dropped in.

Sevryn
08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Has anyone gotten "rebound hungry"? That's the best term I can come up with. Granted, I've only been doing this less than a week now, so maybe it's just me not figuring out my stomach yet. But there's been several times where I'll have eaten, usually dinner, and within 2-3 hours I'm hungry again. Normally I probably would have eaten more and not been hungry, but now that's happening. Am I making any sense? Anyone else have that?

Carol - thanks for the book rec'd I'll have to check that out

Sevryn
08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I just found this article that was published last week on WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/126/116291.htm

'Accept' Body to Fight Eating Disorder

Women Who Accept their Bodies Have Healthy Eating Habits
By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Friday, August 11, 2006

Aug. 11, 2006 -- Teaching women to accept and trust their bodies may be the key to treating eating disorders, Ohio State psychologists find.

Eating disorders are at one end of a continuum, argues researcher Tracy Tylka, PhD. At the other end is what she calls intuitive eating. This means eating the foods your body truly desires, eating to satisfy physical hunger rather than emotional need, and stopping eating when you're sated.

Rather than tell women to avoid the negative habits that lead to eating disorders, Tylka says, it would be better to teach the positive habits that lead to intuitive eating. Intuitive eaters, she has shown, tend to weigh less than women who follow restrictive diets.

True, most intuitive eaters don't end up looking like fashion models. While some achieve their ideal body type at lower weights, others achieve their ideal body type at higher weights. What they have in common is their health.

In two studies presented at this week's annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Tylka and colleagues show that women who come to appreciate their bodies are most likely to be intuitive eaters.

These women are more likely to focus on how their bodies feel and function, and less likely to worry about how their bodies appear to others.

The studies found that women who accept their bodies in this way got a lot of social and family support.

"When women feel that the people in their life accept their body, they don't feel like they need to lose weight or tone up to be worthwhile," Tylka said, in a news release. "That seems to be directly related to eating intuitively."

Tylka and colleagues also found that intuitive eaters have high levels of self-esteem, coping ability, optimism, and the ability to deal with stressful situations.

"By teaching intuitive eating, we can help people learn how to eat adaptively, and not just tell them what not to do and what to avoid," Tylka says.

lisainchicago
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi All -

I will take a pound a week for 52 weeks. I also noticed if I let myself get too hungry, I will overeat. I try to wait about 20 minutes when I first feel hungry to see if it goes away. If I am still hungry after that then I will go ahead and eat. There are times when I eat and get hungry a couple of hours later. When that happens I go ahead and eat a little something - maybe a piece of fruit.

I made a mistake and got on the scale today. It was up like 3-4 pounds. At first I was depressed but I have decided to try and stick with it. I cannot stand the thought of another traditional diet. It may just be me gaining muscle because I have been doing a lot of exercise.

carolr3639
08-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, Sabrina, I have that kind of hunger, too, and it really baffles me. I also get hungry in the night but never get up to eat. But I look back to when I was young and know that weight problem worsened the harder I tried to overcome it especially when I started doing lots of fasting. Between about age 12 and 26 (when I had my 3rd child) I was an IE eater. As a teen I weighed about 5lb under normal ( 5'4" and 115lb ) and never gave a thought to what I ate. There has to be a way to get back to that.

BreakingFree
08-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Has anyone gotten "rebound hungry"? That's the best term I can come up with. Granted, I've only been doing this less than a week now, so maybe it's just me not figuring out my stomach yet. But there's been several times where I'll have eaten, usually dinner, and within 2-3 hours I'm hungry again. Normally I probably would have eaten more and not been hungry, but now that's happening. Am I making any sense? Anyone else have that?

Sabrina - A lot of people, including myself to some extent, plan to eat every three hours because they do get hungry that often, or to prevent themselves from getting too hungry. I generally eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day so I'm obviously eating every few hours! Now that I'm trying to eat mindfully, I'm trying not to go as much by the clock (i.e. sticking with eating every 3 hours) as by when I'm hungry, whether thats 30 minutes after I last ate or 6 hours.

GREAT WebMD article, by the way. Not to be a broken record, but this is what Geneen Roth (who is not a psychologist) has written about in her books for years. I highly recommend them. I'm currently re-reading Feeding the Hungry Heart. And no, I don't get a commission if you buy the books :).

Carol, I do find when I get overly hungry I can't seem to get satisfied by what I eat. I think it's partly because I can't concentrate at that point on what my body really wants, all I can think of is shoving the nearest accessible food in my maw! And it's hard to get satisfied if you're not eating what you really want.

4thefuture
08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Carol, Thanks for noticing that I hadn't updated my profile. I am really good about updating the ticker, but I forget about the profile - go figure. I did change my ultimate goal to be a little more realistic. I figure now I'll go for 125 pounds and reevaluate then.
As far as getting to 169, I think the biggest change that has had the most impact has been getting more exercise in my daily life. I walk to and from the bus stops before and after work which totals 35-45 minutes of walking per day. I also take my daughter for walks as much as I can on the weekends. The fresh outdoor air is good for her and the exercise is good for me. I think we're both benefitting.
As far as eating goes, my biggest change has been to control my portions and eat regularly. I got a food scale and weigh out things that I know I go overboard on, like spaghetti. It shocked me how "small" a serving of spaghetti was! I used to skip breakfast and sometimes even lunch, but now I eat at least a little something for breakfast every morning and try to have a fairly filling lunch. That way I don't overeat at dinner and continue to be hungry until bedtime. I limit the amount of fats and sugar in my diet and I try to stay away from processed foods. I increased the fruits, vegetables, and good fats (like nuts and avocados) that I eat.
I by no means think that I have all the dieting answers, but I think I have really found a plan that works well for me. The most important thing is that it fits well with my lifestyle. The weight is coming off slowly, but it is coming off which is exciting!

carolr3639
08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
You all are going to probably think this sounds silly but I took my exercise bike outside and put it under a tree. You see, I love outdoors but I'm not supposed to be in the sun. This way, in the shade of a big tree, I can enjoy the outdoors and get exercise. My hubby is going to really laugh when he sees this one! I am crazy about fresh tomatoes so I have a really big one for lunch with toast. They sure don't last long..... from Aug. until freeze which can be as early as Oct. I am also making tomato juice today.

carolr3639
08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Forgot to say that we live on a farm on a dead end road so not TOOOO many people will laugh!

