Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #1  

Default Treadmill question

Last week I went to the gym and used their treadmill several times. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was able to walk without feeling winded. Today I walked on my treadmill at home. It seemed as if I had to work harder to maintain the same speed as the gym.

I mentioned it to my DH and he said it is probably because the gym has higher quality machines that get used more often. As such, he guessed, the belt moves easier.

I attribute the extra sweating to the fact that my house is probably somewhat warmer than the gym.

So, do you think my DH is right, or is there another reason?
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

It could be a little of both. I know I don't like to workout in warm or hot temperatures. I always set the air condition to about 70 during my workout and move it back to normal when finished.

I've also been on a lower-end treadmill (cheaper) before and it was almost impossible to get going on it. I love the treadmill I have. Do some reviews online on your treadmill to see what people have to say about that particular model. I like epinions.com. Maybe it is a common complaint with that model.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #3  

were you more tired etc than the other day????

might not just be hte treadmill..

saying that went on 2 diffrent types at my gym and one was most defo fast than the other at the same settings.. v odd !
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #4  
it's always something

I spray the underside of my treadmill belt with silicone spray and it keeps the belt moving easier and faster. This was recommended by the manufacturer. If you have not lubricated the belt on your treadmill, then it may take more effort to cover the same distance. I'm guessing the treadmills at the gym are regularly maintained.

Another thing that might cause a difference would be incline. If your treadmill at home is slightly inclined, you'll notice the difference.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
New Beginning, New ME!

S/C/G: 162/133/125

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Incline being the issue. My treadmill can face the wall and my workout is fine going 3.5-4.2 MPH but if I turn it toward the TV (opposite direction) then it is on unlevel floor (house was built in the 40s and has original hardwood floors) and has an incline and 3.5mph has me sweating buckets.

My manual to my treadmill says not to spray it with Silicone. I know the manual treadmills have to be sprayed but mine is motorized and it said not to. I have had it since February with no problems. I have the one at walmart its the Image 17.0R or something like that.
LeaLee is offline   Reply With Quote