Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #1  
Fat-be-gone

Default Bally's Total Fitness

Can anybody give me a rough estimate of what membership fees are at Bally's?? Terms of agreement?? I'm interested in joining and juts want to know about how much it will be.

Thanks!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

Height: 5'9

I have been a member for about 15 years. We now pay 20.00 a month. Bally has a website with info on membership. You might check that out.
channning102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #3  
Fat-be-gone

I did but it doesn't really say anything about prices. I think I'm going to try the $19 for 30 day trial thing. I know if I call for info they are not going to straight out and tell me the prices or the terms of the contract.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/144/140

What I do remember is they let me try it for free for two weeks, extended the free trial for another two weeks when I told them I was not yet ready to decide, and then continued to call me with lower and lower offers the entire time. They finally gave me an offer I couldn't refuse, I pay $23.90 a month with the daycare package and I can use any of their locations, etc.
Hope that helps
hart104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #5  
Meg

The standard contract is $39.00/month for a three year contract. Renewal dues after the three years are up are cheaper, like Channing's. Mine are $22/month. The $19 contract that's advertised is for alternate days of the week - you have to pick Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday OR Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I believe it also has a $150 down payment and is limited to use of one club only.

There used to be something like 36 different offers available at one time and within the past year the whole pricing structure has been overhauled to be much less complicated. Definitely ask for a two week pass to try it out first!

And be sure to take advantage of your orientation and first work out from your friendly Ballys personal trainer.

BTW, I should tell you that I walked in the doors of my Ballys at 257 pounds and ended up working there as a personal trainer. Who knows? It could happen to you too!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #6  
Fat-be-gone

That would be awesome!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I can't say but be cautious... I got very badly "skinned" by Bally when I moved out of state and the one where I currently live is filthy dirty and way out in the toolies and not a safe place for me to go at night... I went first with a male friend to look it over and we were both horrified at it... an absolute rat hole. Yet Bally's said it was "close enough" so I could not cancel my contract. Okay I understand that... but I asked over and over for a copy of my contract so I could sell it (which I was supposed to be allowed to do) but they never did send it until it got too late and I ended up losing hundreds of dollars which I had to pay and couldn't use.

Others apparently have been more successful with it... I'm not saying don't join; just be very careful. I learned the hard way.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #8  
Going Hard in the Paint!

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7"

I was thinking about joining because Bally's just came to my city and the commercials were attracting me, but I was turned off when I called for a price quote. The guy that answered the phone was a total jerk! He refused to quote me a price on the phone and insisted that I come in for a tour. I didn't bother going because all I wanted was a price. Secondly, I felt that it was a ploy to sucker me into a contract. I don't ever want to enter into a gym contract again. I'll just stick with the YMCA.
REDEFINITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #9  

That is what they did to me too... but it was a gorgeous new gym a few blocks from my home in Fort Lauderdale so I joined it. But I joined a more expensive program so I COULD sell the contract if and when I needed to; then got ripped out of that opportunity because they simply would not give me a copy of it later when I asked for it.... in spite of repeated promises to do so. But the gym in my new location honestly looked like a druggie hangout and as if it had not been cleaned in 20 years but according to Bally it was close enough to my home for me to go to. At that time I too gave up and lost my $$$ and joined the YMCA.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #10  
Going Hard in the Paint!

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
But the gym in my new location honestly looked like a druggie hangout and as if it had not been cleaned in 20 years but according to Bally it was close enough to my home for me to go to. At that time I too gave up and lost my $$$ and joined the YMCA.
I am totally shocked because from the website and commercials, one would think that all the Bally's gyms were gorgeous. I sorry that you had to go through that.

I think that the YMCA is a good gym and I can go to any Y in the country. The good thing is that there is likely to be a Y in every state, unlike Bally's. That way, I have NO excuse for not going to the gym, nor do I have to worry about trying to get guest passes or temporary memberships and stuff. The Y may not be as fancy as Bally's, but they offer a lot of programs and I think that I am getting my money's worth.
REDEFINITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been a Bally's member for 5 years and I've used it off and on in various states. I think my initial agreement was $700 for 3 years for a nationwide membership, then $60/year after that. My yearly amount increases every year, right now it is about $90/year. I recently added my BF for $16.5/month to my membership. As Meg says, they have changed their pricing structure because I think it used to be very dependant on which gym you joined and who signed your contract.

My current Ballys is probably my least favorite of any Ballys that I've ever been to. My favorite was the one that used to be a Gold's gym. The upside of my current gym is it doesn't seem to get as crowded during prime time as other Ballys that I've been to. Overall, I've had a pretty good experience with them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #12  

I am fortunate now in that we have a fitness center at my apartment complex, and a nice pool in the summer. For winter there are two pools not too far from me where you can pay a couple bucks or so each time and not have to join; so I will probably do that this winter.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

I just saw a sign for Ballys in town advertising a price of $156 dollars for a four month membership.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote