Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Height: 5'8

Default filling snack ideas...

Hi everyone, I am looking for some ideas for filling health snack ideas. I am a fruit and veggie lover so I already get plenty of that. I am looking for something different. People in the past have said hummus. I am not sure if I will like it. I hate the idea of wasting it. So I do not buy it. It looks gross. So does cottage cheese but I do like that once in awhile. I had a bad night last night I wil copy and past in the post I left on the winnig losers board. I am not picky I shop at stop and shop and super wal-mart Any ideas would be helpful. I am going food shopping today. Thanks for the help

Hey everyone I hope you all had a great day yesterday. I had a minor slip last night. I was sooooooo hungry after dinner. Not sure why. I ate very well all day. My husband wanted hamburgers so I made his burgers and I had a boca burger on my light roll and teaspoon of light mayo. We also had fried potatos with onion.They were made with olive oil. I wonder if the potatos is what did me in? So I drank my water that was not helping. I ate 2 fig newtons that worked for a bit. Then It was watermelon and grapes ok that did it. THEN midnight I could not fall asleep and was HUNGRY it was on, I ate 2 quaker oatmeal breakfast cookies and had some milk... Took my xanax so I could fall asleep. Now I am facing a new day. I hope I can keep my hunger in check today. I am not sure what is going on. Maybe because I am burning extra cals at the gym too? Maybe adding more of something like fiber? But what? Any suggestions? Have a great day everyone..
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

As for hummus, I'd say buy it and try it. Only way you'll know is if you try it. I'd also try a small container of 1-2% cottage cheese (don't try nonfat first). You can try drinking fiber in the morning, like sugar free metamucil or even fiber pills. You need to make sure you are getting enough fiber and protein, as those are very filling. For veggies, I love carrots as they are very filling. You could also try natural peanut butter with celery. Nuts are also very filling so you could snack on a few of those or sunflower seeds. I recently bought some dry roasted edamame (soy product) and they are really good and healthy.

Finding what foods work for you is key to weight loss. You may experiment and find things you don't like, but that is how it goes. I have actually learned to love things that I didn't like very much at first.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #3  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Nelie, nuts are great (in moderation). I routinely eat almonds, pecans, macadamias, walnuts, cashews and pistachios as snacks. Sometimes I have nuts mixed w/ dried fruit. Although they are not nuts per se, I have recently added sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds to this list. I also eat natural peanut butter every day for breakfast but if I didn't, I'd probably have it as part of a snack. Very satisfying.

While not all my snacks contain protein, I think eating a snack with protein is the way to go if you are very hungry. Protein satisfies and sticks with you longer than carbs. That being said, other snacks I eat include: yogurt, fruit, small bowl of cereal, hard boiled egg, glass of milk.

Good luck finding out what works for you!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

You can make your own hummus or hummus type spread for under a $1. Just drain a can of chick peas, white beans, black beans, even baked beans and put it into a food processor. Add a little seasoning if you'd like (I use a little piece of fresh onion, a dash or two of onion powder or a little dry ranch dressing mix, and a bit of fresh or dried cilantro, parsley, or chives), and process until it is smooth. If it seems too thick, taste and add a bit of wet ingredient to balance (I say taste because you can add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar if you'd like it a little tarter, or a little bit of light dressing, olive oil, or apple juice if you want it a bit sweeter, ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, or just plain water).

Use it as a dip for veggies, rice cakes, toast.

It sounds a bit weird at first, but it is really good. And you can make it in so many ways, you'll find one you like. When I have a taste for barbecue, I take a can of baked beans, some onion, green pepper, and a little ketchup or bbq sauce and whir it up in the food processor. I found the recipe in a Susan Powter cookbook, and it sounded so weird, but I thought what the heck, I had only paid $.39 for the beans at Aldi's. I heated it up a little in the microwave, and put it on toast triangles, and it was really good!

I also like white beans (cannelini, lima or butter beans), onion, and light italian dressing or ranch dressing. I like this a bit chunky, so I don't process it quite as long.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

For non veggie snacks I choose the following Triskets, Pretzels, Light String Cheese, Skinny Cow Ice Cream.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Have an ounce or two of chicken, a small piece of cheese, some popcorn, a yogurt. Find something to add to the fruits and veg, which might not fill you up on their own.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I really like triscuits and laughing cow cheese reduced fat.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Height: 5'8

Thanks everyone you all gave some really great ideas
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #9  

Soy nuts are good, celery with peanut butter or lite whole wheat toast with peanut butter; strawberries and blueberries with lite Cool Whip (one of my very favorites); whole wheat toast with sugar free jelly; meat, cheese and crackers.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote