Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 01:26 PM   #1  

Thumbs down New Here and Help!!

Hi everybody. I have been a lurker at 3FC for a little while,a nd I just re-joined WW on Monday. I have a few questions and I want to ask this group for as much motivation as possible (and i'm not selfish......I will give back too!!).

I have joined and re-joined WW countless number of times. It is a great program and I know it works. I just have a hard time staying motivated on ANYTHING for more than a few days at a time. I really need tips on motivation and what works for you.

I also have another question, and maybe this might need to be directed on another forum here at WW 3FC. I bought the Healthy Choice Pasta Sauce (which is quite yummy). Would you happen to know if this is considered a vegetable with 0 points, or would it count as one point?

I'm really looking forward to this site and getting to know one another.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Default Welcome to our pages!

Let's tackle the easy question first -- about your Healthy Choice. When you calculate the points, it is likely that it comes up zero for one serving if it's fat free. If the serving is 1/2 cup, (and you stick to it) and if it comes up zero, great -- it counts as a vegetable. It even counts (all tomato sauce counts as a veggie) if it has a point. Just be careful not to get careless with it (that is, don't have 2 cups and count them as zero. Re-calculate by doing the math in proportion ... If you have 3 servings in one sitting, assign it the number of points it works out to, otherwise you'll be cheating yourself.

Now, as for the motivation part... That's a very personal thing and you know yourself you have to WANT to succeed and have a compelling reason to do so. Everyone starts a diet more than once, and for most, those who are Weight Watchers Members (that is, those who attend meetings regularly) generally join between 2 and 4 times before they are successful... GENERALLY. Yes, there are those who did it the first time, got to lifetime and stayed there. There are also some who start, stop, start, stop, 5 or 6 times even in one year, and never get there.

Staying motivated is a very personal thing. What made me do it was the fear that I was going to end up with adult onset diabetes (I was 50 pounds overweight) and have bad knees. I did it for health. I've lost my weight and have kept it off for two years. There are HUGE success stories here -- Kelly_S, for one, Rupert's Mom, Imaleader -- have all lost a bunch of weight through the meeting room and with the incredible help of the active participants on this board.

The important thing to keep in mind is that This is Not a Race and you have to understand your body and give it time to adjust. The weight did not just appear overnight (did it?) and it won't all melt off by your next weigh in. YOu need time to absorb all the new things you must do -- journaling, water, portion control, perhaps a little activity (even walking for only 10 minutes at a time, twice a day, will help kick start your metabolism. There is no need to join a gym or go crazy on a treadmill).

Try to really focus on this -- develop new eating habits, weigh yourself only once a week (are you going to meetings or doing it at home?) and know that the weight in the meeting room is the one that prevails. The weight WW cares about is the one that is registered at your weigh in, NOT your bathroom scale, first thing in the a.m.

Keep us posted on your progress. Your weight will come off commensurate w/ how rigidly you particpate, (and if staying motivated for you means having a couple of "flexible" days -- meaning, maybe, not entirely ON program, but at least incorporating some of the new habits -- jounaling your 40 point day--that will help.

Good luck, and keep at it!

Warm regards.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:51 AM   #3  

Default Thanks

Thank you, Leader, for your words of wisdom. You are exactly right. I started last Monday and already two different days I have gone off plan, but today is a new day and I'm putting my best foot forward. I have to mentally tell myself that this is for the rest of my life, not a diet. That is why WW is a wonderful program. Even though I've slipped twice, I'm still more conscious of what I'm eating and getting right back on the band wagon instead of saying.......oh well.......I'll do better next week. I know this sounds corny, but it is a big step for me. Again, thanks for your post,a nd I will definitely keep you updated on my progress.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:13 PM   #4  
CIN

Katrid,
First of all congrats on re-joining WWers! I joined a zillion times myself and finally made Lifetime!

I thought Leaders advice was very good. And I'm a Leader but not Leader or imaleader! Ha! Now is that confusing or what?

As far as your spag sauce question. I would count the point.It is not listed as a free vegetble on the free list on page 13.......I had to laugh because I thought maybe you read spaghetti sauce instead of spaghetti SQUASH!

You know what is interesting is one point is not going to make or BREAK you.....do the best you can at making progress and it will work! It is the most unforgiving plan!

My advice is take it a day at a time and enjoy the journey!

Again....you have taken the most important step already.........speak positive to yourself like you would a best friend too! Also dont OVERTHINK the whole plan or process..relax and enjoy while losing!

WW Cin
Old 09-02-2001, 05:44 PM   #5  

Default New Here and Help!!

What motivated me to stay with W W was the dollars I put out to join for x number of weeks. I don't remember how many weeks it was back in 1999 but I know I wrote a check for $200.00. That was my committment. I did not want to waste my money.

I think you will be more committed if you plan. Plan your menu for at least four days and shop for what you need for that menu. Set a time that you will eat. Maybe if you work you would eat a light breakfast at 7 am. snack of fruit at 10 am. light lunch ? snack 4 pm supper 6 pm treat 8 - 9 pm. If I know when I am eating it takes the pressure off. If it is 3 pm and I plan to snack at 4 pm I know I must wait. etc etc. On the fourth day plan another four days, Each week try sometime new. If these menu plans work for you keep them to repeat later.

When I joined in 1/99 I knew I was going to have to exercise. Walking was my exercise of choice. If I was going to do it, it had to be my first priority. Now, I hate getting up in the morning and getting dressed right away but that was what I had to do. Out of bed, dressed and out the door walking. It has to be early before it is too hot in the summer. This way the exercise is done for the day and I don't have to think about doing it.

There are other W W related web sites to help motivate you. When you know you aren't in this battle alone it helps alot.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:31 PM   #6  

Hi Katrid and welcome to a wonderful site full of helpful people that will also help motivate you. I find more interesting subjects and ideas on this site than at my meeting. Not saying don't go to your meeting, but am saying we are here for you and best of luck. Check our the recipe section. There are some wonderful yummy things there too. Patti
Old 09-03-2001, 10:52 PM   #7  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi Katrid!
I'm chiming in to say welcome and best of success to you. WW using points is a great system. We all struggle at times but we're trying to lose weight and come up with an eating/exercise plan we can live with from now on out. Good luck and keep on posting.
234/thinner
Old 09-04-2001, 11:58 AM   #8  

Hi katrid!
I wanted to add that I am finding the support on the boards really useful as well. It is a really good add on to the ww meetings as far as I am concerned - in fact I find it MORE useful in many ways than the meetings! So hopefully there will be some motivation for you in that.

You know what my main tip for staying motivated is? It is to love yourself as you are - not just because you are dieting. The way I see it, we often make the mistake of saying things like 'I want to lose weight so that I can feel good about myself again' and other really self hating things We deserve better! I think what works for me is to say 'I want to lose weight because I feel good about myself'

Good luck with it! I look forward to your posts!
Lilac
ps I usually post on Countdown to 250 on the ww 100 thread, although I lurk around on others too
Closed Thread