BreakingFree
08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
You all are going to probably think this sounds silly but I took my exercise bike outside and put it under a tree. You see, I love outdoors but I'm not supposed to be in the sun. This way, in the shade of a big tree, I can enjoy the outdoors and get exercise.

Ooh, carol, I am so jealous! I wish I could take my elliptical trainer outside. Well, not now - not in the Houston summer heat and humidity. February would be better ;).

Sevryn
08-16-2006, 03:22 PM
You all are going to probably think this sounds silly but I took my exercise bike outside and put it under a tree. You see, I love outdoors but I'm not supposed to be in the sun. This way, in the shade of a big tree, I can enjoy the outdoors and get exercise. My hubby is going to really laugh when he sees this one!
Is it in the front yard? If it's the front, then yeah, I'd have to laugh at you. ;) In the back then it's all good.

I need to pick up some of those other IE books. I wonder if my library has them.

Sevryn
08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Forgot to say that we live on a farm on a dead end road so not TOOOO many people will laugh!
Ohhhhh well then you should be OK. Otherwise you're going to have the neighborhood kids pointing and laughing. LOL You don't want the "don't trick or treat at the crazy lady's house" reputation. :D

runnin' momma
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Okay I am laughing my head off thinking about carol on her bike!!! Are you going to wear bike gear when you ride? heee heee. Sabrina, You are too funny!! Everyone stay away from the crazy lady's house!!!!
I'm glad to see that everyone is in good spirits today!!
Can't stay on long- 3 year old is giving me fits.... Think I'll put him up for sale on Ebay... Wonder how much I'll get???? Okay, maybe that's not a good idea.Guess I'll just have to pray for a little extra patience instead.
Have a good night!!!

lisainchicago
08-17-2006, 07:34 AM
You all are going to probably think this sounds silly but I took my exercise bike outside and put it under a tree. You see, I love outdoors but I'm not supposed to be in the sun. This way, in the shade of a big tree, I can enjoy the outdoors and get exercise. My hubby is going to really laugh when he sees this one! I am crazy about fresh tomatoes so I have a really big one for lunch with toast. They sure don't last long..... from Aug. until freeze which can be as early as Oct. I am also making tomato juice today.

It does not sound silly. It doesn't matter where you excercise as long as you get some in.

lisainchicago
08-17-2006, 07:37 AM
I by no means think that I have all the dieting answers, but I think I have really found a plan that works well for me. The most important thing is that it fits well with my lifestyle. The weight is coming off slowly, but it is coming off which is exciting!

I think that is the key to really find what works for you and your body. I am still experimenting. I hope I can find the right mix soon. I exercise a lot but somedays I still have trouble getting my eating under control

carolr3639
08-17-2006, 09:38 AM
I had one of those "first in a long time" moments last night. I fixed supper and didn't eat. Nobody seemed to mind. There was a lot of cheese in the meal which I don't eat. But the main thing was I was just not hungry. My hubby usually doesn't like it when don't I eat with the family but last night was ok with it. Before I went to bed I had 2ou of orange juice and was fine...not even getting hungry in the night like I sometimes do. Wish I could do that more often. When I was growing up we always ate at 5:30 pm and never ate anything after that. It wasn't a rule or anything that I couldn't have something later......we just never did. I was thin then. Being a veterinarian and a farmer, my dh always wants to eat pretty late......sometimes as late as 10pm....but not often. I think I personally need more of a schedule.

2stubborn2giveup
08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Either the planets were aligned perfectly or Intuitive Eating was starting to kick in - I wasn't hungry for supper yesterday, either. I just picked at the little I had on my plate and realized it was stupid to eat when I wasn't hungry, so I quit. That last sentence is nothing short of amazing for me to say!! I haven't posted on 3FC for a long time because, quite frankly, nothing was working. Then I read the posts about "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch and I couldn't get to Barnes & Noble fast enough. This is exactly what I want; it's how I grew up. Counting fat grams, calories, points, or food groups makes me crazy and I can almost physically and mentally feel the pressure to stay within their guidelines. I'm in my mid-fifties and if I would have eaten intuitively instead of going on one diet after another, the last 30 years would have been a lot easier on me weight-wise. I sincerely hope 3FC starts a forum for Intuitive Eating. carolr3639: You'd be a great moderator!

carolr3639
08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
2stubborn2giveup, I am 57 and feel the same way. All those years of dieting have taken their toll. There is another great book.....short and simple.....called The Overfed Head. That guy lost 140lb in a year and a half on IE. Do you have a shorter name?

christy81
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Carol, you are my hero for not eating dinner because you weren't hungry!! *high five* That's so awesome!!

Ok...I really really really could use some encouragement! I was HIT with some threatening diet stuff. LOL!

1. I read some stuff on the internet criticising eating intuitively.
2. I weighed myself the other day and had gained 2 pounds. :(
3. The juicing/raw foods diet has knocked at my diet door again, telling me that it's the only way to be healthy. (I've dealt with this issue before and it totally set me back and I started dieting again).

HELP!

Sevryn
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
BTW I looked up how we'd get our own forum here, here's what it says:

We've had several requests for more forums recently. At this time, we are not adding anymore forums. In fact, we are downsizing a little. A lot of members have said that our extensive list of forum is somewhat confusing and they would prefer fewer forums to make it easier to use. Therefore, we do not plan to add more forums right now. We may, in the future, add more forums for large groups that have stood the test of time.

Most of our forums support dedicated threads for groups or topics, and that is the best route to take right now.

Sevryn
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone. I ordered a new scale online last weekend and it arrived yesterday. The old one wasn't a high enough capacity. :( Anyway I got home last night and tried it out right away. I was up 11 pounds from what I estimated, which was what I weight in April last time I went to my old doctor who had a higher capacity scale. So that was disappointing. But I reweighed this morning first thing and nekkid ;) and it was only up 9 pounds from April. So I'm counting that as a 2 pound loss. LOL

I've been sticking with IE for the most part. It's not always easy. Part of the problem is that food never starts to taste bland. I over did it at lunch and honestly that last bite of hot dog and fries tasted just as delicious as the first! :) I was also having a bit of the "I paid for it I can't waste it" mentality. It's hard to throw away food, especially tasty food.

seeker315
08-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi everybody. I found this thread just after starting the book. I'm so glad there are others interested in this! When I started the book, I thought, "no way would this work!" But I kept reading, and it made more sense. I never had a weight problem until my late thirties. In the past 7 years, I've gained about 40 pounds. I've gotten on the diet merry-go-round since then. I think I had a major metabolism shift, and am also on meds. which cause one to gain weight, plus I'm marginal for thyroid problems. But this approach seems like it could work. I can't believe the things I've been discovering--that when I take time to assess my fullness, I find I don't need to eat more, or that when I take time to assess my hunger, I find I'm not "really" hungry. Wow. I think this could really make a difference. I'm glad you're all here. If this thread keeps going on, I bet they'll consider making us a forum!

carolr3639
08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Christy, Have you done the juice fasting/raw foods diet before? Well, I've dieted for 30 yr. and it doesn't work. I did a lot of fasting, too, and as I look back, that's when my weight problem escalated. When you think about it God designed our bodies NOT to lose weight because of famines. We have lost touch with our God given cues of hunger and fullnes because of all the dieting. Fasting is part of the Bible but it was not for weight loss.
Sabrina, that's ok about the forum thing. Did you ever notice that Suzanne
3FC responded on the first or 2nd page here? That was encouraging to me.

Sevryn
08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
OMG I ate waaayyyyyy too much at dinner. :( I feel like my stomach is going to burst open. I'm so never doing this again.

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Christy, Have you done the juice fasting/raw foods diet before? Well, I've dieted for 30 yr. and it doesn't work. I did a lot of fasting, too, and as I look back, that's when my weight problem escalated. When you think about it God designed our bodies NOT to lose weight because of famines. We have lost touch with our God given cues of hunger and fullnes because of all the dieting. Fasting is part of the Bible but it was not for weight loss.
Sabrina, that's ok about the forum thing. Did you ever notice that Suzanne
3FC responded on the first or 2nd page here? That was encouraging to me.

Christy - I have never done the juice fasting, but years ago I did slimfast when I only had about 35 pounds to loose. I lost weight fast but my body has never been the same since. I think I lost a lot of muscle becasue after the diet I gained weight so quickly your head would spin and my body has been fatter than ever since. I now have about 90 pounds to loose. Oh how I wish for the days when it was only 35 pounds and everything did not jiggle.

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I had one of those "first in a long time" moments last night. I fixed supper and didn't eat.

Good job on not eating. I have not been so lucky lately. I think I am still having a lot of head hunger. I ate dinner last night even though I was not very hungry. I think i was just more tired and should of just went to bed.:smug:

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:12 AM
OMG I ate waaayyyyyy too much at dinner. :( I feel like my stomach is going to burst open. I'm so never doing this again.

Sometime we need to remember that uncomfortable feeling to know that we never want to feel that way again

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi everybody. I found this thread just after starting the book.

Welcome to our group!! :carrot:

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Either the planets were aligned perfectly or Intuitive Eating was starting to kick in - I wasn't hungry for supper yesterday, either. I just picked at the little I had on my plate and realized it was stupid to eat when I wasn't hungry, so I quit.

Good for you!! Welcome to our group. I love your screen name. That's the same way I feel - I am never going to give until I beat this thing :hug:

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Carol, you are my hero for not eating dinner because you weren't hungry!! *high five* That's so awesome!!

Ok...I really really really could use some encouragement! I was HIT with some threatening diet stuff. LOL!

1. I read some stuff on the internet criticising eating intuitively.
2. I weighed myself the other day and had gained 2 pounds. :(
3. The juicing/raw foods diet has knocked at my diet door again, telling me that it's the only way to be healthy. (I've dealt with this issue before and it totally set me back and I started dieting again).

HELP!

Christy,

Step away from the light!!!!!!

lisainchicago
08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I've been sticking with IE for the most part. It's not always easy. Part of the problem is that food never starts to taste bland. I over did it at lunch and honestly that last bite of hot dog and fries tasted just as delicious as the first! :) I was also having a bit of the "I paid for it I can't waste it" mentality. It's hard to throw away food, especially tasty food.

Sabrina,

This seems to be the one drawback with IE. On a positive note, we can eat whatever we want. The negative side is that it tastes so good I don't want to stop eating it. I also have a hard time throwing away food. I feel like I am throwing away money. I also look at that the medium and the large fries, coke etc. Many times the price is not that much more. We have to just work on it, it will get better. We can do this! Yesterday is gone and today is a new day. We cannot get rid of all of our habits overnight.

I have not been that good with eating but have been great with working out with the Turbo Jam DVDs. I look at this as a positive.

runnin' momma
08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi ladies! Eating was fine today until my sister's husband called and asked me to come to their house and be there when my sister got home from work because her french bulldog died today. After seeing her crushed I lost my appetite. Then we got home and I ate a few pieces of french bread, some chips, and 3 tootsie pops. I know I'm eating to numb the pain, but I don't know what else to do. My sister kept looking at me and her husband asking us if we were kidding, etc. She started shaking and stuff. She doesn't have kids and her 3 dogs are her babies. Toby was only 5 years old. I guess I haven't eaten the whole house, but mostly I am disappointed that I know I'm not so hungry but I can't think of any other way to cope right now. I am going to quit eating now. I should have just come here an vented in the first place. New strategy: Vent first when stressed out to get a level head!!!!!

2stubborn2giveup
08-18-2006, 11:11 PM
runnin' momma: I'm sorry about your sister's dog. Our cat is a member of our family and it would break my heart to lose her. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me when instant stress hits, our old coping mechanisms return with a vengeance. We're not intuitive eaters yet. I know I'm taking baby steps and I count small victories: Not eating an hour after breakfast, not having fries with a sandwich for lunch, not eating while I'm washing dishes, and scaling back from what I usually ate. A few pieces of french bread, some chips and three Tootsie Pops? In my book, you handled it pretty well; it could have been worse. You stopped the process! That's a victory! Intuitive eating is going to take time and I'm not going to beat myself up anymore. I'm going to count my small victories.

carolr3639
08-19-2006, 12:55 AM
My mom passed away today and it has been a sad day for me even though I know she is in heaven.

Sevryn
08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
My mom passed away today and it has been a sad day for me even though I know she is in heaven.

:( :hug:

I'm sorry about your mom. I lost my mom too about 11 years ago.

christy81
08-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Carol, I'm very sorry about your loss. You are in my prayers!!

fiddler
08-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm so sorry, Carol. I lost my Grandma last year. She was like a mother to me and I miss her terribly. My thoughts are with you.

runnin' momma
08-19-2006, 05:54 PM
2stubborn, Thanks for the support and reminder that we are still toddlers in this process.
Carol, I am so sorry. As the other ladies have said, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please lean on us as you need to.

2stubborn2giveup
08-19-2006, 09:24 PM
carolr3639: I'm sorry about your Mom. My Mom died 18 years ago and my mind can still replay the time from when the call came from the hospital to when we cleaned out her apartment - and I was the last one out. I've got to sign off now; my eyes are getting misty. We're here for you.

jasmineben
08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
i have been reading about intuitive eating and am very interested. my body, however, is very sensitive to carbs. i am diabetic. i tried to begin "legalizing" certain foods and it was not very pretty.:p my dr and i have worked a way so that i have more flexibility, however, i do need to lose weight for my health. i feel awful after i binge on carbs. have any of you combined ie with a particular food plan. maybe using the plan as a guideline, but not being rigid. i read in "diets don't work" that a woman did ie with ww, using ww as baseline, allowing for different foods some times. thanks in advance for your assisstance.:D

Sevryn
08-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey all. I wanted to put a book list together in one place for my own reference and figured I'd share. These are books that have been mentioned here in this thread or elsewhere that I've found. Let me know about others and I'll add to the list.

Book List
Breaking out of Food Jail (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684811936/sr=1-1/qid=1156088303/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8&s=books) by Jean Antonello
Diets Don't Work (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0942540166/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8) by Bob Schwartz
Diets Still Don't Work (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0942540042/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8) by Bob Schwartz
Intuitive Eating (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312321236/sr=1-1/qid=1156088341/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8&s=books) by Evelyn Tribole, Elyse Resch
The Overfed Head (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974654205/sr=1-1/qid=1156088264/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8&s=books) by Rob Stevens
The Seven Secrets of Slim People (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061013382/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-1546218-5459843?ie=UTF8) by Vikki Hansen, Shawn Goodman

carolr3639
08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. My mom died in my home, even though the rescue squad was called. She went quickly with a heart attach. I find it interesting that when under heavy sorrow, food just doesn't taste good even though I am eating. I suppose this is natural. Jasmine, I think there are health issues that all of us will have sometime in life that will effect our eating. I have sarcoidosis, a lung disease, that causes high blood calcium so I can't have anything with calcium in it, although my dr. did say that there is some in everything, just to be as careful as possible. Maybe your situation is similar in that your body cannot handle certain food. Just a thought.

lisainchicago
08-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Carol, I am so sorry for your loss.

BreakingFree
08-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Carol -

My condolences on the loss of your mother.

carolr3639
08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Still no enjoyment of food. I eat and my hunger goes away and that's about it. I suppose it will take time to get back to normal. Another bump in the road. How is everyone doing with IE?

carolr3639
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Lisa, What is turbo jam?

lisainchicago
08-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Lisa, What is turbo jam?

Turbo Jam is a kick boxing program similar to Tae Bo but a lot more fun. You can order the DVDs from beachbody.com or QVC. The instructor Chalene makes it fun and exciting - not as structured as Tae Bo. You even dance sometimes. They always show the low impact moves and really anybody can do it. The first set of tapes are about 20 minutes long each. There are other more advanced ones. I have them all and I am currently doing the advanced rotation where I work out 45 - 60 minutes a day, usually using two different dvds. There is also a Turbo Jam thread on 3fatchicks under fitness videos.

I am currently doing a 10 day challenge and have worked out 7 of the last 8 days. Eating has not been great. I have not lost any more weight yet. I am really getting fustrated. I am trying to stay off the scale this week as I am near that TOM. When I finish the challenge I would have worked out 9 out of 10 days. That will be an accomplishment as I have never worked out so consistently. I just wish the pounds will fly off. I think I need to look at the type of foods I am eating and try to cut down on some of the junk.

How is everyone else doing with IE? Anyone loosing?

carolr3639
08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I did my exercises first thing this morning and today seems a little better. My son from Detroit brought my grandson to cheer me up and it worked. Eating has been good due to lack of enjoyment, I think. I started to read Rob Stevens book again. Wish Linda would come back to tell us how it is going on Thintuition. I have lost about 5lb. I wonder if I shouldn't weigh every day. Thanks again for all your condolences.

carolr3639
08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Just finished cutting up about 100lb of tomatoes for juice. Now I will cook them for a few hours and then run them through the food mill. Should make about 21 qt....just guessing. I have a big bag of beans to work on, too. But I'm sure we will enjoy them this winter. The kids like them, too. Most of them live in apts and don't have gardens. There is nothing like a fresh tomato. I have one big one with toast for lunch. Better get something ready for supper with all the company that will be here. Good to keep busy at a time like this.

lisainchicago
08-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Worked out last night. Eating was better. Need to say off the scale TOM. Hoped on it today and got depressed.

carolr3639
08-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I ate supper last night not very hungry but only ate a little and think no damage was done. We had a lot of company due to my mom's death and just didn't feel like not sitting there with them without eating a little. I had drank some soy milk while canning the tomatoes because I was so tired. It helped but it cut my appetite. Worked out ok in the end. If anyone reading here is wonderiing if IE is worth it read Rob Stevens book The Overfed Head. It is short simple, and the guy lost 140 lb in a year and a half. There are lots of other good books on IE. Even Gwen's Shamblin's Weigh Down Diet is based on IE though she has been in hot water about her Biblical doctrine.

carolr3639
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Has anyone ever heard of The Diet Survivors Handbook by a couple of sisters who are therapists? This is not to be confused with the diet survivors web site. Just wonder if it is worth reading.

carolr3639
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Guess I'll post here everyday to see if anyone joins back in. My mom's memorial is this evening. My brother from AR will be here soon. He's a lawyer. What a blessing! He takes care of all the legal things. Still not very hungry and that's probably a good thing. Still eating though, just not enjoying it much. My 5lb is staying off so far. Guess that's always been the problem. Last year I lost 30lb due to illness but regained it quickly when I started taking prednisone.

lisainchicago
08-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Has anyone ever heard of The Diet Survivors Handbook by a couple of sisters who are therapists? This is not to be confused with the diet survivors web site. Just wonder if it is worth reading.

I have note read this. Do you know if it is based on IE principles?

lisainchicago
08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Guess I'll post here everyday to see if anyone joins back in. My mom's memorial is this evening. My brother from AR will be here soon. He's a lawyer. What a blessing! He takes care of all the legal things. Still not very hungry and that's probably a good thing. Still eating though, just not enjoying it much. My 5lb is staying off so far. Guess that's always been the problem. Last year I lost 30lb due to illness but regained it quickly when I started taking prednisone.

Carol,

Don't leave I am still here. Even if it is just the two of us we can support each other. Just take things one day at a time. My brother died in 2002 and I still sometimes have bad days. This week is my TOM and I have been eating everything in site and eating way past full. Hopefully I can get back on track. Craving all things sweet and fast food. This will pass I know. I am not going to feel bad about. I am just going to go with the flow and get back on track next week. Still working out. Only missed 2 days in the 9.

fiddler
08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
How is everyone else doing with IE? Anyone loosing?

Yes, I have been losing a lot. Three jeans sizes in under 2 months. I hope it continues to come off this easily.

Ruthxxx
08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Carol and Lisa. Keep on truckin'. I finally got the book - things are slow up here in the Great White North. :lol: Haven't had a chance to skim it yet but it's on my ToDo list. I've been off on a Ruthie Road trip to Indiana and just got back - via Chicago, Lisa. What an airport!

I'm a lot older than you two and know just how much it affects one when a parent or sibling dies.

Ruthxxx
08-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Fiddler, that IS impressive! :woo:

christy81
08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Carol, I'm here too! Sometimes I don't post as much depending on how others are posting and if I feel I have something to add.

I was struggling for a little while there. I was eating a lot of fried/greasy food and it was making me feel yucky. Plus I wasn't getting enough sleep. So those 2 things combined made me feel pretty rotten. I was hit with the diet thoughts again and I feel like I've rejected them and I'm doing well with it today (not thinking about diets). I wish I would have never EVER started dieting or "watching" what I ate. Just the other day I was telling some of my college-age friends to not diet. We talked about it for awhile and they thanked me for the encouragement.

I just got The Overfed Head from the library today. I also started reading When Food Is Love by Geneen Roth. I have really been enjoying the book. I have learned a lot about myself and it's just real interesting to me. If I would have ever gotten a degree, it probably would have been in Psychology, so I'm super interested in all of that stuff. I have really enjoyed helping the people around me.

I hope everyone is doing wonderful!

runnin' momma
08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi ladies, I am still here. I just typed a long post and the computer ate it. I am ticked off!!!

runnin' momma
08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Carol, It has been hard to post because my weight issues seem quite insignificant when compared to your loss. I am sorry that I didn't post because I am sure the lack of messages would also be quite lonely. It sound like you are doing a little better, and I am glad.

runnin' momma
08-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I just wanted to tell you guys that I am really proud of my eating. I really see my growth when we go out to eat and I don't even eat half my meal and I can push it away without remorse. That is a huge step!
This week is my TOM also. I did not crave any sweets until today and then I went on a crazy shopping binge. Don't faint when you read what I bought. My mind is still a binger even if my body isn't. ---Box of 12 ice cream bars, bag of tootsie pops, 1/2 pound symphony bar, 3 10-packs of mini candy bars (with the excuse that they are for my prize box at school, knowing full well I could indulge on them), box of fruit snacks (for son- wink, wink). I have not bought such a massive quantity of pure sugar in at least 4 months. Now... what did I eat???? 2 ice cream bars. Tempted for more??? Nope. Did buying all of that junk food make me feel better? No. I have done so much better with my binge buying. I guess the fatigue, stress, and hormones made me weaker. Since I have been doing IE my spending on all things has really dropped. Now when I am tempted to go shopping, I ask myself, "Do I really need to buy that?" Most of the time I realize that I am going shopping because I am bored.
My biggest issue lately is that I am so tired that I don't feel like exercising. I went running once this week, and not at all last week. I am afraid that my drive to exercise will never come back. It is scaring me. We are supposed to be running a marathon in 2.5 months and I am afraid that I won't be ready. Help!!

lisainchicago
08-25-2006, 07:55 AM
IThis week is my TOM also. I did not crave any sweets until today and then I went on a crazy shopping binge. Don't faint when you read what I bought. My mind is still a binger even if my body isn't. ---Box of 12 ice cream bars, bag of tootsie pops, 1/2 pound symphony bar, 3 10-packs of mini candy bars (with the excuse that they are for my prize box at school, knowing full well I could indulge on them), box of fruit snacks (for son- wink, wink). I have not bought such a massive quantity of pure sugar in at least 4 months. Now... what did I eat???? 2 ice cream bars. Tempted for more??? Nope. Did buying all of that junk food make me feel better? No. I have done so much better with my binge buying. I guess the fatigue, stress, and hormones made me weaker. Since I have been doing IE my spending on all things has really dropped. Now when I am tempted to go shopping, I ask myself, "Do I really need to buy that?" Most of the time I realize that I am going shopping because I am bored.
My biggest issue lately is that I am so tired that I don't feel like exercising. I went running once this week, and not at all last week. I am afraid that my drive to exercise will never come back. It is scaring me. We are supposed to be running a marathon in 2.5 months and I am afraid that I won't be ready. Help!!

Kay,

When it is my TOM I often go out and get a lot of junk. Many times by the time I get home I no longer want it. So it sounds like we are making progress. As far as exercise, that is harder. Instead of running, why not speed walk a couple of days and build back up. Have you ever run a marathon before? It sounds so cool. I could never run, I tried it before and I was not good at it. My shins hurt really bad and I hated it. I do not think I can run longer than 45 seconds so my hat is off to you!

You can do! You can do it!! :carrot:

lisainchicago
08-25-2006, 08:03 AM
[COLOR="Purple"]Carol, I'm here too! Sometimes I don't post as much depending on how others are posting and if I feel I have something to add.

I was struggling for a little while there. I was eating a lot of fried/greasy food and it was making me feel yucky. Plus I wasn't getting enough sleep. So those 2 things combined made me feel pretty rotten. I was hit with the diet thoughts again and I feel like I've rejected them and I'm doing well with it today (not thinking about diets). I wish I would have never EVER started dieting or "watching" what I ate. Just the other day I was telling some of my college-age friends to not diet. We talked about it for awhile and they thanked me for the encouragement.

COLOR]

Christy,

I love anything fried. This has always been a problem for me. I tried the oven fried stuff but is not the same. I think if I can stay away from the fried greasy stuff so often I can be more successful.

carolr3639
08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I was so happy to see all the posts I amost cried. I didn't have a very good day yesterday........ a lot of kids and grandkids are here for the memorial last night so there was a lot of cooking to do. Then there was a lunch after the service and it was my brother's birthday so when we got home we had homemade ice cream and cake. When I did eat it was only small portions so maybe not too much damage was done. I have been so tired and down that I haven't exercised much either. My brother and I have never been very close and I want that to change. He is 5 yr older than I but he is my last living family member. My mom was an only child and my dad had one sister who had one child. They are all gone now.

carolr3639
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Lisa, forgot to say that I think the book sounds like IE but don't know much else about it.

runnin' momma
08-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Lisa, That's a good idea about walking. I don't know why I am always all one way or nothing at all. I have run 5 marathons and 1 half marathon. I'm not the fastest runner in the pack by any means, but it is a strange wonderful sense of accomplishment. After I ran my first one I said, "Never again" By the next day I was planning my second. I used to have shin problems, but then I went to a running store and ran on the treadmill. They found the perfect shoes for a heavier girl with flat feet :) Now they never or rarely hurt.

runnin' momma
08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Carol, I hope you and your brother can be closer. I have 3 sisters and it would kill me if we weren't friends or close. I am always amazed to hear how many people you are always taking care of. I just hope you make sure to take care of yourself too!

christy81
08-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Carol, I have a brother who is 3 years younger than me. We used to be real close, but since he met his wife things have been different. (And wouldn't you know that "I" was the one who set them up?) It's been the hardest thing for me to deal with lately. Not that I have all of these things, but this has been very hard on me. I hope you and your brother become close.

I'm so glad to see more posts too! It makes me happy!

Some more "health eating" stuff hit me today. I don't know...I have to think about it. I do want to be healthy, but sometimes I wonder what "true" health is anyway. ???

Oh...I feel bloated right now...I ate way too much for dinner, then I had ice cream after that. Maybe if I would have just had the soup and not the ice cream. What's done is done.

Exercise hasn't been very consistent for me these last 2 weeks. I have been sticking with strength training, but not the cardio.

carolr3639
08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Is that a 26 mi. marathon you are talking about, Kay? I, too, have had foot troubles off and on and think it's probably my weight. My daugher-in-law has a lot of trouble, too, and she used to be a runner and is still a PE teacher and coach. She has been to a foot specialist and still has pain. What kind of a shoe store is that? Eating has been fairly ok. I read Rob Stevens book over and over for inspiration. I know it takes time to see the weight come off permanently but......hey......I've been waiting for this for 30yr. Glad to see everyone posting today. Christy, have you read the book The Overfed Head? He sure answers a lot of questions that I think other IE authors miss or don't answer sufficiently.

fiddler
08-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Ruthxxx: Thanks! I didn't find out that what I was doing was called "intuitive eating" until later. My "diet" or "lifechange" or whatever-you-want-to-call-it plan evolved out of a lot of soul searching about what it was about diets that kept making me even fatter than when I started. But intuitive eating is a big part of it.

Carol: I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there. :hug:

Sevryn
08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey all. I picked up Intuitive Eating and Diets Don't Work on Friday.

I've been doing pretty good. I don't think there's been any days where I ate when not hungry in the last week. It was TOM though so I don't know if the scale will go down or not. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

christy81
08-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Carol, I just started reading The Overfed Head. It's very interesting to me so far! Thanks!

I just woke up and what I want for breakfast is a chocolate chip cookie. My mind tells me, "you cannot have that cookie! It is not healthy!" But I WANT that cookie! I will probably eat that cookie, in fact, I may even eat 2 cookies! I want to banish those diet thoughts forever!!!

carolr3639
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Sabrina, Christy, and Fiddler, I enjoyed reading your posts. I think The Overfed Head is the most concise book I have read on IE and I read a lot. Fiddler, Can you give us a typical day of how your eating goes? I know we are all idividual but it just kinda helps see how others are working this out. Thanks. I've been sicking with IE pretty good. I have no desire to get caught up in diets or even exercise for weight loss. I exercise nearly ever day to feel better but I know for weight loss it doesn't always work. I used to walk 6mi a day and not lose weight.

runnin' momma
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi all!
I got up and ran 5 miles in the rain this morning. It finally rained in Texas! The heat has been killing us for what seems like forever! I finally told my husband how I was feeling about exercising and somehow just venting to him helped me get over my hang ups. I wrote out my workout schedule for the next eleven weeks to get ready for the San Antonio marathon. (Yep, that's 26.2 miles)
Carol, I think it might be interesting to see how everyone is eating. Does everyone think that might be ok? I don't know if that will get us into diet thinking, but with IE, while nothing is restricted, the longer I go the better food choices I am making.
This was my day
Breakfast- shredded wheat cereal
Snack- grapes
Lunch- turkey breast and swiss cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, baked lays, carrots, little cup of pears
Dinner- 2 tacos (made at home on flour tortillas with chedder cheese and lettuce)
dessert- 1 ice cream bar
We made this video at school to show new teachers how to conduct special ed. meetings. We watched it at our faculty meeting today and it really upset me because I look so heavy. When I look in the mirror I don't think I look that bad. I feel sort of down now, and when I got home I started diet thinking. I am going to brush it off, but I was just so embarrassed looking at myself!

carolr3639
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh, Kay, I feel for you. I get that way sometimes, too, especially when I see pictures. Last summer, when I was sick, I was 30lb thinner and looked good for the first time in 20yr. Then I took prednisone and gained it all back. But I have been really positive lately because I have been feeling much better and losing a little. Keep up the good work. I don't know how you do the running thing. I have never run much more than a mile in my life!!!
Breakfast soy milk
Lunch hamburger, fries, tea, m&ms, sip of daughters latte
Supper stir fry , rice, cantalope, bread

Sevryn
08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Hey all! I'm down 5lbs this week!!!

OK you wanna know what I ate today... It isn't great. Baby steps.

Breakfast: Plain Bagel w/ Cream Cheese
Lunch: Slice of deep dish pizza and an Oatmeal Creme Pie
Snack: Fat free Banana Nut Muffin
Dinner: Bologna Sandwhich and another Oatmeal Creme Pie (way to mix it up!)

Normally I have a little larger dinner but we were at the Verizon store kinda late so I just got something quick.

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
I used to have shin problems, but then I went to a running store and ran on the treadmill. They found the perfect shoes for a heavier girl with flat feet :) Now they never or rarely hurt.

Hey, I am a heavy girl with flat feet. What are the brand and name of running shoes you use? Maybe I can try a pair.

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Exercise hasn't been very consistent for me these last 2 weeks. I have been sticking with strength training, but not the cardio.

Christy,

I started off doing good with exercise now I think I am worn out. Only worked out about 3 days last week. I am trying to get back in the groove this week. Eating - some good days- some bad days. I have been making better choices this week so I guess that is a positive thing.

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey all. I picked up Intuitive Eating and Diets Don't Work on Friday.

I've been doing pretty good. I don't think there's been any days where I ate when not hungry in the last week. It was TOM though so I don't know if the scale will go down or not. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Good Job Sabrina:carrot: :carrot: You inspire me.

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Oh, Kay, I feel for you. I get that way sometimes, too, especially when I see pictures. Last summer, when I was sick, I was 30lb thinner and looked good for the first time in 20yr. Then I took prednisone and gained it all back. But I have been really positive lately because I have been feeling much better and losing a little. Keep up the good work. I don't know how you do the running thing. I have never run much more than a mile in my life!!!
Breakfast soy milk
Lunch hamburger, fries, tea, m&ms, sip of daughters latte
Supper stir fry , rice, cantalope, bread

I hate taking pictures. I look really fat in all of them.
Breakfast - one egg, sausage patty
Lunch - Shrimp stir fry with rice
Dinner - catfish, salad, pasta, lemonade
Snacks - cantalope, watermelon

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Carol, I just started reading The Overfed Head. It's very interesting to me so far! Thanks!

I just woke up and what I want for breakfast is a chocolate chip cookie. My mind tells me, "you cannot have that cookie! It is not healthy!" But I WANT that cookie! I will probably eat that cookie, in fact, I may even eat 2 cookies! I want to banish those diet thoughts forever!!!

Christy,
Have those 2 cookies and enjoy every bite of them!

lisainchicago
08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey all! I'm down 5lbs this week!!!

Sabrina - way to go!! Down 5 pounds. Do the happy dance! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

carolr3639
08-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Lisa, I just got some NIKEs on sale. I'll let you know how they work out. They feel pretty good right now. Sabrina, Great news on the 5lb!!!!!!!! Seems one day I'm feeling great and the next day fat even though I lost 5lb a week ago, I haven't lost anymore since.

fiddler
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Fiddler, Can you give us a typical day of how your eating goes? I know we are all idividual but it just kinda helps see how others are working this out.

A typical weekday for me would be:

Breakfast: Fruit & cheese
Lunch: Chile verde, refried beans, brown Mexican rice (all homecooked)
Dinner: Thai Hot & Sour soup with shrimp (Tom Yum Khoong)
Snacks: Fruit, whenever I am hungry
Beverages: Water with lemon, black & green tea

Weekends would be pretty much the same, except I often skip a meal or two on weekends because I'm too busy to eat. My only hard and fast rule about what I can't eat is that I won't eat any low-fat, low-carb, etc. substitute for a food. I always use the real, "high octane" version. I also don't eat many processed foods; I mostly cook everything from scratch then freeze it in single serving portions. I don't drink sodas either, not even diet ones. But that's just because I don't like them anymore. Same with junk food. Most of it doesn't appeal to me. Gourmet food is another matter, lol. Big Macs and fried chicken do nothing for me, but I had an absolutely fabulous carpaccio from an Italian place around here a few days ago, and I'm still savoring the taste of it. Fortunately, most gourmet food is a LOT healthier than fast food. Unfortunately, however, my pocketbook can't support going to gourmet restaurants very often, so I had to learn to cook it myself.

I also do circuit training 4 times a week and walk 10 miles a week.

runnin' momma
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Lisa,
I wear Brooks Ariels. I have worn them for almost four years now. I just call the running store when I need new shoes to make sure they have them in stock and go get them. I tried to change to a pair of asics once and the pain began right away. Brooks is just the shoe for me. My dh on the other hand wears New Balance. He isn't heavy, but he has wide feet. They have worked really well for him.

runnin' momma
08-29-2006, 10:58 PM
FIddler,
I am with you about food. My family is not the fast food type. We like a really nice sit down meal- and yes, that is not good for the pocket book. We have had to limit our dining out to stay on budget. We would rather eat out at two nice restaurants a month than have mcdonalds every day. One of the biggest things I have done since shedding the diet mentality is to really try to vary the types of food I am eating. I do get into a rut for lunch- sandwich etc. but I plan the evening meals each week so that I look forward to eating at home. My 10 year old make a lot of comments about how happy he is that we don't eat frozen dinners anymore!

runnin' momma
08-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Food for today
Breakfast- Shredded wheat
Lunch- turkey breast and swiss on whole wheat, tator tots, carrots
Dinner- Homemade chicken and noodles with dumplings, 2 ice cream bars
I ran 8 miles tonight. It felt good. I decided that I am going to weigh once a month. I am going to weigh tomorrow.... I think. I'll let you know how it goes!

carolr3639
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I was wondering about varying foods. I have a bad habit of eating the same thing over and over. I love fresh tomatoes so have been eating them every day but lately my stomach has been aching and I wonder if I'm eating too many tomatoes. I have soy milk every morning because I love milk but can't have calcium. I flavor it a little. It has 9gm protein and 4gm fiber. I really need the fiber. I lost another lb so am happy about that. I wonder though beause over a few months time it might not keep coming off consistently. That't the way it has been in the past.... up and down.

fiddler
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
FIddler,
I am with you about food. My family is not the fast food type. We like a really nice sit down meal- and yes, that is not good for the pocket book. We have had to limit our dining out to stay on budget. We would rather eat out at two nice restaurants a month than have mcdonalds every day. One of the biggest things I have done since shedding the diet mentality is to really try to vary the types of food I am eating. I do get into a rut for lunch- sandwich etc. but I plan the evening meals each week so that I look forward to eating at home. My 10 year old make a lot of comments about how happy he is that we don't eat frozen dinners anymore!

I applaud you for feeding your child real food. I look at what some of my friends feed their children and just cringe. Not only because they are being malnourished, but because they are being trained that the junk they're eating is real food.

People don't seem to realize how easily you can re-train your palate to like drastically different food. I had a boyfriend several years ago who was really hooked on fast food. After eating at my house several times a weeks for a few months, he told me that he had recently bought what used to be his favorite kind of fast food burrito, and it didn't taste good to him anymore. He jokingly told me that I had ruined fast food for him forever by getting him used to real food. :D

fiddler
08-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I was wondering about varying foods. I have a bad habit of eating the same thing over and over. I love fresh tomatoes so have been eating them every day but lately my stomach has been aching and I wonder if I'm eating too many tomatoes. I have soy milk every morning because I love milk but can't have calcium. I flavor it a little. It has 9gm protein and 4gm fiber. I really need the fiber. I lost another lb so am happy about that. I wonder though beause over a few months time it might not keep coming off consistently. That't the way it has been in the past.... up and down.

Carol,

I believe in general it is wise to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible.

Overexposure to the same food over time can trigger a food allergy or food intolerance. I have seen this happen with my own mother. Like you, she eats a very small variety of foods. Her doctor has tested her for food allergies, and she is showing signs of becoming allergic to almost all the foods she normally eats. So one by one she cuts them out of her diet, leaving her an even smaller subset of foods to choose from, which of course exacerbates the problem. I think the only foods left that she feels she can still eat are beef and leafy greens.

I also believe from my own experience that eating a wide variety of foods assists in weight loss. I eat a wider variety of foods than anyone else I know. My pantry is stocked with ingredients that a lot of people have never even heard of. I know that in my own case, I usually don't have any kind of food cravings to deal with as long as my diet is varied enough.

Obsidianbbw
08-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I came across this thread while looking through todays posts and think it is the greats thing since sliced bread.

I have a habit of starting a new diet plan and after a few days I am craving whatever it is I can't have, and usually at the same time being crushed that the scale isn't moving or is moving in the wrong direction.

So Sunday, I decided I would just watch what I eat, eat smaller and try and make better choices and break some old habits.

So I've noticed little things that I have an instant need to eat when I get home. I won't call it hunger. Since I knew I was going to want to eat something when I got home i would stop at the local fried chicken spot and pick up something, or whatever fast food spot was open. On saturday I went food shopping and now I have a small snack and a quarter of a glass of juice or a full glass of water.

I have another need to eat when I get to work. I think it is just the habit of eating a meal before i start work. So I eat when I get to work, but moderatly and try to make sure I include vegetable and healty stuff.

I also have a bad habit of wanting to eat on the way home from my parents or grandmothers (they live across the street from each other)
I managed not to get the snack I usually get on the way home from grandmas house. I am realizing there are certain things that I am just used to doing....One is grabbing something while I am in the car...as if it doesn't count while I am in the car.

Since i haven't limited what I can eat I tend to eat what I am supposed to. I tend to go low carb, but today I wanted some pasta. I had a little pasta with some broccli rather than 3 servings worth and I seem ok.

Anyway.....Just want to say Hi.....will read through more of the posts.

carolr3639
08-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Welcome, Obsidianbow. I think you would enjoy reading The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. It is short, to the point and full of encouragement. Fiddler, I'm with you on home cooked food. I have 10 kids and live 30 mi from any fast food place. I have a big garden but only 1 kid at home so I need to cut back one of these years. Today I put up 16qt of tomatoes and 14 of beans. I usually do 100 of both except for last summer when I was ill. Most of my kids don't have gardens yet so they enjoy the produce. I think we did 90 qt of corn (frozen). The corn is put in the ground by machine. It fills the whole east side of the garden. We had good strawberries this year, too. But after cooking all these years (been married 37 yr.) I sometimes wish someone would just tell me what to fix!!!

fiddler
08-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Carol, I envy your garden!

I've put in an herb garden, an orchard, a vineyard, and a chicken coop, but I haven't gotten around to doing the vegetable garden yet. :(

I guess I should feel lucky I have a job, but sometimes working fulltime makes it tough to get anything done, lol.

runnin' momma
08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi ladies,
Tonight was my first night of graduate school and I was so nervous. The minute class was over I wanted to go somewhere and get something to eat to comfort myself. I decided to just go on home since I knew I wasn't really hungry in such a way that I needed to go binge. I went home and fixed a couple of eggs and a piece of sausage and put it in a tortilla. It was a perfect dinner. Yeah!!! It used to be a losing battle fighting my mind when I was tempted to just fill myself up. The urge tonight was much more of a passing thought than an all out war that I used to have. Baby steps! :)

Obsidianbbw
08-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Congrats on the baby step Runnin' mama....one at a time ;-)

Well I am going to eat out with a few women from work and the problem I have is whenever I am trying to eat better and I eat out it is pretty much a recipe for failure so my goal this afternoon is to eat until I am not hungry and not anything I don't want. I also have clean plat syndrome...blah. Hope everyone else has a good day.

carolr3639
08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Years ago, when I had a garden and lots of little kids. I also had a LOT of weeds. But the vegetables always seemed to make it. Now I have a tiller so do better but by this time of year I just get tired of weeding. Fiddler, got any good recipes for eggplant? Great job Kay. How did the dinner go, Obsidianbbw (got your name wrong the last time, sorry)?