Does it Work? - Using Xenical right now??

View Full Version : Using Xenical right now??

Megan2006
07-24-2006, 07:42 AM
I was just wondering if anyone was currently taking Xenical? I'm about to start it and I thought it'd be good to get some feedback.. Thanks!!!

soon2beslim
07-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I have been on Xenical for 13 weeks now, since the end of april, and I've lost 34 lbs. I have not had anyside affects and drink lots of water. I have started counting cals and fat , as well as really increased my exersize. I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a week which is a healthy rate. I'm very happy with the xenical.
Good luck.:)

Megan2006
07-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info soon2beslim!
I'm terrified of the side affects, but I'm sure if I follow the diet carefully I will be ok. Are you finding you're limited on what you can eat now?

soon2beslim
07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I do eat healthy food and try to avoid chips, sweets, pop etc, but if it is around I have very little. Like chips, if the kids are eating them I may have a SMALL handful, just enough to have a taste. As long as I get that taste I'm ok. When are you starting? Really give yourself a few weeks if you have side affects, some times your body just needs to adjust. Good Luck:)

Megan2006
07-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Girl!
I'm goig to be starting it on wednesday I think. I'm picking it up tonight, but going to give myself a few days to rid my body of the bad stuff.. that way no side effects will happen (at least I hope not.)

turkeysandwich
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't want to be gross, but the five people I knew that took Xenical (one of them including myself), all had severe diarreha after only being on the pill a few days. My cousin's sister-in-law literally could not leave the house; it was so bad. My mother went back to the doctor and gave him back the pills. He was annoyed and said that we should stay on it longer but some of the people I knew kept having accidents (like the sneezed and they s*it themselves). This was WAY back when the pill first came out. The nurse at my doctor's office also was taking the pill and she couldn't stay on it because it was giving her the runs non-stop. We lost weight, but that's because we couldn't keep anything in our stomachs. I would not recommend this pill, but like I said, this had to be about 10 years ago.

cemetarysiren25
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Ugh, I wouldn't recommend it either!! I took it years ago and it was one of the worst, mosty embarrasing experiences of my life. The "leakage" was DISGUSTING! I had to go sit on the toilet even if I just had to pass a little gas....if I didn't, that would be the end of that pair of underwear. Not worth it in my eyes.

turkeysandwich
07-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Absolutely, Siren. The underwear were DONE after that. The leakage was enough for me to chuck those pills. I was really surprised that happened because I was following a low-cal diet, etc., just like the doctor said. I really hope that they've changed Xen now. It has been years since I've taken it, but I have those gross memories to last a lifetime!!!

This has turned into a gross thread, lol. Sorry!!! :)

Megan2006
07-25-2006, 07:38 AM
*lol* it's not a "gross" thread, you guys are giving me your opinions about it and I appreciate it :D
My mom took Xenical last year and she said it worked fine for her. She lost about 20 pounds in two months, even though she didn't restrict herself exactly like they say. Granted, she did have some "spills" *lol* if she had too much fat, but said that as long as you follow the diet and watch our fat intake you won't have anything to worry about. So I would like to think that Xenical has changed now. I'm sure there are some people who have had good experiences, and more who haven't. I guess it just depends on the person. The doctor really recommends that I take it to kick start my weightloss so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll definitely keep you posted as to what goes on.

buckettgirl
07-25-2006, 08:35 AM
I took Xenical just a few years ago. The composition of the pill didn't get changed, or it would have to be marketed as a different name, and we could likely buy a generic version.
Its not about following a low calorie diet with this... it is about following a LOW FAT diet... very low fat if you want to avoid side effects. If you are going to take this, then you cannot have fast food, many restaurant foods, anything with a moderate to high amount of fat without having horrible side effects.
I had some leakage, but not bad. When I was on it, I was only consuming MAYBE 10 grams of fat per day, 1000 calories/day and taking a multivitamin. If you move to a very strict low fat diet without Xenical, you will lose weight.
You must take a multivitamin to replace the fat soluable vitamins (A, D, E, K) lost because of the medication.
OH, I also saved money by not taking the pill at every meal. For instance, I would have a Slimfast for breakfast and it only has 2.5 grams of fat so I wouldn't take the pill for that-and wasn't necessary to take for that low of a fat intake for the meal. I would take it with supper, which was my large meal and had more fat in it.
The only real problem is that Xenical isn't a fix all. It is only a tool, and if you don't use the time you have with it to change behaviors and modify your lifestyle, then any weight loss you have won't last.

Megan2006
07-25-2006, 08:46 AM
how much weight did you lose while on it?

phatgirl
07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
when does xenical go OTC?

penpal
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
How does Xenical work? Do you lose weight because you go to the bathroom a lot if you eat too much fat? In which case, wouldn't you get the same effect by taking high doses of laxatives?

Megan2006
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
It's supposed to cut out 1/3 of the fat you eat. and once you eat more fat than you're supposed to, it REALLY loosens your bowels.

nelie
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Xenical works by not letting your body digest a certain amount of fat (30%?). So if your body isn't digesting it, it has to go somewhere and that somewhere is out. Well our colon isn't designed to handle fat so if you eat too much fat, your body can't stop the umm slide.

Basically xenical works on two fronts. It doesn't let your body take in some calories associated with the fat you eat and the other is that it basically punishes you if you eat too much fat. So it is training you, in a sense to eat a lower fat diet. The problem with that is our body does need fat and there are good types of fat it needs. Also some vitamins need fat in order to be absorbed.

buckettgirl
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree with Nelie, the problem with Xenical is that we need fat to live, so the answer isn't to get rid of fat.

how much weight did you lose while on it?
When I was on Xenical, I lost about 40lbs in 7 months...which I probably would have lost anyway because I was eating so strictly. I got down to around 250lbs, which is a weight I was comfortable at (not thin, but livable). But I didn't use it as a tool, I used it as a fix-all.... and I went off the pills because I could no longer afford them...and since I didn't have any nasty side effects, I started eating real food again.... which (among other issues) lead to me gaining 100lbs in 2 years.

Megan2006
07-26-2006, 09:46 AM
The "good" thing about Xenical is it doesn't block all the fat. I was also given a prescription for something else that's supposed to make you feel full.. but my problem isn't that I eat too much. Even If I feel full, I'll still eat something. Which is why Xenical would work better for me. My fat intake is always high, no matter how hard I try to watch it. I've heard some good reviews on it so I thought I'd give it a shot and my benefits cover it so it's pretty much free for me.

buckettgirl
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't want to discourage you, if it helps get the ball rolling for you, then use it to your advantage. But I know alot of people who have taken Xenical, Meridia, Fen-Phen, phentermine, etc etc... I can't think of a single person who kept the weight off after they went off the drug.
It is very important for you to relearn your eating habits while using this medication or you will not be successful for the long term.
I think that alot of the calorie counters here would say that you need get on to fitday and start logging your food intake to get a good idea of what you really are consuming. If you already know you eat too much fat, then you need to figure out where it is coming from. You need to change what you eat and get a good idea of how much and what kinds of fat are in the foods you eat and find better replacements to phase in or figure out different ways of cooking your food.
Xenical isn't going to "fix" the fact that you eat too much fat. Only you can change what goes into your body - the pills might give you some motivation, but if you continue with high fat while on these, then I would be very careful about being close to a bathroom at all times...

mommybskiny
07-30-2006, 02:46 AM
I have just started using Xenical. I actually ordered it offline. I had taken Phentermine back in nov.2004, and lost 35 pounds. I did how ever gained back 15 pounds when I stoped taking the diet pill. I thought I might try taking something different and did some reading about Xenical. I've been taking it for 1 week and yes the side affects are nasty. I'm lucky cause i'm a stay at home mom. I hope this works, I'm 170 right now and I want to be back down to my prebaby weight of 135. I do need to learn how to eat healthy. I also wanted to say that the side affects seem to be getting better as time goes on. The first 4 days were the worst but now I have no upset or running to the bathroom. Does anyone know why you have to have a BMI of 30 or higher to take these meds? My BMI is 28 so I'm still good to take it right?

