General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #1  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Default Totally OT, but you guys are so smart!

I have a question, maybe one of you has an answer. I have been writing books for my kids since they were little. I have often wondered about getting published. Yesterday my friend was over here and read some of my books. She and DH were really urging me to try to find a publisher. My question is HOW? I do not have the first clue what you do to get published. Any wisdom?
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #2  

I think one of the only ways to get to the publishers is through an agent. I would start sending your stuff to agents and see if one of them will pick you up or has any advice. I've never done any writing myself, but my mother-in-law has and it's hard to get the publishers to look at anything unless it comes from an agent. Good luck! I think that's awesome you do that.
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Katie, when you're in a bookstore (or on Amazon) look for a book called "Writers Market." It's published annually, so the current one is "2006 Writer's Market."

In recent years they have also split the original book into "Writer's Market" and "Fiction and Short Story Writer's Market" and "Children's Writers and Illustrators Market." so you might want to take a look at all of them to see which one looks more suitable for your style.

The books include lists of book and magazine publishers, and indicates who's accepting new authors, what their requirements are, submission guidelines, where to send, whether you need an agent or can send something in "over the transom," etc. They also list all the contact info for many writer's agents. There are also some interesting tips and articles for writers in general.

The new editions for 2007 will be published in August, so you might want to wait a few weeks. They're published by Writer's Digest, which has been printing directories and magazines for writers since 1921.

Good luck!! :-))

Last edited by CafeAmericain; 07-20-2006 at 08:28 PM.
CafeAmericain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Katie--how cool--you truly are a jack of all trades! What a neat "gift" to your children.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #5  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Katie my BF had to write a story last semester for one of his classes and his teacher has urged him to try and get it published. It is true that its typically easier to get it published if you have an Agent but thats at your bigger publishing companies you need to try for a smaller company. My BF's teacher gave him a list I will see if i can get it from him to give you a few places to check out.
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #6  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Thanks everyone!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote