General Diet Plans and Questions - Vacation Anxiety

View Full Version : Vacation Anxiety

07-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm getting nervous about my upcoming vacation- I really don't understand what they mean by putting the plan on "hold" except that they don't expect me to go to center- I tried asking a counselor today about whether I am to follow the plan or not and all she said was to set a goal, ie. not gain or lose a pound and she also kept trying to push that juice drink to flush out anything I gain.

I don't know about you'all but I am sure I could do some serious damage (more than two or three pounds) if I was to eat completely off plan

Just curious about what ya'll have done when you went away. I can see trying to follow the plan, but there will be times when I can't- I wish I had some help in how to figure that part out???:?:

07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I would say make a goal to do what you can to stay at the weight that you are at right now. Not to gain, not to lose.

Have fun on your vacation!

This year I completely skipped the vacation to the river because I wouldnt wear a bathing suit or even shorts! Everyone went without me - so dont let the worry over this ruin you vacation, you will be sad, I was.

Repo girl
07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I would operate on maybe a 75/25 theory. 75% percent of the time, eat well, the other 25% it is okay to splurge. For instance, if I were you, I would try to be good for breakfast and lunch, then a little less good for dinner. Have fun!!!

07-21-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd love to give you some advice but on my recent vacation I was the perfect example of what not to do when you go on vacation. Some other chicks have done far better than me so I'm sure they will jump in. Also, when you put the plan on hold they do not count those weight loss weeks against you so it is like you aren't using them. Most counselors would say you are to follow the plan even while you're gone, but at times that just isn't realistic. Try not to worry, you'll be fine! If you do gain on vacation, it will come off pretty quickly because most of it will be water.

I forgot to ask, where are you going?

Rhode Island...
I should know better that any gain is not permanent, but sometimes I feel like that woman in the commercial with the bathroom scale shackled to her feet... Maybe I should hide the scale- I was actually considering bringing it with me. :dizzy:

07-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I also am heading out for a trip on Sunday and I am worried about the same thing. I think I will be good for most of the trip and splurg on one dinner. That way I figure I save $ on most of my meals as well. You could bring some instant oatmeal in the morning, at least that's my plan. Bottom line is that if this is truly a lifestyle change then it should extend into every part of your life. Would the "new" you eat like the "old" you? That is what I ask myself. When I think of it that way I think "yeah, I want to stay on it!".

07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
I agree with Katie do something like 75/25 or like pick one meal a day where you can eat what you want and the rest of the time stick with the plan. Its vacation you are allowed to have a little fun!!! Good luck!!

07-22-2006, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with the others--do the best you can when you can. Some meals are easier than others. On our MB vacation the hotel had the cont. breakfast with yogurt and fruit so that helped, everywhere has some sort of a grilled chicken or fish, as well as salads. But there will certainly be times you want something off plan and I that's fine, too. So far everyone (that I can think of) on this site that has splurged and gained a little on vacation has just jumped back on plan and gotten then back off very quickly. Kristi is right--a lot of what you see when you return is water--don't stress--it's VACATION for goodness sake. And I agree--DO NOT pack the scales--LOL. Have fun.

07-22-2006, 12:46 PM
1st dont take the scale. When i went to NY on vaca for 10 days i planned on staying OP but time just didnt allow it. When i ate i tried to be good but when all there is, is fast food its kinda hard. I was there to do my sons christening and i was so busy i didnt have the chance to eat most of the time. I did have alot of things i miss because i lived in NY a long time and its where i got fat. I had to satisfy my cravings or i would have done it on other things and it would have been worse. Do not deprive yourself, it just makes things harder and you may have a harder fall. Just go and have fun and try to be OP but if you cant its ok. I gained 5lbs on my vaca and when i came back i did TO and did lemon water and by the time i went back in to the COD a week later i was back to the weight i was before vaca. Think about it. How many years did it take you to gain all the extra weight? You are not going to gain that much in 1 week or 2, it will be mostly water. Have fun, just get back on when you get home. Goodluck.