Megan2006
07-30-2006, 10:37 AM
My doctor told me that Xenical isn't for those who want to lose just 10 pounds, it's for those who have a lot to lose. So by saying you need to have a BMI of 30, is their way of saying not to take it if you don't have much to lose.
Have you been keeping within your fat content range? Im just curious as to why you're having side effects so quickly...

buckettgirl
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
A BMI of 30 and above is considered obese.
Prescription weight loss drugs are meant for people who have a large amount of weight to lose. These pills, along with Meridia and Phentermine are considered treatment for Obesity... not treatment for overweight.

Lisa_Marie
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I've been on Xenical for about a month, and im eating lower fat food/calorie food and doin my exercise, i still havent really lost anything. Thought i;d mention that.lol..

Megan2006
08-08-2006, 08:40 AM
You haven't lost anything?? that's odd :?:

soon2beslim
08-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Megan, It's been a couple of weeks. Are you taking the xenical? how is it going? Weight loss is getting slower for me now. I have 15 lbs to go and is sure has slowed down. But thats ok, as long as the scales does not go up:smug:

Megan2006
08-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey Soon2beslim, thanks for asking!!! I was going to start this past weekend, but I had a wedding and now we have family over this week so it's not the best time to start. But this saturday I will, because then I can really focus on the low fat part. I must say though, I've been eating fairly clean considering we have company. With the side effects of these pills though, I don't want to take a chance.

Megan2006
08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Just thought I'd post my experience with Xenical incase anyone was interested in using it..
I took a xenical last night with dinner, didn't bother taking it with any other meal b/c there was barely any fat. No side effects as of yet which is a bonus! I'm drinking my water and REALLY watching my food intake.
I'm weighing myself tonight to see my current weight, SO NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.. but I guess I need the reality check. No point in taking this and not seeing how much I am losing right?
I'll check in tomorrow to let you know how today goes :^:

soon2beslim
09-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Megan, hows it going? Are you still on the Xenical? I went on holidays for a few weeks and ate not to bad. I didn't lose any weight while on holidays, But i didn't put any on either:) Well, just wanted to see how you where doing.

Lisa_Marie
09-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Sorry, havent been on this for awhile. When i did take the xencial, i found even if i ate non greasy, non fat foods and id still get those nasty side effects, still even after all that i still havent lost. So i decided to ditch the pills and just eat healthy and work my arse off lol

kalijack
10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Ive been taking Xenical for about 3 weeks, and Im fine, and Ive lost about 14lb Mind you Ive been following a very low fat diet, and also not having any refined carbs or potatoes - a bit like the South Beach diet, except I havent stopped eating fruit at all.
I havent had any side effects, and I was quite worried that the pills werent working, cos I was sort of expecting them, ugh!
But my doctor told me that its because Im eating less than 30 grams of fat in a day.
We are very lucky here in the UK, because if you are considered obese according to your BMI, you get them on prescription, which only costs about 6 if you pay prescription charges, or get them for free if you are exempt like me :)

Megan2006
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I haven't taken xenical in about two weeks. I fell off the diet-wagon and figured it would be useless to take them if I'm not going to follow them. I have recently gotten a new gym membership and will be finally exercising :carrot: As well, I will be following a low fat diet. My plan is to be taking them again starting next week (I fell and hurt my back a couple days ago and haven't been able to do much exercise.) I"m hoping to be up and going by the weekend though.

kalijack - I'm glad you're not having any side effects. I watched my fat intake as well and didn't have any "accidents or effects" like others have had. Congrats on the weight loss this far! That's excellent!!!!

susanb1960
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
so if you eat 1000 calories, exercise and restrict your fat to 10% why would you need xenical to lose weight? Just a thought?

Megan2006
10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
If someone is working out (and I mean, honestly exercising..) you need to eat more than 1000 calories. It's not safe to eat so little but exercise like that.
Why take Xenical? Because it helps people like me who have so much to lose, and are learning and getting into a pattern of eating healthy and living a good lifestyle. Will I be exercising and eating healthy? of course I will be. I'm not taking this as a cop-out and taking the easy way out. It was prescribed by my doctor to take for 3 months and get me started.

chuckleberry
10-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Just wondering how you ladies taking xenical are doing. My doctor has just agreed to let me have it if I can lose 6ibs on my own.

katie_oxo
11-09-2006, 09:42 AM
I've been taking Xenical for about 5 - 6 weeks now and it's working really well for me. I am watching what I eat (especially the fat content!) and have upped my exercise by walking and have lost 17lb so far which I am really happy with. I've only had one 'mishap' and hope not to have another one - I find that it works great for me and am hoping to stick with it and lose a lot more weight over the coming months.

jaceycat28
11-12-2006, 11:58 AM
so how is everyone doing on xenical. i am going to my doctor this week to go on it. she had mentioned that i could if i wanted but our insurance does not cover it. so we had to budget before going on it. just wanted to see how you are doing.

stopeating
11-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi, I just started taking xenical yesterday. So far I'm doing fine and am really excited. My insurance did not cover it and it is expensive so I am finding myself being really careful about eating fat so that I don't have to take a pill every meal. That's a plus already!

stopeating
11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay I've been taking Xenical for one week. So far the side effects are not as bad as I thought they would be. The first day I was afraid to leave home, but no problems. I have had some greasy foods, like scarfing pizza yesterday :?: and it does mess with the stomache. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I did not expect to so I'm okay so far. I read an article that said Xenical takes approximately 600 calories out of your diet every day. That's a little over a pound a week, so it is not a quick fix. I'll keep you updated.

stopeating
12-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Okay just keeping a log here. I have a hard time losing weight and the first two weeks I lost nothing, but I am excited to say that I have lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks! I take xenical with fatty meals only. If I'm eating low fat all day I don't take it, but if I'm going to a holiday party I do. It takes a little stress knowing that something else is working when I can't be as good. :)

killmisspiggy
12-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Hi! I only eat real meal during lunch. I eat fruits, vegetables and yogurt for lunch, dinner and snacks. So there's no fat there. I'm thinking of taking Xenical during lunch only. Do you think this will work?

stopeating
12-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes it will work. I sometimes go two or three days of eating very low fat and do not take a pill. But if we have meatloaf or pizza for a dinner, I take a pill during the meal. It has been working really well for me. I've always had a difficult time losing weight and it doesn't take much for me to put on, but the last two weeks I've lost two pounds each week. :) Have you every taken it before?

killmisspiggy
12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes it will work. I sometimes go two or three days of eating very low fat and do not take a pill. But if we have meatloaf or pizza for a dinner, I take a pill during the meal. It has been working really well for me. I've always had a difficult time losing weight and it doesn't take much for me to put on, but the last two weeks I've lost two pounds each week. :) Have you every taken it before?

This is my first time to try Xenical. Actually, I thought about taking it because Christmas and New Year is fast approaching. My family eats a lot on Holidays so I thought of a way to fight fats ;-) I'm planning on eating meat on Christmas Eve. I haven't eaten meat for a month now.

stopeating
12-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Sounds like me. Usually I can stick to a low fat diet but with the holidays and parties, I end up eating it. And of course, gain weight. Using xenical has helped me through those times and pizza parties with the kids too. :) I have actually lost weight throughout the holiday. :carrot: