Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Results - Not as good as I'd hoped...

So I didn't eat as clean as I should have.

And I probably didn't work out as often as I should have.

The results from my first week doing TurboJam. I measured last Sunday, then again this morning.

-1.5 pounds
-2.5 inches:

-1 inch (Chest)
-.5 inch (Each arm)
No Change (Waist)
No Change (Hips)
-.5 inch (Right thigh)
No Change (Left thigh)

I just can't seem to "eat clean." I always end up getting upset and diving into that big bowl of alfredo, or grabbing a few oreos on the way by. We can't NOT have them - this isn't our house, and my mother insists they HAVE to be in the house, on the table, right where I walk. Self-control is hard.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #2  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'4"

I know that your metabolism slows down as you get older but dang! Don't you usually lose the most weight on the first week of your diet? I'm doing weight watchers and I only lost 2.2 pounds!! I'm doing a contest with a friend - with a $1,000 prize - and she lost 8 pounds the first week! She's 6'3" and I'm only 5'4" - could that make a difference?? We are both about the same age and have about the same amount of weight to lose!! I am so impatient!!
Jerryschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Don't you usually lose the most weight on the first week of your diet?
Thanks for the support
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #4  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari

The results from my first week doing TurboJam. I measured last Sunday, then again this morning.

-1.5 pounds
-2.5 inches:

-1 inch (Chest)
-.5 inch (Each arm)
No Change (Waist)
No Change (Hips)
-.5 inch (Right thigh)
No Change (Left thigh)

I just can't seem to "eat clean." I always end up getting upset and diving into that big bowl of alfredo, or grabbing a few oreos on the way by. We can't NOT have them - this isn't our house, and my mother insists they HAVE to be in the house, on the table, right where I walk. Self-control is hard.

I know how you feel. If I didnt get snacks for my hubby and our boys, they'd probably kick me out of the house. and its one of the reasons that calorie counting works so well for me. If i grab a couple of oreo's on the way out the door, i just figure them into my fitday, no biggie. but i refrain from this as much as possible. because once you start figureing in those cookies and chips, it will eat up daily calories PDQ. Try those Special K chocolate drizzle bars. they are really good, only 90 calories, and they are great for a sweet fix, that wont gobble up you daily calories like oreos. as for self control, unfortunatly that's a LARGE percentage of dieting, something we have to practice practice. Good luck!!!
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'5

It is always hard to start A new diet ...I am A new dieter & I know that there is noway I could do it @ someone elses house with the stress & the temptaions be proud with those factors that you were able to lose anything, & you lost inches they say to look @ inches rather than the scale (thats impossible for me lol) my daughters friends mother is A trainor & she wont even put A scale in her house she measures herself every couple of weeks! Also are you exsercising @ all I walk quite A bit & do A little strenghth training I have been sick this week so I havent done much & I havent lost really lost much this week maybe a pound. another good idea for when u have cravings is try those pringles light 100 calorie packs or those 100 calories kudos bars they have mini mnm's on them & real chocolate they satisy my craving!!! goodluck!!!
mizz186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #6  

Actually, I think those are fantastic results! Any week I lose 1.5 lbs, I am patting myself on the back! I go too many weeks and don't lose anything, so your week looks like a success to me!
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have been eating 'clean', as you say (this is a new term for me), for the past seven weeks. Really I've been counting calories, so if I have anything processed I add it to my Fitday as the poster above mentioned. But I haven't lost anything in the past nearly two weeks. I'm working out a lot and eating right, losing inches slowly, but the scale just will not budge.

So I certainly feel your frustration, and some days it's hard for me to stick to my eating plan. Thankfully my mother is supportive and dieting with me rather than waving temptation in my face. I can't imagine how hard that is for you, I wish your mom was more supportive of your weight loss efforts. Those 100 calorie snack packs are really good, maybe if you kept some of those around it would help to be able to grab that instead of calorie-dense Oreos. At least that way it's a controlled amount of snack food, you know?

Losing weight is hard, but I commend you for trying even with the odds stacked against you. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let the number on the scale discourage you. I am trying to do the same myself right now, so at least we're not alone.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think you did great! This is a journey and it's a process figuring out how to make it work for you! I know I needed to learn some strategies to avoid eating the candy I pass by on our secretary's desk -- and I did it (haven't eaten from that basket in over a year -- I call it my victory basket)!

I would advise not trying to think about this as a race, but rather, that you are making choices everyday that should result in a healthier you -- and a thinner you. Making it a race tends to lead to disappointment for many of us if we aren't going as "fast" as we think we should. Don't focus on the end, focus on the journey. Are you exercising and generally eating well? If not, how can you make improvements? What are some of the things YOU most want to improve? Maybe to start, let yourself eat 3 oreos a day... then cut it back to 2, etc... Be mindful of the choices. And if you do eat the oreos, try to enjoy them!

Then, pay attention to those behaviors and pat yourself on the back when you are successful. If you aren't, try to figure out why it didn't work, so next time you will be more successful.

Just keep going -- you're doing great!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #9  
Going Hard in the Paint!

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari

-1.5 pounds
-2.5 inches:

-1 inch (Chest)
-.5 inch (Each arm)
No Change (Waist)
No Change (Hips)
-.5 inch (Right thigh)
No Change (Left thigh)

You started your post off rather defensively, stating that you didn't eat like you should, nor did you exercise like you should. So, how often did you exercise? What did you eat? "Bad" foods sometimes negate all the effort you put into exercise. Additionally, if you exercise like you "should" have, you can burn the calories from all the bad foods.

Unless you are doing the 10 pounds and 10 inches in 10 days, I would suggest that you not beat yourself up. One to two pounds per week is a good rate of loss. Additionally, I would suggest that you not measure every week. Try once a month. That way, your give your body time to make those changes. Drink more water. It will help you to feel full at times. When you crave that alfredo or those oreos, take a minute to think about WHY you are eating those things. Most cravings go away within two minutes. Take your mind off of it. Do something else. If you still want it, drink a glass of water. Even if you do wind up eating something, you might not eat as much.

Get yourself some Oreo 100-calorie packs if you must have snacks. They are great! There is a healthy, lower cal replacement for nearly everything that you can think off. Remember, don't beat yourself up. Just stay focused on your goal and try to stick to it.
REDEFINITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think 1.5lbs. lost and 2.5 inches is a great success. Keep up the good work. We all lose at different rates and Wyllen is right, it's not a race. Try to set small, achievable goals and look at it as a lifelong journey. Don't get discouraged if things don't happen super quickly. This was a problem that I had. I had my mind set that I would have all the extra weight off in a year. I didn't make it. It took me a little longer, but it still came off. I am still just as proud now that I made my goal, no matter how long it took. Good luck and best wishes to your continued success.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryschick
I know that your metabolism slows down as you get older but dang! Don't you usually lose the most weight on the first week of your diet? I'm doing weight watchers and I only lost 2.2 pounds!! I'm doing a contest with a friend - with a $1,000 prize - and she lost 8 pounds the first week! She's 6'3" and I'm only 5'4" - could that make a difference?? We are both about the same age and have about the same amount of weight to lose!! I am so impatient!!
Yes, and this is what may cause you to give up if you don't relax that attitude. Everyone is different. Everyone loses weight at different paces. There's no set RULE that says you're going to lose exactly 8 pounds in your first week. Your body will drop it as it sees fit and the best thing to do is to let your body do what it knows it needs to do.

Don't forget, the first so many pounds of initial weight loss is water. I guarantee at least half of her 8-pound loss was water alone.

Be happy about that 2.2 pounds. It's better than GAINING it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Set appropriate expectations. Sure, we all want 8 lb losses and quick quick quick weight loss. 1.5 lbs per week is EXCELLENT. Anytime the scale moved downward for me, I celebrated. There are going to be weeks when the scale won't budge, no matter how clean you eat or how much you work out. Be prepared for how you will react when you don't get positive reinforcement from the scale, you're going to need to get that positive reinforcement internally or you might give up.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #13  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

1.5 pounds is great - a loss is still a loss, right? As for expecting more from the exercise, I find it generally takes a couple weeks to see the benefit of exercise, whereas I see changes from eating better a lot faster. Before I started changing my eating habits, I went to the gym 3-5 times a week, walked everywhere, biked a lot... and it didn't put a dent in my weight, because i was still consuming so much food. You're obviously doing something right, since you have lost weight and inches - it may not feel spectacular, but you're on the right track. One thing I would suggest doing is buying some of those 100-calories packs of oreos, and putting those on the table by the bowl of the bad oreos. Everytime you're tempted to eat a cookie, grab a couple of the mini ones from the 100-pack and walk away. I know they're not the same as the real thing, but it might be what you need to get you away from the cookies and to deal with the craving. It's the first few weeks, while you're training yourself to eat differently, that are the most difficult. Don't give up - you can do this!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

I think you did awesoome! try expecting NO loss and then you'll be soo happy when you lose 1.5 lbs!!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_ttw
1 One thing I would suggest doing is buying some of those 100-calories packs of oreos, and putting those on the table by the bowl of the bad oreos.
Or a big bowl of fruit.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote