Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #1  
<333

S/C/G: 283/251/180

Height: 5' 4

Unhappy No Size Change??!?!?!?!?!?

UGH. Ive lost 25 pds. And I wear a 24. So, I thought I wouldve dropped a size. But NO. I cant squeeze into a 22. And It makes me wonder, WHY CANT I FIT INTO A SMALLER PAIR OF JEANS! Im getting really discouraged and wish I could know why I cant fit into a smaller pair of jeans. Its not like I lost 10 pds, I lost 25! I thought that would make a difference. Why not?
Stephanieee<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yep. I had that happen too. As you lost weight sizes will come off more quickly, but at high weights, it takes longer!

Someone used this analogy and it works well (anyone want to take credit? ) Think of a roll of paper towels. When the roll is full and you remove 5 sheets, the roll looks pretty much the same in size. When the roll gets only half full and you remove 5 sheets, you will have made a bigger dent in the size of the roll. And when the roll is closer to empty and you remove 5 sheets it will drastically change in size!

When I started out at 295, losing 20 pounds wasn't actually much -- it was less than 7% of my body weight and it took me a while to see a change in sizes (close to 30 pounds I think!). But now that I weigh just under 200, 20 pounds would be just about 10% of my body weight, and I will probably be more likely to notice a difference in my clothes.

I don't know if that helps, but all to say, hang in that! Losing 25 pounds is a MAJOR accomplishment, and if you keep at it, you'll be buying 20s (or smaller) someday!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure sizes are a real good indicator. Unless you're trying on exactly the same garment in two different sizes. Ya know Joe's Brand model 41058hr ... er somethin' like that.
Right now I have everything from a 2 to a 10. Does that mean I've gone from a 14 to a 2 .... or only a 14 to a 10????

Disappointing as this may seem to you right now .... Lady you've done good work! 25 lbs!!!! Soon enough all the 20's will be a thing of the past. Maybe even all the double digits
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I know that with me, the weight is coming off from the top down. With the first 25 lbs, I lost more proportionally in my face, neck, shoulders, chest, etc than I did in my stomach/hips, and thighs. My shirt size changed and is still changing quicker than my pants size.

Maybe something similar is happening to you. Just don't get discouraged. It will happen!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I agree sizes don't make any sense at all! I have 12's and 14's that fit now and some 10's are getting close. It depends on the cut and the brand.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #6  

I love that analogy of the paper towels.

I feel your pain about the size thing but reading the many posts here has made me really aware of just what Susan B said two people can way the same exact amount and one way a 24 and the other an 18 Guess part of it is the fat to muscle ratio the way we carry the weight.

You are to be commended for the 25 pounds Keep Going! Hope to join you
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

Stephanie, if you haven't done so already, get a tape measure and take some measurements! Waist, hips, abdomen, chest, upper arm, neck, thigh, calf, etc.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
I'm not sure sizes are a real good indicator. Unless you're trying on exactly the same garment in two different sizes.
Even that is not enough.. the size 16 shorts in my closet are a whole lot smaller than fresh ones on the rack in the stores.. same brand same everything. The dryer did some of it.. I wonder about the manufacturers too... over time..
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I always think of a similar analogy about a tree made of toilet paper rolls. When you have 300 toilet paper rolls ~ and you take off 25, it's not nearly as noticable as taking 25 off of a tree made of 200 rolls. I read that on here somewhere too.

You may lost weight from everywhere but your hips, thighs, and tummy. Some people say the tummy fluff is the last to go. Everytime I dropped 25 pounds in the upper 200's, I dropped a size, but I lost weight VERY evenly.

You've done GREAT!!! You'll be dropping size in no time!!! Don't worry
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #10  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

What are the rough estimates as to pounds and sizes. ie; what kinda size would you be at 150 pounds... Any information on this would be great. Thanks in advance
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Stephanie - we're pretty close in weight, and I couldn't even fit into 24 jeans until I was like 10 lbs lighter than you - however, all my other size 24 pants are now too big.

Bodies are weird.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by l00py
What are the rough estimates as to pounds and sizes. ie; what kinda size would you be at 150 pounds... Any information on this would be great. Thanks in advance

Oh my gosh, it depends on so many factors... height and frame size, not to mention shape (apple, pear etc). Oh, and then it also depends on how much fat you have vs muscle (as fat that weighs 5 pounds takes up much MORE space than muscle that weighs 5 pounds). And the manufacterers themselves. And I'm sure other issues I'm forgetting.

Everytime people start saying their weights and sizes I always feel like a whale, because it seems that others my weight are wearing much smaller sizes than me. At Stephanie's weight I think I was a 26, and I am one inch taller. I am just trying to just come to terms with the fact that it is what it is!

So, for the short answer to you question, it may be safe to say that if all we know is that someone weighed 150, we'd be safe guessing she wears between a size 14 to a size 4!! (I'm totally guessing there...)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

There indeed ARE too many variables to say what size you should wear at what weight. If you have two women who weigh 180 pounds, and one is 5'1" and the other is 5'7"...the 5'7" woman is going to look a lot thinner, and be in a smaller size because she is half a foot taller.

Also-your body TYPE will often have a major impact on WHERE you lose fat first. There was the comment about tummy fat being the last to go...this is usually only true on "apple" or "cylindar" body types-where the tummy is a problem area. On hourglasses and pears...we lose in our faces and tummies/waists quite easily at first...an keep our rear ends until the end.

For instance-before this pregnancy, when I went from 211 to about 165-I lost an average of 1"-3" all over my body-each thigh, my hips, upper arms, bust, and so forth...but I lost 7" in my abs/waist.

Many women here can weigh 140 pounds, for instance-and be anywhere from a size 14 to a size 4, depending on their build, height, amount of muscle mass, body fat percentage, body TYPE, and other factors.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/157/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't know if it helps but from 230 lbs all the way down to about 195 i stayed in a size 18/20 and after 195 hit, i dropped sizes like crazy i am now 159 and a size 12, I would still like to lose more but i think no matter how much more i lose I will always have huge hips and so I will never be any smaller than that
carebear8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #15  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I would definitely take measurements. I lost quickly through the hips and legs but lost slowly on top. I thought I would never go down in shirt sizes. I am at goal now and still wear mostly larges in shirts. I know many people my height and weight and they wear larger pants than me, but wear small shirts. I will never be able to wear smaller shirts. I am V shaped. I love the analogy of the paper towels and wish I had heard this to start with, it might have saved me some frustration.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote