Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Maintainers, do you personally know any?

Other than the wonderful people here at 3FC, do you personally know any people who have lost 20lbs or more and maintained that loss for at least a year? If so, what are they doing (if you know)?

I've known MANY people who lost weight. But only one who successfully maintained their loss for over a year. I am curious, if this is just the people I know?!?!?!

My brother lost 90lbs and has maintained that loss for over 15 years! Both of our parents were obese (over 250lbs) so this was quite an accomplishment!

He does not count calories or carbohydrates. He uses a "one plate" rule. He eats what he wants but only in "normal" portions---never going back for seconds. He will sometimes snack, but only eats a small portion. He exercises 2-3 times weekly and weighs weekly. He stated that it gets "much easier" to maintain weight but you always, always have to be aware of what that weight is. If he gains a pound or two, he watches his diet more carefully for a week.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My neighbor, back in junior high school (we're 43 now!) was quite a heavy girl. She did Atkins for about a year and lost a lot of weight. I look back and wonder how she had the will power. I remember sitting in our yard on a hot summer afternoon. All of us just lounging around, bored, and we spotted fresh, ripe strawberries! We all grabbed a few and popped them in our mouths--all except for my neighbor. She said she couldn't have it because of the sugars (carbs). She lives in Switzerland now, but I see photos of her. She has maintained her loss through two childbirths! She is amazing. She is very active--does a lot of hiking and biking. She often tells us of her home garden and the things she prepares for dinner. Definately a whole food person! Although I don't know how much she lost (probably over 30 pounds) she is definately a maintainer!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Just me myself and I I'm afraid - and how to I keep it off? Well I'm still trying to lose, so that's how!

I've seen a lot of people go up and down. It's sad really, I don't think anyone figures that they can't just "go on a diet" then go back off it and hope to keep the weight off.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

My younger sister!!! She was about 220-230 (my estimate) when she was 14 and lost it by 16 and has kept it off for 6 years!!! She has SO much self-control. At our family b-day parties (how ironic ~ there's one today actually), she doesn't touch the cake. She might have a lick of icing and that's it. I have never been able to turn down cake. But she really has to watch it, because she's not a regular exerciser (I think the statistics are something like 10% of maintainers DON'T exercise). I think that's the most surprising part of her maintenance. She is really lazy. I know I prefer feeling fit and I will always exercise.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

ok.. so do I know someone personally who has lost 20 pounds or more and kept it off for more than a year.. let's see... um... do I? .. nope

But I will know someone... ME! I swear I am going to track down this thread a year from when I lose 2 more pounds (to qualify for your definition) and in the boldest capital letters I will say

YES

I know a wonderful person who has worked to get it off and keep it off and is still working to be the best that she can be ... ME!

You wait for it.. cause I will find this thread! Watch and see!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My DH lost about 25 lbs when I first started losing. Partly because he ate pretty much what I did and partly because he stopped working in a lumberyard and went to work in construction.
I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of anyone right now.
I'm not even sure if I qualify. Although it's been 3 years since I first hit 30 lbs lost, I have been back up over 140 once. Hmmm, I'll have to go rootin' through my notebooks.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

There are several middle age and older women in my running club who have lost substantial amounts of weight (30-100 pounds) and kept it off for years. They are my motivation and role models. They run several times a week, 3-10 miles is a casual run to them. A couple of them run 1-2 marathons a year just for fun. They coah the beginning running programs then after we get back they take off again and do a real run after we leave. We get up to maybe 2 miles.

Those who have kept the weight off have substantially changed their live styles to by greatly more active then average overweight people- in those that I've been around.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

Yeah, my husband.

He lost 100 lbs when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and over the years he's gained back maybe 25. So he's been down 75 lbs for over 20 years now.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know someone, me I had maintained my loss for over a year and in the last few months I decided to stop maintaining and start losing again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I don't know anybody who has lost weight and kept it off. One of the ladies at work who was a big motivation for me has slowly gained back all the weight she lost, she never mentions it, so I don't either. As someone who used to lose/gain, lose/gain, lose/gain, I personally understand the heartbreak.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I know at least four people who've lost more than 20 lbs and kept it off for years now. Three are women that I've worked with and one is a friend from high school. One of the women kept a picture of herself when she was at her highest weight on her desk to motivate her to stay thin. She was already thin when she started working at my company, so we were all shocked to see the picture. We couldn't even tell that it was her.

I'm not sure what diets they followed, but all three maintained their loss through careful control of their diet and through exercise.

I also know a fifth that lost over 20 lbs about eight years ago and has kept it off for the most part, but did back slide a little bit after having kids. I don't think she's anywhere as heavy as she once was and she has started exercising again to try to stop the damage.

I also wonder how many people I know that are maintaining a >20lb weight loss that I just think of as naturally skinny. The fact is, most of the people I know that are thin watch what they eat and exercise regularly. Any one of them could have been at least 20 lbs heavier at some point and made a lifestyle change to lose weight. When I go to the gym and see people that are clearly in great shape, I wonder how many started out a lot heavier. None of the maintainers that I know really advertise that they are maintaining a weight loss; I know it either because I came across old pictures of them in company newsletters or because someone else told me. So most people who meet them probably think they've always been this weight.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've lost close to 90 lbs on Atkins and have kept it off for over a year. I intend to keep it off the rest of my life
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #13  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue
The fact is, most of the people I know that are thin watch what they eat and exercise regularly. Any one of them could have been at least 20 lbs heavier at some point and made a lifestyle change to lose weight. When I go to the gym and see people that are clearly in great shape, I wonder how many started out a lot heavier.
Excellent point! I guess unless you've known someone personally for a long time you have no way of knowing unless you were told.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #14  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

My dad lost 90lbs a couple years ago via South Beach and is maintaining that loss by continuing to cut carbs out of his meals.

Also, my mom lost about 30lbs (she isn't really overweight at all) 5 years ago via WW and has gained about 10lbs back but continues the WW crusade to get them off again.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #15  

Yes - My own mother.

She spent the majority of her life over 300 pounds. She says she KNOWS she was over 400 at one point, but refused to get on a scale after she saw 390. She went down to 165, then back up to around 225/250 and stayed there for many many years. I think it was weight watchers that she followed back in the 70s/80s - or something in NY called TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)

Just over a year ago she had the gastric bypass surgery, she's now hanging in around 190. She looks & feels great!

Wolfena is offline   Reply With Quote