Support Groups - Pregnant and Staying Fit ~ September 2001

09-01-2001, 12:58 PM
Well the beginning of a new month. I don't know where ya'll live but here it feels a lot like fall already, very breezy and cool but sunny. Kind of ironic considering that hot humid stuff we had not too long ago.

5 days til my due date. I think the baby has dropped but I'm not 100% sure. The hubby says I look like I am carrying the baby lower. I am so large it is hard to palpate different baby body parts but last night in bed I was trying and I think I could feel his bottom about half way down. I have been having less heartburn too and not feeling as full when I eat. Right at this moment I have gained 44 lbs which is a lot more than what I was hoping for but I think a lot of it is water because my feet and hands are so swollen. Plus if the baby is as big as what they think then a lot of it will be baby, placenta etc etc. I'm not going to obsess over it, I'm well beyond that. Just for you new ladies, keep up with your exercise is the best advice I have!!

Sara - it would be so funny if we delivered on the same day! I see the dr on tues if i haven't delivered by then and I will beg her to induce me. She had sort of mentioned before that because of my size she wouldn't let me go past my due date which officially is the 6th. So maybe if I see her on the 4th she will schedule for the 6th or 7th for induction. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Geneve - Well the countdown is on! glad to hear the nursery is getting there. I'm almost sad that we are all down with ours as it gives me less to do! Now I just feel like I am hanging around waiting for labour to start and it has been a long wait. I'll bet you are glad the boys are back in school. They are talking about having year round school up here, I don't know how well that would go over though.

Keep well everyone.

09-05-2001, 10:48 AM
Jen -- Are you being induced?!?!?!?!?

I am still here and STILL no baby! I was just sure I would have delivered by now...sigh... I have been in such a terribly bad mood these last few days. My Mom has arrived and everything is in place. Now it's just the waiting. I've been having "false" labor for over a week now. I'll have contractions 5 min. apart or so and think, "this is it!" but then after about 3-4 hours they go away.

Only a few more days until I'm scheduled to be induced. I had really wanted to go into labor on my own, but at least it feels good knowing the baby will be here soon!

Jen, I wouldn't stress too much about the weight gain. Each woman's body is different in how they gain weight in pregnancy.

EDD 9/08

09-06-2001, 12:57 PM
Well today is my due date and still no baby! I am so tired of waiting, I am so uncomfortable it takes superhuman effort to get out of bed these past few days.

Sara, no I am not being induced yet. I had a dr's appt on tues, my cervix is soft but otherwise nothing has moved. The baby has dropped a bit but not all the way. My dr is sending me for an ultrasound today and then I see her tomorrow. she said on tues that she usually waits a week after the due date to induce but maybe if the baby is really large she will induce me sooner. That is what I am hoping anyway. I know what you mean about being in a bad mood. My mom has been phoning every day and it is driving me nuts. Last night she said something about me being cranky and not taking a joke and I told her that I don't enjoy having to heave myself over to the phone and then being made fun of. Thank goodness she isn't coming to see me while I am in the hospital (whenever that may be) unless it is on the weekend because of her work. That is just one more thing I need to be stressing about, having my mother there while I am in labour. I know she means well but I just know she would be saying, just get an epidural, every five minutes. Oh well, if they do induce me it probably won't be over the weekend and at this rate I am not going into labour any time soon. Well the next time you write Sara you'll probably have had your baby. All the best, good luck with the labour and delivery, hope everything goes smoothly. Take care.

09-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Oh, Jen, hang in there honey! I can totally relate to your feelings! My first was several days overdue. I know each day feels like forever! But you'll be in labor before you know it.

Well, this is it for me ladies. I go in tomorrow night at 9:00 pm to begin the induction. I can't believe it! It seems so unreal. I am excited/nervous/wow!!!!

I'll write again as soon as we get home.


09-07-2001, 04:29 PM
Sara and Jen - I am sending many "good labor thoughts" your way. Hope all goes well for you both. I can't wait to read your stories.

We are doing well here. Nursing really does help take off the weight quicker. I have not rejoined WW but I know certain clothes are fitting again. I am just watching what goes in my mouth and keeping track of it. I am just not motivated yet to join WW and go to the meetings yet.

Be well everyone.

09-07-2001, 06:26 PM
Hi all. had my ultrasound yesterday, I got me a big, big baby! By their calculations he weighs around 9.5 lbs give or take a pound. apparently at term the scans can be off because they can't get accurate measurements. No change in my cervix since Tues but she did an internal and I've had a bit of bleeding this afternoon so maybe that helped it along a bit. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sara - I am so envious!!!! You'll be having your baby so soon. Good luck and best wishes. Let us know as soon as you are up to putting your baby down for a minute to log onto the computer.:lol:

bensmom - glad to hear you are dropping some of that weight. I've gained 44 lbs overall, well at least I know where 9.5 of it is already, it gives me hope that a lot of that 44 will be gone after delivery.

Take care all.

Alex's Mom
09-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Jen, I'm sending some labor thoughts your way. Hopefull the little bugger will give you some relief and come make his/her entrance.

Sara, I'm sending you easy labor vibes. Actually, I'm sending you lots of epidural vibes!!! Hope everything goes well for you and I hope your already holding your beautiful baby in your arms!

Just giving you an update on me. I had my 20 wk appt today. We're having a boy!!! I am sooooooo shocked. I was convinced that I was having another girl. I'm still in a daze. Most importantly, the baby looked great and everything appears normal. As of today I'm up 8 lbs which I'm pleased with. So far if I keep on this path, I'll have a reasonable gain. But who knows when those pregnancy cravings/hunger sets in anything goes!

Oh, I forget who asked about breast pumps. A friend of mine is raving about the Avent system. So that is something I might consider. I'd like to combine breastfeeding with a few bottles. But, I'm still on the fence about this.

Anyways...I won't ramble anylonger.

Take care all.

EDD 1/31/02

09-10-2001, 02:27 PM
Hi all. Still no baby. I've got an appt with an OB this afternoon and hopefully I will be induced tomorrow. Hope everyone is well. Take care.

09-10-2001, 04:41 PM
IT'S A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josiah Arthur Borgstede arrived at 8:09 PM on Friday, Sept. 7th. Everything went well and he is perfect! He weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and is 20 inches long. I went in for a check-up on Friday morning and I was already dilated to 3 cm (hooray -- all that "false" labor was working!), so she decided to go ahead and check me in right away to start the induction. We arrived at the hospital around 1:00 and they started the pitocin around 2:15. So I only had about 6 hours of labor! I would say it was more intense being induced, but really not that much more painful than "natural" labor. I did have a "light" epidural (I could still feel all the pressure to push -- it worked out great) about an hour before he was born.

He's a beautiful baby...big blue eyes and so alert...feeding is going well too...he has a great personality...we couldn't be more blessed!

Jen -- I hope you go into labor or are induced VERY soon! I feel for you so much -- those last couple weeks about did me in! I will be praying that regardless when or how you have a great delivery and Mom and baby are safe and healthy.


09-11-2001, 02:04 PM
Oh Sara, I'm so happy to hear about your baby!!! Thank goodness everything went well and both of you are happy and healthy. Unfortunately I was not induced today, I am going in tomorrow for the gel and then into the hospital on Thursday for the IV induction. If I have a boy his middle name will be Arthur as well. Did you already have that picked or was that spur of the moment?

Big goings on in the world today, I really can't get my mind around everything that has been going on. I've been in front of the tv most of the day, it is so scary, the world has definately changed today for everyone.

09-13-2001, 11:54 AM
Hi Girls
Sorry that I have been so sporatic these days. I do lurk and read a lot but I haven't had the energy to post.

Congrats again Sara! Can you believe that you have a new baby? It seems like we were just in the first trimester and here we are! (Of course, I am still a lady in waiting - but that's okay!)

Hi Jen!
Well, you must be a the hospital getting induced at this point. I am sending you a prayer and well wishes for a beautiful birth! I highly recommend to limit your TV viewing if you find yourself overly disturbed. I've had several crying spells watching the tradgedy unfold. I totally agree that this is the most disturbing news while we are here bringing our babies into the world. We need to try to focus on the positives as much as we can, and continue to pray for peace in our world. God is always with us, remember that - and God will take care of us if we ask for help.

My news:
I am now in my 38th week. I had my ultrasound on Tuesday as well as went in to see my doc. Bellybean is currently weighing about 7 lbs. and 7 oz. right now and is looking healthy. I'll have an internal next time to see where I am. I will not be a candidate for being induced, so we are going to see where things are going. My doc and I agreed that we would go no farther that October 2nd -so, if I am not in labor by then, I will have a scheduled C-Section on that day. I will be a day shy of 41 weeks. Hopefully, I will get mybody to go into labor on it's own.

I'll keep you all updated.

God Bless you all

Scully and Bellybean

09-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Hello friends! Just a quick note here between feedings...we are still doing very well. Joey is a great baby! I am so blessed! I am a little nervous about how I will cope once my Mom leaves -- 3 kids all by myself, ahhh!!!

It's hard not to feel totally self-conscious about my post-p body right now. I still look about 4-5 months pg and so flabby it's unreal! My 3 year old asked if I had another baby in there. *sigh* I know it's only been a week but it's still depressing. When I was pg it was easier to handle -- I had a good reason to be "fat" -- suddenly my good reason is gone! I am dreading it and anxious at the same time to start WW again. I had said I would go back at 6 weeks but now I am thinking I might start back around 4. Not sure, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Jen -- I've been thinking about you often!!!!! Can't wait to hear your birth story!


09-20-2001, 01:00 PM
hi all. just a quick post to let you know that i had the baby fri nite at 253am by c-section. drake arthur, 9lbs 4 1/2 oz. came home sun. has been rough but is slowly settling. more later.

09-20-2001, 06:48 PM
Jen -- Congrats!!!! Can't wait to hear the whole birth story when you have a few minutes. Welcome, Drake, into the world!

How is everyone else doing? I am doing well, recovering. Not getting much sleep, but that's to be expected. Unfortunately I am still eating as if I were pg -- I need to get my little fanny back to WW soon or I will be at my pregnancy weight again pretty quick!


Josiah Arthur born 9/7/01

09-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Hi there... Would you mind if I joined you? I read through your thread, and it looks like several of you have had your babies - congratulations! I recently (8-28-01) had my first baby, Megan, and I'm looking for support in trying to get in shape. My baby was 8 pounds, 9 ounces, and she is a joy (although I've never been so tired in my life!).

When I found out that I was pregnant, I was 221, the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I gained 29 pounds with my pregnancy,l which my doctor was happy about.

I planned to breastfeed, but my little one didn't want to cooperate. My sister is a lactation consultant/nurse - even with her help, we weren't able to get our act together. Anyway, for the first three weeks I pumped my milk into bottles, and fed that to her, along with supplementary formula bottles, while I continued to try to breastfeed her. I finally decided a day or two ago to just switch her to formula (I was spending WAY too much time pumping).

Anyway, I think the pumping/breastfeeding helped, because I've been able to lose most of the weight without really trying. I'm down to 224.5 right now. I'm hoping a few more pounds drop in the next week or so. I really need to lose a lot more. I'm only 5'4", and this weight is ALOT for my frame. Even though I've dropped most of the pregnancy weight, 221 looks SO different on me now than it did before the baby - my body looks SO different - I have such a huge gut, and so much extra skin around my belly. I haven't even tried to get into my pre-pregnant jeans, even though I've lost the weight - there is no way all of that extra stuff is going to fit into a pair of "real" jeans. And I'm sick to death of maternity clothes!!!

I know we're supposed to wait until 6 weeks post-partum before starting a diet/exercise plan, but I'm getting antsy. What are you all planning to do to lose the weight? I've heard good things about weight watchers, but I don't know any of the details of the plans. I've started walking with her and DH each night, but only little tiny walks - I still have a little bit of pain from my c-section incision. I'd love to hear what any of the rest of you are doing.

Well, I hope you won't mind if I join in...


;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Garden Girl
09-21-2001, 01:03 AM

I had almost the excact same experince you did with the c-section and the breastfeeding. I think I only lasted a whole two weeks with lacation consultation by phone or office every single day. I talked to my laction consultant more than my own mother!!! Whew! It was a relief to switch to formula.

I lost 63 pounds before getting pregnant and was a Lifetime Weight Watchers Member for 4 months. Then gained 49 pounds while pregnant (I'm only 5'2"). I'm happy to report that my DD will be one year old at the end of this month and I have returned to my Lifetime status at WW.

I remember having a really terrible "jelly belly".It took a long time for it to go away. I started short walks at about 3 weeks post partum and just increased my walk time as my c-section pain went away. I went back to my WW meetings one month after DD was born and got a drs. note that said I should only lose 1 pound a week. That got me free meetings (since I was a lifer before I got pregnant) until May, then I had to pay from May until this month.

The money I paid to WW was well worth it. It's even better if you can find a Mommy and Me WW meeting so you can take your little one if you can't find child care. I took DD to my regular evening meeting until she was about 10 months old (she didn't talk until 7 and a half months old). Now I have switched into a Mommmy and Me meeting where I can let DD wander around a bit during the meeting; as long as she is quiet.

Well, good luck to you! Enjoy your little one. WW is an easy program to follow. If you can find some child care, you might use a weekly WW meeting to be your "Mom's night out" and take that evening for yourself.

I just wanted to let you know that I was in a similar situation and there is a light on at the end of the tunnel. You can be a new mommy and lose weight, too. It takes longer (it took me about twice the amount of time to lose my weight having a baby around the house), but it is well worth the effort. I feel like I've got the energy to play with DD as much as she and I want.

Just give yourself the time that it takes to lose the weight. It will be worth it to eventually get to your goal and be comfortable there.

Well, take care and go slow, so that your c-section heals up nicely. And go easy on yourself and rest when you can. You'll probably find it gets easier to exercise,cook, eat healthy as your little one gets a little bigger.


09-22-2001, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone,
congratulations to sara and Jen, well done to you.
Haven't written for a while, mainlybecause of all the horrible news...apart from the terrible tragedy in the US we lost a friend here in a motorbike accident, these seem to be such dark times and yet I guess the babies are the answer...the reason we keep on going, tying to make the world a safe place. I swear if men had babies they would be too busy promoting life to kill and maim.
I hope I can manage to bring my boys up to appreciate all life is sacred.
It was me who asked about the pumps...and if anyone else is interested I can recommend the avent one highly, also their disposable system, which I have been using when we go out following a disaterous outing...went to my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party in a pretty nice hotel, only to find they had no feeding facilities at all and as i didn't feel happy 'getting them out' in front of the large party I spent all night sitting in the adies toilets! AAARRRGHHHHHHH.
Still weighing about the same, managed one swim since Leo arrived, trying hard to find a gym/pool where I can take him. Started writing down what I'm eating today in preparation for getting my WW CD out again!
Very best wishes to you all,

09-23-2001, 06:04 PM
I was so glad to read about the new babies. Congrats, Sara and Jen! Treasure these times with the little ones. The time goes so fast. My baby is almost three months old already.

Also, with the tragic events of Sept. 11, I have learned to treasure these times even more.

Welcome to Karen and Sue, also.

Take care, everyone. Be well.

Lara H
09-23-2001, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone... I just found this group and am happy that I did.

Congratulations to the new moms, I know that I am certainly looking forward to meeting my little one, although I still have a ways to go. My EDD is March 23, so I won't be meeting him or her anytime soon.

So far I've only gained a little over 5 pounds, but I also gained most of that while having horrible morning noon and night sickness... go figure. I'm hoping to keep the weight gain to a minimum--and so is my Dr. This is our first baby, and a wonderful surprise for us as we were told we'd never get pregnant without help. :D We sure showed them! :D

I am a Montessori Preschool teacher, and right now I'm still working full time, but I'm thinking about going to half days some time in the next month or so as we are also thinking about moving to a house with a bigger yard and I just don't have the energy after a full day at work to do what is necessary to sell a house and move.

Nice to meet you all,

EDD March 23, 2002 :angel:

09-24-2001, 01:09 PM
Hi all. Just a quick post. Finally the baby is settled down but I still need a nap too. Isn't that the way it goes!

Basically what happened with my delivery is that I went in on the Wed and Thurs for the gel, neither of which did anything to dilate my cervix. I went back Thurs night and they said I was 2 1/2 cm dilated but the baby was still not engaged. Well the dr thought right off that I wouldn't delivery vaginally because my pelvis is too small (a surprise for me because under all this fat I had assumed I had hips as wide as an ocean), also she said even if the baby was 6-7 lbs I might not be able to deliver. We decided to start the pitocin and see if that did anything. She broke my water too. That is so nasty, all that water all over the place, what is that about 5 gallons? So I went through about 3 hours of labour, finally the pain was too much and I was calling for an epidural. the contractions were right on top of each other and extremely intense, I was barely making it through them without losing it. Just then the dr was coming back and examined me, there had been no progress at all so she said why not get a spinal and we'll do the c-section so that's what we did. Having a spinal is so weird! It took like 8 hours for it to completely wear off. It is so strange not being able to move your legs or feet when you want to try and move them.

So I am having the same problems with the breast feeding as Sue, he just doesn't want to latch on. At first he was sucking his tongue, so we did a bunch of finger feeding to help get his tongue down but no matter what he just won't latch on. He'll go on for about 2 seconds then come off. It was taking me over an hour to feed him and we were both wiped out (this was in the hospital) and anxious. So when I came home I started pumping and giving him formula to supplement because I am not producing enough. I too have seen the lacation consultants and I am sick of the whole thing. I am committed to giving him breast milk so I am still pumping but that too is wearing me down. Yes it is extremely time consuming! I will pump 30 min and only get 2 oz and the size of my boy, he is taking at least 4 oz every 3-4 hours. Well I'm going to keep up with what I have been doing for now. It certainly has helped with the weight, I have already lost over half of what I gained during pregnancy.

I'm giving myself a little while before I start back into an exercise program, I haven't even been out with the stroller yet. I'm giving myself this week to be a couch potato before I venture out.

Anyway I had better go, I need to pump. Take care all.

09-25-2001, 05:29 PM
Hi all! I'm going to call WW today to find out about the plans they have. Is anyone doing anything besides WW?

Garden Girl: Wow, that is great about your weight loss... Thanks so much for the support and encouragement. I am really feeling motivated to get the weight off. I just went back to work part-time (I work from home), and between that and the baby, I don't have TIME to eat anyway, hee-hee-hee.

Can I ask you - do you feel like the meetings are an important part of why you were able to lose? Do you think you could have done it if you just had the plan, and didn't go to meetings? I'm definitely going to do WW, but I have a hard time going places where I don't know people, so the meetings sound a little intimidating.

Geneve - I like your tag line "I need some sleep." That about sums it up!

Lara - You and I started at almost the exact same weight. Congratulations on the little one you are expecting.

Jen - I admire your endurance. I feel really, REALLY guilty about not pumping anymore (and about not being able to make the breastfeeding work for us). I only lasted the three weeks, and once I had to go back to work part-time, I just couldn't pump every three hours for 45 minutes anymore. I feel really badly about the decision I made to stop - I'm looking back, now that my milk is pretty much gone, and saying - shoot, I should have just kept at it. So I sincerely wish you good luck - its so good for the baby!

Take care everyone!

Lara H
09-25-2001, 08:25 PM
Hi everyone :)

I had my second OB appt today. She is pretty sure I am not having twins, even though my uterus is apparently growing by leaps and bounds. She found the heartbeat after much trying, everytime we'd hear it there'd be a kick (that's what she said the noise was) and the heart beat would vanish until she hunted some more. I was getting a little worried but she said the baby is just active. She said it's in the 150's. After she heard it she stopped looking so I'm sure she is pretty certain there's only one in there.

On the scale at her office I'm appaarently down about 3 poounds from 4 weeks ago... but I am not counting that for much as it was weighing me 3# heavier than the tops scale did. We will see what the scale says tonight at weigh in.

Have any of you suffered from headaches/migraines during your pregnancy? And if you have have you found anything that helps? I'm using a tylenol, a cold cloth with a bit of lavender water on it and a darkened room, but these things only sometimes get rid of it...:^:


Lara H
09-25-2001, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone :)

I had my second OB appt today. She is pretty sure I am not having twins, even though my uterus is apparently growing by leaps and bounds. She found the heartbeat after much trying, everytime we'd hear it there'd be a kick (that's what she said the noise was) and the heart beat would vanish until she hunted some more. I was getting a little worried but she said the baby is just active. She said it's in the 150's. After she heard it she stopped looking so I'm sure she is pretty certain there's only one in there.

On the scale at her office I'm appaarently down about 3 poounds from 4 weeks ago... but I am not counting that for much as it was weighing me 3# heavier than the tops scale did. We will see what the scale says tonight at weigh in.

Have any of you suffered from headaches/migraines during your pregnancy? And if you have have you found anything that helps? I'm using a tylenol, a cold cloth with a bit of lavender water on it and a darkened room, but these things only sometimes get rid of it...:^:


Lara H
09-25-2001, 09:03 PM
sorry for the double post... not sure how that happened....


Garden Girl
09-26-2001, 02:32 AM

Yes! For me the meetings are critical. I think I really needed the accounability of weighing in at the meetings each week to keep on track. Plus, eventually, I stopped weighing in at home. I was too focused on the number and weighing in too often. I went to weight watchers and felt terrible about being there, in a large group for the first two months. I eventually got used to it, met some fantastic people and that motivated me to keep coming back, too! There were several times that I thought, Oh, I'm too tired/busy/etc to go, but I kept going because I wanted to see my friends and I knew they would support me, even if I gained.

Jen, sorry about the breast feeding. You are doing all the right things and it is totally exhausting. Hang in there. Breast feeding and throwing up after my c-sections, and DD having colic were the absolute worst things during the first six months. It does get better and the baby will be healthy with breast milk, formula or how ever it works out. For me, I had nightmares while I was sleeping. I had to quit for my own mental health due to the pain. Once I did quit, feeding DD didn't get better,even with the bottle until the colic got better. So, don't blame yourselves too much!

Good luck everyone! Karen

09-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Lara - When I had terrible headaches in early pregnancy it was because I wasn't drinking enough water. The baby took what it needed from me, so I didn't have enough left for me, and voila, a huge headache. Once I realized that I had to increase my water intake by a pretty huge amount, and started drinking a lot more, the headaches disappeared for the most part.

Who knows if that is what is happening to you - just a thought. :>


Lara H
09-26-2001, 11:08 AM
SueMoo: Thanks... I think I may have reduced my water intake lately. I will up it again and see if that helps.

Also... you had asked about programs other than WW. I go to TOPS. It's a lot cheaper and you still get the support of a weekly weigh in and others on the same journey as you. You can follow whatever lifestyle/diet plan you want to, so you could still do the WW plan if you already have and like that plan.


PS... I swear they should outlaw early mornings.....

Garden Girl
09-27-2001, 06:42 PM

I got some bad headaches/boraderline migranes in my second trimester. I had a history of them before I had thyroid problems. Anyway, I was doing the extra strengh tylenol thing, too.

I told my OB and she told me to start drinking up to one cup of coffee day. I started drinking a half cup of coffee a day and it did the trick. Do check with your OB to make sure this is okay with them. Some OB's say no caffiene. But, my OB said caffiene would be safer than taking tylenol for as many headaches as I was getting.

Well, good luck! I think that headaches are more common in second trimester and they may go away on their own later on. I hope so!


09-28-2001, 10:05 AM
Good Morning to allof the Mommies out there. I hope everyone is feeling well.

Lara - Can you give me some more info about TOPS. I was very successful with WW (I lost 80 pounds in a year). But I got frustrated with the people that attended the meetings (always complaining). What are the TOPS meetings like? Anything you can tell me would be great.

09-28-2001, 12:58 PM
Hi all. For those of you who have had c-sections in the past I have a question. I am having a lot of blood tinged drainage, it is not blood, only blood tinged. It is not an all the time thing just has happened 3 times since the delivery (2 weeks now) and it comes out a large amount all at once. After the first time I had the dr look at the incision and she said it was fine, healing well, there are a couple of tiny open areas that were oozing tiny amounts of blood previously. She wasn't really concerned about it. The second time I had all this drainage I didn't call but just kept an eye on my incision and I have put a rolled up face cloth over the incision, I have a fold of tummy over top of the incision so I thought that the pressure of the face cloth would help. This past week I have had a couple of tiny spots of blood but nothing else. Then this morning I had another gush of this fluid. I am getting really concerned about this. I have a call into the dr's office so I am waiting to hear from her again. I have looked at the incision in a mirror and it looks okay, nothing really red or infected looking, nothing gaping open. Anyone else have these problems?

Sue - it is really tough to hang in there with the pumping so don't feel bad about giving it up. I've had lots of times when I wanted to quit. Right now I am pumping about 30 min every 3-4 hours and I'm only getting 3-4 oz each time. The dr gave me a medicine that is supposed to help with the let down but I"m not sure it is working.

The good news is that I have lost 30 of my 44 pregnacy gained pounds! Yahoo! I can hardly wait until I can get out there and do some serious exercising to get rid of the rest of this fat.

09-28-2001, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a great Friday... I'm in a fantastic mood today - it's our (dh & I) 5 year anniversary today, and in honor of it, Megan (who is 4 weeks old) slept for 7.5 HOURS last night. I couldn't believe it! We've been trying a new trick with her to get her to sleep more, and based on the last few nights, it appears to be working - 5.5 hours on Tuesday night, 6.5 hours on Wednesday night, and then 7.5 hours last night. Before this, she slept for 3 hours, then woke up to feed, then up for an hour just looking around, then back to sleep for another 3 hours.

Ahhhhh, life is good! Plus, grandma is going to babysit tonight, while DH and I go out to dinner. And, I'm down another 2 pounds, and it's Friday! Yippee!!!

Garden Girl - thanks for the info about the meetings. I still have to decide what to do. My sister has the weight watchers info, and she is going to show me the basics of her plan, so that I can decide if it is what I want to do or not.

Jen - Thanks for the encouragement. I hope the medicine works for you. I never had any fluid from my incision - The only incision related problem I've had is that once the surgical tape came off, I had a lot of soreness when I walked, I guess from my loose tummy skin rubbing against it. I'm sorry - I wish I had something I could tell you. Hopefully your doctor will have comforting news...

Lara - I want more info on Tops meetings too! How much do they cost?

Well, hope everyone has a great day (and night)!

Take care,

09-29-2001, 03:40 PM
Hello, friends! Welcome to the newly pg friends, we are so glad to have you.

Well, I had quite a scare the other day. I have been feeling great since Josiah was born, but then Thurs. morning in the shower I started having some cramping. At first I didn't think anything of it, but by the time I got out of the shower I was doubled over in pain. I called DH at work and he came right home and rushed me to the doctor. (We were both in a panic!) Turns out I have an infection, which I guess is a fairly common complication while recovering from childbirth, although I've never had it before. The doctor was so reassuring. She put me on a high-dose antibiotic and some very nice pain killers and I should be fine soon. I am feeling better but very tired and sore.

I was planning to go back to WW on Monday, but now I'm not sure if I'll be up to it or not. I am really anxious to go back and get this body back in shape!

Jen and others -- do NOT beat yourself up if nursing doesn't work for you. My Mom was a Le Leche League leader, so I was raised with the "formula-is-sin-breast-is-best" mentality all the way. Imagine my horror when I tried everything possible with my first and still couldn't nurse! She got dehydrated and everything. It was just awful. So with my second and third I supplemented right from the start. I nurse 10 min on each side and then follow up with a bottle of formula. I also nurse in between feedings if he is fussy and seems to want that. It does make the feedings a little longer, but it's still easer than pumping or using a SFS like I was the first time around. Both my girls nursed for about 4-5 months and then gave it up and only took the bottle, but it was very gradual and never a problem. And everyone is perfectly healthy and happy. It helped my guilt when one of my many lactation consultants told me, "Be thankful for formula. These are the babies that 100 years ago wouldn't have made it."


Lara H
09-30-2001, 04:17 PM
Ok, first I will say there is a really good post on TOPS ( here. It is from the TOPS Board here. TOPS also has a website that has lots of info ( .

Basically, it is member run, each year you elect new officials, which is great, and the program each week is put on by different members. I have found that the more involved I get the better I do, and I know that a lot of the other members feel the same.

Yearly dues, which pay for the monthly magazine are $20 here in the states... and I think $25 in canada. Monthly dues depend on the chapter, most are between $3 and $5 a month I believe. You can pay once a month or once a year or anything in between I believe.

I have a great group of ladies, and we now have 2 men joining us as well which is nice. we have a couple of teens who come, but for the most part the women in my group are a little older. There are a few of us just starting our families or in the middle of raising our families too. :)

Hope this helps,

10-01-2001, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone,
Sue, please tell me what is the sleeping trick?Little Leo now at 8 weeks and won't sleep more than 4 hours...last night was up almost every hour and we are shattered! At the moment DH is working odd hours,leaving home at 4pm, back about 1.30am, and i have a rebellious 4 year old to get fed and bedded plus Leo who wants to be nursed all evening.
If anyone has any advice irtips onhow to get a breast fed baby to sleep longer I'm all ears. Have tried getting him to take a bottle of formula in the evening which he will do as long as it's mixed 50/50 with expressed, but even so he doesn't sleep well...
Hugs to you all,

10-01-2001, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if it will work for you or not, because unfortunately I'm not breastfeeding, but this is what we did...

I took this idea from the "Baby Whisperer" book. It's called cluster feeding. Basically, giving her enough calories in the evening to last her throughout the night. One of her normal evening feedings is usually at 6PM. She drinks about 5 ounces of formula per feeding. Then, we feed her 4-5 ounces again at 8PM (of course, we don't force her to drink the whole amount though - we just stop when she's done.) Then, we feed her again, right before we want to go to bed (usually 10:00 or 10:30). She usually won't drink her full amount at this feeding, usually an ounce or two less. So she ends up having 12-15 ounces between 6 and 10PM. It seems to be enough calories to be allow her to skip her middle of the night feeding - she doesn't wake up for it. I asked the pediatrician if this was o.k. to do, she said it was fine.

She slept for 5 1/2 hours straight on Wednesday night, 7 hours on Thursday night, 7 1/2 hours Friday night, and 7 hours last night. (She only slept 4 hours on Saturday night - we missed her 8:00 feeding, and that seems to have made a big difference).

It has been life changing for us - I was so sleep deprived, I didn't know what to do with myself, and I didn't want to start adding cereal to her bottles like lots of people suggest - she's too young for that, and my pediatrician warned me about that.

We also got a sleep wedge - one of those things that lets you position the baby on her side or keeps her from rolling onto her tummy - she really likes it - I think it makes her feel "cuddled" even after we put her down in her crib.

Good luck,

10-01-2001, 06:19 PM
geneve - My little girl has been sleeping through the night for quite some time now (she will be three months old on fri.). I nurse her during the day. She gets a bottle of formula at night. Lately she has been looking to go to sleep by 9:30 and will sleep until at least 8am sometimes later. One secret we found with the bottle is to have dh give it to her. She got very confused when I tried to give her the bottle. Now that Sue mentioned "cluster feeding" I guess that is what my baby has been doing on her own. Some evenings she looks to nurse, for what seems like, non-stop nursing sessions from 7pm to 9pm. I just sit there sometimes and hold her and nurse. So, maybe she has been filling up on her own. I also have to admit, she likes to sleep on her tummy. I had been laying her on her side because that is how they had her in the hospital. She had excess mucous and would gag a bit if she was on her back. Well, she decided to roll from her side to her stomach at about 4 weeks of age. I panicked when I went in to check on her one night. But she was able to move her head to each side. I also think she liked the comfort of being on her stomach. Her dr did not have a problem with it either. So she has been sleeping on her stomach ever since. I know that all of the literature says "back to sleep" so Some might think I am a bad mother. But everyone is different and this is what works for my baby. I know things will get easier for you with time. Take care.

10-02-2001, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to ensure he has more in the evening.
After the second night of **** (up 3 times last night and up more the night before) I canonly assume he is going through a growth spurt...he seems to be hungry all the time. I want to carry on feeding him if I can but I think he's going to have a few more bottles in the day as I would truly be feeding him for most of the day otherwise. He is really very long and a bit underweight for his length, so I guess when he grows a bit he needs to pack the calories in....when I was a kid I was always tall and skinny and always eating, oh what I wouldn't give to have those days back again!
First day of the post baby diet yesterday was a complete disaster, I didn't have time to get a proper meal in, and kept going on chocolate, tea and toast all day. Oh well, todays a new one and am starting off with a healthy bowl of oatmeal, which should keep me going for a bit.
hope he sleeps a bit today, and not around school run time, then I might be able to catch up on a few hours...
Best wishes to you all