Old 07-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #1  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hi, I'm a newbie!

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. This is my second time low-carbing. I started with Atkins for the first time about 18 months ago. It went well for the two months I was on it. I had to stop though because I was allowing it to take over my life.

I was obsessed with counting carbs. If I went 2 or 3 over, I had a bad day. One night I even had a nightmare that I forgot that I was on Atkins and ate 2 or 3 Lifesavers. My husband, who was concerned about me, finally suggested that I try something else when I was worried that didn't cut my avocado exactly in half. It was really bad...

I restarted Atkins on July 10. Well, it's more Atkinsesque. I'm not counting my carbs, but I'm avoiding refined sugars and starches, fruit (until I lose at least 50 pounds) and juice. I'm also being mindful having too much saturated fat and count back on fat when I can. For instance, I'm using Pam instead of oil when I can. I'm also taking the skin off my chicken and cutting fat off of steak. Instead of really dieting, I'm eating the way I want to eat for the rest of my life. Except I won't be eating fruit or eating pita bread too often right now.

So it's been 11 days and I've lost 5 or 6 pounds. If I'd followed the Atkins plant to a t, I'd have lost more. But I'm happier this way. And not stressed. At any rate, I am happy I found this forum. I've been browsing on and off for a couple of months and I've read some great information here. I hope to continue ot benefit as well as share helpful information with the rest of you.
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #2  
searching 4 the real me

Hi Amanda!! Welcome to 3FC. I restarted Atkins 14 days ago and I've lost about 12 pounds. I probably could have lost a little more if I exercised more but that's okay. Alot has been going on this past month. I've been cheat free my 14 days so far so I am very satisfied with that. I am worried about next week though. We're going out of town on a family vacation to San Diego. I'm going to do my best when we eat out and I'm taking alot of snacks that is allowable on the induction phase. I know we will get our exercise in with all the walking we will be doing.

Congrats on the pounds that you have lost!!! Keep up the good work.

Jenn~
ssgtswife33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

Welcome Amanda I think your plan sounds AWESOME! I think it's great that you've managed to re-adjust things to something you can do for the rest of your life Keep it up and come join us on the weekly thread
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Welcome Amanda, I have been doing Atkins for a little over a year. I also tweaked this woe to fit my lifestyle. I don't eat the recommended amount of fat. I do eat liberally of fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of lean protein. I now have Oats for breakfast a couple days a week. Even with these changes, just by avoiding the white bread, white rice, white flour, white pasta and sugar , I have been able to lose the weight quite well. I do cardio at least 30 minutes , 4 times a week. Atkins is a good plan and sometimes it needs to be adjusted to how a person can eat this way for life, so this is what worked for me. I probably would have lost weight faster if I hadn't adjusted it, but I would have had more trouble sticking to it. Good luck .
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!

Amanda!!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!!!

I've been on Atkins for over 2 years. I'm like Lilybelle in the fact that I've tweaked a few things. I've always eaten more salad & veggies than what is recommended. Lets face it, salad & veggies is not what made us fat to begin with!! I've recently found low carb/low sugar yogurt (I believe its made by Dannon) that I've been having for breakfast. I don't really eat a lot of red meats, mostly I'll have fish or chicken. I drink plenty of water, take my vitamins & get daily exercise. Atkins, when done correctly, is a healthy way of life.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #6  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thank you for all your kind words. I love being here already.
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #7  
Danielle-Red Team Member

Height: 5'4"

This is my 3rd attempt (and am praying finally it's stuck!) on Atkins. I am a firm believer that what works for one person may not always work for another even if the core behind the woe is the same. Did that make sense? I am running on fumes this afternoon with lackof sleep so forgive me if I make no sense!

Tweaking this plan to fit your lifestyle is the only way to go IMO. There are people who can do it strictly as written and others who find it needs to be modified to a point to keep them going or to even lose weight. Good for you for doing what YOU needed to do to make you happy. I know you will find huge success, you sound very motivated and excited to be making your changes.

Best of luck to you! Everyone here has been pretty nice and supportive so keep coming by for your daily dose!
Hope to see more of you here, I know you'll do great.

♥danielle
Sugar-N-Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Amanda!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote