Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #1  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

Here are a couple of new recipes I tried this week.

Curried Stuffed Chicken Breast: 1 serving, PSVVF

6 oz. Chicken breast (or size according to plan)
½ med. Carrot shredded
5 green onions
½ tsp. curry powder
1 slice of lite bread, toasted and cubed
2 tbsp. raisins
1 tbsp. water
1/8 tsp. lite salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
In a small Saucepan combine water, carrots, green onion and curry powder. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove pan from heat, add breaded cubes and raisins. Toss together to combine. With meat mallet, pound chicken to ¼” thickness. Sprinkle chicken w/ salt. Place chicken in baking dish. Place stuffing on one half of chicken breast, fold breast in half. Sprinkle w/ paprika. If needed, secure w/ toothpick. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 min or until chicken is done.

DH really liked this; I thought it was okay but a little bland. Next time I might add some different veggies and spices in the stuffing and I think cheese in the middle would be good also.

Savory Beef Stew: 4 servings, PSVFa

24 oz. beef top round, cut into 1” cubes
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
4 sweet chili peppers, seeded and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
6 fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 cups low-sodium beef broth (I added more)
1 cup hot water
½ tsp. dried oregano, crushed
½ cup lite tomato sauce (I added a little more)
2 bay leaves
½ lb. carrots, peeled and chopped (I added more for DH)
½ lb. potatoes, peeled and cubed (I added more for DH)
¼ lb. green peas (I substituted sliced mushrooms so I could count another veggie)
12 olives, stuffed w/ pimientos (I didn’t use these because I didn’t have any)
1 tbsp. capers
In a Dutch oven heat 1 tbsp. of broth. Add the beef and stir constantly until meat begins to brown. Add the next 11 ingredients (through the bay leaves), mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour. Add carrots. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until meat is fork tender. Add potatoes, peas, olives and capers. Mix well; bring to a boil, than reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until veggies are tender.

DH and DS really liked this. It brought back memories of how we ate prior to LAWL. I liked it, but I had to use ketchup on mine.

Beef Stroganoff: 1 serving, PVV 4ozD

(Most of you may be familiar w/ this because it’s from the old cookbook, there is a different one in the new cookbook but I haven’t tried it yet)

Sirloin beef, size according to plan
1 cup low sodium beef broth, divided
1 tbsp. ketchup
1/8 tsp. lite salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
5 green onions
1 tbsp. flour
4 oz. non-fat plain yogurt
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
Cut beef into strips. Spray skillet w/ pan. Brown the beef. Add 2/3 cup broth, ketchup, salt, and garlic power into skillet. (I also add in a little Worcestershire sauce and a little yellow mustard) Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer until beef is tender. Add mushrooms and onion. Simmer covered until onion is tender. Mix 1/3 cup broth and flour in container w/ lid, shake until flour dissolves. Add it to the beef gradually. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in yogurt, heat through. It doesn’t say to serve this over noodles, but I couldn’t image eating it without (so that would be a starch serving as well). This doesn’t get overly thick and I was a little nervous about using the yogurt the first time. We make this every few weeks and I usually triple the recipe, but I still only use 8oz. of yogurt.
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote